PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: NBA Review Doesn't Find Problem With Horry's Foul On West

duncan228
05-16-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051708.09C.BKNspurs.notebook.36047ee.html

Spurs notebook: NBA review doesn't find problem with Horry's foul on Hornets' West
By Mike Monroe and Mike Finger

The NBA's basketball operations staff determined during a review Friday that Robert Horry's foul on David West in the fourth quarter of the Spurs' Game 6 victory over the New Orleans Hornets was routine.

A back-pedaling West crashed into an Horry screen while trying to deflect a Manu Ginobili pass during Thursday night's game.

Horry had moved up on West from behind and positioned himself as Ginobili began a drive to the basket past Jannero Pargo.

Ginobili left his feet to throw a crosscourt jump pass, which West attempted to deflect. While still moving backwards in the air, West crashed into Horry's screen and crumpled to the floor.

Having begun Game 6 with a sore back from an injury suffered in Game 5, West had to be helped to the Hornets' locker room. He did not return.

The play had made its way to the “YouTube” video website by early Friday morning and there were suggestions in some media outlets that Horry had intentionally tried to injure West. Hornets coach Byron Scott told Yahoo Sports columnist Adrian Wojnarowski, “... if I didn't know Robert on a personal level, I'd say that was a dirty shot. Yeah, if I didn't know him the way I know him, I'd say it was a cheap shot.”

Horry was suspended for two games in last year's conference semifinals against Phoenix after he hip-checked Suns point guard Steve Nash out of bounds. Suns stars Amare Stoudemire and Boris Diaw were suspended for leaving the bench in the excitement that followed that foul.

Ginobili rose to Horry's defense Thursday when it was suggested Horry had once again impacted a series with a questionable foul.

“I think he changed more seasons making shots than hitting people,” Ginobili said. “I don't think what he did had anything to do with last year's series. He just pushed Steve out of the court. The problem was their players getting on the court.

“He just made a hard foul last year, but it was their fault.”

Calling out the fans: The Hornets didn't complain about Horry's actions on the play that led to West leaving the game with a back injury, but at least one New Orleans player had a problem with the AT&T Center crowd's reaction to it.

Hornets point guard Chris Paul said he was taken aback by what he heard when West was still face-down on the floor after backing into a hard screen by Horry.

“The crowd started chanting for Robert Horry,” Paul said. “Our guy's getting hurt, and they're chanting for Horry. It's crazy.”

No excuses: West, who already was battling back problems before Thursday, said the injury did have some lingering effects in Game 6. But he was quick to point out that wasn't the reason he struggled during a 4-of-14 shooting night.

“I was a little tentative,” West said. “I didn't want to overextend anything. But I just missed shots. Wide-open shots.”

West said the injury he suffered on the Horry screen wasn't serious, and that he will be ready to play in Game 7. His teammates said they expected nothing less.

“D-West is a fighter,” Paul said. “He's going to come back from this. Luckily, we have about a week before Game 7, so we can get some rest.”

The whistles turn: In Game 5, it was the Spurs who were showing their frustration about the officiating. In Game 6, it was the Hornets' turn.

The Spurs were called for two more fouls than the Hornets on Thursday. But what drew New Orleans' ire was the third quarter-stretch when Paul and West were called for five combined fouls in a 1:23 span.

“We really caught a tough break during the third quarter with some bad calls that didn't go our way,” Hornets center Tyson Chandler said. “I feel that foul calls really stole the momentum of the third quarter and gave the Spurs an advantage.”

Kermit
05-16-2008, 11:51 PM
But, but, but...

SPARKY
05-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Surprise, surprise.

Rummpd
05-16-2008, 11:53 PM
I feel that foul calls really stole the momentum of the third quarter and gave the Spurs an advantage.”
Chandler

What an idiot the Spurs were up big already and just increased it over this jerk and his team.

Princess Pimp
05-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Hornets will crush the spursies Monday Night

lefty
05-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, Hollinger must be pissed off.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-17-2008, 12:28 AM
“We really caught a tough break during the third quarter with some bad calls that didn't go our way,” Hornets center Tyson Chandler said. “I feel that foul calls really stole the momentum of the third quarter and gave the Spurs an advantage.”

what momentum?

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 12:30 AM
This is expected because you can't really prove Horry's intent, but we all know what happened.

Anti.Hero
05-17-2008, 12:50 AM
This is expected because you can't really prove Horry's intent, but we all know what happened.

What about it?

Maybe West won't tap people on the chin or clap in others' faces anymore.

No. He probably will continue to do that because that Horry hit wasn't even that bad.

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 12:54 AM
What about it?

Maybe West won't tap people on the chin or clap in others' faces anymore.

No. He probably will continue to do that because that Horry hit wasn't even that bad.

It wasn't bad at all, just very well calculated. All it takes is a little tap to the nuts to take a man down. A pinched nerve is every bit just as sensitive.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2008, 12:56 AM
mavfan knows about punches to the nuts.

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 01:00 AM
mavfan knows about punches to the nuts.

