PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni Might Try to Get Rid of David Lee

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Mike D'Antoni tosses around different mixes to get Knicks up to speed
Saturday, May 17th 2008, 9:10 PM

Now that Mike D'Antoni holds the key to the machine, some Knicks could be sent packing.

Garden favorites or not, more than a few Knicks' days are probably numbered. When the Suns had a chance to draft David Lee in 2005, Mike D'Antoni opposed it, citing Lee's lack of offensive skills.

Lee hasn't developed much of a game since, and hustle and rebounding only go so far for the Knicks' new coach. In Phoenix, he wanted his big men to be scoring threats from all over the court, and that probably won't change. So that doesn't bode well for Renaldo Balkman or Randolph Morris, either.

Despite his status with fans, Lee has limited range and trouble getting his shot off in traffic. When it comes to another member of the 2005 draft, D'Antoni is much higher on Nate Robinson, whom the Suns drafted and immediately packaged with Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

"Mike doesn't like guys like Lee who can't shoot," a D'Antoni confidant said. "He saw him as a non-scoring power forward when he came out of Florida. But that's why a guy like Jamal Crawford is going to be around. He will thrive in Mike's system. And he likes Nate a lot, too. Mike likes guys who can make plays from anywhere on the court."

Even Zach Randolph will have to diversify his game. In this case, "diversify" doesn't mean shooting more, as "Zebo" probably thinks. He'll have to do more than just catch, hold, dribble, hold, hold some more, and then shoot. Eddy Curry? Who knows what he'll have to do to play in D'Antoni's system - other than the obvious fact that he will have to get into the best shape of his life. Jerome James is a candidate for a buyout or to be packaged in a deal in which the Knicks trade Lee and require the other team to take James, too. On second thought, no one can be that desperate.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/05/17/2008-05-17_mike_dantoni_tosses_around_different_mix.html

Allanon
05-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Lakers should trade Chris Mihm to the Knicks for David Lee. Chris Mihm can shoot. Too bad they traded away Brian Cook already, D'Antoni would love him.

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Oh man, the Spurs would be so lucky to get Lee.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Lee for Bonner. Bonner can shoot.

Bob Lanier
05-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh man, the Spurs would be so lucky to get Lee.
Why's that?

Lee is a rich man's Brian Scalabrine. The fans love him because he's white and hustles, coaches like him because he understands everyone's role and accepts his own, but he doesn't do anything. He's a truly awful defender and has next to no creative offensive skill.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 04:29 PM
A Spurs froncourt rotation of Duncan/Thomas/Lee/Splitter/Mahinmi/Oberto. :hungry:
That would be too good, actually.

Allanon
05-18-2008, 04:30 PM
You can teach somebody how to shoot but you can't teach them how to hustle. David Lee is like a Paul Milsap, Luis Scola, Ronny Turiaf they hustle every night. But unlike Scalabrini, Mark "Mad Dog" Madsen, they actually have skill too.

Bob Lanier
05-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Paul Milsap
Is a very, very good defensive player.

Luis Scola
Is a quality offensive player and not an awful defender.

Ronny Turiaf
Is an above-average defender who has a jumpshot.

Lee flat-out doesn't play defense, and what offensive skills does he have, again?

lefty
05-18-2008, 04:52 PM
So D'Antoni wants to get rid of the Knicks best player ?

I smell another mess in NYC

Cry Havoc
05-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Why's that?

Lee is a rich man's Brian Scalabrine. The fans love him because he's white and hustles, coaches like him because he understands everyone's role and accepts his own, but he doesn't do anything. He's a truly awful defender and has next to no creative offensive skill.

He gets rebounds?

Bob Lanier
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
He's an above-average rebounding power forward.

Name one other player who fits that description who managed to contribute to a good team while giving absolutely nothing on defense, let alone offense?

The closest person I can think of is Nazr Mohammed, who did, after all, flunk out of both San Antonio and Detroit and has managed only to succeed in North Carolina and the Knicks.

balli
05-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Lee is not great, but considering he's about the only big on the team who appears to give half a shit, it would probably be a bad idea to move him. Especially since they wouldn't get anyone good in exchange anyway. Basically what this story boils down to is that the Knickerbockers are just as fucked as always.

DaDakota
05-18-2008, 11:45 PM
You can teach somebody how to shoot but you can't teach them how to hustle. David Lee is like a Paul Milsap, Luis Scola, Ronny Turiaf they hustle every night. But unlike Scalabrini, Mark "Mad Dog" Madsen, they actually have skill too.

Scola can shoot.

