PDA

View Full Version : Spurs And Road Games: The Agonizing Seven

duncan228
05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051908.7D.BKNspurs.hornets.charticle.3604c42.h tml

Spurs and road games: The Agonizing Seven
Mike Monroe

NEW ORLEANS — The Spurs arrived in The Big Easy with a clear understanding of reality in a playoff season that has been marked by the remarkable difficulty of winning on the road.

A day after the Boston Celtics concluded an Eastern semifinal series against Cleveland by winning for the fourth time at home, the Spurs know “N'awlins” may be Big, but it is far from Easy.

In moments of candid reflection, the Spurs may think back to seven regular-season games that could have put Game 7 on their home court had they not managed to squander winnable opportunities. They had the same 56-26 regular season record as the Hornets, relinquishing the home-court edge because New Orleans had a better record within the division.

Express-News staff writer Mike Monroe breaks down the agonizing seven, in entirely subjective order of relative pain:

Dec. 19: @Grizzlies 88, Spurs 85

The Grizzlies, with Mike Miller draining five 3-pointers and scoring 31 points, blitzed the Spurs through the first three quarters. They led by as many as 23 in the third period. Manu Ginobili ignited a Spurs comeback that erased every bit of Memphis’ lead. When he dunked on a perfectly executed inbounds play, he tied the score at 85, with 2.4 seconds left.

The Grizzlies seemed primed for total collapse if the Spurs could make one more defensive stop. Instead, Rudy Gay launched a buzzer-beating 3-pointer that went in as the red light went on around the backboard, signaling the end of the game.

“Bottom line is: an NBA game is 48 minutes,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who could not have guessed how dramatically Gay’s make would impact the second-round series.

March 14: @Pistons 84, Spurs 80

The Spurs played hard and well in this one, but were simply too shorthanded to prevail in a tough contest against one of the Eastern Conference’s best teams. They played without their two best perimeter defenders, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka. Udoka was sent back to San Antonio for treatment on a sore foot after a 100-75 loss to the Hornets at New Orleans. The next day, the NBA suspended Bruce Bowen, ruling he had aimed a kick at Hornets guard Chris Paul.

Jan. 29: @Sonics 88, Spurs 85

After watching Tony Parker struggle the previous night in a blowout loss at Utah, Popovich sent Parker home for treatment and rest for a sore ankle. Still, the Spurs should have had enough to beat the team with the Western Conference’s worst record, a team that had lost 14 straight. But Kevin Durant scored 26 points, including two on an unguarded 18-footer with 32.6 seconds left that secured Seattle’s victory.

Jan. 19: @Rockets 83, Spurs 81

This was a winnable game if only the Spurs had done a better job of defensive rebounding, especially in crunch time. Most frustrating of all: Failing to secure a missed free throw by Yao Ming with 7.5 seconds remaining and the Spurs trailing by a single point. Then-Spurs center Francisco Elson actually knocked the ball from Fabricio Oberto’s grasp, denying the Spurs a chance to win, or tie, on a final possession.

Jan. 3: @Nuggets 80, Spurs 77

The Nuggets were one of the West’s worst defensive teams this season, but the Spurs made them look like the Bad Boy Pistons of the 1990s. Tim Duncan missed 13 of 20 shots and, with the Spurs ahead in the final minute, was stripped of the ball by Anthony Carter, who started a fast break that gave the Nuggets a lead they didn’t relinquish. Carter also nailed a late 3-pointer.

March 17: Celtics 93, @Spurs 91

It wasn’t bad enough the Celtics brought the NBA’s best record to AT&T Center for this one. It also was St. Patrick’s Day. Not a good sign when you’re playing a team with a leprechaun for a mascot. What really made this one painful was blowing a 22-point lead on the home court.

March 9: @Suns 94, Spurs 87

In their first game against Phoenix after Shaquille O’Neal joined the Suns, the Spurs seemed in good shape, ahead by six with 5:15 remaining in Phoenix. They were done in by missed layups and turnovers. Duncan missed two point-blank layins and had two turnovers in crunch time, saying he “put us in a bad situation.”

tmtcsc
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
I hate shit like that. We are where we are and that's it. You can't beat yourself up over the past. Just fucking beat them on their court, in their house in front of their fans and get ready for the Lakers.

HFFL
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Great article,Duncan228 do you write for FullSportPress.com website?

duncan228
05-19-2008, 12:12 AM

:lol Monroe's name was in the article. I just edited it in with the title.

Phil Hellmuth
05-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Oh the classic "What if game"

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 12:54 AM
That's all she does, she has no job, no life but looking for articles all over the internet..

What a waste!

Kori Ellis
05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
That's all she does, she has no job, no life but looking for articles all over the internet..

What a waste!

Oh, the irony. :lmao

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2008, 12:57 AM

What a waste!

this from a loser that spends the bulk of his time trying to annoy people on opposing team's forums? really?? :lmao

DazedAndConfused
05-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Game 7's are a whole different beast. Throw everything out the window in terms of the past. There is just something magical about a Game 7 between two GREAT teams, it's what sports are all about IMHO.