Figured I might as well get it out in the open before "insert dumbass spur fan here" made a lame joke about it. I guess you're that lucky guy

ChumpDumper
05-17-2008, 01:02 AM
And you're a hypocrite :toast

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 01:03 AM
And you're a hypocrite :toast

Wait why am I a hypocrite, because I'm a Mav fan or because Jason Terry is in my sig? And when did I ever applaud or defend his punching Finley in the nuts? Thanks, I rest my case

alon504
05-17-2008, 01:06 AM
I'm probably in the minority as a Hornets fan, but, I didn't see anything flagrant. I really didn't. And I did see the fouls called on the Hornets. It is what it is. I'm not going to be a fan that rejects the truth when I see it with my own eyes. The game has to be clean.

gmanrulz
05-17-2008, 01:08 AM
you cant really do shit when you dont get suspended for this:

hD7oMY2qeho

ChumpDumper
05-17-2008, 01:11 AM
Wait why am I a hypocrite, because I'm a Mav fan or because Jason Terry is in my sig? And when did I ever applaud or defend his punching Finley in the nuts? Thanks, I rest my caseSo you oppose JT's punching folks in the nuts?

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 01:13 AM
So you oppose JT's punching folks in the nuts?

Yes

ChumpDumper
05-17-2008, 01:14 AM
YesSo were you campaigning against it as strongly as you are now with Horry?

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 01:16 AM
So were you campaigning against it as strongly as you are now with Horry?

Not really because it didn't potentially change the outcome of the series. Finley was a role player and his jewels were fine a few moments later. Back spasms are no joke man I've had them myself and I shudder to think what a pinched nerve in your back feels like.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-17-2008, 01:17 AM
you cant really do shit when you dont get suspended for this:

hD7oMY2qeho

:lol well played

spurscenter
05-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Calling out the fans:

haha

calling out the refs! lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-17-2008, 01:28 AM

Bullshit. They were legit calls. Only one of them coulda been a no call. Hornets just played sloppy.

ChumpDumper
05-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Not reallyHypocrite :toast

boutons_
05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
is there a video of Tony running backwards into Chandler?

I bet Chandler leaned forward as much as Robert did.

gmanrulz
05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
is there a video of Tony running backwards into Chandler?

I bet Chandler leaned forward as much as Robert did.

no the media said he didnt

Slippy
05-17-2008, 02:57 AM
It wasn't bad at all, just very well calculated. All it takes is a little tap to the nuts to take a man down. A pinched nerve is every bit just as sensitive.

So you want players to keep in mind opposing players ailments before setting a screen?
:lol

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 09:42 AM
So you want players to keep in mind opposing players ailments before setting a screen?

No but it wasn't like Horry was just out there playing ball and it happened. It was premeditated. I just think the NBA should be more like it was in the 80's when players could take justice into their own hands. I remember a big ass brawl that started with Larry Bird but he didn't even get suspended. West should have been allowed to get up and punch Horry in the mouth so he doesn't try some shit like that again.

bigfundamental21
05-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Calling out the fans: The Hornets didn't complain about Horry's actions on the play that led to West leaving the game with a back injury, but at least one New Orleans player had a problem with the AT&T Center crowd's reaction to it.

Hornets point guard Chris Paul said he was taken aback by what he heard when West was still face-down on the floor after backing into a hard screen by Horry.

“The crowd started chanting for Robert Horry,” Paul said. “Our guy's getting hurt, and they're chanting for Horry. It's crazy.”

I was at the game and I have to agree that it was wrong for the fans to start yelling "Horry, Horry, Horry" while West was still laying on the floor. But, I am sure that the same would have happened in any arena. It's just the same in any other arena in the nba. While the chant did not last long and the crowd did clap for West when he got up and walked off the court, it still was not cool to chant while the opposing player was still lying on the floor.

I don't think Horry intended to hurt West. It was just a screen and West was caught off guard.

This has been a very physical series and this play was not any different from the screen Chandler set on Parker in Game 5.

mrspurs
05-17-2008, 10:22 AM
number 1, tyson's hit on parkers back was worse....number 2, at least we could hear the fans at the at&t center when they were yelling horry's name....nothing else seems to get their attention long enough to make noise thru out the game, just like every other playoff team home.....i love my spurs, but our fans are spoiled.....this aint no tennis match, its a pack of crazed dogs.......go spurs go

phyzik
05-17-2008, 10:49 AM
No but it wasn't like Horry was just out there playing ball and it happened. It was premeditated. I just think the NBA should be more like it was in the 80's when players could take justice into their own hands. I remember a big ass brawl that started with Larry Bird but he didn't even get suspended. West should have been allowed to get up and punch Horry in the mouth so he doesn't try some shit like that again.

Have you even seen the replay full speed or just slow motion? Are you REALLY going to sit there and say Robert Horry had the time to think "OK, I just KNOW West is going to jump in the air, when he does Im going to move over just a little bit and get him in the EXACT right spot that will cause the most damage. And...... NOW!!!"

Give me a fucking break. Yeah, Horry is good and Im sure he knew about the injury, but he is not THAT good. Watch the replay at real time speed, there is no fucking way that was premeditated. The screen was, but not the injury.

Obstructed_View
05-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Have you even seen the replay full speed or just slow motion? Are you REALLY going to sit there and say Robert Horry had the time to think "OK, I just KNOW West is going to jump in the air, when he does Im going to move over just a little bit and get him in the EXACT right spot that will cause the most damage. And...... NOW!!!"

Give me a fucking break. Yeah, Horry is good and Im sure he knew about the injury, but he is not THAT good. Watch the replay at real time speed, there is no fucking way that was premeditated. The screen was, but not the injury.

If Bruce Bowen has time to figure out where someone is going to land after a shot and can slide his foot into the exact spot to injure them, then Horry can anticipate David West backpedalling and suddenly jumping.

