PDA

View Full Version : The Great Chuck Daly on Mavs

Red Hawk #21
05-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Daly views: Coaching legend says Carlisle right for Dallas Mavericks

07:38 PM CDT on Friday, May 16, 2008

The two spoke several days before the Mavericks had the need to search for a new coach.

Rick Carlisle told Chuck Daly things were going well. He loved spending time with his family, enjoyed his TV job and didn't know if the right opportunity would open up.

"He told me he would not take a coaching job unless he was confident it was the kind of team he would like to coach and could win games," Daly said.

Maybe Carlisle wasn't blowing smoke with his positive spin during his introductory news conference. It seems he really does believe the Mavericks' damaged core can be salvaged.

Is Carlisle the right man for the job? Daly thinks so.

It's not hard to find a coach to say good things about a former assistant. But how many of those coaches have a spot in the Hall of Fame? How many won two NBA titles and an Olympic gold medal?

Daly worked with a lot of talented people during a coaching career that spanned five decades. He considers Carlisle one of the brightest.

"As I think back on it, he's always remained the most curious, constantly seeking information, and will listen," Daly said. "He's a solid basketball guy. He's not afraid of change. He's very, very intelligent. When you get to know him, he's a warm, fun guy. But not everyone gets to know him.

"Maybe that's OK. You certainly can't be all things to all people in the coaching world today."

The two have been friends since the early 1990s, when Carlisle was an assistant on Daly's staff in New Jersey. Daly will tell you Carlisle is a good golfer – although he never touches a club during the season – and an even better coach.

Listen to the first two names Daly mentions when talking about Carlisle's coaching philosophy.

"All of the good ones, Larry Brown, Gregg Popovich, have their teams play really good defense," Daly said. "They understand defense and rebounding and not giving teams a second shot. They know how to run, but they don't run crazy. They shoot 3s, but not to the point of an obsession.

"Rick coaches playoff basketball. He teaches playoff basketball. You know what else? He's a tireless worker."

Daly has long believed the key on offense is to get shots for your best players and have everyone else play off them. He said Carlisle is "very good at that."

Daly said the new Mavericks coach will allow his point guard to run the show, which is welcome news for Jason Kidd. He said Carlisle will have the Mavericks doing everything they need to do on the defensive end.

But he's also realistic.

"Let's not kid ourselves," Daly said. "Any of these jobs are challenging. Portland. The [LA] Lakers. San Antonio. Phoenix. Dallas. New Orleans. Utah. You've got your hands full out there. I don't care who the coach is."

Daly is retired and lives in Florida. But he still follows the NBA and offered his opinion on the state of the Mavericks:

"I felt all year they were suffering from what happened to them last year," Daly said. "Now, this comes from a guy who is thousands of miles away, but something was missing in their attitude. It's hard to measure, but they seemed down over their loss from the year before, even two years ago. It took something out of their spirit.

"The talent is there. They need the spirit."

Carlisle is charged with reviving that spirit.

Among other things.

"They got a good one," Daly said. "He's got the whole package."

My View
I see Hope for the Mavs, I want the Mavs to succeed because they and their Fans have been through hell these past years from The super rigged finals were Wade got to the freethrow line 97 times, to the terrible matchup with the Warriors, to the Kidd Trade that is not working so well right now, to the Firing of Avery. You guys have been through a lot and I wish the Mavs organization well. :toast

endrity
05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Thnx Red Hawk, you have been really supportive of all the Mavs fans in here. It's because of you that I was rooting hard for the Hawks these playoffs.

Red Hawk #21
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Thnx Red Hawk, you have been really supportive of all the Mavs fans in here. It's because of you that I was rooting hard for the Hawks these playoffs.

No Problem Endrity, Of all the Western teams I usually root for the Spurs and Mavs. The Mavs have been through alot but I know they will break through some day and then Mavs fans who suffered through the tough times like you will enjoy it and always remember it. :toast

Biggems
05-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Chuck D was an awesome coach. Wish he was the Spurs coach during the first half of Robinson's career.....I think we would have won a Championship if he had been.