PDA

View Full Version : Bragg: Spurs supporters use online message boards to meet people, blow off steam

timvp
05-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Spurs supporters use online message boards to meet people, blow off steam
Roy Bragg
San Antonio Express-News

The San Antonio Spurs, as the city’s most successful sports entity, have become the shared folder for the Alamo City’s collective psyche. And if scientists ever want a snapshot of that zeitgeist, they need only study the messages posted on Spurs Talk, a Web site dedicated to the most ardent Spurs fans, where the city’s soul is laid to bare on a daily basis.

Take, for example, the online, real-time diary of the Spurs’ first 2008 playoff game.

There, they would find 2,146 comments that chronicle a few dozen pre-game fears, predictions and boasts written 12 hours before Game 1 against the Phoenix Suns. Then they’d see a rundown of game action, peppered with expletives and non-sequiturs, all posted by fans watching the game unfold.

And then there’s 5:05 p.m., as the Spurs took the ball down court near the end of the first overtime period.

SpursBrazil: We need a big one.

TParks: (responding to a comment about Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni’s suspect abilities) Wow. D’Antoni is an idiot. What a newsflash.

G O D: Spurs are the men that triumph in the faces of their adversaries. Spurs fans, have faith and BELIEVE! V5.0

At this point, in the real world, on the court of the AT&T Center, Manu Ginobili had driven toward the basket, found nothing, and tossed the ball to a wide-open Tim Duncan, who launched a surprising 3-point shot.

Xylus: Absolutely (bleeping) amazing.

rAm: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quiet Strength: hahaha timmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Most of the 33 comments that followed over the next 90 seconds were various expressions of amazement, some peppered with expletives.

Suns fans, who had been kibitzing and rooting their team on for the previous 57 pages, didn’t reappear until the bottom of Page 60, when Xylus typed: “Popovich just outplayed D’Antoni.”

The Spurs survived another wild day in the life of Spurs Talk, Spurs Report, Project Spurs and a handful of other Spurs-themed message boards set up to provide a podium to preach from and an ear to bend, around the clock and around the world.

Pick a team — any sport, any city, any country, any college — and there’s likely a sports forum (or two, or three or 20) dedicated to it.

A SENSE OF CAMARADERIE

Sports message boards have evolved from geek fests into tightly knit and tightly wound global communities, say site owners. Each has its own ebb and flow.

And of course, there’s conflict. The Internet, like a good story, thrives on tension.

“It’s like an online version of a sports bar — camaraderie and fan arguing,” says Kori Ellis, who founded Spurs Talk with her husband in February of 2003. “Sports message boards, more than anything, offer a lot of camaraderie and arguing. It mimics what goes on in a bar.”

Her users represent all corners of global society. There are plenty of San Antonio people from all walks of life, as well as fans from around the nation and from places as distant as Argentina, Slovenia, and China.

The group runs the economic and social spectrum. It also runs the emotional spectrum, from the casual fan to the clearly obsessed.

“There are people who are just jerks on the board, but in real life,” Ellis says, “they’re regular people.

“It’s easy to hide behind a computer screen and write stuff. Even I do it. I’m not afraid to be angry. In real life, I’m not sure I’d say that stuff. In real life, I wouldn’t tell someone to shut up. I do it online, but I’d never do that in real life.”

Spurs Talk doesn’t moderate comments very much. Ellis realizes the board’s value as a place to blow off steam if the Spurs play badly.

“I don’t do anything after a game,” she says. “I let it sit for a few hours, then I’ll go back in and clean up comments that need it.”

INVADING ANTAGONISTS

Not everyone on Spurs Talk is a fan of the silver and black. There are plenty of Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit fans on the board. So many, in fact, that Ellis has created separate forums for them to root for their own teams. The site gets 3 million views monthly.

Message boards targeted toward one fan base always draw fans of competing teams. These users usually show up to create mischief.

That’s the case at Texags.com, a board dedicated to Texas A&M and based in Bryan. Things got so bad there that the ownership group, led by Brandon Jones, formed an entire forum for opposing fans to spew venomous comments about the Aggies.

Generally, Jones says, he and his staff of 20 volunteer moderators (there’s also a handful of paid staffers who work on billing, promotion and other parts of the business) oversee 7,000 to 10,000 users who visit the site daily. Texags gets 1 million page views daily. Keeping the peace isn’t easy, and Jones says success is a double-edged sword.

“The more people you get into the boiling pot,” he says, “the more opportunity there is for dispute and conflict.”

Conflict, however, breeds community.

“Whenever you get to a certain size of community,” Jones says, “pretty incredible things start to happen because of the breadth of humanity that you capture.”

For Texags, the turning point was the Bonfire collapse in 1999, when 13 students died. Texags became an around-the-clock beacon for Aggies to connect, find out information and express their sorrow.

Ellis has seen her community develop, too. She routinely hosts get-togethers for playoff games or for important regular-season contests. She’s even hosted the board’s users at her own home.

