PDA

View Full Version : League should get it over with and schedule Boston vs. LA

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Let's see, Boston's gotten away now with Garnett pushing a ref and P.J. Brown bulldogging Ilgauskas today (should have been a flagrant, but Cleveland only got 2 FTs out of it).

LA shot 39 FTs a game in the semis.

Between shoving a ref and going WWE on Ilgauskas today, it's looking like Boston might get away with killing someone if that's what it takes for them to make it through to the Finals.

It's so transparent it's pathetic.

balli
05-18-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2508774#post2508774

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm still shocked that Garnett got no punishment whatsoever for pushing aside the ref.

Avitus1
05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm still shocked that Garnett got no punishment whatsoever for pushing aside the ref.

You and me both.

TwoHandJam
05-18-2008, 07:09 PM
NBA officiating is the worst of all the professional sports. It's not even close.

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Boston aint makin' past the Pistons - BOOK IT!

easjer
05-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Let's see, Boston's gotten away now with Garnett pushing a ref and P.J. Brown bulldogging Ilgauskas today (should have been a flagrant, but Cleveland only got 2 FTs out of it).

Between shoving a ref and going WWE on Ilgauskas today, it's looking like Boston might get away with killing someone if that's what it takes for them to make it through to the Finals.

You sure you want the Spurs to win this game 7? If you think we have had bad officiating this series, it's not going to be anything compared to the Conf. Finals vs. LA, with a potential BOS/LA rematch on the line.

Though at the risk of sounding like I wear a tinfoil hat, I think it's really good for the Spurs that LA won their series - otherwise, I'd be very concerned about the officiating in game 7.

Here is to hoping the Spurs play their next game very well. And any after that as close to flawless as they can get.

gmanrulz
05-18-2008, 08:30 PM
even the refs cant get boston past detroit they're sorry

Allanon
05-18-2008, 08:45 PM
No matter what team you root for, after a loss you'll see complaints about refs. After a win, nobody talks about the refs.

The NBA certainly wasn't looking to get LeBron out of the Finals, LeBron vs Kobe would have been a serious money-maker. As much KG love as there is, LeBron makes the NBA more money than KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen combined.

And Phoenix/Mavs would still be in the Playoffs if it were all about ratings.

Kobe vs LeBron would have been hyped into a national holiday.

duncan228
05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
The NBA certainly wasn't looking to get LeBron out of the Finals, LeBron vs Kobe would have been a serious money-maker. As much KG love as there is, LeBron makes the NBA more money than KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen combined.

Kobe vs LeBron would have been hyped into a national holiday.

I agree, but LeBron doesn't have the feel good turn around story that Boston has. And the glory days of the LA/Boston history will make some great halftime shows. Just think of how much beer can be sold with the Magic/Bird footage alone. :)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Aside from those two calls mentioned. I thought Cavs had a good chance to displease the league up to the very last minute.
Lebron was going to single-handedly eliminate the Celtics, refs or no refs.

You could argue he' was at times going 1 on 8 this year. :lol

Lebron was blackballed from favoritism after last year's finals.
I'm surprised they didn't want a Lebron's Cavs vs. Kobe's Lakers this series.

I believe Lebron could have beaten him.

JamStone
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM
It's so pathetic how the Lakers and the Celtics have won the last four NBA championships.

It's so transparent.

easjer
05-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Kobe v. LeBron is a good story, but LA/BOS is better. Last year proved that LeBron couldn't deliver the fans/ratings. I suppose it could be argued that it was the Spurs keeping people from tuning in and they'd love to give LA a chance with CLE, but I don't believe it.

Besides, as large as my tin foil hat is, I don't believe the league fixes things irrevocably. I believe they may have preferences and go so far as to allow preferences to inform their officiating, but I think good teams rise above the officiating. If shots are falling in, it's hard to get rid of a good team. And the likliehood is that the Pistons would beat the Cavs - DET/BOS is a better series and easier to manipulate, if they want to. More evenly matched, anyway.

