PDA

View Full Version : Know A Spur?

PopRocks
05-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Anyone out there know a Spur or someone with the organization?

Ran in to one around town?

Who and what are they like?

I've heard most of the players are very personable and nice.

Tyler_Durden
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I met Robert Horry at Fiesta Texas. he punched me in the back.

CP3-MVP
05-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Bowen kicked my ankles when I saw him

what a douche

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Bowen kicked my ankles when I saw him

what a douche

I was there. He didn't kick your ankles. You ankled his feet.

lefty
05-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I said hi to Tony Parker and he tried to beat me 1 on 1 on a basketball court.I don't know why. :wtf

I saw Ime Udoka and he kicked my ass; maybe because I'm Algerian :wtf

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I kicked Tim Duncan's ass 1 on 1 at the local YMCA one offseason.

Brutalis
05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
I saw TD at a Foot Locker one night, he knocked some sweet KG3's size 12s onto the floor by accident and blamed it on me when the glass then fell and broke. I had to pay for it. As he walked out he smirked at me real evil like.

Tyler_Durden

uh huh. Sure ya did.

lefty

You know he doesn't do shit in the regular season

What did you expect from him during the offseason?

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 04:32 PM

:lmao

TampaDude
05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Seriously...my wife went to high school with David Robinson. That's why we've been Spurs fans for many years. Haven't met any Spurs recently, though...of course, we live in Tampa, so we don't get too many Spurs in town...plenty of Yankees, but not Spurs...

urunobili
05-17-2008, 04:39 PM

:lmao

TampaDude
05-17-2008, 04:41 PM

:lol

timmydidit
05-17-2008, 04:44 PM
I tried to help Manu on the street cuz i thought he was choking on a piece of a hotdog but as soon as i tried to give him the heimlich maneuver he got up and he said he was just flopping

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I tried to help Manu on the street cuz i thought he was choking on a piece of a hotdog but as soon as i tried to give him the heimlich maneuver he got up and he said he was just flopping

You guys are fucking killing me! :lmao

mrspurs
05-17-2008, 07:09 PM
if steve kerr counts, i know him thru his son, both his son and mine were in the alamo heights district...we met more then a few times....ive met every player, i know a secret and can sometimes go behind the curtains during events at the freeman colisum and at&t center...making a hockey rink and a basketball court as well as concert stages, etc. has its benefits........go spurs go

E20
05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Met Ginobili, had him sign a Brazil soccer jacket, he laughed and said I'm not signing that and then he signed it.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Met Ginobili, had him sign a Brazil soccer jacket, he laughed and said I'm not signing that and then he signed it.

nevermind...

E20
05-17-2008, 07:22 PM
nevermind...

You're gonna probably ask me why would I do that?

Well that was my first game at Oracle Arena watching the Spurs so I thought I'd get the best out of it and had Manu sign a bunch of shit real nice guy. He signed a poster of him, shoes, jersey, tickets, then I told my brothe to give me his jacket and he signed that as well.

Tim Duncan signed my other pairs of shoes as well.

Emanuel20
05-17-2008, 07:24 PM

xexex...how classy of him!

E20
05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Yeah he didn't seemed irked or annoyed it was a laugh/smile of suprise and/or befuddlement. I wrote him a message on his website as well and he replied remembered who I was, real nice LOL

GrandeDavid
05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
I prefer not to disclose how well I know or don't know the following gentlemen, but I will say that I have at least had a good conversation with the following in the present Spurs organization:

Coach Pop
R.C. Buford
Will Sevening
David Robinson
Bruce Bowen
Manu Ginobili
Tony Parker's Dad (ok, doesn't really count)

And I can honestly say that all of the above are good guys. Tony's Dad even paid for my Shiner draft at halftime a few years ago. :lol

E20
05-17-2008, 07:32 PM
At away games I tried to yell at Horry and Barry to say what's up and yelled constantly I'm a spurs fan, but they fully ignored every fan that was trying to say something. I even yelled to Barry: I GO TO DE LA SALLE HIGHSCHOOL, then I tried to yell at Horry: I GO TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA, nothing.

