PDA

View Full Version : DeClercq re-signs with Magic

KoriEllis
07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Tuesday, July 22

DeClercq re-signs with Magic
Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) _ Andrew DeClercq re-signed with Orlando on Tuesday after a season in which he gave the Magic a reliable big man off the bench.

The team did not announce details of the contract, but the Orlando Sentinel reported it was worth $5 million over two seasons.

DeClercq, who at 6-foot-10 played forward and center, averaged 4.7 points and 4.4 rebounds last season. He played in 77 games, making 21 starts.

DeClercq said the Magic ``were straight up with me'' in telling him they would re-sign him after declining his $3.6 million option, making him a free agent this summer.

``I'm not surprised the way things went. I know they wanted me back. They said it from Day 1,'' DeClercq told the Sentinel. ``(Coach Doc Rivers) told me to be patient and look at some things. He said, `You are one of the guys we feel we need back.' I was never really worried.''

DeClercq has spent more than eight seasons in the league with Golden State, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando, averaging 5.1 points and 4.3 rebounds.