But do I doubt that the league wants BOS/LA? Not for a city minute. Do I think they are actively rigging games? No, not really. Do I think the officials allow outside factors to influence games? Yeah, some do. Do I think the league takes advantage of that and/or lets preferences be known? Yeah, I do. Do I think it matters to a team? Not if they play well.

I don't think the NBA has become the WWE.

DazedAndConfused
05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
I love these threads. Pure comedy.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
You sure you want the Spurs to win this game 7? If you think we have had bad officiating this series, it's not going to be anything compared to the Conf. Finals vs. LA, with a potential BOS/LA rematch on the line.

Though at the risk of sounding like I wear a tinfoil hat, I think it's really good for the Spurs that LA won their series - otherwise, I'd be very concerned about the officiating in game 7.

Here is to hoping the Spurs play their next game very well. And any after that as close to flawless as they can get.

Actually I suspect we're going to get hosed pretty hard tonight. Lakers would probably sweep (or take it 4-1) against New Orleans. Against SA? With our propensity for locking teams down defensively and the Big 3?

I don't think the league wants San Antonio anywhere near the Lakers and a shot at the NBA Finals.

Allanon
05-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Kobe v. LeBron is a good story, but LA/BOS is better. Last year proved that LeBron couldn't deliver the fans/ratings. I suppose it could be argued that it was the Spurs keeping people from tuning in and they'd love to give LA a chance with CLE, but I don't believe it.

Besides, as large as my tin foil hat is, I don't believe the league fixes things irrevocably. I believe they may have preferences and go so far as to allow preferences to inform their officiating, but I think good teams rise above the officiating. If shots are falling in, it's hard to get rid of a good team. And the likliehood is that the Pistons would beat the Cavs - DET/BOS is a better series and easier to manipulate, if they want to. More evenly matched, anyway.

But do I doubt that the league wants BOS/LA? Not for a city minute. Do I think they are actively rigging games? No, not really. Do I think the officials allow outside factors to influence games? Yeah, some do. Do I think the league takes advantage of that and/or lets preferences be known? Yeah, I do. Do I think it matters to a team? Not if they play well.

I don't think the NBA has become the WWE.

Good post from you and Duncan228.

Although it's not rigged, there is preference. Nobody except Spur, Cav and Piston fans want that DET/CLE vs SAS in the finals. People don't want to watch it and the refs don't want to ref it.

If it's close enough for the refs to decide, the Lakers/Boston will win. I mean c'mon, would you rather call a game changing foul on Kobe/KG or Bruce Bowen?

Bottom line is to win convincingly, none of this last minute "let's get our shit together". If you want the championship badly enough, don't put it in the hands of the refs and cry about it later.

T Park
05-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Actually I suspect we're going to get hosed pretty hard tonight. Lakers would probably sweep (or take it 4-1) against New Orleans. Against SA? With our propensity for locking teams down defensively and the Big 3?

I don't think the league wants San Antonio anywhere near the Lakers and a shot at the NBA Finals.

Probably right.

Although if Javie shows up, thats a great sign.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Good post from you and Duncan228.

Although it's not rigged, there is preference. Nobody except Spur, Cav and Piston fans want that DET/CLE vs SAS in the finals. People don't want to watch it and the refs don't want to ref it.

If it's close enough for the refs to decide, the Lakers/Boston will win. I mean c'mon, would you rather call a game changing foul on Kobe/KG or Bruce Bowen?

Bottom line is to win convincingly, none of this last minute "let's get our shit together".

No one outside of LA, Boston, or NBA headquarters gives a shit about LA-Boston either. The ratings look better if teams from those areas are involved because a lot of people live there, not because the people of the midwest give a damn about Boston or Los Angeles.

If you want the championship badly enough, don't put it in the hands of the refs and cry about it later.

Well, at least you're honest enough to admit that your team gets the calls. But you know what? If it was in Oklahoma City or Seattle or Memphis, it wouldn't. And that's the problem.