The only thing that worked was when I yelled to Manu: Yo Soy Argentino LOL

GrandeDavid
05-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I was there. He didn't kick your ankles. You ankled his feet.

:lol

Emanuel20
05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah he didn't seemed irked or annoyed it was a laugh/smile of suprise and/or befuddlement. I wrote him a message on his website as well and he replied remembered who I was, real nice LOL

That's cool. Lol, he remembered who you are...you are a lucky person!

gospursgojas
05-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Horry goes into the resturant I manage all the time. So did Malik when he was a spur.

Met David Robinson, Tony Parker, Manu and Tim. All were nice except Tim seemed kinda annoyed which was odd bc it was at a basketball camp for kids at a gym I used to play ball at.

I played ball with Antonio Daniels and Jaren Jackson (seperate occasions) at that same gym. Daniels was a stuck up prick and Jaren was cool as shit, was raining 3's from like 30 all game.

m33p0
05-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I've met Mattie B several times. Enough times that he calls me by my name. And I have met rob quite a few times. I remember my most recent conversation with him. I asked "Are you brining extra security up to PHX with you?" His responce "Nah I'm strong as lightning".
most likely is. :lmao

spurschick
05-17-2008, 08:54 PM

<<< see title

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I met Bruce and assistant coaches Brett Brown and Chip Engelland last time I was over there - all really nice guys who looked after me fantastically. I also met David Robinson for a few minutes and he has an aura about him, incredible guy.

TP sat next to me during warmups when I sat courtside, but he was talking to Don Newman so I didn't want to interrupt... I did joke with Horry and TD as they were shooting 3s though.

Finally, as practice was ending the ball came in my direction and I passed it back to Manu, but I was too shy to ask him to come over and chat... :depressed

E20
05-17-2008, 08:56 PM
but I was too shy to ask him to come over and chat... :depressed

No offense Ruff, but that sounded flamboyantly homosexual.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I guess. What I meant was I didn't want to bother anyone, seeing as they had allowed me to go to a practice session.

MarceloM!
05-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I am 4 years older than Manu. I remember so well, when in Bahia Blanca (where Manu was born) he come to asking me about some advices for his play.

tmtcsc
05-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I met Manu at Best Buy. He's an incredibly gracious and nice person. It was soon after we had won the Championship against the Pistons. I had seen him in the store and didn't want to bother him at all. I asked someone to help me find a cable to connect my video camera to my PC and he walked me right over to where Manu was standing. What am I supposed to do ? No one else was anywhere near that area so I decided to talk to him.

I told him a funny story about how told my wife that I loved her but if I ever saw Manu I would give the guy a hug in public. (It was right after the game where he went off on the Denver Nuggets on the road.)

I said, "Don't worry, I'm not going to hug you but I'd like to thank you for everything you've done for the city and for the fans". He said, "Thank you, sir".

He called me "sir". Granted, I was 35 years old at the time but at that moment I felt like a little kid. I felt so old. :)

I also once got a chance to play Alan Houston in a game of Horse at the Concord. Can you believe that ? I'm not even a member. I had an invite sent to me in the mail and my brother and I went in to shoot hoops. He was there working out with weights at about 8 something the day before the game.

He was totally cool. He walked out of the weight room and on to the court and struck up a conversation with me. He said "You went to UT huh ?" (I had a Texas shirt on). I said, "yeah, where did you go to school ? " He replied, "I went to the real UT, University of Tennessee". I think I said something like, "Oh no, you didn't just say that"..

I asked him if he wanted to play a quick game of Horse or Pig, I can't remember. He won...I got 1 letter on him because I have hella range on my shot. In fact, I was matching him for a couple of shots. He told me he was going to see how good my eyesight was and shoot closer. That actually did me in.

SRJ
05-17-2008, 09:36 PM
He won...I got 1 letter on him because I have hella range on my shot. In fact, I was matching him for a couple of shots. He told me he was going to see how good my eyesight was and shoot closer. That actually did me in.

