PDA

View Full Version : Time to again raid the Knicks cupboard?

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 05:06 PM
With potential player changes coming in New York, could there again be anyone on the Knicks roster that the Spurs would be interested in? Could it be time to once again raid their roster - even though Isiah Thomas has left the building?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52582/20080518/dantoni_big_on_crawford_robinson_less_on_lee/

D'Antoni Big On Crawford, Robinson, Less On Lee
May 18, 2008 - 12:53 pm
New York Daily News -
Mike D'Antoni likes players who can score, which could mean David Lee and Renaldo Balkman will be less effective this coming season.

"Mike doesn't like guys like Lee who can't shoot," a D'Antoni confidant said. "He saw him as a non-scoring power forward when he came out of Florida. But that's why a guy like Jamal Crawford is going to be around. He will thrive in Mike's system. And he likes Nate a lot, too. Mike likes guys who can make plays from anywhere on the court."

Garden favorites or not, more than a few Knicks' days are probably numbered. When the Suns had a chance to draft David Lee in 2005, Mike D'Antoni opposed it, citing Lee's lack of offensive skills.

Lee hasn't developed much of a game since, and hustle and rebounding only go so far for the Knicks' new coach. In Phoenix, he wanted his big men to be scoring threats from all over the court, and that probably won't change. So that doesn't bode well for Renaldo Balkman or Randolph Morris, either.

Despite his status with fans, Lee has limited range and trouble getting his shot off in traffic. When it comes to another member of the 2005 draft, D'Antoni is much higher on Nate Robinson, whom the Suns drafted and immediately packaged with Quentin Richardson for Kurt Thomas.

"Mike doesn't like guys like Lee who can't shoot," a D'Antoni confidant said. "He saw him as a non-scoring power forward when he came out of Florida. But that's why a guy like Jamal Crawford is going to be around. He will thrive in Mike's system. And he likes Nate a lot, too. Mike likes guys who can make plays from anywhere on the court."

Even Zach Randolph will have to diversify his game. In this case, "diversify" doesn't mean shooting more, as "Zebo" probably thinks. He'll have to do more than just catch, hold, dribble, hold, hold some more, and then shoot. Eddy Curry? Who knows what he'll have to do to play in D'Antoni's system - other than the obvious fact that he will have to get into the best shape of his life. Jerome James is a candidate for a buyout or to be packaged in a deal in which the Knicks trade Lee and require the other team to take James, too. On second thought, no one can be that desperate.

manufor3
05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
heck ya go after lee

PlayoffEx-static
05-18-2008, 05:19 PM
:lmao Do you think D'Antoni will do ANYTHING to help us re-tool our roster?

Balkman is just another jumping jack bust, but if Chip could teach Lee to shoot even as well as Oberto, you could play him 35 minutes, and he would grab close to 11 boards.

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 05:21 PM
:lmao Do you think D'Antoni will do ANYTHING to help us re-tool our roster?

Balkman is just another jumping jack bust, but if Chip could teach Lee to shoot even as well as Oberto, you could play him 35 minutes, and he would grab close to 11 boards.

True dat! The kid can indeed board.

jag
05-18-2008, 05:24 PM
True dat! The kid can indeed board.

Never seen him play, what's his D like?

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Never seen him play, what's his D like?

Good question. I don't know what type of defender he is.

Bruno
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
No to both.

Lee can rebound and hustle but that's all. He has no offensive skills and is an horrible defender.

Balkman is an horrible offensive player. Playing him means playing 4 vs 5 on the offensive end.

Thomas drafting ability is way overrated.

still.focused
05-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Id take David Lee without a shooting coach
Im still mad the Spurs drafted Mahinmi instead of Lee

J.T.
05-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Do you think D'Antoni will do ANYTHING to help us re-tool our roster?

For starters, D'Antoni won't have as much pull in any potential deals as Donnie Walsh would. Second, aside from lingering bitterness from being sent home by the Spurs so many times, I don't see why D'Antoni wouldn't make any deals if it could help his team. The Knicks will be a better team under him than they were with Isaiah, but it's proven that his system can't win in the playoffs and I don't see NY going from being roomies with Miami in the sewer of the Eastern Conference to being a contender in one season. That kind of thing doesn't happen unless you have a FO that is willing to spend tons of cash to sign Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, or something like that.

David Lee on the Spurs wouldn't be all bad, but I'd rather they try to get SJax back instead.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 05:56 PM
i miss malik rose.

- Mars

Avitus1
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
i miss malik rose.

- Mars

You and me both.

urunobili
05-18-2008, 06:17 PM
i'd go for Lee instead of Bonner

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 06:43 PM
i miss malik rose.

- Mars

The Malik Rose of circa 2000? Sure. The bench scrub pulling down 8 million a year right now? Hell no.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 06:45 PM
The Malik Rose of circa 2000? Sure. The bench scrub pulling down 8 million a year right now? Hell no.

if we could sign him to maybe 2-3 million, it'd be worth it. did you really think he was gonna be productive in NY? Who has?

- Mars

SpursFanInAustin
05-18-2008, 06:47 PM
if we could sign him to maybe 2-3 million, it'd be worth it. did you really think he was gonna be productive in NY? Who has?

- Mars

I'd take Malik for the vet minimum....Nothing more.

curtismedellin
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Eddie Curry? Zach Randolph? Hmmmmmmm...

TDMVPDPOY
05-18-2008, 09:07 PM
i rather trade for yi or bogut, depending who fits in there future, im willing to give up splitters rights and fillers

ballhog
05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
All them boyz in NY just have fat contracts and thin skills.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 09:37 PM

- Mars

Lots of folks with short/selective memories. Malik wasn't very productive after signing his current contract here before he left either...

PlayoffEx-static
05-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Eddie Curry? Zach Randolph? Hmmmmmmm...

Eddie is a LAZY ass. He once had ZERO rebounds in a game against us in 20+ minutes. Zach is a bad boy. Portland couldn't WAIT to get rid of his ass once they got their pick last year. He was basically the last of the Jail Blazers.

Besides, anyone taking post touches from Tim, especially overpaid stiffs like these, is a waste of time.

NewJerSpur
05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
David Lee WOULD have a better mid-range jumper but he has no confidence in his shot...part of this lack of confidence comes from not being involved too much in the Knicks normal flow of offense, thus when he has a wide open shot he's reluctant to take it and often gets alligator arms when he should be following through. Besides that he has a decent game in the paint, is VERY athletic, has a real motor when it comes to rebounding (non-stop if I may add), has great hands, and will chase down almost anything. He isn't the greatest defender the league has to offer, but he is a team-first kind of player.