1Parker1
05-18-2008, 10:39 PM

:lol You're contradicting yourself, AHF. If it's true that SA has the propensity for locking teams down defensively and the best "Big 3" in the league, than they are good enough to power through some bad road calls and win the game. Great teams always have to fight through bad calls.

LakerLanny
05-18-2008, 11:13 PM

That was completely ridiculous.

Let's see, Kobe gets suspended twice for plays in games that didn't even draw a technical or flagrant foul.

Garnett pushes a ref and Celtics leave the bench and no suspension.

As if having Salvatore and Ken Mauer in Boston for Game 7 was an accident also, no doubt the league is pushing HARD to get the Celtics back to the Finals. Unfortunately, they are playing so poorly that in my opinion they have very little chance of getting by Detroit.

Allanon
05-18-2008, 11:15 PM
No one outside of LA, Boston, or NBA headquarters gives a shit about LA-Boston either. The ratings look better if teams from those areas are involved because a lot of people live there, not because the people of the midwest give a damn about Boston or Los Angeles.

This is not true. The team with the most hits on the NBA websites was the Lakers in 2008. The Lakers have a world-wide audience (even more than the Rockets). LA residents are probably one of the most migratory in the world, they're all over the place. That's why you see those hated gold Laker jerseys in so many other stadiums.

The Celtics represent the Atlantic seaboard rabid fans since the Knicks, Bulls and Heat suck so bad these days. Then you have the mix of fans from other teams...KG from the TWolves, Ray Allen from Milwaukee & Seattle. Did you see the huge number of green jerseys in the Atlanta Hawks arena?

The Spurs are localized fans because the big 3 only played for the Spurs and no others.

The same with the Pistons for Rip and Prince who've only played for the Pistons. Sheed is from Portland but that's a distant memory and Billups only got fans when he started playing for the Pistons.

You can pair up Spurs with Celtics for good ratings or Lakers vs Cavs/Pistons as well but nobody would tune in for Spurs vs Cavs/Pistons.

Well, at least you're honest enough to admit that your team gets the calls. But you know what? If it was in Oklahoma City or Seattle or Memphis, it wouldn't. And that's the problem.

That unfortunately is true. If you're not a star (and it's hard in boonesville), you ain't getting any iffy calls to go your way. The NBA is a star-driven league and I wouldn't have it any other way...Superstars should get the benefit of iffy calls.

spurscenter
05-18-2008, 11:22 PM
The days of small teams taking the big screen are over, its back tothe big markets, high pop. cities to renovate the NBA from its miseery scandal season and lower attendance and ratings.

1Parker1
05-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Celtics better figure out a way to win on the road. I can see the Pistons stealing Game 1 or 2 from them, and they're going to have to figure out a way to win in Detroit.

SpursDynasty
05-18-2008, 11:25 PM

Garnett also got away with elbowing someone.

Doug Collins
05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
The same with the Pistons for Rip and Prince who've only played for the Pistons. Sheed is from Portland but that's a distant memory and Billups only got fans when he started playing for the Pistons.

Rip played in Washington prior to Detroit.

Allanon
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Rip played in Washington prior to Detroit.

Thanks Coach, I forgot about that one.

mavs>spurs2
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Garnett also got away with elbowing someone.

You also got away with some pretty ridiculous and idiotic posts. Oh wait, no you didn't you got pinked :lol

SpursDynasty
05-18-2008, 11:39 PM
If the Spurs don't make the WCF's I'd like to see the Lakers win the championship. That way the Lakers and Spurs will be the only West teams this decades to win championships. No fluke teams like the Hornets.

fyatuk
05-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Meh. The scheduling is what pisses me off the most. Both the Lakers and Celtics were scheduled to play games 6 & 7 in between the Spurs 6 & 7. That just shouldn't happen. Oh well though. You take what you can get and move on.

Officiating is always crap, Stern has said his dream matchup would be Lakers v Lakers, so who cares about all this perceived bias? Quit watching or quit bitching.

