PDA

View Full Version : Why am I Nervous?

2centsworth
05-19-2008, 02:58 PM
I've only watched one game from start to finish this entire year and that's the last one. Today will be only the 2nd game from start to finish.

Why the hell am I nervous? It's not like I'm playing.

Budkin
05-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Because it's a game 7 and the season is on the line. If you are not a little nervous you are not a Spurs fan.

ducks
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
are you getting married ?

G-Nob
05-19-2008, 03:06 PM
You are human. There will be nervous bathroom runs today.

ducks
05-19-2008, 03:14 PM
chris paul will not be able to eat today

SpursDynasty
05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm glad Chris Paul is overconfident. That way when a couple of shots don't fall, the Hornets will be rattled.

rayray2k8
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
because of the last game 7 we had.
It's a sense of fear there, fear of losing and fear of
another chance to repeat may be wiped away.
Hopefully the spurs have that senes of urgency and use
it to will themselves to win.

TampaDude
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Because it's a game 7 and the season is on the line. If you are not a little nervous you are not a Spurs fan.

+1 I don't know if I will even watch the game.

ATXSPUR
05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Because this is nerve racking!! Top 15 most important games of my sports watching life.

I seriously may just watch RAW then flip over in the 4th after RAW is over i'm so nervous.

MoSpur
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I know. I am nervous too. I don't even want to watch. Honestly.

thispego
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
you've only watched one game start to finish this year? damn, don't be such a big fan!

spursfan09
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I am nervous, but not as much as I thought I would be. In 06 I cried after the game 7 agaisnt the Mavs. I do not think i will be as hurt if we lose this game for some reason.

easjer
05-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm completely nervous. And I am not watching. Finding something to do during that time will be anxiety inducing in itself. I'm afraid of accidentally turning on the game and I'm afraid that popping into chat before the game is over or checking the box score may ruin it.

No, I'm not superstitious at all, why do you ask?

nkdlunch
05-19-2008, 03:32 PM
all I know is IF we were to lose(which we won't) this loss will not hurt nearly as much as 2006 or 2004 hurt.

G-Nob
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Better to have felt this feeling of anxiety than not to have felt it at all.

ATXSPUR
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
all I know is IF we were to lose(which we won't) this loss will not hurt nearly as much as 2006 or 2004 hurt.

LOL speak for yourself! My friends that are spur haters are giving more grief this year than ever before!!! If we lose tonight I just may lose a few friends!!!

miss paxton
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm completely nervous. And I am not watching. Finding something to do during that time will be anxiety inducing in itself. I'm afraid of accidentally turning on the game and I'm afraid that popping into chat before the game is over or checking the box score may ruin it.

No, I'm not superstitious at all, why do you ask?

Is it that you believe that your watching affects the outcome of the game? Or do you simply not find it enjoyable to watch a game if you're nervous about the result? (Or is it something else?) Admittedly I get frustrated sometimes watching games, but I would hate to be so nervous I couldn't watch the game.

Incidentally--and last question--is your signature quote from "Pride and Prejudice"?

mytespurs
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I have class tonight so I won't see the game. The game will be over by the time I get home...which will be a good thing depending....:D

florige
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I am so freakin nervous it's not even funny. I'm still debating do I want to watch the game in it's entirety, or just tune in at the 4th qtr. Everytime I check the score on ESPN or CBS not having any idea how the game is going, I get queasy waiting for the score to load. I can't log on here either because the thread titles will give it away....

nkdlunch
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
LOL speak for yourself! My friends that are spur haters are giving more grief this year than ever before!!! If we lose tonight I just may lose a few friends!!!

R u kidding??

let me refresh your memory:

http://www.dailynugget.com/images/fisher_miracle.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/fisher_kobe.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/scorecard/05/30/truth.rumors.mlb/t1_cubanNEW.jpg

phyzik
05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I hope the Spurs are nervous...

Even though its not the best movie, there was a quote in the last Rocky Balboa movie that I liked after he asked the champ if he was nervous....

[walking away] "You know, I think you try harder when you're scared... That's when it's worked best for me."

urunobili
05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I am nervous, but not as much as I thought I would be. In 06 I cried after the game 7 agaisnt the Mavs. I do not think i will be as hurt if we lose this game for some reason.

it took me more than a month to get over that... until i saw the mavericks lose to the heat i just couldn't get over it...