Cool!

phyzik
05-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I raced Matt Bonner when he was in his Grand Am.... I smoked that shit right when the light turned green. Of course I was driving a Camaro SS and I dont think he knew he was racing me, but still...

zepn
05-17-2008, 10:00 PM
I saw David Robinson and his son at the McDonald's at DeZavala shortly after the first championship. He came in so his boy could play in the ball pit thing. How cool and down-to-earth is that? I don't know why I was surprised that he came in and just stood in line and waited his turn like the rest of us mere mortals. Everyone just sort of looked (waaay up) at him in disbelief for half a minute or so and then spontaneously broke out into applause. Anyone in S.A. after the first Championship remembers how crazy the city was during that time. I know it sounds weird, but it was an HONOR to be standing in line at McDonald's with the man. He just smiled real big and said "thanks" and was very humble. I was proud that everyone left him alone after that.

I went to elementary school with Dennis Rodman in Oak Cliff (Dallas). I used to ride bikes with him. Wish I could say I played basketball with him, but not that I recall. He was VERY shy and scrawny, but he had several older sisters that were very athletic. Maybe Freud would tell us that's why he started wearing dresses?

My Mom used to work with Kurt Thomas' Mom at the Dallas Bulk Mail Center. Kurt's Mom is still working there today as far as I know. She is close to retirement and doesn't want to quit until then.

And not Spurs related but kinda cool... my step-sister was in Stevie Ray Vaughn's class (and still has a Valentines card he gave her).

xtremesteven33
05-17-2008, 10:59 PM
i actually saw jacque vaughn today at fiesta texas. he was there with im supposing his GF with twin babies. he looked pretty normal. kinda short. seems like noboy noticed him but i was the only one. i saw him like 3 times and i didnt say anything. didnt want to bother him. then i saw him at the food court and i decided to yell out something. so i yelled out "HEY JACQUE!" he looked at me very quick. and i said "GAME 7 BABY" and he looked at me and said "yes sir. game 7"

cool day for me....

lefty
05-17-2008, 11:01 PM
i actually saw jacque vaughn today at fiesta texas. he was there with im supposing his GF with twin babies. he looked pretty normal. kinda short. seems like noboy noticed him but i was the only one. i saw him like 3 times and i didnt say anything. didnt want to bother him. then i saw him at the food court and i decided to yell out something. so i yelled out "HEY JACQUE!" he looked at me very quick. and i said "GAME 7 BABY" and he looked at me and said "yes sir. game 7"

cool day for me....

Exactly what he looks like on the court.

mavs>spurs2
05-17-2008, 11:25 PM

cool day for me....

How tall are you? Jacque Vaughn is supposed to be 6ft 1..

Real Tomato Ketchup
05-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Was jackin around waiting to get on the four on four game at the Concord back in 93ish. Pop walked by me as I was "working" on my post game. He stopped, spent 25-30 mins with me showing me different things. We never talked for a second about who he was (still very much an asst coach) or whatever, he just showed me some things and I listened. Pop is the greatest.

homer
05-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Never met any Spurs, but I played against Shaq in a high school game. He was an arrogant asshole then too. He couldn't buy a basket from 2' away and was a very bad free-throw shooter. Nothing's changed. We all thought he'd either end up in the NBA or a circus freak show. Given a choice, he followed the money.

YODA
05-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I thought you even heard this name, but Lawrence Payne and Daniel ashkov.
(dont know how to spell his last name.) LP is a big hancho and DA does something in the vidio area. They mention their names at the end of spurs games on TV. Both guys are gratious and nice. Played poker with them both. They are both pretty good players. Had a chance one time to play at TP 's house when he ran that $500 rebuy(birthday i think), but like i could afford that?? no way, plus blind levels were horrible. Would have been able to meet about everyone then, but I guess its not my time.