Personally, I think Manu was in on it with that pass, and that it was a deliberate play drawn up by Pop to injure West. After all, the Spurs were only up by 21 points at the time, and David West was killing the Spurs with his poise and good shooting.

td4mvp21
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Maybe the calls did change the momentum. But it's only because the Hornets let them. They can't handle pressure situations; that's why I want the Spurs to at least keep it close in Game 7 going into the fourth quarter. The Hornets won't beat the Spurs in the clutch, I can tell you that. Too bad the Spurs haven't been able to show that in New Orleans at all this series. Game 7 would be a great time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-17-2008, 12:13 PM
The whistles turn: In Game 5, it was the Spurs who were showing their frustration about the officiating. In Game 6, it was the Hornets' turn.

The Spurs were called for two more fouls than the Hornets on Thursday. But what drew New Orleans' ire was the third quarter-stretch when Paul and West were called for five combined fouls in a 1:23 span.

I'm sure he had no problem with the officiating when the Spurs were getting lit up by the refs in the third quarters of games 1,2,5...

SAGambler
05-17-2008, 12:48 PM
“We really caught a tough break during the third quarter with some bad calls that didn't go our way,” Hornets center Tyson Chandler said.

Amazing. Simply fucking amazing. If they don't "go the Hornets way", then they are "bad calls".

Wake up Chandler. Every damn one of them was just shit your team has been getting away with all year. They were fouls. Not just "bad calls" meant to take away from your team.

SAGambler
05-17-2008, 12:51 PM
If Bruce Bowen has time to figure out where someone is going to land after a shot and can slide his foot into the exact spot to injure them, then Horry can anticipate David West backpedalling and suddenly jumping.

Personally, I think Manu was in on it with that pass, and that it was a deliberate play drawn up by Pop to injure West. After all, the Spurs were only up by 21 points at the time, and David West was killing the Spurs with his poise and good shooting.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

I've always said the Spurs can figure out in advance what a player is going to do, and set him up accordingly.

Peja
05-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Ive always said the spurs can injure any player they want and get away with it.....

nice move before game 7 that you know you cant win ..well your chances are better now for sure

td4mvp21
05-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Ive always said the spurs can injure any player they want and get away with it.....

nice move before game 7 that you know you cant win ..well your chances are better now for sure

Yeah, the defending champions definitely could not win a Game 7 on the road.

SAGambler
05-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Exactly how was West going to "get up and punch Horry in the mouth", when West, at least acted like he couldn't even move without help? And what if Horry ducked the punch, and poor West pulled the nerve even further?

Were you born this stupid, or did you have to work on it?

Peja
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Yeah, the defending champions definitely could not win a Game 7 on the road.

yeah they have shown they can win in NO...ohh wait....they get played out of the arena 3 times now...they didnt manage one time to score 90 points...84 was the best i think

Johnny RIngo
05-17-2008, 01:36 PM
That cripple shouldn't have even been on the court. He played like shit, his team was getting destroyed, and he already had a fragile back. Hornet have no one to blame but themselves.

td4mvp21
05-17-2008, 01:47 PM
yeah they have shown they can win in NO...ohh wait....they get played out of the arena 3 times now...they didnt manage one time to score 90 points...84 was the best i think

Yeah, we know. That doesn't mean they can't win there. Do you think the Hornets couldn't win in San Antonio?

NRHector
05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
It wasn't bad at all, just very well calculated. All it takes is a little tap to the nuts to take a man down. A pinched nerve is every bit just as sensitive.is that what happened to you?

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 02:46 PM

the level of play in a game 7 is gonna be a hell of a lot different.

- Mars

SenorSpur
05-17-2008, 02:56 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051708.09C.BKNspurs.notebook.36047ee.html

Spurs notebook: NBA review doesn't find problem with Horry's foul on Hornets' West
By Mike Monroe and Mike Finger

Let's hope the Spurs demonstrate a champion's poise and maturity by NOT allowing the officiating to become the central point of their frustration, as they did in Game 5. The road team is potentially not going to get a fair balance of calls - we all know this. Manu was "dead on" when he proclaimed the Spurs complained too much during Game 5 - especially Tim. The Spurs players need to let Pop work the officials. They need to concentrate on making shots, playing good D and securing rebounds.

I fully expect this game to be the close game of the entire series. I also expect Spurs to generate their own momentum by closing every quarter in strong fashion and mentally taking the Hornets will by mid 4th quarter. To do so, they absolutely CANNOT get bogged down complaining and moaning about officiating.

spursfan09
05-17-2008, 03:04 PM

gosh hornet fans are worse than sun fans at whining. who knew? At least Horry was suspended last year, the NBA just thinks this is what it is. RoHo setting a screen with West being injured even before the 3rd quarter.

ducks
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm probably in the minority as a Hornets fan, but, I didn't see anything flagrant. I really didn't. And I did see the fouls called on the Hornets. It is what it is. I'm not going to be a fan that rejects the truth when I see it with my own eyes. The game has to be clean.

ducks
05-17-2008, 06:56 PM
no the media said he didnt

the media hates tp

they always mention paul and williams and forget about tp

Budkin
05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
:lmao Fuck all you Spurs and Horry haters.

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 07:33 PM
the media hates tp

they always mention paul and williams and forget about tp

That's because Parker isn't in the same class as Paul and Williams..he's probably a top 5 point guard in the league but there's a big gap from 2nd place to the rest of the pack.

m33p0
05-17-2008, 07:37 PM
well of course they didn't coz there wasn't one.