ATXSPUR
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I am so freakin nervous it's not even funny. I'm still debating do I want to watch the game in it's entirety, or just tune in at the 4th qtr. Everytime I check the score on ESPN or CBS not having any idea how the game is going, I get queasy waiting for the score to load. I can't log on here either because the thread titles will give it away....

Not to mention complaints in game threads always make the game seem worse than it is.

BiZNicK
All this anxiety will just make the Spurs Game 7 victory that much sweeter

vanvannen
I'm VERY nervous. I'll watch the entire game but if the Spurs loose, I'll be wrecking some stuff in my apartment. That's for sure.
Game 7 is a fucking toss up. How did it come to this?

easjer
Is it that you believe that your watching affects the outcome of the game? Or do you simply not find it enjoyable to watch a game if you're nervous about the result? (Or is it something else?) Admittedly I get frustrated sometimes watching games, but I would hate to be so nervous I couldn't watch the game.

Incidentally--and last question--is your signature quote from "Pride and Prejudice"?

I doubt, really, whether my watching has any effect, but since the Spurs have lost all the games I watched in this series and won all the games I didn't watch, I've sworn to friends in chat that I will not watch the game. It worked out well for game 6, anyway.

Truthfully, I do not enjoy watching games that I'm nervous about. It's agonizing. If we had dvr, I'd record it and watch it later, but alas, we do not. There is a point where it becomes too much, and I don't enjoy the game at all - and then, really, what's the point? It's supposed to be for entertainment purposes after all - it's not like we're discussing genocide or world hunger. So if I start feeling that way, the game gets turned off. It makes losses easier to bear.

So, I'm wearing black today, and rooting hard, but I won't be watching. Hopefully, I'll be able to watch them play Wednesday!

And yes, it is the opening line of Pride and Prejudice - one of my favorite books.

MoSpur
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I may change the channel from time to time. Every time I miss the first couple of quarters of the game and tune in like in the third quarter, we wind up winning.

LEONARD
05-19-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm glad Chris Paul is overconfident. That way when a couple of shots don't fall, the Hornets will be rattled.

Why are you worried about a fluke player like Paul anyway?

2centsworth
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
you've only watched one game start to finish this year? damn, don't be such a big fan!
stop jocking me so hard. I've watched just about every 4th quarter and most playoff games. Plus, I'm a spurtalk posting fool.

I don't watch but a little when I already know the outcome, a spurs victory.

DDS4
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Frankly, I was more nervous before game 7 vs. Detroit in 2005. Couldn't sleep that night.

miss paxton
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I doubt, really, whether my watching has any effect, but since the Spurs have lost all the games I watched in this series and won all the games I didn't watch, I've sworn to friends in chat that I will not watch the game.

Hee, well, that pattern is kind of hard to ignore. :) Like you say, let's hope you'll be watching Wednesday. And thanks for the answer on P and P, I thought that was it but couldn't quite place it.

2centsworth
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
stay away from the tube easjer.

florige
05-19-2008, 03:57 PM
stay away from the tube easjer.

Yeah Ditto!!:lol

florige
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Not to mention complaints in game threads always make the game seem worse than it is.

:lol Yeah all the early cliff jumpers making it sound like we are done for the season and we are only down 5 in the 3rd or something.

dbreiden83080
05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
I would actually be more nervous if they were playing at home, it is tough to expect the Spurs to beat a great team on the road in a game 7. I am extermely hopeful and will be hanging on every play but this is going to be really tough tonight.

sandman
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Frankly, I was more nervous before game 7 vs. Detroit in 2005. Couldn't sleep that night.

I had to go to Detroit on business that week. I watched Game 6 in Detroit from the safety of my hotel room! My flight back to Houston was during Game 7. I caught the last two minutes of the first half in Dallas during a quick layover, and actually saw Vinny Del Negro hustling to catch a flight to SA (I guess he was trying to get there before the game ended to join the party?). I rolled into Houston, ran down the concourse to the bar to see the last 1:37 of the game. I never hated flying as much as I did that day!

Los Spurs
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM

:lmao

2centsworth
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
:lmao
come on Cholo, don't be such a coward and use your real name.

Los Spurs
05-19-2008, 04:19 PM
come on Cholo, don't be such a coward and use your real name.

cholo??? I don't think so! :nope

I'm a young lady for your information moron!

mytespurs
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM
it took me more than a month to get over that... until i saw the mavericks lose to the heat i just couldn't get over it...

