PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Will Pinch Every Nerve To Win Game 7

duncan228
05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8153200/Spurs-will-pinch-every-nerve-to-win-Game-7

Spurs will pinch every nerve to win Game 7
by Mike Kahn

Whether you were annoyed by it or not, just consider the hit Robert Horry delivered to the already troublesome back of David West as the final warning shot fired by the San Antonio Spurs to the New Orleans Hornets.

The defending champion Spurs are guaranteed not to go down easily in Game 7 Monday night in New Orleans despite the average margin of victory being 19.7 points for the Hornets in the previous three games there.

Likewise, Horry's legacy as "Big Shot Bob," (that's "Big Shot," not "Cheap Shot") and the Spurs' reputation as the clean-shaven, old-school champions notwithstanding, San Antonio will do anything and everything to get under the skin of the Hornets and defend its title. Their silver and black colors don't automatically make them cousins to the Oakland Raiders, but they're not exactly Mother Teresa's team either.

They are a special blend of international personalities and talent, don't get into trouble off the floor and tend not to dress like a bunch of sixth-graders with their pants falling off. But that also doesn't necessarily mean they are above occassionally dirty play on the floor.

You see, West was already playing with a pinched nerve in his back and the Spurs were playing at home with an insurmountable 21-point lead in Game 6. Not only was Horry setting a blind-side screen, but replays showed he pointedly hit West's lower back — leaving the Hornets young All-Star writhing in pain, face first on the floor.

He was even lauded by television analyst, and one of the great assist men in NBA history, Mark Jackson, for putting on a good, "old school" hit on West. Really? Was a hit like that even necessary, let alone worthy of commendation?

Not in my book.

That being said, it was a not-so-subtle message that the Spurs are in it to win it ... period. So it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks at this point, unless the NBA front office had a problem with it. And given that Horry will be suiting up for Game 7, it clearly didn't.

In the big picture, we have been blown away by Horry's ability to hit clutch 3-pointers during his 16-year career. After all, he has more 3-pointers than anyone in NBA Finals history, and only six players — all Boston Celtics from the 1960s — have more than the seven championship rings he has earned for the Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets in his career. He and John Salley (Detroit, Chicago and the Lakers) are the only players in history to win rings with three different teams.

It would be an exaggeration to say Horry is tainting his legacy with this hit on West following the cheap shot he took during the Suns series last year, in which he knocked Phoenix guard Steve Nash into the scorer's table and altered the course of the playoffs. However, it is certainly worth noting for the obvious reasons that he's done little else the past two seasons but add physicality to the Spurs front line.

But Horry's not alone in his approach to the postseason. None of the Spurs' key players will go away quietly into the night Monday in the Big Easy.

People love Spurs forward Bruce Bowen away from the game. By all accounts, he is a good family man to his wife and two children, is benevolent with his time and foundation. But on the floor, arguably the best perimeter defender in the game is loathed and constantly accused of being one of the dirtiest players in the NBA.

The biggest star of pop culture in Argentina and perhaps the most underrated player in the NBA is Spurs shooting guard Manu Ginobili. He also will push, tug, lock arms and stick his foot in between a shooter's feet. Ginobili also flops and feigns hits in order to draw a charge as well as anybody who has ever played the game.

And even if Mr. Clean Tim Duncan — who evidently has never committed a foul in his 11-year career and been fouled on every drive to the basket (count how many times his eyes bug out at officials with his arms stretched out in disbelief) — will stick a needle in the Hornets with his his incessant whining.

This is who the Spurs are.

While head coach Gregg Popovich is a great basketball man, exceedingly bright and very engaging and humorous in the right setting, he is also a product of the Air Force Academy and tends to be intolerant when his expectations are not met. He also doesn't suffer fools lightly who question the integrity of his team — his sarcasm carrying the stuff of a Nolan Ryan fastball.