Get Buzzin
05-17-2008, 07:40 PM
The play was a set-up. Get West to raise his arms and jump while Horry pounds West in the back fully extended.

m33p0
05-17-2008, 07:48 PM
The play was a set-up. Get West to raise his arms and jump while Horry pounds West in the back fully extended.
would only work if either manu or bob used jedi mind control.:nope

Pero
05-17-2008, 08:02 PM
If they would have found a problem the Spurs should've sued the NBA for fraud. :lol

SRJ
05-17-2008, 09:32 PM

There is over 600 pounds of stupid in this post. Time for a quick breakdown:

No but it wasn't like Horry was just out there playing ball and it happened. It was premeditated.

If Horry can pull off that intentionally, he has body control that would make a gymnast jealous. Horry should be averaging 40 ppg with that sort of precise athletic ability.

I just think the NBA should be more like it was in the 80's when players could take justice into their own hands. I remember a big ass brawl that started with Larry Bird but he didn't even get suspended.

Rudy T. Derek Harper vs. AJ English. Duane Ferrell vs. Dale Davis. Kevin McHale vs. Kurt Rambis. All of these huge fights ended up spilling into the stands where paying customers (many of whom have lawyers) sit. And Rudy T. nearly died. But the NBA was better then. You're gonna go with that. Good job.

West should have been allowed to get up and punch Horry in the mouth so he doesn't try some shit like that again.

"Mandatory retaliation." :rofl

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 09:49 PM
If Horry can pull off that intentionally, he has body control that would make a gymnast jealous.

How much talent does it take to walk up behind a backpeddling man and lean into him with a shoulder into his injured back? Come on son, try to use a little sense when you post.

SRJ
05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
How much talent does it take to walk up behind a backpeddling man and lean into him with a shoulder into his injured back? Come on son, try to use a little sense when you post.

It takes no talent in an accidental collision. That's just wrong place, wrong time. But if Horry was trying to hurt West, He would have to know within the space of 1/2 second or less that West would be backing into him and he'd have to put his hands in just the right spot to make the proper hit.

Before you try and sell me that "these guys are trained to act in split seconds", please keep in mind that basketball players do not train for decades to hit guys in soft spots. They're basketball players, not martial artists.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 12:45 AM
It takes no talent in an accidental collision. That's just wrong place, wrong time. But if Horry was trying to hurt West, He would have to know within the space of 1/2 second or less that West would be backing into him and he'd have to put his hands in just the right spot to make the proper hit.

Before you try and sell me that "these guys are trained to act in split seconds", please keep in mind that basketball players do not train for decades to hit guys in soft spots. They're basketball players, not martial artists.

He did know several seconds in advance that West would be backing into him. West started backpeddling, then Horry stepped right up behind him and leaned in with all his weight, knowing West was totally unsuspecting. If you ever played basketball you know how it feels to get jarred from behind on a pick you didn't see, my high school basketball coach used to get pissed if you didn't call out a backscreen to warn a teammate because you can get hurt easily. Now in Horry's case, it wasn't a hard pick but the fact that West had a PINCHED NERVE in his back that makes it so bad.

SRJ
05-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Now in Horry's case, it wasn't a hard pick

Thank you. So now, I guess Horry knew to apply the exact amount of pressure to make West collapse to the ground in pain, right?

Seriously - wouldn't a dirty play be something like Horry winding up and unloading on that sore back?

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Thank you. So now, I guess Horry knew to apply the exact amount of pressure to make West collapse to the ground in pain, right?

Seriously - wouldn't a dirty play be something like Horry winding up and unloading on that sore back?

Sigh..I guess you've never played contact sports enough to experience back spasms or a pinched nerve. It's like getting hit in the nuts, all it takes is a little tap. The spine is the center of your nervous system and is very sensitive. The whiplash from backing into a stationary object would have been enough to hurt, but Horry kept his weight low and leaned into it so when West hit him he would be solid and not give.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 01:01 AM
He did know several seconds in advance that West would be backing into him. West started backpeddling, then Horry stepped right up behind him and leaned in with all his weight, knowing West was totally unsuspecting. If you ever played basketball you know how it feels to get jarred from behind on a pick you didn't see, my high school basketball coach used to get pissed if you didn't call out a backscreen to warn a teammate because you can get hurt easily. Now in Horry's case, it wasn't a hard pick but the fact that West had a PINCHED NERVE in his back that makes it so bad.

Jesus! so even you admit that what made the whole thing blow out of proportion is the fact that West was in such a bad shape that a pick, that wasn't even a hard pick (your words) would send him to the floor writhing in pain. Why the hell was West playing then? Now all of a sudden, players are supposed to take extra care NOT to aggravate the past injuries of their counterparts? are you freaking kidding me!?

Dave McNulla
05-18-2008, 01:04 AM
http://www.hornets247.com/images/blog/2008/05/horry-hits-west.jpg

nobody is doing anything to david west's lower back. horry has a right to set a pick, and an obligation to create a lane for ginobili to go to the basket.

it's just unfortunate that west was playing with a bad back, especially in a game that was already decided. it wasn't robert horry's fault.

Behrooz24
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM

So it's Pargo's fault http://smiliesftw.com/x/runaway.gif

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
05-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Looked like a calculated play to me. Some would call it a veteran move, others a cheap shot.

Horry saw an opportunity to give a shot to an injured West and took it.

SRJ
05-18-2008, 03:23 AM
Sigh..I guess you've never played contact sports enough to experience back spasms or a pinched nerve.

Nothing says "I am all out of arguments" like unverifiable expertise.

Well, fine. My name is Robert Terrell Cummings and I'm a former Spur. Now it is you who haven't played as much contact sports as I have.

