PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: The Key To Monday Is NBA's Official Flaw

duncan228
05-18-2008, 12:09 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051808.BuckJavie.en.37bbd05.html

Buck Harvey: The key to Monday is NBA's official flaw
By Buck Harvey

The Spurs were in Phoenix, winning their only playoff road game of the spring, when Tim Duncan froze. At least that's the way he looks when he takes his free-throw pose.

Suns fans noticed, and they began to count to 10, because that's how long a free-throw shooter is supposed to have. Shaquille O'Neal was being called for foot faults in that series. Why not tag Duncan on this infraction?

The Suns' coaches asked that very question of the official standing nearby. And Steve Javie smiled.

“I'm not reacting to the crowd,” he said, smiling. “You know me.”

The Suns' coaches know Javie, all right. They know he's the Road-Friendly Ref, and they knew his appearance in their building that night was not a good sign.

There aren't enough Javies, and it's the inherent flaw in this sport. Just as Doc Rivers wonders about calls that went against him in Cleveland on Friday night, and just as the Hornets wonder about Game 6 in San Antonio, the Spurs have reason to wonder now.

Will they be lucky and see Javie again on Monday night?

A court filing Friday by federal prosecutors detailed how deep this goes. According to media reports, Tim Donaghy bet on more than 100 games that he worked, and he was alleged to have given a pair of gamblers inside information.

The info: Tips on which crews would officiate games and how the various officials and players have interacted.

Joey Crawford's past interactions with Duncan, for example, might influence a few bets.

Before this season, few knew who the officials would be before game time. Now the NBA lists the officiating crew the morning of the game on a Web site. That makes the information less secretive, though a few bookies might still find it useful.

That's because tendencies are in place, and it's the underlying factor of a playoff season that has seen so many home wins. Home-court advantage is about familiarity, about energy — and about refs who cave to the crowd.

It's not automatic. The Lakers won on the road Friday night, and they shot 38 free throws vs. 25 for the Jazz.

Still, a lot of those foul shots came at the end when Utah intentionally fouled, and sometimes the free-throw numbers don't reveal everything. The earlier game the same night showed that.

Then the Celtics lost another road game, and they can't blame officiating for all of this. From Atlanta to Cleveland, they've looked like a 46-win team, not a 66.

But the Cavaliers still shot almost twice as many free throws. And with less than a minute left, with Paul Pierce driving and Boston down by only five points, LeBron James drew an offensive foul that no one thought was an offensive foul.

Including James. “I thought it was just out of bounds on me,” he said.

Afterward Doc Rivers sounded like Gregg Popovich after Game 5 in New Orleans. “Honestly, I thought we drove just as hard as them,” Rivers said. “Somehow they ended up on the line. Somehow we didn't.”

Rivers knows what “somehow” is. The lead referee that night was Dick Bavetta, and his seniority could send him to the Spurs' Game 7.

But Bavetta worked Game 2 in New Orleans, so maybe this isn't his turn. Joey Crawford was there for the last one, which would make his return unlikely. Danny Crawford, a well-liked official, could be next.

Or maybe it's Javie.

He wasn't the difference in Game 3 of the Phoenix series; Tony Parker's 41 points and 12 assists were. And Javie's presence doesn't guarantee anything, since he was on the floor last week when the Lakers attempted 42 free throws at home against the Jazz.

Still, his influence is undeniable, as the previous two years show. Spurs fans chanted his name with a vulgarity during a playoff loss to the Mavericks in 2006, and Jazz fans did the same last year in a loss to the Spurs in the Western Conference finals.

To him, that's an ovation.

Javie also worked Game 3 of this series. When he walked out into the AT&T Center, one national writer saw him and said: “There goes the home-court advantage.”

It's no coincidence the closest game of the series followed. The Spurs led by only one point early in the fourth quarter, and the eventual free-throw difference said a lot. Even.

So maybe David West's back is the key Monday, or maybe the Spurs' experience is.

Or maybe it's the appearance of an average-sized, middle-aged man.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 12:15 AM
please javie please

where's that steve javie troll?

- Mars

Princess Pimp
05-18-2008, 01:26 AM
:lol Hahahahaha It's amazing how this fanbase is so desperate that are praying for certain referees to officiate their games.

Pathetic!

Avitus1
05-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Anyone but Joey... my heart drops everytime i see that dick on the court.

lefty
05-18-2008, 01:40 AM
:lol Hahahahaha It's amazing how this fanbase is so desperate that are praying for certain referees to officiate their games.

Pathetic!

Because we want to win another tiltle.

But you don't know what that means, so you can't understand.

sa_kid20
05-18-2008, 01:40 AM
All this article proves is that there is way too much damn time between game 6 and game 7.

lefty
05-18-2008, 01:41 AM
All this article proves is that there is way too much damn time between game 6 and game 7.

:lol

Princess Pimp
05-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Because we want to win another tiltle.