Consequently, you can be sure that Hornets coach Byron Scott, he of the 2008 NBA coach of the year award and three championships as Magic Johnson's backcourt mate with the Lakers, knows what is coming. He'll be tested as a coach like never before Monday night, imploring West, blossoming superstar guard Chris Paul, and the rest of the Hornets to play their game and keep their cool. Sure he was seething over the Horry hit, but other than send it to the NBA office to no avail, there was little else he could do. It was time to quickly drop and move on for the benefit of his team's psyche.

Even playing at home, it will be the biggest challenge any of them have faced in their basketball careers.

Whether or not Horry, entering his NBA record 239th playoff game, intended to hit the pinched nerve in West's back, is now officially irrelevant. West and his teammates just have to deal with it. And that's just the beginning because once Game 7 tips off, it will be the Spurs' intention to pinch every nerve of every player on the Hornets for the right to meet the Lakers in the conference finals.

Soon enough we'll find out if they've got what it takes to sting back.

nkdlunch
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/nkdlunch/hannibalcopy.jpg

smeagol
05-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Bold prediction:

Spurs win game 7 tonight on their way to a repeat.

Book it fellows.

It is written . . .

bdictjames
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow this just has all the makings of a Spurs hater. Go Spurs beat the Hornets.

urunobili
05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/nkdlunch/hannibalcopy.jpg

this looks like Nate McMillan! :lol

1Parker1
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I can't tell if this is a positive or negative article/opinion on the Spurs. :lol

honestfool84
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
this looks like Nate McMillan! :lol

why do you still have $30000 vbookie cash?

SpursWoman
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't tell if this is a positive or negative article/opinion on the Spurs. :lol

Either very impressive, or very non-committal. :lol

mexicanjunior
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Seems pretty one-sided to me...nothing in there about any of NOLA's rugged tactics, Paul's ridiculous flopping and their team's whining...but that is par for the course these days..

DAF86
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Was this article made by a professional journalist?

The biggest star of pop culture in Argentina ...is Spurs shooting guard Manu Ginobili.

Not even close of beign true.

He also will push, tug, lock arms and stick his foot in between a shooter's feet. Ginobili also flops and feigns hits in order to draw a charge as well as anybody who has ever played the game.

I'd like to see at least one video where he does this

And even if Mr. Clean Tim Duncan — who evidently has never committed a foul in his 11-year career and been fouled on every drive to the basket (count how many times his eyes bug out at officials with his arms stretched out in disbelief) — will stick a needle in the Hornets with his his incessant whining.

This seems like the writing of a 12 year old suns fan after a bad night sleep.

P.S: I didn't know you could whine your way to four championships.

I thought professional journalists needed to be objective and check their facts before publishing something, but I guess the don't.

G-Nob
05-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Sort of up the same alley....

Forecast: Spurs are perfect villain for big game

09:17 AM CDT on Monday, May 19, 2008

Ralph Malbrough / Contributing Writer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
How does a city truly bond with a sports team?

History.

New Orleans and the Hornets are about to make some tonight.

We bond with our teams through either the ecstasy of the big victory or the heartache of a crushing loss and the memory it leaves.

That’s what sports are really about.

Sure the ride with the Hornets has been fun but tonight it’ll be different.

Welcome to a Game 7.

In a sport where there are 82 games and seven game playoff series there seemingly is always a tomorrow.

Not now.

Throw in the fact the Hornets are playing a conniving city (San Antonio) and a dirty team (the Spurs) and you have the perfect villain.

San Antonio is a conniving city because after Katrina while we were flat on our backs they tried to steal our football team. Don’t ever forget that. Really the only thing keeping the Saints here was Paul Tagliabue’s conscience.

And of course the Spurs as a basketball team are incredibly dirty.

I could ramble on about Bruce Bowen and their tendency to flop to get calls but I’ll just stick to Robert Horry as my example why they are dirty.

What he did to David West wasn’t illegal but for Spurs fans and even the national media to say it wasn’t intentional is laughable.