“One time, we had tickets to the game so we put Big Zak (who asked not to be identified by his real name) in charge of the barbecue at our house,” she said. “And we left.”

BONDING BY WIRE

During its early days, Luddites and alarmists worried that the Web would make people more distant. Instead, it’s made them closer.

“It’s getting pretty well accepted now,” says Steve Jones, a professor of communications at the University of Illinois-Chicago. “There’s not a lot of stigma with it. The younger you are, the more acceptable it becomes. Every time we have a new technology, there’s some kind of moral panic about it. We’re concerned about our kids, and rightly so, but radio, television and the Internet haven’t had the detrimental effect on our children that we thought they’d have.”

Big Zak counts some of the other Spurs Talk users as his closest friends. They don’t replace his other friends, but rather form a second set. Others described it as a purer form of friendship since it’s based on a common interest rather than looks, economic status or geography.

“It connects people from around the world who have one thing in common,” said Bo Durkop, 24, who posts as Remington Bo.

“I’m a Spurs fan,” said Joe Ruiz, KSAT’s web editor. “I like to talk about the Spurs with other Spurs fans. And you end up being friends with people you never would’ve decided to hang out with. You would never have known them.”

Ellis has a background in forging real-world bonds on the Web. She met her husband, who posts on Spurs Talk as “Timvp,” via their messages on Spurs Report.

Another couple is currently courting after meeting at a Spurs Talk game-watching party. Mandy Simon and her fiancé were posting on Spurs Talk for years before that, though their romance didn’t start until the party.

She was among two dozen Spurs Talk users who gathered to watch the Spurs’ penultimate regular-season game, a brutal 106-85 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.

It was a happy crowd, where emotions ran the gamut — pregame optimism, midgame intensity, and, finally, gallows humor.

Gung-ho fans began clamoring to see their favorite bench players. Others grumbled about coaching decisions or players mailing it in. One offered derisively to buy a round for the whole room if the Spurs hit 85 points. When DerMarr Johnson sank a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left, the crowd howled and the beer flowed.

Minutes earlier, another restaurant patron had wandered into the party room where Spurs Talk was gathered.

“Can I watch the game in here?” he asked.

“Sure,” someone in the crowd responded. “It’s R-rated.”

“There isn’t a lot of profanity used against the Spurs, is there?” he asked.

A voice snapped back.

“Depends.”

The room erupted into laughter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.051708.WEB.InternetSports.en.109c07912.html

Sausage
05-16-2008, 10:55 PM
That is really cool. I love this place. Great Community!

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 10:59 PM
wtf, this article is real? holy crap.

- Mars

Kermit
05-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Spurstalk jumped the shark.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
badass

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Congrats to timvp and Kori... RECOGNISE bitches....

timvp
05-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Looks like he didn't use my quote calling whottt a dumbazz. I wanted that in the newspaper :depressed

easjer
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
That is fantastic. What a great article - and of course, fantastic site.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:02 PM
:lol "non sequiturs"

Los Spurs
05-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Keep Up The Good Work!

mystargtr34
05-16-2008, 11:04 PM
that really is awesome

HighLowLobForBig-50
Xylus got a mention
good for him

jn77
Awesome!!

Congrats Kori and LJ this is great!! Thanks for everything you do for us all!

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Xylus obviously must be the best suns poster ever cause he's mentioned twice.

i'm definitely tellin my friend who moved to SA to read this. SR can eat their heart out.

- Mars

T Park
05-16-2008, 11:05 PM
wow I made the newspaper :lmao

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:07 PM
first the state of the union bump in the club , now this
congrats and thanks to Kori and LJ
you should be very proud of yourselves
:toast

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM

yes you did, Tparks

T Park
05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
TParks: (responding to a comment about Phoenix coach Mike D’Antoni’s suspect abilities) Wow. D’Antoni is an idiot. What a newsflash.

Thank you for using one of my more intelligent comments :lmao

T Park
05-16-2008, 11:09 PM
yes you did, Tparks

Hey, I'm there! :lol

Ok I'm done.

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
this is an instant classic thread.

- Mars

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Thank you for using one of my more intelligent comments :lmao

:lol good for you tpark
but you better grab the "Tparks" troll before it gets in the wrong hands:lol

CubanMustGo
05-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Gee, funny how some certain other Spurs board dominated by pussy mods didn't get mentioned.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey, I'm there! :lol

Ok I'm done.

trust me, i would love to see a quote from Highlowlobsforbig-50s in there

duncan228
05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice piece. ST, Kori, and LJ deserve all the positive recognition. :toast to the best sports site on the net.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Nice piece. ST, Kori, and LJ deserve all the positive recognition. :toast to the best sports site on the net.

:toast to the best!

spurster
05-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Plans are already being made by a certain other forum to find each newspaper tomorrow and redact certain words in the article.

Slydragon
05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Sounds like a kick ass board, maybe some day I will check it out.

