PDA

View Full Version : Finally...Someone calls out KG

sribb43
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3403820

During the last few minutes of Game 6 of Boston's second-round series with Cleveland, poor Kevin Garnett looked like Forrest Gump right after Jenny pulled her top down in her dorm room. On one play, the ball swung to KG at the foul line; no Cav was within 10 feet of him. Strangely, he panicked, thinking about shooting an open J before realizing, Wait, I'm seven feet tall, that would be dumb, and barreling toward the basket to rush a clumsy jump hook. For a former MVP who makes $22 million a year, it was an astoundingly incompetent sequence.

It also wasn't a surprise. Garnett's crunch-time woes have been the dirty little secret of this storybook Celtics season. Sure, he saved the franchise and made the C's relevant again. He's also the reason they might not win the 2008 championship. Put simply, Garnett shrinks from pressure more times than he comes through. The NBA is a simple league to figure out: In a playoff series, the best player prevails unless his supporting cast is significantly inferior to the other team's. So when Boston's best player can't dominate close games against a quality opponent … um, that's a problem.

Fans spend an inordinate amount of time analyzing the mental makeup of their favorite players, so you can only imagine how many hours I've spent thinking about Garnett. After all, I'm the same guy who once wasted an entire afternoon trying to figure out Hickory High's box score in that final game in Hoosiers. (If you care, I had Chitwood down for 30 on 14-of-18 shooting.) The intriguing wrinkle with Garnett is he plays differently down the stretch by not playing differently. Selfless and passionate for 48 minutes a game, eight months a year, he can't raise his game because it's already raised. Like Nigel Tufnel's guitar, he's already up to 11.

Sometimes, when Garnett's adrenaline kicks in during crunch time it's like watching a diabetic in the midst of a sugar rush. His body can't handle it. When he succeeds, he loses his mind, pounding his chest, belting out profanities and hollering at the crowd like a crazy person. When he fails (and it's happened a few times this season), his mistakes are unbelievably amateurish—intentional fouls when the team doesn't need them, taking too many steps on his signature fall-away, that kind of stuff. The pressure gets to him. You can see it. In Game 4 of the first-round series with Atlanta, after a near-altercation with Zaza Pachulia, the camera found KG on the bench and he was practically hyperventilating.

Now, Garnett isn't the only NBA star who has struggled in big moments. Wilt was famous for it. The Mailman choked so many times I once wrote, "You know you're watching ESPN Classic if it's 2 a.m. and Karl Malone looks like he's about to throw up." David Robinson was an extremely nice guy who played like one in big games.

GARNETT PLAYS DIFFERENTLY DOWN THE STRETCH BY NOT PLAYING DIFFERENTLY

C-Webb passed the basketball like it was a hand grenade in the clutch. Clyde Drexler always seemed like he'd just downed too much caffeine. Even one of my favorite Celtics, Kevin McHale, got the yips. In Game 2 of the 1984 Finals, his legs shook after he missed that free throw before Gerald Henderson's famous steal.

The list of guys who came up short is as endless as the one of those who repeatedly came through in the clutch (Michael Jordan, Sam Jones, Reggie Miller, Dennis Johnson, Robert Horry, Larry Legend … ). The question is, how do you end up on one list or the other? What makes for clutch? Is it part of your DNA, or something that's honed through experience and repetition?

Here's my answer: It's both. One of the most fascinating things about Jordan's career wasn't that he nailed the title-winning shot against Georgetown as a freshman, but that Dean Smith called the play for him. If someone is born with ice water in his veins, you know it. Smith knew it. Then again, get enough reps with anything in life, and you're more likely to succeed. Trying not to sound nervous when I started to do TV and radio a few years ago, I'd overthink and make myself nervous, battling a rush of adrenaline right before my segment started. I've learned to channel that energy now—I can speak in front of large crowds and everything. Why? Because I got my reps.

How far can experience actually get you in matters of clutchness? After Garnett jumped from high school to the NBA, he played eight years without ever getting past the first round. Fellow high schooler Kobe Bryant landed on a talented Lakers team, failing famously as a rookie (remember his hideous air balls that ended the series against the Jazz in 1997?), then getting swept by the '98 Jazz and '99 Spurs. Name me one memorable Kobe moment from his first three springs. You can't. But 28 meaningful playoff games provided him with valuable pressurized situations. By the time the 2000 postseason rolled around, Kobe was asserting himself, capping it off with an MJ moment in Game 4 of the Finals for a championship team.