But you don't know what that means, so you can't understand. BUT You won't win shit!

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 01:44 AM

Pathetic!

What's amazing is you still not realizing that the reason why your team still hasn't won shit is because you aren't desperate enough :rolleyes

timvp
05-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Steve Javie, Dan Crawford and Mike Callahan

http://media3.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

lefty
05-18-2008, 01:46 AM
BUT You won't win shit!

We won't win shit (but who wants to win poop? :wtf )

But we'll win the title

J.T.
05-18-2008, 01:50 AM
Isn't it impossible for Joey Crawford to officiate this game because he worked Game 5 and that was less than 14 days ago?

VaSpursFan
05-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Steve Javie, Dan Crawford and Mike Callahan

http://media3.guzer.com/pictures/boy_dog_pray.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:downspin:agree!!!

dav4463
05-18-2008, 05:24 AM
BUT You won't win shit!

We've already won a WHOLE BUNCH OF SHIT, we want MORE!

MannyIsGod
05-18-2008, 07:07 AM
Ok this shit is official now. Harvey is reading Spurstalk and lifting ideas. First he was doing it to Timvp, but now he's moved on to FWDT. I'm not even joking. I really think dude reads here.

angel_luv
05-18-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm not even joking. I really think dude reads here.

Who could blame him? :)

mrspurs
05-18-2008, 08:15 AM
sa kid20 was right......and i might add, wait till the season is over, then buck harvey is really a waste of space.......go spurs go

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 11:01 AM
:lol Hahahahaha It's amazing how pathetic the Rockets are. Fans of the Rockets have to root for the failure of other teams because pussies like TMac and Yao will never get this team anywhere in the playoffs.

Pathetic!

TampaDude
05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Steve Javie and/or Dan Crawford = no excuses for the Spurs...WIN GAME 7!!!

polandprzem
05-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Awefull that spurs fans praying for referees to officiate the spurs game.
I can understand it when it's jokingly but some fans are pathetic.

And it gives more dirt to the game of basketball, and takes away concentration on the game itself.

wtf Harvey: we want Javie or else ... we'll be jobed?
F dat

smeagol
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM

Pathetic!

What is truly pathetic is you posting on this board . . .

TwoHandJam
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
What's really pathetic is that the media knows ref names and writes articles about them. That speaks volumes about the state of NBA officiating.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Awefull that spurs fans praying for referees to officiate the spurs game.
I can understand it when it's jokingly but some fans are pathetic.

And it gives more dirt to the game of basketball, and takes away concentration on the game itself.

wtf Harvey: we want Javie or else ... we'll be jobed?
F dat

you can't possibly be insinuating that worrying about Joey Crawford, who ejected Tim Duncan in a game for LAUGHING, is unnecessary.

- Mars

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 06:26 PM
What is truly pathetic is you posting on this board . . .

LakerLanny
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
What is a joke is how many fans make excuses for obvious NBA officiating bias.

The whole "but one team was more aggressive argument" is so ludicrous. Does anyone honestly believe NBA teams that play 100 games a year are suddenly "not aggressive" just because they aren't playing at home? Honestly?

That is just a crock of BS and always has been. The problem with road games is officials caving into the crowd and becoming fans instead of impartial arbitrators of the game, it has NOTHING to do with aggressiveness and EVERYTHING to do with an appalling lack of professionalism on the part of the pathetic NBA officials.

Just the fact that everyone is so concerned about the officials (and believe me when I say that the teams are as well) is a sign something is seriously wrong. Yet the league commissioner is more concerned with hip hop music and the types of clothes players wear on the bench. Until Stern goes and someone with a love for the game (maybe a Jerry West, Larry Bird or Paul Silas?) is brought in as league commissioner, you can expect more of these antics every spring.

dav4463
05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
I think all game 7's should be played on a neutral court.

polandprzem
05-19-2008, 03:08 AM
you can't possibly be insinuating that worrying about Joey Crawford, who ejected Tim Duncan in a game for LAUGHING, is unnecessary.

- Mars

Yeah well I worry more about how the spurs play then Joey.

pawe
05-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Yeah well I worry more about how the spurs play then Joey.

That's what's in my head right now. D is terrific, only problem is offense. I will pray tonight that the spurs will have both D and O working at full speed.

spurscenter
05-19-2008, 04:16 AM
Ok this shit is official now. Harvey is reading Spurstalk and lifting ideas. First he was doing it to Timvp, but now he's moved on to FWDT. I'm not even joking. I really think dude reads here.

yea some of that article is some of my posts in a less eloquent (but angrier) way. LOL

ShoogarBear
05-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Until Stern goes and someone with a love for the game (maybe a Jerry West, Larry Bird or Paul Silas?) is brought in as league commissioner, you can expect more of these antics every spring.

Jerry West as league commissioner? :lmao Riiiiiight. Yeah, sure that'll put the league on the up-and-up.