Spurs Brazil
Great article

I made the newspaper :hat :lol

ClingingMars
Plans are already being made by a certain other forum to find each newspaper tomorrow and redact certain words in the article.

they'll probably use black marker XD

- Mars

Kori Ellis
05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Gee, funny how some certain other Spurs board dominated by pussy mods didn't get mentioned.

They got mentioned.

She met her husband, who posts on Spurs Talk as “Timvp,” via their messages on Spurs Report. :)

Anti.Hero
05-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Maybe now Don Harris will realize it is 2008 and it's not just Dungeons and Dragons basement geeks that can type on keyboards.

He won't. I just wanted to incorporate him into this thread somehow.

Slydragon
05-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Minutes earlier, another restaurant patron had wandered into the party room where Spurs Talk was gathered .

“Can I watch the game in here?” he asked.

“Sure,” someone in the crowd responded. “It’s R-rated.”

“There isn’t a lot of profanity used against the Spurs, is there?” he asked.

A voice snapped back.

“Depends.”

The room erupted into laughter.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.051708.WEB.InternetSports.en.109c07912.html

I remember that guy who walk in, he was a older man and sat by me and my brother. He said his friend was in the restroom, but he never showed up and my brother said that they just drop his ass off and left him and the restroom was there get away excuse, he seemed kind of odd.

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 11:24 PM
the only thing i could possibly complain about would be no mention of chat and SFF. but I'm glad we got what we got!

- Mars

Solid D
05-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Nice! Good pub indeed. Spurstalk, where "let's vent" has been around long before any beverage maker discovered the term.

sa_butta
05-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Spurstalk...Where amazing happens.

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-16-2008, 11:32 PM
the only thing i could possibly complain about would be no mention of chat and SFF. but I'm glad we got what we got!

- Mars

yeah that def woulda been cool. Also woulda been cool to see Whottt sequ FWD Chump and alot of other good posters but, like you said im glad we got what we got:toast

very cool

milkyway21
05-16-2008, 11:35 PM
wow:wow

many sportswriters in the Phils read articles from Express News, I wish they come visit and enjoy the atmosphere :D

..from proud member of Spurstalk,

Kori & TimVP :worthy:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-16-2008, 11:38 PM
What a great article. :tu

I'm a little pissed that they mentioned international fans from Argentina, China and Slovenia, but forgot Australia (and Holland) though!

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Aussies including MI21, excoriate, and myself, were some of the first international fans to colonise SR and ST, along with Jurgen of course! ;)

boutons_
05-16-2008, 11:38 PM
There are probably more SA metro area posters/readers here than there are SA people who fly Spurs car flags during the playoffs. :)

Kori Ellis
05-16-2008, 11:41 PM
It's funny that people are nagging about what's not in the article. If they recapped everything about SpursTalk, it would be a book not a newspaper article :lol

ClingingMars
05-16-2008, 11:43 PM
It's funny that people are nagging about what's not in the article. If they recapped everything about SpursTalk, it would be a book not a newspaper article :lol

even a sentence in the newspaper, is still gettin in the newspaper :D

- Mars

SPARKY
05-16-2008, 11:46 PM
:tu

completely deck
05-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Congrats, everyone. Let's continue to make this community great :)

Dario
05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Cool story about some of you guys meeting after online posting, it sucks that i live so far away, you must have so much fun in GTGs. I should visit SA one day:p: Maybe with slomo next time :D

pawe
05-17-2008, 12:14 AM
I think there are more posters here from the Philippines than China..somebody tell them this ain't the Rockets board.

SequSpur
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
:lol "non sequiturs"

yeah...wtf?

braeden0613
05-17-2008, 12:29 AM
they'll probably use black marker XD

- Mars
looks like you posted it on SR and you didnt sign it :lol

WildcardManu
05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
:cheer

lefty
05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
WTF ?

I called Duncan's 3 and I wasn't mentioned ?

Fuck you mysantonio.com :flipoff

SpurOutofTownFan
05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
posting on potential epic thread

mikekim
05-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Spurs Report ain't got nothing on this. :hat

Kori Ellis
05-17-2008, 12:36 AM
looks like you posted it on SR and you didnt sign it :lol

I'm not sure of what his point of registering just to post it there was. He complains non-stop about the trolls here, and then goes there to cause trouble. Lame.

Capt Bringdown
05-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Congratulations on the nice writeup - you guys deserve it, big style.

And what a rim-rattling, soul destroying, IN YOUR FACE slamdunk to the competition. I know y'all are too nice to gloat about it, but some of us out here are loving this as I'm sure you know.

SAtown
05-17-2008, 12:43 AM
No mention of us getting free "Basketball Lessons" from an ACTUAL coach? wtf :rolleyes

Cry Havoc
05-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Just curious, since they mentioned the view count on the Aggies website:

How many hits a day does ST get?