Saw Robert Horry at Little Red Barn with a fine looking women, but just couldnt let myself go over and bother him. Fealt like I was intruding on his time. 6 feet away and I chicken out.

Did meet Larry Brown one time at south park mall during some autograph session. He stood in middle of mall and nooone had any idea. Walked up to him and said hi. Didnt know what to say, (15 years old or so) A few short words and I was gone. From what few words I said, he was nice.

Funny Story about Antonio Daniels.
MY mother in law worked at San antonio college and there was a autograph session there. they were done and closing down. Antonio started getting out of chair and my mother in law told him to sit down, Im gonna take a picture with you. Antonio didnt know what to say and just sat back down and got his picture taken.

E20
05-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Was jackin around waiting to get on the four on four game at the Concord back in 93ish. Pop walked by me as I was "working" on my post game. He stopped, spent 25-30 mins with me showing me different things. We never talked for a second about who he was (still very much an asst coach) or whatever, he just showed me some things and I listened. Pop is the greatest.
That's pretty bad ass. Pop must really love coaching to just go up to somebody and give the pointers.

J.T.
05-18-2008, 01:44 AM
I went to high school with Malik Rose's brother.

tmtcsc
05-18-2008, 01:53 AM
Never met any Spurs, but I played against Shaq in a high school game. He was an arrogant asshole then too. He couldn't buy a basket from 2' away and was a very bad free-throw shooter. Nothing's changed. We all thought he'd either end up in the NBA or a circus freak show. Given a choice, he followed the money.

He's entirely different off the court. I met him and played against him at the old Ft. Sam Houston sports arena. You weren't allowed to dunk because they didn't have break away rims.

I actually wasn't formally introduced to him until he was in college at LSU. He was eating with a guy I knew at Taco Cabana on Perrin Beitel. I didn't treat it like a big deal and he didn't either.

I have no idea why he became the ultimate villian and Drob hater. He followed the money all right AND went back and got his degree. I was military brat too.

VaSpursFan
05-18-2008, 02:00 AM
went to college with jaren jackson and his wife. saw him at my college reunion last year. he's still the same jaren, generous and funny as hell.

also, met timmy and david at the 2001 all-star game in DC.

Slydragon
05-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Malik Rose went to my HEB back when he was still a Spur and was waiting by the atm machine with a small crowd around him, I could tell he was getting a bit piss, heard him say I just came to use the atm and I am in a hurry, So after I heard him say that I look over to my book keeper standing next to me all star struck and ask whats wrong with the atm she said its being filled. I said so what are you doing standing here. She goes O-shit and runs to the back to get the money bins. He got his cash and she felt dumb, I told her not to sweat it because if he wanted to he could have used a drive threw atm.

Not a Spurs story but it made me laugh hard when it happen, Few years back I was watching some random game on tv and my cousin who is very small and gay stop by and was watching because he was board, anyway Bo Outlaw comes on the TV and they say is name and he goes is that Bo Outlaw from John Jay High School? I said yes and he goes, O-yea I used to pick on him. I laugh my ass off. He couldn't pick on a kitten if he wanted to.

Lady M
05-18-2008, 02:50 AM
I meet Tony in France (I win a game) with few fans. He was so sweet. He spoke 1 hour with us. Invited the one who don't have the tickets for Spurs game in Paris and invited everyone for the ceremony with his Wax Statue 1 month after.
I was on the same row with Pop RC and Peter Holt on my right, Butler was on my left, Jason Williams in front of me, and Bruce in my back. my friend can speak with Bruce and he and his sister can take a photo with Robert Horry

2 fabulous days for me :D

ancestron
05-18-2008, 02:52 AM
I have Tim Duncan and Malik Rose's autographs in frames on my dresser.