Marc Stein of ESPN.com wrote, “Horry couldn't have known that West was going to leap for Manu Ginobili's entry pass, which appeared to be what caused West to smack so hard into Horry behind him. “

What West was doing had nothing to do with what Horry did.

Marc, if you are looking to deliver a hard foul to someone it’s really easy to do. Horry knew exactly what he was doing. He waited for his chance than pounded David West in the back.

He wanted to deliver a really hard foul to West and if West’s back injury flared up or became worse, all the better.

At least Spurs fans embraced their team’s villain behavior by chanting Horry’s name as David West was helped off the court. Stay classy San Antonio.

Those fans and that team deserve each other.

Did the previous paragraphs fire you up a little more? Good, that was the point. It’s Game 7 people, fans need to be ready too.

As for the actual game, it’s all about Chris Paul.

With the Hornets it always is.

I expect this game to be filled with emotional swings, great plays, high drama, and intense pressure.

I also expect Chris Paul to respond like he always does and the Hornets to follow his lead.

The Hornets are Paul’s team and how he responds to the magnitude of the moment will likely be how they do as well.

The Hornets need Paul’s best because to expect anything less than greatness from Tim Duncan would be foolish.

As for David West, my gut says three days of rest and the adrenaline of Game 7 will allow him to play well.

The real question is which teams supporting players step up?

Which leads us to Peja Stojakovic.

The Hornets need him to play well but his history in Game 7’s with Sacramento is quite frankly horrifying.

Peja needs to shake free from Bruce Bowen and score like he did in the series first two games because Spurs won’t go down easy.

This game will be no blowout.

If the Hornets want to defeat the champs they’ll have to take every punch the Spurs have and probably a few dirty blows as well.

There will come a moment tonight where the Hornets and the New Orleans Arena crowd will be staring the end of this magical season right in the face.

Whatever the response it will bond the city to its basketball team a little tighter and make the Hornets part of the fabric of New Orleans.

Win or lose that’s a good thing.

Of course watching Tim Duncan and the rest of the insufferable Spurs celebrating in New Orleans might be more than I can stomach.

So the Hornets should just make this easier on me and win.

New Orleans can hardly wait for an NBA playoff game, who’d have thought that was possible?

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl051908tpforecast.af1031f.html

pawe
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Get used to it. There will be more after the Spurs slaughter the bugs tonight.

degenerate_gambler
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
...Of course watching Tim Duncan and the rest of the insufferable Spurs celebrating in New Orleans might be more than I can stomach.

What is there to celebrate by winning in NO tonite moron?

SA has bigger fish to fry...this is just the second round.

pawe
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
If they win tonight, no celebrations are happening in NO coz they have to be ready for the next round wc starts the day after.

easjer
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
:rolleyes @ this article.

Rummpd
05-19-2008, 03:07 PM
pathetic article

Jon1798
05-19-2008, 03:07 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The first thing I was thinking was....congrats I guess???

TampaDude
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
If they win tonight, no celebrations are happening in NO coz they have to be ready for the next round wc starts the day after.

WERD...a few high fives, then hit the showers, get dressed, and fly home...lots of work yet to be done to get that fifth :lobt:.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
If we lose, I'm rooting for the Pistons.

Honestly, this kind of journalistic nonsense has the integrity of Don King and Dick Cheney rolled up into one little Spurs-hating, scared-to-death-to-be-facing-the-champs-in-Game-7 ball of "OH SHIT! WE MIGHT LOSE! CALL THEM DIRTY!"

It's as if the NO writers almost feel they're going to lose, so they have to get the last digs in at the Spurs while they can. They're scared. Let's put them away tonight.

degenerate_gambler
05-19-2008, 04:07 PM
It's as if the NO writers almost feel they're going to lose, so they have to get the last digs in at the Spurs while they can. They're scared. Let's put them away tonight.

He writes for Fox Sports..

ClingingMars
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
it's another :cry article

- Mars