By contrast, poor Garnett was trapped on lousy and half-decent teams until 2004, when he carried the Timberwolves to the Western Conference finals, submitting an ESPN Classic game of his own against the Kings (32 points, 21 rebounds in Game 7) in the second round. But just when it seemed as if he was getting the hang of clutch, Minnesota imploded, missing the playoffs in its next three seasons with KG. Now he's slightly past his prime. Can you blame him for not being clutch when he never got those reps in his formative years? Probably not. Think of his career like a video game: Spend a ton of time playing Grand Theft Auto, and you're much more likely to complete a mission than some guy who doesn't own a PS3, right?

Fair or unfair, Garnett will always be measured against Tim Duncan, who has already carried the Spurs to four titles. It's easy to forget now that TD had his own blips and stumbles along the way, or that he played in 71 playoff games before famously demolishing the Nets with a 21/20/10 line in the clincher of the 2003 Finals. Wired very much like Garnett—completely selfless, phenomenally competitive, thoughtful as a teammate—Duncan learned to channel his intensity, saving peak performances for when they mattered most. He figured out that there was a crucial difference between a ho-hum January game in Atlanta and a must-win playoff game in LA. He's clearly developed a reliable mental alert: All right, unless I grab 20 rebounds tonight, we're going to lose. Or: If I don't take over this game right now and score every time down the floor, we're cooked.

Bill Russell had that switch. So did MJ, Bird and Magic. Well, Garnett doesn't have it. Like every other Celtics fan, I've been looking for it, waiting for it … and it's just not there. A wonderful all-around player, ultimately he's only as good as his teammates. Even during the emotional Game 7 victory over Cleveland, Garnett was nearly invisible down the stretch. So if we can't find a way to stick him with Kobe, LeBron or someone of that ilk, he's probably not getting a ring unless Paul Pierce has a few more 41-point explosions in him.

And we can think about what might've happened if he'd somehow switched places with Duncan back in 1997 and gotten all those playoff reps. Maybe things would have been different for Kevin Garnett.

Maybe.

theMUHMEshow
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
KG >> _irk

JMarkJohns
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow...

monosylab1k
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Now, Garnett isn't the only NBA star who has struggled in big moments. Wilt was famous for it. The Mailman choked so many times I once wrote, "You know you're watching ESPN Classic if it's 2 a.m. and Karl Malone looks like he's about to throw up." David Robinson was an extremely nice guy who played like one in big games.

oh shit, he called out D-Rob...The Spurs Fan D-Rob Nuke Defense is on its way.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Ironically enough I think this postseason, in which his team is could still conceivably win a championship, is doing as much damage to his reputation as any of his first round exits. That game 7 against Cleveland was pretty damning. If Paul Pierce doesn't rise up and match Lebron shot for shot the Celtics are fishing right now. There's no reason that a team with a "Big 3" should have to have one of them step up like that to beat a one man show like Lebron.

mardigan
05-20-2008, 03:18 PM
oh shit, he called out D-Rob...The Spurs Fan D-Rob Nuke Defense is on its way.

Hard to argue, he didnt win anything till he got Tim.

hater
05-20-2008, 03:21 PM
KG and Ray allen are like 2 vaginas out there in crunch time

samikeyp
05-20-2008, 03:25 PM

You are partially correct. Robinson won individual honors but not what matters the most, :lobt:

I have never bought the "soft" label for any NBA player. If you have what it takes to succeed at a high level in the NBA for as long as KG, Robinson and Dirk have....you are not soft.

With Robinson, it was not a matter of being too nice or soft, it was more of a priority thing. He wanted to win but if he didn't, it didn't devastate him as much as some because his family and faith were more important. Which doesn't make him bad or anything lesser....just different.

Gant
05-20-2008, 03:30 PM
This doesn't hold up if you watch both ends of the floor. Pierce and LeBron cancelled each other out.

The difference was the Celtics outrebounding the league's best rebounding team by 10 boards; and the defense. Aside from Pierce that's where the game was won.

The Cleveland big men were shut down in every aspect of the game. That's Garnett along with Perkins and the Celtics team defense.

ducks
05-20-2008, 03:39 PM
david robinson never had a point guard like tp and another player like manu
oh and duncan has

dickface
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
The Cleveland big men were shut down in every aspect of the game.

Oh nice, he managed to shut down Ben Wallace and Anderson Varejao. That takes a monumental defensive effort.

JamStone
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
oh and duncan has

Didn't David Robinson play for the 2003 Spurs?

David Robinson didn't have a point guard like Parker and another like Manu. He had those two players exactly.

Gant
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh nice, he managed to shut down Ben Wallace and Anderson Varejao. That takes a monumental defensive effort.

You might have missed the game or missed a bit of it. Garnett frequently shifted onto Ilgauskas. Z was stopped cold, and the Celtics advanced.

