PDA

View Full Version : Could the Spurs sign Elden Campbell?

Useruser666
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Could Spurs sign Elden Campbell?

Elden Campbell
is expected to be waived by Utah any day now, but Rod Thorn isn't likely to claim him, otherwise the Nets would be liable to pick up Campbell's $4.4 million salary. And if Campbell clears waivers, he becomes a free agent and is likely to return to Detroit.

"We might look at him," Thorn said. "It's something we have to look at, yeah."

Another name that has been discussed recently is Amal McCaskill, but the Nets believe he is no better than Jabari Smith.

SpursWoman
01-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Don't have the $$ ...

Useruser666
01-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Sign and trade?

MannyIsGod
01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Why? Horry is better than campbell.

Useruser666
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Just a thought.

Solid D
01-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Maybe 2-3 years ago...maybe. Sean Marks at least brings energy, good spring in his legs and a bit of outside touch, and he's cheap and on the payroll. Eldon has experience and knows how to play, but I'm not sure Campbell has any energy left. Malone is probably the only Big the Spurs will sign, unless there is a trade.

Jimcs50
01-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Will you people stop fucking with the best team in the NBA!

Status Quo...have you people heard of this?

Drachen
01-24-2005, 02:53 PM
why would we bring back amal Mckaskill?

exstatic
01-24-2005, 03:35 PM
Elden Campbell is a sleepwalker. He has talent, and isn't too old yet, but damn, he just zones out, a LOT. I don't think he can give SA what it needs from a bench big in limited minutes.

exstatic
01-24-2005, 03:35 PM
why would we bring back amal Mckaskill?

The quote is from a NJ perspective, as is the article clip.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2005, 06:45 PM
The only argument I can possibly see for Elden Campbell is that he did a credible job beating up on Shaq during last year's finals and seems pretty well suited to that kind of a role. But, you only need that guy if you reach the Finals and Miami does the same, and beyond that "skill," Campbell seems to bring little to NBA action anymore.

I'd steer clear.

Kori Ellis
01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought Detroit was going to pick Elden Campbell right back up.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2005, 07:08 PM
That's what I read, Kori. But it makes sense to me that other teams would at least think about making a play for him.

I just don't think he's a good fit in SA.

ALVAREZ6
01-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Why would we WANT or NEED campbell?

sickdsm
01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Didn't the same situation almostt happen with DeClerq or one of those big white guys last year but he got picked up by someone else.

If he is so valuable to holding Shaq down, Larry Brown of all people wouldn't have made the trade, risking that they don't get him back.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Didn't the same situation almostt happen with DeClerq or one of those big white guys last year but he got picked up by someone else.

If he is so valuable to holding Shaq down, Larry Brown of all people wouldn't have made the trade, risking that they don't get him back.

Unless, of course, they've taken a page (albeit, without necessarily breaking the rules) out of the Glen Taylor/Kevin McHale handbook.

wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

timvp
01-24-2005, 07:17 PM

It was Michael Doleac. The Knicks traded him with a plan to re-sign him after he got released, but instead the Nuggets scooped him up.

T Park
01-24-2005, 07:18 PM

Michael Doleac I think it was last year. New York Knicks traded him, the team cut him, then Denver signed him.

sickdsm
01-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Personally if i was making $100k a year, my boss fired me, then offered to give me my old job back with a new contract of $25k a year, i'd tell him to stick it up his ass.

That's a good idea DownTown. If they get caught it would only send the franchise back about 5-10 years, at least thats what I hear.

FromWayDowntown
01-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Personally if i was making $100k a year, my boss fired me, then offered to give me my old job back with a new contract of $25k a year, i'd tell him to stick it up his ass.

That's a good idea DownTown. If they get caught it would only send the franchise back about 5-10 years, at least thats what I hear.

I would generally agree with you, sick, but the NBA is not the real working world, as we are so often reminded.

As for the idea of an under-the-table agreement, rumor has it that you could escape the punishment for a year or so, but after that, you'd be back to low seeds and early eliminations at best.