EjaculateMeElmo
05-18-2008, 04:52 AM
I've posted this before...but...Ian Mahinimi was a local to the HEB i work at during the toros season.
A small story to tell:
He came in a little late on valentines with a fine looking woman and was buying some random food items and his lady friend looked mad....he payed for his groceries and ran back to grab something...and his girl went to take a seat on the couch we had set up near by. He comes back with a set of roses...and i tell him "your girl ran off...she didn't want to wait" He was like what?!
Then I pointed in the direction of the couch and he said "don't play with me like that man ha!"
After that he we joked around when he came through my line.:hat

blizz
05-18-2008, 05:15 AM
sorry but i gotta call bullshit on a bunch of these stories

angel_luv
05-18-2008, 05:25 AM
I used to be a very active :lol Spurs fan back in the day.
I didn't even realize how much so until I went to make this post. :)

Steve Kerr was the first basketball player I ever saw in person. He came into the Magic Time Machine when I worked there- was dropping his son off at a party.
He was really nice, stopped to say hello to all of us.

I met Manu for the first time at Ihop at an autograph signing. In line for that I met one of my best friends to this day. That was four years ago now.
About a month after that signing, I went to another Manu appearance and met Ginofan. She was in front of me in the line.

I met Sho at the the railing before a Spurs vs Pistons game March 25, 2004.
I met Timmy that day too, although I was too awe inspired to say much to him other than thank you for the autograph.
He signed the plastic case of my card. I was too in awe of him to successfully remove the card from the case and would never have dreamt of asking him to wait, so I just handed him the whole thing.
I almost met Hedo that day. He was coming down the railing line towards me, but made himself scarce when everyone started clamoring over Timmy.
Hedo is my only favorite player that I haven't met- yet.

I almost met Pop at a meet and greet in October 2004 ( this was before an open practice. I was blessed to be allowed in, unexpectedly.)
I was next in line to meet Pop when I saw that Rasho had come out and was greeting fans along with Sean Marks.
I ditched Pop to go talk to Rasho.
That same day I talked to Malik for the first time, also Bruce.

Beno, I met when I accidentally ran into the entire team in the lobby of the hotel they were staying in Houston.
Come to think of it, I spoke to Pop and Coach Carlesimo that day, as well as Sean Elliott.
( Did I spell it right SFIE? :) )
The whole team was so nice to me that day. It was the only day I was really happy to be living in Houston.

My mom met Bruce Bowen a few summers ago. They had the same connecting flight out of Houston.

I can't remember where I first met Robert Horry. I know it took me most of his first season to warm up to the idea of him being a Spur.
The first time I saw him in person, at the railing in 2004 when I met Sho and Timmy, I purposefully did not speak to Robert.
I say that only because now I am a huge fan of his. He completely won me over. I never thought the day would come when I would be sad to see Robert Horry retire.

I've never officially met Tony Parker.

I met Mango Tree at one of his charity run walks.

I met Devin Brown at the grand opening of Malik's second restaurant grand opening.

Aw... youth! :lol

EjaculateMeElmo
05-18-2008, 06:07 AM
sorry but i gotta call bullshit on a bunch of these stories

i'm not bsing.:ihit

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Great stories all, and it's wonderful how these people have so enriched our lives. I guess we all need something to look up to, and this team rarely lets us down as sportsmen or human beings. :tu

stxspurs
05-18-2008, 08:10 AM
horry was at ajuaa yesterday when we went to eat dinner.....awesome food and the horry enchiladas are kick ass....he made up the plate himself..so the menu says

Lakers_55
05-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Bruce Bowen graduated from my alma mater, but I am a lot older than he is so I never saw him there...

For what it's worth, I met Jerry Tarkanian and Dennis Rodman about 6 years ago. Dennis was at a beach bar and tipped the valet people $100 to take care of his Cadillac. That's about it from the world of basketball. Rodman was a spur, Tark wasn't.

hater
05-18-2008, 11:18 AM
is DRob going to the game in NO? If yes, it is a guaranteed win.

tmtcsc
05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Bruce Bowen graduated from my alma mater, but I am a lot older than he is so I never saw him there...

For what it's worth, I met Jerry Tarkanian and Dennis Rodman about 6 years ago. Dennis was at a beach bar and tipped the valet people $100 to take care of his Cadillac. That's about it from the world of basketball. Rodman was a spur, Tark wasn't.

