PDA

View Full Version : How much more trapping should we expect to see on Chris Paul in Game 7?

Amuseddaysleeper
05-17-2008, 02:15 AM
Seeing as how the hard traps led to some turnovers in game 6, do you think Pop will go to it a lot more often? The original gameplan being to shut down everyone else and let Paul get his, perhaps Pop may try to force Cp3 to give up the ball faster and force the role players to win the game.

I hope Pop still has some tricks left up his sleeve.

Admiral Ackbar
05-17-2008, 04:21 AM
What's a key to stopping the Hornets?

It's a trap!

sribb43
05-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Hopefully Pop wont take a page out of Avery;s book and trap with Oberto or Kurt Thomas at half court like he did with Damp, :lol....good ol' avery

mrspurs
05-17-2008, 07:39 AM
whatever it takes to win game 7 is fine with me....even another hip check....go spurs go

remingtonbo2001
05-17-2008, 07:55 AM
I liked the Bowen-Udoka combo on the court.

Solid D
05-17-2008, 07:59 AM
It hasn't always worked. He is such a strong player that if he has the slightest gap, he'll split it or get around it. It did work in game 6. Chris tried to make things happen too much by himself and the Spurs Bigs drew a couple of charges.

I think if David West is hitting his mid-range jumper, the Spurs won't trap Chris very often.

bobbybob0
05-17-2008, 09:20 AM
I think you have to mix it up with single coverage and switches on PnR.

I liked how Pop throw the trap at Paul in the 3rd quarter just when he was getting hot and looking for his own offense.

You can't do it too often because CP is such a good passer that he will figure out quickly which guys will be open and throw them the ball for on open shot

SAGambler
05-17-2008, 09:27 AM
It hasn't always worked. He is such a strong player that if he has the slightest gap, he'll split it or get around it. It did work in game 6. Chris tried to make things happen too much by himself and the Spurs Bigs drew a couple of charges.

I think if David West is hitting his mid-range jumper, the Spurs won't trap Chris very often.

West is the key to this game. If he comes out limping and grimacing, then we trap the hell out of Paul. If he looks like he can actually play and not just be a decoy, then not so much trapping, but doing it at critical times to throw him off any rhythm he may be getting into.

And play like your life depends on it in the third quarter. This is the quarter that seems to determine the outcome of the game.

CharlieMac
05-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Also, no one else on the court really came twoards the ball when he was trapped. It seems that sat back waiting for him to split that.

Using it in the 3rd was brilliant, I agree. Mentally, their confidence comes from those offensive outburst in the third. If we stop that, we'll be ok with the trap.

tmtcsc
05-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree with using the trap strategically at different points. I also liked that we made it a point to have David West earn his shots by taking the ball to the basket. Sore backs don't like alot of movement.

On Defense: Stick on Peja, Make West move and throw different looks at CP3.

On Offense: Earn the 3's by taking the ball to the basket, hit the open shots when they are given to us, rebound the ball, limit the fast break opps of the Hornets.

We can and will win this thing on Monday. Hornets are done.

florige
05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Also, no one else on the court really came twoards the ball when he was trapped. It seems that sat back waiting for him to split that.

Using it in the 3rd was brilliant, I agree. Mentally, their confidence comes from those offensive outburst in the third. If we stop that, we'll be ok with the trap.

I agree 100% with that statement. Every game we have played there we have led or it has been nail biting close at the half. I would be a lot less confident going into this game if we were getting blown out from start to finish. I really think that if that scenario is like that Monday, I honestly believe that we win that game.

Flux451
05-17-2008, 11:45 AM

I agree. I was happiest watching when they were on the court. Udoka has to have the touch though.

As far as the trap. I think it depends on what team is out on the court. I like Fab involved in the trap. He moves we and has a reach.

loquats
05-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I think it would be a mistake at this point. Dallas tried it and got ate up. It worked in game 6 because Pop did it at a surprising time. Kudos to him for the timing. But after 3 days of study, the Hornets will be ready for such acts.

I've never seen the Spurs try so many different things in a series before. They are literally throwing the kitchen sink at the Hornets.

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 12:54 PM
It's a trap!

http://www.itsatrap.net/

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I think it would be a mistake at this point. Dallas tried it and got ate up. It worked in game 6 because Pop did it at a surprising time. Kudos to him for the timing. But after 3 days of study, the Hornets will be ready for such acts.

I've never seen the Spurs try so many different things in a series before. They are literally throwing the kitchen sink at the Hornets.

Pop wasn't kidding when he said he'd re-invent the light bulb in this series.

- Mars

E20
05-17-2008, 12:59 PM
If both Udoka and Bowen are hitting their threes then all I can say is :downspin:

DazedAndConfused
05-17-2008, 01:04 PM
The reason you haven't seen the CP3 trap much is precisely because of David West. When you trap CP3 West is wide open at the free throw line for a jumpshot. It just so happens he had a TURRIBLE shooting night in Game 6, so it worked to the Spur's advantage. But if he is remotely close to as hot as he was in Game 5 the trap will backfire in SAS face.

And I wouldn't question if West is going to be healthy in Game 7. 4 days of rest, that's almost an eternity for NBA players when you consider the kind of round the clock treatment they got. Look at Kobe last night, dude looked 100% fine to me after about 4 days of treatment.

Bob Lanier
05-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Once the secondary rotations leave Mo Pete open and he starts hitting threes, not much.