SequSpur
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM

probably a couple of handfuls, this place is weak.

braeden0613
05-17-2008, 12:46 AM
and the thread disappears on SR...well it had a good 45 minute run

Kori Ellis
05-17-2008, 12:48 AM

It says in the article 3 million a month page views a month. That number varies quite a bit depending on the time of the season, etc.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Suddenly I'm very proud of my 8k+ posts and 3+ years of membership :lol

Old school baby! :lol

... more like middle aged school really, but who gives

HighLowLobForBig-50
05-17-2008, 12:51 AM
:rollin
yeah...wtf?

pawe
05-17-2008, 01:08 AM
<<< proud member since 05! Spurstalk is really the best sports board on the internets!
Im here off season, regular season, playoffs, finals, draft day, regular days (on the club mostly), everyday from 9am till 11pm..There is always something to talk about here. Now, if I can only get my post count to go up.

crc21209
05-17-2008, 01:08 AM
How badass they took comments from SpursTalk! Badass! haha Wish mine would've been used! :P. I wonder if ppl are going to be joining like crazy now :P

Slomo
05-17-2008, 01:51 AM
They misspelled Spurstalk :bang

Slomo
05-17-2008, 01:51 AM
They misspelled Spursreport :lol

Shaolin-Style
05-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Yeah I'm proud to be an older member too. Always come here rather than news sites to keep me updated on going ons around the NBA and for shits and giggles in the club. And if I do find something not posted here about the NBA I usually toss it on here. Just a cool place to chat, with some cool people, even the trolls are funny sometimes.

TDMVPDPOY
05-17-2008, 02:01 AM
who let the bots out? :D

Borosai
05-17-2008, 02:02 AM
Brilliant!

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-17-2008, 02:19 AM
If they recapped everything about SpursTalk, it would be a book not a newspaper article :lol

http://www.andover.edu/library/AcadInteg/Copyright-symbol.jpg

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-17-2008, 02:20 AM
And how bad is it that I didn't know Mandy's last name?

Slydragon
05-17-2008, 02:21 AM
Whats our gang sign? I wanna throw it up in case a SR poster is around. We big now our rag is black and silver but whats the sign damn it.

midgetonadonkey
05-17-2008, 02:23 AM
No mention of midgetonadonkey, Reverend Midge, Squid or the original Quattro in the article?

I'm a little disappointed.

But it's cool that Spurstalk got it's own article in the paper. This is the greatest forum ever.

Thanks to Kori and my bff timvp for hooking us up.

midgetonadonkey
05-17-2008, 02:26 AM
No mention of midgetonadonkey, Reverend Midge, Squid or the original Quattro in the article?

I'm a little disappointed.

But it's cool that Spurstalk got it's own article in the paper. This is the greatest forum ever.

Thanks to Kori and my bff timvp for hooking us up.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/quattrosig.jpg

Slydragon
05-17-2008, 02:28 AM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/quattrosig.jpg

That's gonna have it's own .com one day

Avitus1
05-17-2008, 02:49 AM
Now I feel like one of the cool kids...

Avitus1
05-17-2008, 02:50 AM
No wait the feeling has passed :-(

JPB
05-17-2008, 02:53 AM
3 millions a month :wow

good for Kori the journalist didn't see her new avatar...

LakerLanny
05-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Nice pub

Yeah newspaper man, there is this thing called the internet and it has been around for a while now. Nice of you to discover it!

Seriously though, props to Kori and Mr. Ellis for a very good site. :toast

Quasar
05-17-2008, 03:18 AM
What a great article. :tu

I'm a little pissed that they mentioned international fans from Argentina, China and Slovenia, but forgot Australia (and Holland) though!

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Aussies including MI21, excoriate, and myself, were some of the first international fans to colonise SR and ST, along with Jurgen of course! ;)

Heh I'd say that the first overseas fan on ST and Spurs Central was probably from Mauritius :)

pooh
05-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Very nice...great article, next time it's "pooh" for future reference. :)

Dex
05-17-2008, 03:34 AM
I honestly think this forum is one of the best outlets Spurs fans could ever hope for. I'm really not sure how I would get my fix if this site wasnt open 24/7. This article is just a modicum of recognition this forum should receive.

Props to LJ and Kori. You hear it all the time, but you guys have really done something incredible here with that there internet.

JPB
05-17-2008, 04:22 AM
“There are people who are just jerks on the board, but in real life,” Ellis says, “they’re regular people.

Even Sequspur ?

pawe
05-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Spurstalk actually helped me stop smoking. I just read and read and post (sometimes) instead of smoking outside. Cheers to Kori and Timvp :toast

BATMAN
05-17-2008, 05:33 AM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

..................:lobt2:

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-17-2008, 07:55 AM
SpursTalk is the shiznit.

Solid D
05-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Spurstalk actually helped me stop smoking. I just read and read and post (sometimes) instead of smoking outside. Cheers to Kori and Timvp :toast

That's outstanding, pawe! Congratulations!

1Parker1
05-17-2008, 08:12 AM
:lol Very cool.