SpursDynasty
05-18-2008, 11:53 PM
The Lakers and Celtics are both jump shooting teams.

I'm a bit sick of these comparisons to the 80's Lakers and Celtics. These guys don't come near the greatness of those groups. Magic, Kareem, and Bird > Kobe and Garnett.

timvp
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Utah's gameplan is to foul pretty much on every play. It's not surprising the Lakers lived at the line -- especially when factoring the love Kobe generally gets from the refs. I didn't think that was a flagrant on Z. I don't know why Van Gundy thought everything was a flagrant during the game. He also thought some foul on KG was flagrant when Szczerbiak almost blocked KG.

The NBA really can't afford to even think about asking a ref to shade games to try to make it Lakers vs. Celtics -- especially after the Donaghy scandal. It'd be the end of the NBA if anything even remotely close came to light. While I'm sure that's David Stern's wet dream (well other than Lakers vs. Lakers in the finals :rolleyes), I don't have much worry that other teams will be at a disadvantage in trying to beat those two teams.

DazedAndConfused
05-19-2008, 12:26 AM
It seems to me ESPN is way more obsessed with the Celtics than the Lakers. I swear I saw highlights for today's game about 50 times while in the gym today.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Nobody except Spur, Cav and Piston fans want that DET/CLE vs SAS in the finals.

screw that, i do. I dont want the Fakers to get to the Finals. Firstly, they get Pau for nothing, which was obvious collusion.

Secondly, they get every whistle they want pretty much and noone can touch Kobe or Pau without getting called, and yet Pau can push in the back all day and Kobe can throw his elbows around.

Id much rather see 2 teams in the finals that play fundamental basketball, play some D and play great team ball. Much better than watching a team who is in the finals coz of some deal between Stern and Jackson.

Screw Kobe and Screw Pau.......... :flag::lobt:

DazedAndConfused
05-19-2008, 01:02 AM
screw that, i do. I dont want the Fakers to get to the Finals. Firstly, they get Pau for nothing, which was obvious collusion.

Secondly, they get every whistle they want pretty much and noone can touch Kobe or Pau without getting called, and yet Pau can push in the back all day and Kobe can throw his elbows around.

Id much rather see 2 teams in the finals that play fundamental basketball, play some D and play great team ball. Much better than watching a team who is in the finals coz of some deal between Stern and Jackson.

Screw Kobe and Screw Pau.......... :flag::lobt:

Sour grapes..........:lol:lol:lol:lol

spurscenter
05-19-2008, 01:34 AM

the fix is on, for lakers again, their FT attempts are off the charts

J.T.
05-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Utah's gameplan is to foul pretty much on every play. It's not surprising the Lakers lived at the line -- especially when factoring the love Kobe generally gets from the refs.

Beat me to it.

The bottom line is that if the NBA was fixing games, the Cavs would have won the Finals last year.

The Celtics eliminated the Hawks and Cavs. Not all that surprising if you ask me.

The Lakers swept Denver, who hasn't gotten out of the first round since Carmelo came to town, and won two straight to eliminate Utah after the series was notched at 2-2.

If the NBA is conspiring to get Boston and Los Angeles to the Finals, the evidence doesn't support it. If New Orleans advances, the Lakers may as well pack their bags for Boston or Detroit since the matchups favor them against the Hornets.

brettn
05-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Stupid thread.

Home teams almost always get calls, especially in the playoffs. I won't be suprised to see the Lakers and Celtics in the finals and not because of some conspiracy. They've earned home court. Home teams have traditionally gotten questionable calls to fall their way in the playoffs. That's one of the perks of homecourt!

That being said, people who believe in some deep David Stern/NBA conspiracy to schedule a BOS/LA finals would probably be better off jumping off a roof. Yall remind me of people on pokerstars who swear the site is rigged against them. Just silly.

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Sour grapes..........:lol:lol:lol:lol

not at all. It's a blessing coz it forces the Nuggets to make changes. Would have been nice to have been beaten by a team with a classy leader though.

