PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: On Schedule, Duncan Gets Another Redo

duncan228
05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051908.1D.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.37bbd6b.html

Buck Harvey: On schedule, Duncan gets another redo

NEW ORLEANS — If they ever build a statue of Tim Duncan outside of the AT&T Center, they should take their time.

They should draw up some concepts, sculpt a few ideas and then step back to look for cracks. There should be a few.

Then they should build more statues, turning the worst into rubble as they go along, until they get it right.

Duncan should be honored the way he played. The best player of the best franchise of this era has required some trial and error to become who he is, and sometimes the error part has been startling for such a Hall of Fame player. He hasn't always figured out everything the first time, and that's where tonight comes in.

After playing three games in New Orleans that rank among his worst, after playing at times like a statue, he comes back with reason to think he's ready.

It's his schedule, after all.

His schedule didn't concur with the Olympics, with unfamiliar refs, rules and teammates. And nothing was the same in college, either. His Wake Forest never made a Final Four.

That's no disgrace. Chris Paul's Wake never made one, either. But Duncan was in school for four years, not two as Paul was, and in Duncan's last three years he was college basketball's best player.

Every March, however, he ran into an NCAA format with short games and one-and-done madness. Duncan isn't built for an 11 a.m. tip in Provo, especially given only five fouls to burn. That's a reason the same Duncan who has lost one of the first two playoffs games of every NBA championship run went back to class early.

Duncan proved to be a quick study in the pros. Whereas it took Hakeem Olajuwon about half of his career to learn how to pass out of double teams, for example, Duncan got it down by his second season.

He would become an MVP quickly enough, too. But when met with tough playoff tests, such as the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Duncan needed time. He needed the arrival of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, too.

The 2005 Finals against the Pistons offers the best analogy. Against a sturdy Detroit defense, with a Wallace for every angle, Duncan suffered.

Duncan missed 6 of 7 free throws and a tip at the end of regulation in Game 5 in Detroit. After failing to score in overtime, after the Spurs still won, Duncan hugged Robert Horry harder than anyone; Horry had saved him.

Then Duncan barely touched the ball in the fourth quarter of a Game 6 loss in San Antonio, and the media theme then was about the odd glitch inside of this superstar.

“Spurs' big star now more like Tiny Tim,” a headline from a Chicago newspaper read then before that Game 7. The story went on to say, “It has been unsettling, if not spooky, to see an immovable rock of sport reduced to a soft, unassertive disappearing act.”

Duncan can get this way, and he was in New Orleans in the first three games. He was 12 of 38. He wasn't invisible, getting 23 rebounds in one game, and there were excuses, with both a virus and Joey Crawford inside of his head. But the superstar of the previous decade seemingly always overcame such details.

Didn't Michael Jordan overcome mere human sickness? Did he ever let a referee get to him? The statue of Jordan outside of the United Center was probably done in one try, too.

But Duncan, as gifted as he is, never had anything close to Jordan's athletic ability. Duncan couldn't leap past obstacles. He needed all the data. He needed to see what was happening and why, and that came together in Game 7 against Detroit.

A soft, unassertive disappearing act became the Finals MVP.

That's Duncan, and this plays into what Gregg Popovich has said this series. The better team wins in a seven-game series.

Over two weeks, there is no Final Four fluke. There is time to find the creases in the defense, to move over to defend David West, to even overcome three routs in New Orleans.

As for the statue.

They should build one no matter what happens tonight.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 11:14 PM
one of the best articles written about Duncan I've ever read. a fine piece of journalism.

- Mars

Budkin
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Timmy is the shit... and we're going to see why tonight!

Sigz
05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
That inspired me for game 7... holy shit..

spursfan09
05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
How come I was mad while reading this?

1Parker1
05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
:tu Nice article. Man, it's getting me fired up for tonight. I don't know if I can wait till 9 pm tonight!!

completely deck
05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
How come I was mad while reading this?

The author used a negative tone to shine a positive message.

Maybe his way to pump up for game 7

The big 3 have to be big this game!

tmtcsc
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Watch Manu tonight.

TampaDude
05-18-2008, 11:35 PM
TD is gonna DOMINATE tonight!!! The Spurs ARE going to the WCF!!!

Mister Sinister
05-18-2008, 11:35 PM

Brutalis
05-18-2008, 11:36 PM
As I said before, TD is going to bring it tonight. I bet we see him working like crazy tonight reminding us of his youth.

We all know how bad Manu wants to win. He lives, eats, shits and breathes this stuff, so I expect a big game from him as well.

If that happens, and TP can attack, our role players just hit shots.. 10+ point win.

duncan228
05-18-2008, 11:38 PM
As for the statue.

Duncan doesn't strike me as the statue type. :lol

The press before game 7 in '05 read "Disappearing Duncan."
The next morning it read "Duncan Dazzling."

This is his moment. He's gotten here the same way he plays. Methodical. I have no doubt that he will dazzle again. He'll be brilliant, and with his team around him he will get to the Conference Finals again. His repeat is waiting. He knows it's not going to be handed to him. He'll take it.

timvp
05-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Duncan has to outplay West to give the Spurs a chance.

jag
05-19-2008, 01:06 AM
That's Duncan, and this plays into what Gregg Popovich has said this series. The better team wins in a seven-game series.

I guess this is one thing that gives you closure regardless, the better team will take this one at the end of tomorrow night.
You can't feel slighted, you can't feel cheated...this series has just been a hard fought battle against a very good young team.

Officiating has sucked but it's sucked both ways...no .4's no Manu fouls....the Spurs have no excuses.

:flag:

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Duncan has to outplay West to give the Spurs a chance. Ain't happening. By now you should have already noticed Duncan's decline.

SPURS50
05-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Duncan won't disappoint.

Avitus1
05-19-2008, 01:49 AM
#21 nuff said.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-19-2008, 01:57 AM

I hope he continues his game from game 6. He was really sharp.

polandprzem
05-19-2008, 03:02 AM
TD's statue?

Take a look at my avatar

------------------------

GO FOR THE KILL !!!!!

SenorSpur
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
It's encouraging fact that Tim has yet to really make his presence felt on the road. Expect him to do so tonight!

Duncanoypi
05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
DUNCAN will rise in New Orleans!

The Big Fundamental in Big Easy!

dbreiden83080
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Timmy brings his A game tonight and we are gonna win. He is great in these types of games, i know he is coming strong tonight.

TDfan2007
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Tim is a monster in elimination games. I can't wait for tonight.

duncan228
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Tim is a monster in elimination games. I can't wait for tonight.

:)

hater
05-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Duncan will man up and guard David West. Horry is not done setting some picks.

Spurs Brazil
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
My signature

Cry Havoc
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
As for the statue.

What say you, d228?

A statue of Duncan blocking a shot, or hugging the ball? Both would look extremely cool.

duncan228
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
What say you, d228?

A statue of Duncan blocking a shot, or hugging the ball? Both would look extremely cool.

I like both, and I like the finger pointing Championship pose. :)

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/AAGR024.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/ballhug.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/4-22birdseye.jpg

101A
05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

The fact that that is not an absolute GIVEN means this has been a tough place to play.

timvp
05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
uN9FQ3RGjX8

Best Duncan YouTube ever. Gotta watch it about once per month. :smokin

We need a few more additions to the highlight reel tonight.

Thanks TD :tu

T Park
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
that video is slightly depressing.

MONTENEGRINO
05-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I simply don't believe how bad opinion some spurs fans have about Tim... He probably is the most underrated true winner ever...

duncan228
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Best Duncan YouTube ever.

I knew which one it was going to be before I hit play. It's a great mix. :)