SpursWoman
05-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Nice. :tu

Ginofan
05-17-2008, 08:30 AM
And how bad is it that I didn't know Mandy's last name?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7969/itsallgoudafullpic1fv9.jpg

Very nice article, will this be printed in today's paper or yesterday's?

JamStone
05-17-2008, 08:31 AM

Known to cure arthritis and make your penis bigger too.

Who is TParks?

Kriz-Maxima
05-17-2008, 09:03 AM
:toast

Shelly
05-17-2008, 09:06 AM
The article in the paper had a picture of Sean Grillo (don't know your screen name), Ashbeigh, Angel Luv, Rashofan, and Darrin James (don't know your screen name, either)

SpursWoman
05-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Today's paper?

Shelly
05-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Today's paper?

yes.

lurker23
05-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Another thing that can't be easily written about or quantified is the thousands of lurkers who simply love to read this board on a daily basis. Props to Kori and LJ and (most of) the posters who make this simply a fun place to be, regardless of your level of participation. :toast

Obstructed_View
05-17-2008, 11:50 AM
WTF ?

I called Duncan's 3 and I wasn't mentioned ?

Fuck you mysantonio.com :flipoff

Since you mention it every couple of threads, isn't that enough?

Argiebabe
05-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Congrats Kori and timvp!!!! :clap
this is the best board and fan base, thanks for giving us the chance of being a part of it...:flag:

lefty
05-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Since you mention it every couple of threads, isn't that enough?

It's never enough :toast

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM
They forgot to mention Spurs fans stuck in basketball hell, aka Dallas, Tx.

clubalien
05-17-2008, 12:14 PM

Congradulations on making it into the newpaper, and lok it is nto even in the crimes section!:lol

maxpower
05-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I think the international fans who make their yearly pilgrimage to the Temple de Spur required a mention. When I tell people about what is special about SpursTalk inevitably I mention the posters whose love of the Spurs brings them to San Antonio from all corners of the globe...and moreso is the fact that Kori and Timvp graciously welcome them into their home just based on the simple bond of being a Spurs fan.

P.S.

Congratulations Kori and Timvp...and Thank you.

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure of what his point of registering just to post it there was. He complains non-stop about the trolls here, and then goes there to cause trouble. Lame.

it wasn't trolling, it was just posting the article. i've always been registered there. you'll notice i added NO comment about the article, just posted it.

- Mars

BlackSwordsMan
05-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Was I mentioned in the article?

LakeShow
05-17-2008, 12:44 PM

INVADING ANTAGONISTS

Not everyone on Spurs Talk is a fan of the silver and black. There are plenty of Sacramento, Phoenix, Dallas and Detroit fans on the board. So many, in fact, that Ellis has created separate forums for them to root for their own teams. The site gets 3 million views monthly.

It wasn't all that!!! :cuss

:lol NIce article, congrats! :toast

Kori Ellis
05-17-2008, 12:51 PM
it wasn't trolling, it was just posting the article. i've always been registered there. you'll notice i added NO comment about the article, just posted it.

- Mars

You still posted it to cause trouble. But it doesn't matter - they deleted it and then re-posted it again. (And "spurssheriff" is now joking about our marriage.)

I encourage you all to post there all you want ... about basketball. But stirring up trouble between the sites just for fun isn't good. A lot of good people post there. And if there wasn't a SpursReport, there wouldn't be a SpursTalk. So let's just leave it at that.

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 12:53 PM
You still posted it to cause trouble. But it doesn't matter - they deleted it and then re-posted it again. (And "spurssheriff" is now joking about our marriage.)

I encourage you all to post there all you want ... about basketball. But stirring up trouble between the sites just for fun isn't good. A lot of good people post there. And if there wasn't a SpursReport, there wouldn't be a SpursTalk. So let's just leave it at that.

if they think that posting an article THAT MENTIONED SPURSREPORT in the PAPER is causing trouble, then they have major problems :lol

- Mars

ShoogarBear
05-17-2008, 12:55 PM
The article in the paper had a picture of Sean Grillo (don't know your screen name), Ashbeigh, Angel Luv, Rashofan, and Darrin James (don't know your screen name, either)

The E-N must be one of the few papers that doesn't include their print pictures with the web version of the articles. :pctoss

tlongII
05-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Great article! I like the way Kori compares this place to a sports bar. There's a lot of truth to that. I think Kori and LJ need to raise their liquor prices though...

SpursFanFirst
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow! Look at Kori and Timvp getting all recognized and whatnot :hat

I especially enjoyed the exchange at the end of the article. Is the stranger now a part of this board?

You two deserve the shout out - Congrats!
Thanks for giving us a place to hang out and share our love for the greatest sports team around. :wakeup

mVp
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
LOL that's great, nice article.

Congrats.

Slomo
05-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Even Sequspur ?

I believe that part WAS about Sequ :lol

Could any of the locals post a picture of the article as it appeared in print?

Cherry
05-17-2008, 01:41 PM
Congrats to timvp and Kori... RECOGNISE bitches....