Kori Ellis
05-19-2008, 03:59 AM
Spurs win by 12 tonight and put the conspiracy theories (or conspiracy efforts ;) ) out of their misery.

icem
05-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Stupid thread.

Home teams almost always get calls, especially in the playoffs. I won't be suprised to see the Lakers and Celtics in the finals and not because of some conspiracy. They've earned home court. Home teams have traditionally gotten questionable calls to fall their way in the playoffs. That's one of the perks of homecourt!

That being said, people who believe in some deep David Stern/NBA conspiracy to schedule a BOS/LA finals would probably be better off jumping off a roof. Yall remind me of people on pokerstars who swear the site is rigged against them. Just silly.

great post.

there is no conspiracy people, especially if you are trying to use the BOS/CLE series as evidence. look how lopsided the officiated was in favor of cleveland in game 6 (fouls 25-16, 12 more FTAs), then the game today in boston was called evenly throughout.

we are tied with the hornets right now and it has nothing to do with refs, we just can't seem to be able to impose our will on them on the road, nor them on us. every game has been a damn blowout for Christs sake.

the lakers beat utah, and it had nothing to do with the refs, they just couldn't stop the lakers from getting any shot they wanted.

there is no one twisting their mustaches thinking of ways to get LA and BOS into the finals. sure, the league may WANT that, since traditionally spurs games get poor ratings, but if there was really a conspiracy we would not have been in the finals 4 times in the last 9 years, despite the poor ratings we draw.

to be honest, as a basketball fan, if we do not make it i would not mind seeing a LA vs BOS final, rather than NO vs DET. its just a classic NBA matchup and you have alot of guys going for their 1st ring. (kobe 1st time w/out shaq, big 3). not only that but it would kind of make me sick to see chris paul in the finals ALREADY at this stage in his career.

spurscenter
05-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Spurs win by 12 tonight and put the conspiracy theories (or conspiracy efforts ;) ) out of their misery.

i hope so kori

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
This is not true. The team with the most hits on the NBA websites was the Lakers in 2008. The Lakers have a world-wide audience (even more than the Rockets). LA residents are probably one of the most migratory in the world, they're all over the place. That's why you see those hated gold Laker jerseys in so many other stadiums.

I don't doubt there's some LA fans, but by and large you're talking about bandwagon fans.

They're the same ones who have Jordan 23 jerseys in their closets, Laker jerseys, Patriot jerseys, and probably have some NY Giants stuff hanging in there now as well.

That unfortunately is true. If you're not a star (and it's hard in boonesville), you ain't getting any iffy calls to go your way. The NBA is a star-driven league and I wouldn't have it any other way...Superstars should get the benefit of iffy calls.

No they shouldn't. And you wonder why the NBA has the worst ratings in all of sports? It isn't because of the Spurs or Spurs vs. Cavs last year.

It's because it is the one league where the officials have an undue influence in the games. It's because of superstar treatment to the detriment of the rules of the game.

When there's already a perception the league wants Lakers vs. Celtics and you see Garnett shoving a ref with no suspension, or LA shooting 40 FTs a game, who the hell wants to watch that shit?

Let the players decide it on the court.

Red Hawk #21
05-19-2008, 12:25 PM

:lmao:rollin

NoMoneyDown
05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
The refs are under pressure from the fans to make calls favoring the home team in close games. Look at Atlanta/Boston

The only bona-fide call/non-call I've seen thus far is Kevin Garnett's pushing the ref and getting nothing for it. Not saying that if he sat Atlanta would have won the series, but VERY questionable non-call to me.

mytespurs
05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Coincidently, Mike Wilbon & company were discussing Lakers-Utah series on ESPN the other day. Mike felt that the Utah could've won Game 5. He says there appears to be fouls that should've been but were not called. I didn't watch the game but from what I gather, he thought they were blatant.

But I guess that could be said in all the home & home series thus far couldn't it?

MoSpur
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Boston aint makin' past the Pistons - BOOK IT!

I agree