Slippy
05-18-2008, 05:56 AM

Every screen a player sets is pre-meditated. If a power forward can't handle contact on a pick, he shouldn't be out on the court playing basketball. Considering how fragile West looked when he got bumped, the hornets took a big risk playing him trailing by 21 in the 4th. A gamble on a star player that didn't pay off. Welcome to the play-offs.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Well, fine. My name is Robert Terrell Cummings and I'm a former Spur. Now it is you who haven't played as much contact sports as I have.

Lame response

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Looked like a calculated play to me. Some would call it a veteran move, others a cheap shot.

Horry saw an opportunity to give a shot to an injured West and took it.

Thanks for stating the obvious which obviously isn't so obvious to some.

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Sigh..I guess you've never played contact sports enough to experience back spasms or a pinched nerve. It's like getting hit in the nuts, all it takes is a little tap. The spine is the center of your nervous system and is very sensitive. The whiplash from backing into a stationary object would have been enough to hurt, but Horry kept his weight low and leaned into it so when West hit him he would be solid and not give.

West is sooooo fragile.

That's why he's playing when his team is down 21 midway through the 4th quarter, with Chris Paul on the bench.

That rough n' tough style of NBA play that you're advocating for would have had a Spurs player undercut West to intentionally injure him, perhaps permanently. If we played by those rules, Horry would have put West out of the playoffs, not out of half a quarter. And it WOULD have been intentional. But you'd be happy then, wouldn't you? Because the mark of a grown man is how many people he can hurt and how many punches he can throw to prove how "hard" he is.

Your logics, it's calling you, and it's not happy you've abandoned it in favor of pathetically stupid homer hate. Perhaps if you were a better fisherman, you would have something to instead of troll this board looking for nibbles.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 01:57 PM
West is sooooo fragile.

That's why he's playing when his team is down 21 midway through the 4th quarter, with Chris Paul on the bench.

That rough n' tough style of NBA play that you're advocating for would have had a Spurs player undercut West to intentionally injure him, perhaps permanently. If we played by those rules, Horry would have put West out of the playoffs, not out of half a quarter. And it WOULD have been intentional. But you'd be happy then, wouldn't you? Because the mark of a grown man is how many people he can hurt and how many punches he can throw to prove how "hard" he is.

Your logics, it's calling you, and it's not happy you've abandoned it in favor of pathetically stupid homer hate. Perhaps if you were a better fisherman, you would have something to instead of troll this board looking for nibbles.

Hey I'm actually a decent fisherman. I'm sorry if I missed anything important, I skimmed through and saw the word "fishing."

SRJ
05-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Lame response

...says the former great player.

ballhog
05-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Every screen a player sets is pre-meditated. If a power forward can't handle contact on a pick, he shouldn't be out on the court playing basketball. Considering how fragile West looked when he got bumped, the hornets took a big risk playing him trailing by 21 in the 4th. A gamble on a star player that didn't pay off. Welcome to the play-offs.

Don't believe he was hurt bad at all. If it was that bad, he wouldn't be going on Monday night.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 02:46 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Cummings

:wow

- Mars

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
...says the former great player.

Ok I'll play along. If you're really Terry Cummings, then post a pic holding up a piece of paper that says SpursTalk. Untill then STFU

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok I'll play along. If you're really Terry Cummings, then post a pic holding up a piece of paper that says SpursTalk. Untill then STFU

lol, forum test myspace style

- Mars

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
hey mavs>spurs, how come you weren't up in arms when Chandler did the exact same thing to Parker?? I know why, 'cause you're a fucking hypocrite! that's why!

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey I'm actually a decent fisherman. I'm sorry if I missed anything important, I skimmed through and saw the word "fishing."

Then let me repost:

West is sooooo fragile.

----

Maybe you'll read it now, instead of ignorantly spouting such drivel and not listening to anything another person has to say on the matter.

Honestly, why the hell are you on Spurstalk if not to debate sports? Unless you just want to see other people react to your posts, which is kind of what you are admitting by the above comment.

Sadly, I didn't expect any better out of you.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Then let me repost:

West is sooooo fragile.

----

Maybe you'll read it now, instead of ignorantly spouting such drivel and not listening to anything another person has to say on the matter.

Honestly, why the hell are you on Spurstalk if not to debate sports? Unless you just want to see other people react to your posts, which is kind of what you are admitting by the above comment.

Sadly, I didn't expect any better out of you.

Ok, fucker, you want a response I'll give you one. First off, you're absolutely right West should not have been on the court when this happened. But the fact that West's coach made a mistake doesn't give free rights to injure a player. I'm not advocating a rough and tough NBA style by saying players should purposely injure eachother, but I guarantee if players could retaliate like back in the day without getting suspended guys like Horry and Bowen would think twice. You can actually play pretty physical without injuring anyone if you just use your brain. There's such thing as a "good hard foul" and a "bad hard foul." Example, when I play pickup games I don't mind body contact or if people hit me on the arms, I never call my fouls. But if someone undercuts me or recklessly hits me in the face, I'm just about ready to fight. Playing good solid physical ball has nothing to do with injuring people, it's about playing basketball the way it was meant to be played and that's the only thing I advocated.

And the reason I didn't read your post the first time isn't because I'm trolling, it's because I hear enough of your whiny homerism in the game chats. You typically don't have much to offer this board, hence why I skimmed your post.