:worthy:

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-17-2008, 01:43 PM
The E-N must be one of the few papers that doesn't include their print pictures with the web version of the articles. :pctoss

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9503/img0002nz3.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/364/img0003xu1.jpg

Kori Ellis
05-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for posting the paper, Joe. I haven't picked it up yet.

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 01:50 PM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/9503/img0002nz3.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/364/img0003xu1.jpg

sweet pics

- Mars

still.focused
05-17-2008, 01:51 PM
How many of you reading the article wished to see ur name when they started quoting Spurstalk?
I know i was
Dope article

Johnny_Blaze_47
05-17-2008, 01:53 PM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1460/paper1ir7.jpg

Pistons < Spurs
05-17-2008, 01:54 PM
That's awesome! Good to see ST get a little pub!

angel_luv
05-17-2008, 02:00 PM
That is so cool!

Quiet Strength
05-17-2008, 02:04 PM
haha I'm in it.. thats awesome! I'd like to thank spurstalk and the spurs and timmy for hitting the 3.. haha man I'd better be careful with all the paparazzi now haha just playing but yeah thats cool

remingtonbo2001
05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
What a fantastic shot from the back of my head.

Am I balding? :lol

dbreiden83080
05-17-2008, 02:11 PM
That is awesome

angel_luv
05-17-2008, 02:14 PM
What a fantastic shot from the back of my head.

Am I balding? :lol

:lol No.

1Parker1
05-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Great article! I like the way Kori compares this place to a sports bar. There's a lot of truth to that. I think Kori and LJ need to raise their liquor prices though...

I think Kori and LJ need to raise their standards of who can join this place and who can't. Starting with barring certain Blazer fans. :ihit

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 04:10 PM
good thing they didn't see all the hatred towards certain writers of the SANE! XD

- Mars

jman3000
05-17-2008, 04:23 PM
half a can of cat food down the hatch and nothing?

:lol

and i dont recall anybody buying a round of beer for anyone. i know i somehow was talked into buying spurschick and ginofan a beer... but that's the extent of the "flowing" beer i remember.

timmydidit
05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
good job guys

tlongII
05-17-2008, 04:42 PM
I think Kori and LJ need to raise their standards of who can join this place and who can't. Starting with barring certain Blazer fans. :ihit

Hey! Where is your bravatar pic anyway???

Das Texan
05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
awesome!

Spurminator
05-17-2008, 05:03 PM
bad. ass.

TampaDude
05-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Congrats Kori and timvp!!! :toast

I love this place!!! :hat

smeagol
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Major props!

Kori Ellis
05-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Sean doesn't post here that much - I know him from WOAI. Darrin is Rashofan's boyfriend. There is also a small picture on the front of the sports page at the very top with the teaser - it has Manny, Jekka, Blaze and a few others.

Brutalis
05-17-2008, 05:37 PM
haha neat article.

rAm
05-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I just noticed this thread, haha, can't believe I got quoted after the Timmy shot!

This is way too cool.

jmard5
05-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow. Props to Kori and LJ! Cheers! :toast

Budkin
05-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Awesome article... did you all notice a big traffic spike today?

GrandeDavid
05-17-2008, 07:27 PM
SpursBrazil, voce e famoso, rapaz!

1Parker1
05-17-2008, 07:28 PM
They should have quoted some AHF, Pop sucks/4Down sucks or Timvp vs Whottt classics. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
They should have quoted some AHF, Pop sucks/4Down sucks or Timvp vs Whottt classics. :lol

Indeed, they missed out on the true essence of the board :lol

SpursWoman
05-17-2008, 08:12 PM
My paper wasn't delivered today and HEB was out. WTF?

Nolazach
05-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Congrats, it really is a great site. Forums are so much better when Mods and Admins act like people and not Your disciplinarian.

I hope and pray and would do whatever it took to add a Hornets forum here. Please...

We are in the same division.

Relly though this place is like Crack..... Its so addictive and i need my fix.

phyzik
05-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Congrats, it really is a great site. Forums are so much better when Mods and Admins act like people and not Your disciplinarian.

I hope and pray and would do whatever it took to add a Hornets forum here. Please...

We are in the same division.

Relly though this place is like Crack..... Its so addictive and i need my fix.

It really is a great site, Some of the hornets posters have been pretty good, including yourself. Smack talk is expected. But there is a reason Pistons and Kings got their own forum, and that was respect by just about all of their posters. I dont know if the Hornets fans have shown that type of respect here.

its not necessarily respect for the Spurs (you dont have to be a homer, hell we get on their asses quite a bit ourselves), but respect for Spurstalk.com and its posters that might get you consideration for a forum here. Of course, thats all up to Kori and LJ, I have no say in it or how they decide these things, Im just going by what I have experienced.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Heh I'd say that the first overseas fan on ST and Spurs Central was probably from Mauritius :)

I dunno man... us Aussies go all the way back to SR in 2000, which is where we met Kori and LJ, baseline bum, exstatic, SW, etc. If you can beat that, respect to you sir! :lol

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 09:41 PM
It really is a great site, Some of the hornets posters have been pretty good, including yourself. Smack talk is expected. But there is a reason Pistons and Kings got their own forum, and that was respect by just about all of their posters. I dont know if the Hornets fans have shown that type of respect here.

its not necessarily respect for the Spurs (you dont have to be a homer, hell we get on their asses quite a bit ourselves), but respect for Spurstalk.com and its posters that might get you consideration for a forum here. Of course, thats all up to Kori and LJ, I have no say in it or how they decide these things, Im just going by what I have experienced.

to be fair, he can't control his idiot brethren. but i understand your point.

