PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Hornets Look To Make History Tonight

duncan228
05-18-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051908.7D.BKNhornets.spurs.sider.3604b7b.html

Hornets look to make history tonight
By Mike Finger

NEW ORLEANS — The New Orleans Hornets pulled back the curtain and allowed the world to take a look Sunday, and it turned out they hadn't been hiding anything at all.

David West looked a tad sore but close to his usual vigorous self, just like they'd said he was. Chris Paul still looked like he could play a little. And the Hornets, who spent the morning before the biggest game of their lives laughing and cutting up like they were on their way to a frat party, still appeared blissfully oblivious to their place in history.

“This team is a bunch of characters,” center Tyson Chandler said. “It's been that way all year, and it's not going to change now.”

One day after closing their entire practice for the first time during the Western Conference semifinals, the Hornets invited the media inside New Orleans Arena to watch the last 20 minutes of Sunday's workout. That included a full-court scrimmage, half of which featured West, who left Game 6 after re-injuring his lower back backing into a Robert Horry screen.

On Sunday, West wasn't exactly exerting himself running up and down the floor, and didn't get involved in much of the physical play under the basket. But he showed glimpses of his All-Star form, including a play in which he grabbed an offensive rebound, spun to the baseline and banked a nifty left-handed hook through the net.

“I'm right at 100 (percent),” West said. “These past couple days have been good. I got almost all of the soreness out of there.”

Like his Hornets teammates, West gracefully dodged questions about whether he thought Horry's screen was dirty — “Just a tough play,” was as specific as his words were on Sunday. And like his teammates, he seemed unfazed about the task of facing the Spurs and their decade of big-game experience in what figures to be the most important game in Hornets franchise history.

The Hornets have never advanced to the third round of the playoffs and have reached the seventh game of the second round only once before. In 2001, when they were still located in Charlotte, they lost Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals in Milwaukee.

“Experience plays a factor in it,” Chandler said, “but the better team is going to win.”

Said West: “Those are the steps of maturity we have to take.”

The Hornets said they don't feel like they need to make any major changes heading into Game 7 (“Our only adjustment is playing harder,” coach Byron Scott said), and they have reason to be self-assured. They've won all three home games this series by blowout margins, so wasting an opportunity to finish the Spurs off in Game 6 hasn't affected their swagger.

“Walking around the city, everybody's talking about how much they want to win and how nervous they are,” Paul said. “But I'm not nervous, to tell you the truth. I have the ultimate confidence.”

Still, the Hornets would be lying if they didn't admit they're curious to see how they'll react to being on the brightest stage of their careers.

“Everything we're experiencing now is new to us as a group,” Scott said. “This is the ultimate challenge for us.”

1Parker1
05-18-2008, 11:32 PM
“Walking around the city, everybody's talking about how much they want to win and how nervous they are,” Paul said. “But I'm not nervous, to tell you the truth. I have the ultimate confidence.”

:lol Liar.

Brutalis
05-18-2008, 11:34 PM

Thought the same thing.

Dude is in his 2nd year, facing all the hoopla and hype heading into a game 7 but he isn't nervous? I doubt it but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a less than average CP like game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Michael Jordan even said before the games he'd be "nervous" --the moment he was on court though, he was cold as ice.

Paul's a liar if he says he's not nervous before the game. :lol I guess Paul doesn't want to have "the fear"...He's not ready.

BRHornet45
05-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Thought the same thing.

Dude is in his 2nd year, facing all the hoopla and hype heading into a game 7 but he isn't nervous? I doubt it but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a less than average CP like game.

son he is in his 3rd year and no he is not scurred

Brutalis
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM
son he is in his 3rd year and no he is not scurred

Brainfart, it's late.

Regardless, he is nervous, he is human. Only fools deny that.

BRHornet45
05-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Brainfart, it's late.

son there is no need for the mean name calling. All I am saying is that you should at least get your facts straight before trying to sound like you are Jesus when making a post please. thanks. god bless

Trainwreck2100
05-18-2008, 11:58 PM
son there is no need for the mean name calling. All I am saying is that you should at least get your facts straight before trying to sound like you are Jesus when making a post please. thanks. god bless

He didn't call you a brainfart, he was reffering to himself not knowing it was paul's 3rd year

tmtcsc
05-19-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't think he was calling you a name, just saying why he screwed up. He experienced a "brainfart" because its late.

I'm glad Paul's not nervous or afraid, because.....

http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/1997/star.wars.anniversary/where.are.they/yoda.lg.jpg

He will be......He....will be.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't think he was calling you a name, just saying why he screwed up. He experienced a "brainfart" because its late.

I'm glad Paul's not nervous or afraid, because.....

http://www.cnn.com/EVENTS/1997/star.wars.anniversary/where.are.they/yoda.lg.jpg

He will be......He....will be.

:lol

I love that Yoda line

I believe the Force is on our side...

And not that crappy Midi-chlorian crap for whiney brats, I'm talking about Empire Strikes back "Force" that Luke uses.

BRHornet45
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Brainfart, it's late.

son I offer you my deepest apology. please disregard my ignorance. I thought you called me a brainfart. foolish me

DriveFor5
05-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Son

WildcardManu
05-19-2008, 01:43 AM
^^ :lol

mrspurs
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
why should paul be nervous?......they have whipped our butts everytime we go there....why should anything change?..........ill tell ya why....cos we live here.....go spurs go

hater
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Paul is not nervous. You don't get nervous in the playground

MoSpur
05-19-2008, 08:40 AM
I hope that they get overconfident and the Spurs take advantage.

SAGambler
05-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Yeah, that bottle of Tums he chewed up over the weekend means nothing. Nothing at all....

Or maybe he is trying to make himself believe it.

Borosai
05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I hope the Spurs don't decide to take it easy on West. If he's out there, then he's ready.

Dex
05-19-2008, 09:29 AM
I don't think the Spurs are gonna take it easy on anybody tonight.