Unless you just want to see other people react to your posts, which is kind of what you are admitting by the above comment. Sure I sometimes post things to piss people off and get a kick out of the way they react, but it's usually because you people drove me insane with your homer bias.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 04:49 PM
hey mavs>spurs, how come you weren't up in arms when Chandler did the exact same thing to Parker?? I know why, 'cause you're a fucking hypocrite! that's why!

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Because I don't watch every Spurs game like a hawk and I missed it.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Because I don't watch every Spurs game like a hawk and I missed it.

conveniently I might add

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 04:57 PM
conveniently I might add

If it was a dirty play, it was a dirty play. What do you want me to do, tell Tyson's momma and make him come apologize to you personally? Maybe if he did something similar to Parker, that's why Horry also didn't get suspended.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 05:01 PM
If it was a dirty play, it was a dirty play. What do you want me to do, tell Tyson's momma and make him come apologize to you personally? Maybe if he did something similar to Parker, that's why Horry also didn't get suspended.

There's a youtube video showing exactly what he did in a thread here. Check it out. The ONLY difference between one and the other is the fact that West had an injured back. In fact, Parker took an even bigger hit.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm lookin for it but not finding anything. Feel free to post it if you stumble across it again.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
dh6IBQO6M3s

Here, 8:03 minute mark

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Here, 8:03 minute mark

Nasty play, sometimes shit happens. Looked like Chandler was stationary though, and had been standing there stationary before Parker even crossed half court. Even the announcer says "It looked like he was stationary, it's really not even Tyson's fault. Parker should be mad at Duncan for not calling out that screen." It's unfortunate but at least Parker was ok.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Nasty play, sometimes shit happens. Looked like Chandler was stationary though, and had been standing there stationary before Parker even crossed half court. Even the announcer says "It looked like he was stationary, it's really not even Tyson's fault. Parker should be mad at Duncan for not calling out that screen." It's unfortunate but at least Parker was ok.

Parker was ok because he didn't have a back injury to begin with. Point is Chandler's play wasn't dirty, nor was Horry's

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Parker was ok because he didn't have a back injury to begin with. Point is Chandler's play wasn't dirty, nor was Horry's

Hell no it wasn't particularly "dirty," guys take harder hits than that all the time. It was the fact that he had a bad back and Horry premeditated it that pisses me off.

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok, fucker, you want a response I'll give you one. First off, you're absolutely right West should not have been on the court when this happened. But the fact that West's coach made a mistake doesn't give free rights to injure a player. I'm not advocating a rough and tough NBA style by saying players should purposely injure eachother, but I guarantee if players could retaliate like back in the day without getting suspended guys like Horry and Bowen would think twice. You can actually play pretty physical without injuring anyone if you just use your brain. There's such thing as a "good hard foul" and a "bad hard foul." Example, when I play pickup games I don't mind body contact or if people hit me on the arms, I never call my fouls. But if someone undercuts me or recklessly hits me in the face, I'm just about ready to fight. Playing good solid physical ball has nothing to do with injuring people, it's about playing basketball the way it was meant to be played and that's the only thing I advocated.

Sorry that the NBA doesn't follow your version of pick-up. :lol

And the reason I didn't read your post the first time isn't because I'm trolling, it's because I hear enough of your whiny homerism in the game chats. You typically don't have much to offer this board, hence why I skimmed your post.
Sure I sometimes post things to piss people off and get a kick out of the way they react, but it's usually because you people drove me insane with your homer bias.

Yes. I'm a homer. That's why fans of other teams, including David West's team, agrees with the VAST MAJORITY of opinion on here that there was nothing wrong with the pick. But yes, it's due to our homerism. Next.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Sorry that the NBA doesn't follow your version of pick-up. :lol

You said that I advocate dirty play, but then get mad at Horry's screen. I showed you why that wasn't true, not that the NBA "doesn't follow my version of pick-up." If that's all that you got out of my post, then you obviously aren't even worth my time.

Yes. I'm a homer. That's why fans of other teams, including David West's team, agrees with the VAST MAJORITY of opinion on here that there was nothing wrong with the pick. But yes, it's due to our homerism. Next.

Who says the vast majority of Hornet fans agree there was nothing wrong? Some proof would be nice, I find that hard to believe. And for the record, yes you are a homer, so far you have whined about the officiating in EVERY SINGLE GAME CHAT this series.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Hell no it wasn't particularly "dirty," guys take harder hits than that all the time. It was the fact that he had a bad back and Horry premeditated it that pisses me off.

again give me a fucking break! If West had a bad back THEN HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PLAYING!! Its not Horry's fault that he did nothing dirty, and because West was already injured, all of a sudden its wrong.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
again give me a fucking break! If West had a bad back THEN HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PLAYING!! Its not Horry's fault that he did nothing dirty, and because West was already injured, all of a sudden its wrong.

Maybe it's a moral issue. If it was me I wouldn't have braced myself and leaned into the screen, making myself as solid a target as I could. Look, I just don't feel that Horry was just out there playing basketball and set a regular screen without thinking. Even guys like whottt say Horry is a crafty veteran and knew what he was doing.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Maybe it's a moral issue. If it was me I wouldn't have braced myself and leaned into the screen, making myself as solid a target as I could. Look, I just don't feel that Horry was just out there playing basketball and set a regular screen without thinking. Even guys like whottt say Horry is a crafty veteran and knew what he was doing.

SO WHAT?

Now look, let me try to make a parallel for you since you can't seem to comprehend Horry's actions.