- Mars

Spurs Brazil
05-17-2008, 09:42 PM
SpursBrazil, voce e famoso, rapaz!

Que coisa Grande. Nunca apareci no jornal aqui no Brasil e fui aparecer logo em San Antonio :lol

Sammy's Mom
05-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats Kori and LJ!!

Fernando TD21
05-17-2008, 10:14 PM
:toast Go SpursTalk Go! :flag:

RashoFan
05-18-2008, 12:28 AM
My paper wasn't delivered today and HEB was out. WTF?

We didn't get a paper either!!!:madrun

Tradition
05-18-2008, 01:26 AM
They need to add a Lakers forum to this board. After all, the Lakers were the biggest baddest most hated rival the Spurs and their fans have ever witnessed in their history.

I mean comon there were shirts saying "Shaq sucks and kobe swollows" with the U as the spurs logo. They had bumper stickers saying "Phil Sucks" and signs saying "Kiss my *." We split 5 consecutive championships.

Spurs ended the forum and the Lakers ended the dome. Spurs were the first team to eliminate the Lakers in the staples center era and the Lakers were the first team to eliminate the spurs in the sbc center era.

Nbadan
05-18-2008, 01:42 AM
The Spurstalk political forum is one of the busiest all-political forums in Texas too, so it's not just Sports....Where's the love?

SRJ
05-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Because a newspaper can't print sentences like "Dubya/Dickhead Repugs raping Arabs for Halliburton".

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 03:46 AM
They need to add a Lakers forum to this board. After all, the Lakers were the biggest baddest most hated rival the Spurs and their fans have ever witnessed in their history.

I mean comon there were shirts saying "Shaq sucks and kobe swollows" with the U as the spurs logo. They had bumper stickers saying "Phil Sucks" and signs saying "Kiss my *." We split 5 consecutive championships.

Spurs ended the forum and the Lakers ended the dome. Spurs were the first team to eliminate the Lakers in the staples center era and the Lakers were the first team to eliminate the spurs in the sbc center era.

and yet the laker fans in here do not deserve jack shit. Laker fans have neither the numbers nor the civility to warrant a separate forum. Of course, I don't own Spurstalk, other people do, so you might end up getting what you want. I just know I wouldn't give it to you.

ChumpDumper
05-18-2008, 04:01 AM
The Spurstalk political forum is one of the busiest all-political forums in Texas too, so it's not just Sports....Where's the love?General disdain and pity are the most that could be expected.

statman32
05-18-2008, 04:46 AM
Pretty damn cool. Props to you guys. :toast

CubanMustGo
05-18-2008, 08:26 AM
and yet the laker fans in here do not deserve jack shit. Laker fans have neither the numbers nor the civility to warrant a separate forum. Of course, I don't own Spurstalk, other people do, so you might end up getting what you want. I just know I wouldn't give it to you.

QFFT

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Indeed, they missed out on the true essence of the board :lol

bravatars!!!!!:lmao

Lakers_55
05-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Great read! That's why I am here. I really do like to see what everyone has to say about basketball.

LakerLanny
05-18-2008, 11:42 AM

The Lakers have multiple sites dedicated to the greatest organization in all of sports, they don't need one here.

lakersground.net is where most of the brilliant posters such as myself reside, there is also clublakers and then the sewer that is the ESPN board.

G O D
05-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Roy Bragg
San Antonio Express-News

Take, for example, the online, real-time diary of the Spurs’ first 2008 playoff game.

There, they would find 2,146 comments that chronicle a few dozen pre-game fears, predictions and boasts written 12 hours before Game 1 against the Phoenix Suns. Then they’d see a rundown of game action, peppered with expletives and non-sequiturs, all posted by fans watching the game unfold.

And then there’s 5:05 p.m., as the Spurs took the ball down court near the end of the first overtime period.

G O D: Spurs are the men that triumph in the faces of their adversaries. Spurs fans, have faith and BELIEVE! V5.0At this point, in the real world, on the court of the AT&T Center, Manu Ginobili had driven toward the basket, found nothing, and tossed the ball to a wide-open Tim Duncan, who launched a surprising 3-point shot.

Xylus: Absolutely (bleeping) amazing.

rAm: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Quiet Strength: hahaha timmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Most of the 33 comments that followed over the next 90 seconds were various expressions of amazement, some peppered with expletives.