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Game 7's are a whole different beast. Throw everything out the window in terms of the past. There is just something magical about a Game 7 between two GREAT teams, it's what sports are all about IMHO. True, but it is embarrasing that a young inexperienced team beat the "defending" champions who "suppose" to have the experience on their side.

ancestron
05-19-2008, 01:12 AM
So, its all Elson's Fault!

pawe
05-19-2008, 01:36 AM

What a waste!

this coming from a stupid moron trolling for 10 years and counting...way to go louis

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Whatever, my name is not Louis and I don't troll spurs boards for 10 years like my bitch always brag about.

pawe
05-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Whatever, my name is not Louis and I don't troll spurs boards for 10 years like my bitch always brag about.

Why would your mom brag about you?

ether
05-19-2008, 02:47 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA051908.7D.BKNspurs.hornets.charticle.3604c42.h tml

Spurs and road games: The Agonizing Seven
Mike Monroe

NEW ORLEANS — The Spurs arrived in The Big Easy with a clear understanding of reality in a playoff season that has been marked by the remarkable difficulty of winning on the road.

A day after the Boston Celtics concluded an Eastern semifinal series against Cleveland by winning for the fourth time at home, the Spurs know “N'awlins” may be Big, but it is far from Easy.

In moments of candid reflection, the Spurs may think back to seven regular-season games that could have put Game 7 on their home court had they not managed to squander winnable opportunities. They had the same 56-26 regular season record as the Hornets, relinquishing the home-court edge because New Orleans had a better record within the division.

Express-News staff writer Mike Monroe breaks down the agonizing seven, in entirely subjective order of relative pain:

Dec. 19: @Grizzlies 88, Spurs 85

The Grizzlies, with Mike Miller draining five 3-pointers and scoring 31 points, blitzed the Spurs through the first three quarters. They led by as many as 23 in the third period. Manu Ginobili ignited a Spurs comeback that erased every bit of Memphis’ lead. When he dunked on a perfectly executed inbounds play, he tied the score at 85, with 2.4 seconds left.

The Grizzlies seemed primed for total collapse if the Spurs could make one more defensive stop. Instead, Rudy Gay launched a buzzer-beating 3-pointer that went in as the red light went on around the backboard, signaling the end of the game.

“Bottom line is: an NBA game is 48 minutes,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who could not have guessed how dramatically Gay’s make would impact the second-round series.

March 14: @Pistons 84, Spurs 80

The Spurs played hard and well in this one, but were simply too shorthanded to prevail in a tough contest against one of the Eastern Conference’s best teams. They played without their two best perimeter defenders, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka. Udoka was sent back to San Antonio for treatment on a sore foot after a 100-75 loss to the Hornets at New Orleans. The next day, the NBA suspended Bruce Bowen, ruling he had aimed a kick at Hornets guard Chris Paul.

Jan. 29: @Sonics 88, Spurs 85

After watching Tony Parker struggle the previous night in a blowout loss at Utah, Popovich sent Parker home for treatment and rest for a sore ankle. Still, the Spurs should have had enough to beat the team with the Western Conference’s worst record, a team that had lost 14 straight. But Kevin Durant scored 26 points, including two on an unguarded 18-footer with 32.6 seconds left that secured Seattle’s victory.

Jan. 19: @Rockets 83, Spurs 81

This was a winnable game if only the Spurs had done a better job of defensive rebounding, especially in crunch time. Most frustrating of all: Failing to secure a missed free throw by Yao Ming with 7.5 seconds remaining and the Spurs trailing by a single point. Then-Spurs center Francisco Elson actually knocked the ball from Fabricio Oberto’s grasp, denying the Spurs a chance to win, or tie, on a final possession.

Jan. 3: @Nuggets 80, Spurs 77

The Nuggets were one of the West’s worst defensive teams this season, but the Spurs made them look like the Bad Boy Pistons of the 1990s. Tim Duncan missed 13 of 20 shots and, with the Spurs ahead in the final minute, was stripped of the ball by Anthony Carter, who started a fast break that gave the Nuggets a lead they didn’t relinquish. Carter also nailed a late 3-pointer.

March 17: Celtics 93, @Spurs 91

It wasn’t bad enough the Celtics brought the NBA’s best record to AT&T Center for this one. It also was St. Patrick’s Day. Not a good sign when you’re playing a team with a leprechaun for a mascot. What really made this one painful was blowing a 22-point lead on the home court.

March 9: @Suns 94, Spurs 87

In their first game against Phoenix after Shaquille O’Neal joined the Suns, the Spurs seemed in good shape, ahead by six with 5:15 remaining in Phoenix. They were done in by missed layups and turnovers. Duncan missed two point-blank layins and had two turnovers in crunch time, saying he “put us in a bad situation.”