Let's say Clinton Portis gets hurt. Injures his shoulder, right? And its Dal vs Was. And we all fucking hate the Deadskins more than any other team. Do you think that DeMarcus Ware is going to AVOID tackling Portis on the shoulder? NO, he's gonna AIM for that shoulder. Why? Because it's a weakness, and in sports you exploit weaknesses all the time.

- Mars

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 05:59 PM
SO WHAT?

Now look, let me try to make a parallel for you since you can't seem to comprehend Horry's actions.

Let's say Clinton Portis gets hurt. Injures his shoulder, right? And its Dal vs Was. And we all fucking hate the Deadskins more than any other team. Do you think that DeMarcus Ware is going to AVOID tackling Portis on the shoulder? NO, he's gonna AIM for that shoulder. Why? Because it's a weakness, and in sports you exploit weaknesses all the time.

- Mars

I comprehend just fine without your help, thanks. To some it's a smart play, to some it's a dirty play. But I guarantee if we reversed roles and someone known for being dirty did this to Duncan, we'd never hear the end of it. And I can also guarantee if I was West it would take every ounce of willpower to keep from getting up and hitting Horry in the mouth. Back spasms hurt like nothing else, I know this from experience, and I can only imagine what a pinched nerve feels like.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 06:03 PM

come on man. Are you seriously trying to say Horry should have played the pick gently so as to avoid aggravating West's injury?? you can't be this naive

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 06:04 PM
come on man. Are you seriously trying to say Horry should have played the pick gently so as to avoid aggravating West's injury?? you can't be this naive

All i'm saying is I'd like to see a great series played with both teams at full strength, and i'd like to be able to say the players feel the same way.

smeagol
05-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Yes.

This is exactly what he's saying.

It is as stupid as you make it sound :lol

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 06:23 PM
All i'm saying is I'd like to see a great series played with both teams at full strength, and i'd like to be able to say the players feel the same way.

You didn't really answer my question, did you?

Are you seriously trying to say Horry should have played the pick gently so as to avoid aggravating West's injury?? yes or no?

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
You said that I advocate dirty play, but then get mad at Horry's screen. I showed you why that wasn't true, not that the NBA "doesn't follow my version of pick-up."

You don't advocate dirty play, but you have stated that you want to go back to the rules of the 80s, when players were allowed to fight. Please, be more contradictory in your statements.

If that's all that you got out of my post, then you obviously aren't even worth my time.

And you really aren't worth mine. I just like to point out the gaping holes in your assertions for my own amusement. Seems others are doing the same here, as well.

Who says the vast majority of Hornet fans agree there was nothing wrong? Some proof would be nice, I find that hard to believe. And for the record, yes you are a homer, so far you have whined about the officiating in EVERY SINGLE GAME CHAT this series.

And if you'll notice in Game 6 I argued that several calls should not have been fouls on New Orleans. I'm fed up with officiating in general and make no secret that I think the home team is getting more than just a slight benefit in this year's playoffs.

I think most knowledgeable Hornets fans would agree that the pick is just good hard basketball.

mouse
05-18-2008, 08:10 PM
mavs>spurs I would chime in but talking to chumpdumper is like trying to get your dog to use a litter box he still thinks jet fuel can melt a steel framed building and that 9/11 was planned by the Jews.

As for the Horry put a Maverick jersey on him and have him shove Tim Duncan and you will really see hypocrisy in it's prime.

Strike
05-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Hornets will crush the spursies Monday Night

http://www.m3nt0r.de/blog/wp-content/photos/KillYourself.jpg

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.m3nt0r.de/blog/wp-content/photos/KillYourself.jpg

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes.

This is exactly what he's saying.

It is as stupid as you make it sound :lol

Oh god shut the fuck up.

Didn't you attempt to call somebody a sissy in another thread? I read that post and literally laughed out loud when I got a visual image of that pic you posted, as if you have any right to be calling someone a sissy. Son you look like the kids in school I felt sorry for because they were always getting picked on and beat up.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
You don't advocate dirty play, but you have stated that you want to go back to the rules of the 80s, when players were allowed to fight. Please, be more contradictory in your statements.

Those statements aren't contradictory. You can play good, hard nosed basketball, and even have an occasional fight without being dirty. Dirty plays are those that seriously hurt someone or have the potential to seriously hurt someone. Either that, or put them out and make them miss games. Undercutting someone could potentially result in death if they landed on their head or at least put them out for many games, such as Derek Anderson or Joe Johnson. That's an example of a dirty play. Good hard fouls are part of the game and no one is seriously hurt besides some red marks and bruises. Big difference.

And if you'll notice in Game 6 I argued that several calls should not have been fouls on New Orleans. I'm fed up with officiating in general and make no secret that I think the home team is getting more than just a slight benefit in this year's playoffs.

So you admit to being a little bitch. Cool.

I think most knowledgeable Hornets fans would agree that the pick is just good hard basketball.

What you "think" obviously holds no ground with me or we wouldn't be having this argument would we?

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
mavs>spurs I would chime in but talking to chumpdumper is like trying to get your dog to use a litter box he still thinks jet fuel can melt a steel framed building and that 9/11 was planned by the Jews.

As for the Horry put a Maverick jersey on him and have him shove Tim Duncan and you will really see hypocrisy in it's prime.

Exactly my point

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
blah blah blah i hate the spurs blah blah i hate horry blah blah blah i'm mad the mavs are fishing yap yap i feel the need to defend a viewpoint that isnt even shared by Hornets fans blah

- Mars

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
blah blah blah i hate the spurs blah blah i hate horry blah blah blah i'm mad the mavs are fishing yap yap i feel the need to defend a viewpoint that isnt even shared by Hornets fans blah

- Mars

I don't even hate the Spurs, Parker and Ginobili are two of my favorite players who I try to model my own game after. See what happens when you talk out of your ass son?