I imagine the Mavs losing the NBA championship eased the pain quite a bit.

gaKNOW!blee
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I just hope Manu doesnt screw anything up this year. Like not guarding Fisher, having the ball roll into the backcourt of the final seconds or fouling Dirk.

Just teasing, Manu is a great clutch player, and will lead us tonight.

adidas11
05-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Reminds me of how nervous I was before game 7's in WCF 2000 and 2002. I literally couldn't eat during the day of both of those games.

DarrinS
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Too much caffeine?

Start gettin your beer buzz on. Works for me.

timvp
05-19-2008, 04:26 PM
You'd think that four championships would take the edge off. But it doesn't, for me at least. Same feeling as waiting for the Game 7 against Portland in 1990.

Los Spurs
05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I wonder how the Spurs are feeling right now.
Let me text one of them and find out.

Only In my dreams.... :sleep

dualmax
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I am so nervous, but I believe our champs. I think the only guy that could be calm as sky now will be Manu since he has been bigger stage than this in his career.

:lobt:

Indazone
05-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Wow you should feel special. Only dude in here I have ever seen with a pink moniker. :lol

DriveFor5
05-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Out of the Game 7 vs Detroit and Game 7 vs Dallas and tonight's game, I am the least nervous about this one. Chris Paul, David West, it's just not going to happen. Sorry.

Ed Helicopter Jones
05-19-2008, 04:42 PM
I will probably be recording the game and playing it back. Unnerving.

FromWayDowntown
05-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm actually quite calm. I very much want the Spurs to win, but the last two Game 7's each brought with them a strange peace to me. There's the finality of a Game 7 that's daunting, but there's also the acceptance that the team that you root for busted it's ass and if it loses, at least it went out swinging.

Maybe I'm benefitting, ironically, from having other issues going on in my life today, too.

I'm sure I'll be quite nervous as 7:30 nears, but I won't miss watching the game and cheering for the Spurs. Hell, I might even break out into a "Horry! Horry! Horry!" chant at some point, just for shits and giggles.

Yuixafun
05-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Me, I like the fear.

It means I'm close.

It means, I'm ready.

My favorite there can be only 1 promo, with Tim Duncan and Chris Paul. Just look into those eyes. Champions past and future. present..?

Logic tells me that this game cannot be another blow out. And that in a close game the Spurs will execute at pivotal moments. The Spurs have closed many a team on the road, ruthlessly and precise.

My fear is that the Hornets will play with such a desire driven and fueled by a hungry and fervent fan base that they will come out so furious the Spurs may very well be unable to get a handle before it's over.

When the Hornets are out in front Chris Paul becomes relentless. And this is a Will that scored 61 points to honor his murdered grandfather.

So this game will be special with with so many storylines and eddies of emotion. We have the privelage to observe the human spirit tonight under duress and one group of men will triumph.

Does desire and will become more powerful depending on its source and reasons? The Spurs are playing for their Legacy, the Hornets, for legitamacy and their home..

I've been nervous for 3 days I can only imagine what those guys are feeling.

Go Spurs.

TampaDude
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess if the Spurs had already gotten a repeat in 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, or 2007, I wouldn't worry about it as much...but fuck it, they're still a dynasty, no matter what the haters say!!!

SpursDynasty
05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Chris Paul will never be an NBA champion.

timvp
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I would worry about SpursDynasty being a jinx ... but last year he talked even more ish and the Spurs won it all.

Keep it up, SD.

Budkin
05-19-2008, 04:58 PM
My anxiety usually gets the best of me during huge Spurs games, but tonight I feel strangely calm and confident. I really feel like they are going to win. Even if they don't, I'm thrilled with the success we've had the last few years. It's good to know that a lot of others feel the same way either watching or not watching or checking the scores online.

TampaDude and easjer, I'm right there with you wondering if I should actually watch the game or not - and that it becomes agonizing from possession to possession. I'll most likely watch the first half and then go do something else and wait for the score. The 4th quarters of these games are always the worst. My wife always gives me a hard time about it but I guess it just goes with being a Spur fan with high anxiety. GO SPURS GO!

ForeignFan
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I wish I could attend the game. It is much more enjoyable and makes me far less nervous than watching alone on TV -and even in case of a loss (God forbids), it makes it more bearable; I can testify about this since I was at the Rugby world cup 1/2 final France-England.
A GTG would be great as well but there is no such thing in Paris (that I know of)

ducks
05-19-2008, 07:11 PM
chris paul stomach is turning