No offense to anyone here who may feel differently but I think this article is really stupid. First of all, EVERY team has games that they could have won but didn't. Generally speaking, these games could have gone either way. To say that any one of those 7 games cost the spurs the homecourt in this series is quite illogical. What about all the games that the hornets almost won but didn't? And what about the games that the spurs won but easily could have lost? What if Timmy didn't hit that three in game 1 against the suns? What if the suns didn't turn the ball over 5 times in the last 2 minutes of game 5? See my point? It is worthless to go back and blame the outcome of any single event or even group of single events (any single game, any single shot, any single pass, any single turnover, or any group of games, shots, turnovers, passes, etc) within an entire season for the overall product of the season. Any attempt to do this is inherently flawed because it is done from the perspective of one team. If the Hornets fans wanted to, I'm sure they could find 6 or 7 games that they feel they "should have" won but didn't. I'm sure these same people would say that the hornets "should have" been the first seed but weren't because of these "letdowns". It's no different than angry suns' fans dissapointed because they "should have" won game 1 but didn't (Due to Tim Duncan's "fluke" shot) The fact is, Timmy DID hit the shot and the spurs won in 5. The What if game is a waste of time. The spurs and hornets both won 56 games. The hornest won more games in the division and conference. END OF STORY.

brettn
05-19-2008, 03:03 AM
I haven't been on this site long but for it's worth...

EASILY one of the stupidest articles I've read on this site, espn.com, nba.com, or any other blog.. EVER. The whole WHAT IF factor is one of the stupidest things you can bring up in a game 7.

I'm sure there's loads of other people that feel this way, but this entire series comes down to one game in New Orleans. This entire season comes down to one game in NO. The Spurs aren't and will never will be (even if they lose on monday) thinking back to some meaningless regular season game if they lose tommorow. One game to keep your season alive.

Hindsight is 20/20. Worthless article. Almost offensive. But worthless either way.

mrspurs
05-19-2008, 07:41 AM
25 nics on ignore and counting.........go spurs go

SAGambler
05-19-2008, 09:02 AM
And "what if" we had grabbed HCA, and Hornets get it back in game 1 here when Duncan was playing with like 103 degree temp?

"What ifs" are only good for past history.

The time to "make history" is tonight, when the Spurs have a chance to upset the trend in losing on the road.

rascal
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I haven't been on this site long but for it's worth...

EASILY one of the stupidest articles I've read on this site, espn.com, nba.com, or any other blog.. EVER. The whole WHAT IF factor is one of the stupidest things you can bring up in a game 7.

I'm sure there's loads of other people that feel this way, but this entire series comes down to one game in New Orleans. This entire season comes down to one game in NO. The Spurs aren't and will never will be (even if they lose on monday) thinking back to some meaningless regular season game if they lose tommorow. One game to keep your season alive.

Hindsight is 20/20. Worthless article. Almost offensive. But worthless either way.

Agree. Every team has dropped close games during the regular season.

mytespurs
05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
On another related topic, I'm listening to the NBA show on Sirius. PJ Brown, former Celtic and a host was saying that he doesn't think that there will be much of a difference for this Game 7 (Spurs experience vs Hornets home court) and that the Hornets will prevail. I wish I could remember exactly what he said.....and that what worries me. If the trend continues, then Hornets will win. :(

NoMoneyDown
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
On another related topic, I'm listening to the NBA show on Sirius. PJ Brown, former Celtic and a host was saying that he doesn't think that there will be much of a difference for this Game 7 (Spurs experience vs Hornets home court) and that the Hornets will prevail. I wish I could remember exactly what he said.....and that what worries me. If the trend continues, then Hornets will win. :(

That's what bothers me. I think if the Spurs were going to prove themselves on the road in this series, it would have been in Game 5 - not Game 7.

mytespurs
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
That's what bothers me. I think if the Spurs were going to prove themselves on the road in this series, it would have been in Game 5 - not Game 7.

I so agree. If the Spurs have won that game, I would feel a bit better about their chances going into NO tonight. My gut tells me that the Spurs will play better but will it be enough? Will they manage to avoid the problems that cost them in games 1,2,5?

PJ said that the Spurs were able to turn it on when they were at home but have been unable to do so on the road and he doesn't see that changing.

tmtcsc
05-19-2008, 12:21 PM

You can relax, PJ Brown isn't playing tonight. The only people who will determine the outcome will be found ON the court. I think you can throw out all trend talk, historical talk and whatever else. It's 1 game, we are relatively healthy and I believe we are the better team.

If for some reason we lose, I don't see the Hornets advancing past the Lakers. I'm not being a hater, I just think we would give the Lakers their biggest competition. The Hornets have NO ONE who can guard Kobe or Gasol. Plus, the Lakers have been doing a much better of job of sharing the ball. I'd say Lakers in 5.

tmtcsc
05-19-2008, 12:27 PM

Why ? The Pistons beat the Miami Heat on the road in Game 7. The Mavs beat us on the road in Game 7. The ONLY reason I bring that up is to show you that it can happen.