Suns fans, who had been kibitzing and rooting their team on for the previous 57 pages, didn’t reappear until the bottom of Page 60, when Xylus typed: “Popovich just outplayed D’Antoni.”

At least someone is listening to me!:lol
:flag::lobt::flag::lobt::flag::lobt::flag::lobt::f lag::lobt2:

Tradition
05-18-2008, 12:49 PM

Yeah we do have alot of douchebags including myself. That is what makes this rivalry even better. As much as you hate the Lakers and their fans, you respect them the most out of anybody because they were the most successful franchise against the Duncan Spurs and they have the hardware to backup the smack talk. :p:

Man Mountain
05-19-2008, 05:02 PM
Nice article, I just read it today!

milkyway21
05-20-2008, 01:30 AM
ON LINE:
1171 (231 members & 940 guests)

Sorted By Thread Title Last Post Time Thread Start Time Number of Replies Number of Views Thread
milkyway21, DespЏrado, ATXSPUR, crc21209, ttdog, Kathyladora, ancestron, Man of Steel, picnroll, MaNuMaNiAc, LakerFanSince84, cindyp601, O-Factor, usckk, circles_eternal, Discoflux, Mr Brown, spurspf, ManuTim_best of Fwiendz, *Asterisk*, td_tp_manu, Behold The KING, whottt, aka_USAPA, LakerLanny, zepn, Typhoon, Man In Black, Darcus, Obi1Ginobili, Fabbs, JPB, flipcritic, LA24, Manu Pacquiao, JohnnySixString, homer, koopa, CP3-MVP, lakaluva, sheriee84, Loose Cannon, Manudona, timaios, Nbadan, itzsoweezee, arial, Dopey310, IronMexican, Trainwreck2100, Solid D, TKG, Helix Versa, rcs15, ss1986v2, colargol, slayermin, ShagiaFrost, bluebellmaniac, Sasha, __JaG__, batboy, Duncanoypi, ludda, GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI, ECZ, Spurologist, grjr, Mavs<Spurs, Medvedenko, PhoenixSpursFan, san antonio spurs, JsnSA, J.T., hitmanyr2k, thepabs3, duncan228, Cheese, honestfool84, DudleyDawson, capek, Tigole Bitties, dg7md, cash459, rasho8, csaenz, MagnusKrauss, davidbowie, sassystriker, Cry Havoc, mistuh_fu, Brox6, DDS4, TheMACHINE, Warlord23, mVp, beachwood, BrokerinSA, Argiebabe, T Park, spurastic, Lady M, baseline bum, Hemotivo, Indazone, Bob Lanier, magui86770, Lirica, BRHornet45, mavsfan1000, TMTTRIO, mardigan, alon504, LakerHater, SPURS50, Jayem, BruceBowenFan, Supreme_Being, Kibic, xtremesteven33, Amuseddaysleeper, sendman, JustSpurs, peskypesky, WWTDD, FromWayDowntown, 小小轩, bryants2hot2handle, Stump, dknights411, DoornicK, RobSM64, spursfor5, Leetonidas, Commissioner Stern, stéphane, IceColdBrewski, efrem1, Whisky Dog, Snaq O'Meal, SpursNation, greens, DesiSpur_21, gospursgojas, spyder, kobyz, FuckTheSpurs, thekingrobert, beck253, NuGGeTs-FaN, tinysands, Anti.Hero, Behrooz24, lefty, cocoball, spursfan09, Armando, Lakers999, lrrr, ShoogarBear, daslicer, tsb2000, vand3537, DAF86, braeden0613, wileycoyote, NZ Spurs, rayray2k8, Alain, remingtonbo2001, SRJ, completely deck, pwilliam, Beast, Jdspur20, RC's Boss, anjlbitz, Athenea, gameFACE, The Mamba, El_Mago, Tiro, ATX Spur, Taladro, nin666, still.focused, Twisted_Dawg, Man in the Arena, spursfaninla, Dave McNulla, Manu_Ginobili, phxspurfan, dogzofwar, Guinness, dav4463, ☆M☆, So Cal, Doug Collins, Dark Penguin, Assman, ace3g, timmydidit, SPARKY, ecksodia, Real Tomato Ketchup, Lakers08Champs, Mamba24, SpursFanInAustin, tempest186, Quiet Strength, Aggie Hoopsfan, mrcoon29, Radiosparks, SyZyGy, BOHOLANO#21, VinnyTestesVerde, mytespurs, desvelada, sa_butta, MemphisSpursFan, Septic, Nikos, MannyIsGod, Friscospur, Jobbs, TampaDude, AOMrep, Zig, Fabricio Oberto, Flex9050, YellowFever

..amazing. :wakeup
I don't know about you, it's 3pm in here but it's midnight in SA, you have plans of sleeping a little bit tonight Spurs fans? :lol

DAF86
05-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Wow, I didn't see it before. COOL! Congrats Kori and timvp :toast this place is great.