DD

DazedAndConfused
05-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Hmm maybe I didn't watch as many Knick games as you guys, sorry I'm not a masochist, but from what I recall David Lee was the lone brightspot on the team.

pawe
05-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Dantoni's system will not work without a nash and an amare. 7 secs or less was effective coz none of the other teams saw it before and they dont have a gameplan to stop it. But now, teams already figured it out and adjusted so Dantoni turned to pick and roll. NY doesnt have a good pocket passer and a quick amare type player who can soar for a dunk, spin to the basket and with a good jumpshot.

mojorizen7
05-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Dantoni's system will not work without a nash and an amare. 7 secs or less was effective coz none of the other teams saw it before and they dont have a gameplan to stop it. But now, teams already figured it out and adjusted so Dantoni turned to pick and roll. NY doesnt have a good pocket passer and a quick amare type player who can soar for a dunk, spin to the basket and with a good jumpshot.

Basically..........yup.

Spur-Addict
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Why's that?

Not even close Brah.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
What the fuck is a "brah"?

E20
06-04-2008, 01:36 AM
What the fuck is a "brah"?
It's how hoody/ghetto people say bro. Get with the times.........

1Parker1
06-04-2008, 01:48 AM
:lol Why would the Spurs want Lee? I'd rather keep Bonner...

Bob Lanier
06-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Why would ghetto people want to imitate frat-trash?

You know what, never mind.

monosylab1k
06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
He has no offensive skills but gets 10 points a night by simply hustling & cleaning up trash around the basket. I'll take it :tu

He's not a godawful defender, average at best probably, but then again anybody would look better on defense when they're playing next to Eddy Curry & Jamal Crawford.

monosylab1k
06-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Why would ghetto people want to imitate frat-trash?

to get white girls

E20
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Because Lee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bonner

Spur-Addict
06-04-2008, 02:03 PM

What's on your mind? Why the rush to the ghetto? In fact, I can make a case for surfers from So-Cal saying "Brah" alot. Or, I can make a case for people from Hawaii saying "Brah" alot. That just shows where you mind is. GREAT!!! :nope

Spur-Addict
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM

The only thing that Bonner is better at as opposed to Lee is shooting. It's not really a debate.

balli
06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Not even close. In fact, I can make a case for surfers from So-Cal saying "Brah" alot. Or, I can make a case for people from Hawaii saying "Brah" alot. That just shows where you mind is. GREAT!!! :nope

In any event, you actually typing it is lame as fuck. No matter where it comes from.

Spur-Addict
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
In any event, you actually typing it is lame as fuck. No matter where it comes from.

I'll type what I want, If you are going to critique my speech, then you should critique shorthand. But, as I said, it just shows where some people have their head at.

E20
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBR AHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAH BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBR AH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH
BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH BRAH
BRAH
BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAH
BRAHBRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAH
BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBR AHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAH BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBR AHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAH BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBR AH
BRAHBRAHBRAHBRAHBRAH
BRAHBRAH

dP dP
88 88
88d888b. 88d888b. .d8888b. 88d888b.
88' `88 88' `88 88' `88 88' `88
88. .88 88 88. .88 88 88
88Y8888' dP `88888P8 dP dP

xtremesteven33
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
id rather take Malik back....

Mister Sinister
06-04-2008, 03:27 PM
E20 owes me a new soda.

T Park
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Good rebounder, good around the basket scorer.

Can block a shot or two.

Runs the break well.....

Wtf :wtf

ShoogarBear
06-04-2008, 09:16 PM
dP dP
88 88
88d888b. 88d888b. .d8888b. 88d888b.
88' `88 88' `88 88' `88 88' `88
88. .88 88 88. .88 88 88
88Y8888' dP `88888P8 dP dP

You should make a brahvatar.

ShoogarBear
06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Good rebounder, good around the basket scorer.

Can block a shot or two.

Runs the break well.....

Wtf :wtf

David Lee a shotblocker? With 72 in 206 games?

But yeah, he'd help the Spurs in Categories of youth and rebounding, and you have to think that with his mobility would become a capable defender in the Spurs' system, and save us from many of those Finley-at-the-4-type minutes.

One possible concern is that offensive rebounding is his major strength and the Spurs system might keep him from crashing those boards as much as he would like.

E20
06-04-2008, 09:38 PM
You should make a brahvatar.

I get it now. Shoogar is supposed to be pronounced like the word Sugar. All this time (4 years) I was pronouncing it SHOO-GAR

ShoogarBear
06-04-2008, 09:41 PM
They're not booing . . .

pauls931
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Damn, I was worried he was f'ing around with Van Halen.

Bob Lanier
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Boy, he really undershot it with the "2"!

T Park
06-05-2008, 01:58 AM

But yeah, he'd help the Spurs in Categories of youth and rebounding, and you have to think that with his mobility would become a capable defender in the Spurs' system, and save us from many of those Finley-at-the-4-type minutes.

One possible concern is that offensive rebounding is his major strength and the Spurs system might keep him from crashing those boards as much as he would like.

Lets give Lee a bit of a pass.

Thomas the coach, team that didn't give a shit.

I think he could block some shots from the weak side and help out.

Call me crazy. Got good rebounding ability and would do nothing but help.

TDMVPDPOY
06-05-2008, 02:48 AM
how about david lee + jared jeffries for any of our scrubs?

makes sense imo...