Tark coached the Spurs for about a minute in the 90's. He was dreadful. If I recall, he didn't know how to call a 20 sec. time out.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
One of my best friends works for Nike and works with athletes when they have autograph sessions. He gets around, and has pictures with:

Michael Jordan (he helps run his fantasy camp)
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Lebron James

...and others. I'll post some of the pictures if he ever emails them to me. He's with Sean Singletary right now.

- Mars

Deltonic
05-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I work at Best Buy. I've sold a TV to Horry and have also helped out Parker and Barry. Bonner and Udrich have been in for autograph sessions alongside the Coyote and a few dancers.

Tim Duncan was at iHop the last time I went.

Soul_Patch
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
I play poker occasionally with one of the VP's in marketing for the Spurs. Sometimes a few of the training staff from their work out facility join in too, but i couldnt say i know the trainers all that well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
tmt - yup, Jerry Tarkanian coached the Spurs for 20 games in 1992.

BTW, dude, if you ever change your avatar there'll be trouble! Sometimes it is the one bright thing in my day. ;)

LakerMagic
05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I've seen Eva in real life before.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 10:14 PM
My stories are legit. I forgot a Mattie B story. Once I was wearing my custom made jersey and just watching the Spurs warm up and I had on my custom Spurs jersey I decided to put number 15 on it. So Matt walks by and he calls me and gives me a thumbs up and says nice jersey. I explain to him that it wasn't a Bonner jersey and he looked bummed out and said "You could have been the only one man!"

dude you shoulda let Bonner have his moment!

- Mars

Trainwreck2100
05-18-2008, 10:19 PM
I've seen Eva in real life before.

i saw Eva and Tony at La Madeline once

NRHector
05-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Ran in to one around town?

Who and what are they like?

I've heard most of the players are very personable and nice.I work in a store here in san antonio and i see Manu, bruce, timmy and eva sometimes but manu is a nice person, i heard some nice stories about manu from the associates when he come to shop

tmtcsc
05-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Manu shops at Nordstroms quite a bit.

ashbeeigh
05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
My whole family and I were oblivious to the fact that Sean Elliott was looking at the same dog we were at the River City Cluster of Dog Show's way back in the day (I'd say like 1996.... or something). My dad saw him and caught him on tape like three feet away from us. So, that's actually not meeting him, but it could have been....

Later on in life...

I met Beno at Shipley's on Wurzbach and Vance Jackson the day the Spurs won their 2005 championship.

My mom and sister met Beno and his puppy at PetsMart on De Zavala.

And more recently my mom met Ime Udoka at a furniture store on De Zavala and 10 that she works at. A lot of the designers that work there have worked with Spurs and Spurs' wives. Manu and his wife, Fab and his wife, etc.

And not as Spurs related, but still related... my sister ran into Eva Longoria at the post office on De Zavala a few weeks ago. She gave her some career advice, "Screw 'em."

And I do off of De Zavala..it all happened to occur on De Zavala..:lol

spurschick
05-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Manu shops at Nordstroms quite a bit.

:lol He's one of the few that can afford to.

NRHector
05-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Manu shops at Nordstroms quite a bit.he shops at other stores also but i can not say where because I might get fired:flag:

spursfan09
05-18-2008, 11:21 PM
It's been awhile so the events may have been on different days. But It was on a day when the Spurs finished beating the Mavs at the ATT Center and it was also the day the Passion of the Christ came out. Two friends and I went to the Quarry to watch it. The line was really long. Then I saw Tony Parker walking towards the end of the line. He was all glowy it was wierd. I think it must of been that glow you get after you workout, and he did just come from the basketball game. So anyways, after a few minutes TP and his crew were being escorted to the front of the line and people actually started booing. When we finally entered the theatre I was scanning the room trying to look for him, but it was too dark. That is the only time I have ever seen a Spur at a random place and time.

tmtcsc
05-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Horry can be seen "hitting on" chicks all over town.