- Mavs

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't even hate the Spurs, Parker and Ginobili are two of my favorite players who I try to model my own game after. See what happens when you talk out of your ass son?

- Mavs

then why the fuck are you babbling on about something that Hornet and Spurs fans agree on? that the play wasn't dirty?

- Mars

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
A thousand Spur fans could come in here and argue against me, but as long as mouse sides with me his opinion means more than the rest of you lame homer smack talking homos. Mars don't you got a Hilary Duff concert or something to be going to?

HFFL
05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
mavs>spurs owns all of you I have read all pages and he is dead on! I was hoping for a fare game but now I hope the Spurs not only lose but Manu gets his Argentina broke back ass raped by 19 points

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I was hoping for a fare game but now I hope the Spurs not only lose

Nine pence.

dav4463
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
That's because Parker isn't in the same class as Paul and Williams..he's probably a top 5 point guard in the league but there's a big gap from 2nd place to the rest of the pack.

I would take Parker over any of them. Williams is not as good of a shooter as Parker. He doesn't finish near as well.

Paul may be on a roll right now, but let's see him do it over an extended period of time.

Parker is a much better defender than either Paul or Williams.

Parker's wife is hotter.

SPARKY
05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
mavs>spurs owns all of you I have read all pages and he is dead on! I was hoping for a fare game but now I hope the Spurs not only lose but Manu gets his Argentina broke back ass raped by 19 points

"fare"? Fucking illiterate coonass.

spursfan09
05-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Manu gets his Argentina broke back ass raped by 19 points

wow definitly the epitome of class.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 10:58 PM
A thousand Spur fans could come in here and argue against me, but as long as mouse sides with me his opinion means more than the rest of you lame homer smack talking homos. Mars don't you got a Hilary Duff concert or something to be going to?

lmao that was so utterly weak that there isn't even an appropriate response to it. other than you're an dumbass.

- Mars

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 11:01 PM
lmao that was so utterly weak that there isn't even an appropriate response to it. other than you're an dumbass.

- Mars

:lol @ "utterly weak" Sounds like something a homo would say, so I guess it's appropriate

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 11:04 PM
:lol @ "utterly weak" Sounds like something a homo would say, so I guess it's appropriate

http://www.speedofwood.com/forumcrap/goodone.jpg

- Mars

ClingingUranus
05-18-2008, 11:12 PM
http://www.speedofwood.com/forumcrap/goodone.jpg

- Mars

We totally pwned that silly Mav fan. By the way, how's the girl with asshole leukemia doing?

- Uranus

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 11:14 PM
:lmao Mars comes in to accuse that of being my troll in 5..4..3..2..1

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
We totally pwned that silly Mav fan. By the way, how's the girl with asshole leukemia doing?

- Uranus

come on mavs>spurs, that's not funny :king

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM

ZERO!

- Mars

HFFL
05-18-2008, 11:54 PM

& 1

Mister Sinister
05-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Yon thread delivereth.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2008, 12:11 AM

What are you? fucking 12?? What? are there no schools left in NO? the fuck are you doing up this late? I guess I shouldn't expect more from some little bitch coming from a backwater fucking swamp like NO.

HFFL
05-19-2008, 01:05 AM
Oh god shut the fuck up.

Quote of the day!!

pat-na :toast

WildcardManu
05-19-2008, 01:22 AM

STFU Dirk got pimp slapped by West.

Mavs08
05-19-2008, 01:23 AM
Yon thread delivereth.

WildcardManu
05-19-2008, 01:33 AM

Then why make a big deal out of Horry putting the screen?

WildcardManu
05-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Quote of the day!!

pat-na :toast

Douchebag of the day.:toast

Pick of Destiny
05-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Exactly my point

Rack Him!

MavTalker
05-19-2008, 08:35 PM

mavs>spurs a moderator @ MavTalk Pm'd me this link he said some Dallas Maverick fan is getting ganged up on for speaking the truth at Spurs talk so I read all pages and it looks like it's the other way around.

I am not really a big Mouse supporter but I must admit he calls it like he sees it and he gets banned at least once a year from our website.

As far as Spur fans go, if Obama was a Spurs player he would be the best person to win, he is well educated and can be trusted. If Obama was a Hornet player? He would not be the best person to win, and can't be trusted.

Another player touches a Spurs player? He is dirty should be suspended. If Bowen takes his knee and shoves it in Nash's head and brain matter shoots out and hits Stern on the side of the head? It's good "D"

you do the math.

Johnny RIngo
05-19-2008, 08:53 PM
As far as Spur fans go, if Obama was a Spurs player he would be the best person to win, he is well educated and can be trusted. If Obama was a Hornet player? He would not be the best person to win, and can't be trusted.

Another player touches a Spurs player? He is dirty should be suspended. If Bowen takes his knee and shoves it in Nash's head and brain matter shoots out and hits Stern on the side of the head? It's good "D"

you do the math.

What the hell are you talking about? Spurs fans have a right to be defensive. Horry hard fouls West and the Spurs are vilified all over the media. Chandler does the same shit to Parker and no one cares.

And :lol at Mav fans trying to lecture other teams about dirty plays in the playoffs:

-Juwan Howard taking Derek Anderson out of the playoffs
-Terry nut-punching Finley
-JKidd trying to knock off Pargo's head