PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry: Greg Popovich Is a Better Coach than Phil Jackson

csl24
05-16-2008, 08:44 PM
In Horry’s opinion, Popovich ranks at the very top among the coaches who worked during the 16 years Horry has played in the NBA.

Though three of Horry’s seven championship rings were earned under Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has won nine titles as head coach of the Michael Jordan-era Bulls and the Shaquille O’Neal-era Lakers, he gives Popovich the nod over Jackson.

“Phil wouldn’t yell at the top dogs,” Horry said. “Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That’s the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil.

“If you’d have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he’d have more rings than Phil.”

ChumpDumper
05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Scoop.

brettn
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
That's nice to hear Horry say that, makes me happy.

BlackSwordsMan
05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Jordan wants out of retirement now.

E20
05-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Who's scoop?

spursfaninla
05-16-2008, 08:58 PM
scoop b/c he did not list where he got it, as if he wrote the article.

high praise, horry would know, he was obviously around for some of those la championships after all...

plus, he puts some perspective with his time in houston...

SnakeBoy
05-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I'd have to see the source. Doesn't sound like something Horry would say.

CubanMustGo
05-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Source:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051308.spursnotes.en.31b9d49.html

duncan228
05-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Here's where it came from.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051308.spursnotes.en.31b9d49.html

Spurs Notebook: Duncan, Bowen on All-Defensive team
By Mike Monroe

Historic perspective: Since no player in NBA history has more playoff experience than Robert Horry, his opinion counts for plenty.

In Horry's opinion, Popovich ranks at the very top among the coaches who worked during the 16 years Horry has played in the NBA.

Though three of Horry's seven championship rings were earned under Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who has won nine titles as head coach of the Michael Jordan-era Bulls and the Shaquille O'Neal-era Lakers, he gives Popovich the nod over Jackson.

“Phil wouldn't yell at the top dogs,” Horry said. “Pop will yell at the top dogs, just like he yells at the bottom dogs. That's the biggest key. And Pop preaches defense a little more than Phil.

“If you'd have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he'd have more rings than Phil.”

greens
05-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I like that Robert is complimenting Pop. But I also find it a bit insulting about the "talent" comment.

Aren't Tim/Manu/Tony considered to be very talented? It sounds like he's saying that if Pop had as much talent around him as Phil did, then he'd be more successful. But if you look at it in another way, it's like saying that Pop doesn't have too much talent around him at the moment. HOWEVER, he could mean other than the Big Three and Bruce, there are no other "big stars" on the team?

bobbybob0
05-17-2008, 07:58 AM
I like that Robert is complimenting Pop. But I also find it a bit insulting about the "talent" comment.

I'm fine with this comment.

As good as they are Manu and Tony are not in the same class as Jordan, Kobe and Shaq (during his LA days) talent-wise.

JamStone
05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Comment would have more credibility if Horry was already retired and a few years removed from playing.

Shaq is notorious for praising current coaches over former coaches.

Horry's objectivity is currently a bit skewed.

Both are great coaches. And neither could have had the success each enjoyed without some great players. And, it's not so cut and dry for a "good" coach to have the resolve to yell at superstars. Each team is made up of players that the coach has to find the best way to deal with. Yelling at Shaq would have never worked for Phil Jackson. It wouldn't have worked for Pop. Shaq is too sensitive. A coach has to also know his personnel and what best motivates them.

I'm not saying that either is a better coach but using the fact that Pop yells at superstars, to me, isn't an example that proves Pop is the better coach.

LakerLanny
05-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Phil isn't afraid to get on his star players also, he does it a little differently. He may call them out in public with little sarcastic comments questioning their heart or manhood and it tends to get their attention.

The Colonel (as in Colonel Sanders) also doesn't overuse the yelling tactic so when he does get pissed off, the players tend to perk up.

One thing Phil does that continues to amaze me is trust players who are slumping. A current example would be Jordan Farmar who basically was neutered and fed his nuts by Deron Williams in this last series. Yet Phil kept sticking with him, even giving him MORE minutes than usual in the Game 6 on the road.

That drives fans like me insane as the guy is getting beaten over and over again like a drum, but it certainly must give him a lot of juice with the players. Phil can say "Hey, I believe in you" and he proves it when he plays them even when they are tanking.

When the Lakers win the title this year, that will be an even 10 for Phil as a coach. Like him or not, you will respect that.

Shaolin-Style
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll respect MJ and between the half respects I have for Shaq and Kobe I'll give them one full respect put together but I won't respect Phil Collins, especially not when he wins the Lanny World NBA Championship this year.

Dopey310
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
“If you’d have given Pop all the talent Phil had, I think he’d have more rings than Phil.”

I don't buy this statement at all. Phil went on a three peat his second year as the head coach. In the 7 years that he's coached MJ, he only failed to win a title his first year as a head coach. 6 out of 7 with Mike ain't too shabby. It's almost impossible to have a better run than Phil did with the Bulls. As an active coach, he basically won 6 straight championship. He wins a second three peat, takes a year off, and goes on another three pear. The Shaq-Kobe Lakers were together for 5 years under Phil and he won 3 rings and made it to the final 4 times.The only year they failed to make it to the finals was when Horry went on a mega brick fest against the Spurs in 03. When Phil's had a "championship caliber team", he's only failed to win the title 2 times. ( his first season, and 03) In his first 14 years as a head coach, he made it to the final 10 times and won 9 times . In two of those years, Scottie Pippen was his 1st option. I mean, realistically, to outdue Phil's career, you would basically have to win the title every single year.

Then you look at Phil's run after he came back to the Lakers the second time. His first year, he took the Lakers to a 45-37 record with Kwame and Smush as his starting PG and center. His second year, which was last year, was probably his only "underachieving" year. But realistically, with basically the same talent as 06 and all the injuries, what more does anyone expect? And then you have this year, and he's already taken his young team to the WCF already. I seriously doubt Pop would have more success with the talent that Phil had , that's not a knock on Pop, but Phil's basically maximized the talent he was given.

Fabbs
05-17-2008, 12:17 PM
2004 thus no way can it be said that Phil had more talent then Poppycock every year, let alone most years.

Detroit went on to work the Lakers 4-1 in the Finals.

Pop went from up 2-0 to an 0-4 buttkicking.

21_Blessings
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Detroit went on to work the Lakers 4-1 in the Finals.

Malone and Fox were hurt. Payton turned cancer. Shaq was fat, out of shape, crying about his 'extension'. Kobe was heading to trial for sexual assault. And for some reason, everybody was acting like the Lakers were unbeatable despite that horrid bench on top of all other aforementionedl issues. Lakers never had a prayer. The refs made a KILLING that series, that much is guaranteed.

Fabbs
05-17-2008, 12:44 PM
"Payton turned cancer." Same Payton two weeks earlier vs Poppycock. Phil listened to Paytons simple suggestion to stop the triangle and do more pic n roll. It worked. Pop made no counter adjustment.

"Shaq was fat, out of shape, crying about his 'extension'. " Believe it not he was also fat, out of shape and crying about his 'extension' two weeks earlier also.

"Kobe was heading to trial for sexual assault." Ditto, two weeks.

"And for some reason, everybody was acting like the Lakers were unbeatable despite that horrid bench on top of all other aforementionedl issues. Lakers never had a prayer." Everyone except Larry Brown.

"The refs made a KILLING that series, that much is guaranteed." Laker myopia. Nothing new.

"Malone and Fox were hurt." That i will grant you. Malone being hurt vs Detroit hurt the Lakers. El Cheapshot did have an effect on the Lakers, they played much better team ball with him.

K-State Spur
05-17-2008, 12:46 PM
It should also be noted that talent is a relative thing.

This Spurs team could have cruised through the West during the latter half of the 90s. They also would have posed a much bigger threat to the 3-peat Lakers than any of the teams that we actually did put on the floor during those seasons. But if they lose in this round this year, nobody is going to remember the team as overly talented.

But, this year, with league having so many great teams at the top, the Spurs are going to have to claw tooth and nail just to get to the conference finals.

LakeShow
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
:wow Damn Robert! I'm taking you out of my Fav5!

Princess Pimp
05-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Take Duncan out of the Spurs and Popovich is mediocre coach at best.