Without Garnett in game 7, the Celtics would not still be playing.

stretch
05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
KG >> _irk

Prove it.

JamStone
05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
KG is the better overall player than Dirk.

I would acquiesce to the notion that Dirk is more clutch on offense than KG.

ducks
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

David Robinson didn't have a point guard like Parker and another like Manu. He had those two players exactly.

that was before he had duncan

Bob Lanier
KG and Ray allen are like 2 vaginas out there in crunch time
What, exactly, does that mean?

CubanMustGo
You might have missed the game or missed a bit of it. Garnett frequently shifted onto Ilgauskas. Z was stopped cold, and the Celtics advanced.

Without Garnett in game 7, the Celtics would not still be playing.

Ooh boy, stopping a journeyman center like Ilgauskas. What a stud.

dickface
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
that was before he had duncan

what?

are you fuckin retarded?

stretch
great article though

Bob Lanier
Ooh boy, stopping a journeyman center like Ilgauskas. What a stud.
Ah, Ilgauskas is the exact opposite of a "journeyman."

Prove it.
Just block this imbecile.

nkdlunch
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
ducks, come back to reality

stretch
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM

KG may have a more rounded game, but that doesn't always mean crap. KG has a more well rounded game than Tim Duncan. But I will build a team around Dirk or Duncan over KG in a HEARTBEAT.

Pero
05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
what?

are you fuckin retarded?

:lmao

Pero
05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Wired very much like Garnett—completely selfless, phenomenally competitive, thoughtful as a teammate

LMAO joke of the day!!! Yeah maybe he's thoughtful, until you outplay him, then he'll beat you up. TD is nothing like KG, who is a punk.

dickface
05-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Ah, Ilgauskas is the exact opposite of a "journeyman."

Just block this imbecile.

Tell us more about what a great defensive player Peja is, smart guy.

Bob Lanier
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Tell us more about what a great defensive player Peja is, smart guy.
What the fuck are you talking about?

dickface
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?

Don't play dumb, ass face.

Bob Lanier
05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Don't project, dickface.

san antonio spurs
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
KG is exposed this year because people have higher expectations. He's been the same his entire career and seriously only uneducated sports writers thought he was all that (a superstar).
Many knowledgeable analysts said he needed a star player in order to win, thus the trades talk to play him alongside Kobe, Lebron or Nash.

JoeTait75
05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Garnett shut down the Cavs big men because a.) Varejao and Wallace are non-factors offensively anyway, b.) Garnett pushes off on every rebound and c.) Garnett constantly camps out in the lane in blatant defiance of the three-second rule.

As for Ray Allen, he's nothing more than a one-dimensional player at this point. His ankles are giving way on him and he can't create his own shot. Not really his fault.

mystargtr34
05-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Dirk is FAAAR more cluch than Garnett... it isnt even close.

Dirk may have a couple of playoff funks... but so has Tim Duncan... heck so has MJ

Garnett has NEVER come out in the clutch.

lrrr
05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
I don't buy that "reps" can make a person clutch. To some extent it can help to have that experience under your belt (the Hornets will be that much better next year), but guys like karl malone played plenty of conference finals games/finals games and were STILL chokers!

Kobe was only a teenager when he entered the league, how good was he supposed to be at that age?

Biggems
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM

all he had was Elliott till he got Tim.....plus the Spurs changed coaches like women change clothes.....daily it seemed. There was no continuity in San Antonio until Pop became the coach. Big Market teams have can do the coaching carousel and still be successful because they can attract the big name players.....small market teams need consistency and continuity. They need to keep the same core for a long time and build upon it in order to be successful.

His two best chances were in his Rookie season, but Rod Strickland ended that with his no look pass to no one in game 7 against Portland

Then in 95 against the Rockets. He was the only one who showed up. Of course the Rockets could double and triple team him, no one else could make a shot. Rodman was more of a distraction than a help. Hakeem went off against us, but he also went off against all the other teams in the playoffs....and he totally raped Shaq in the Finals. Hill was our version of D'Antoni in that series and Rudy T was Pop.

BTW, Robinson was only healthy for the first 7 years of his career....and during those 7 years, his all around stats had him as the #1 all around player in the league during that span.....statwise anyway. Only Michael Jordan was on his level statwise. Of course, there is more to basketball than stats....and Jordan had that IT.....

If you take Robinson from his first 7 years and put him on that Bulls team that won 72 games.....I firmly believe they go 82-0 and then 15-0 on the way to the Championship.

David will forever be THE MAN in my eyes.

SRJ
05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Funny enough, the clutch guys mentioned all had awesome teammates and the chokers all had lousy teammates (except Karl Malone).

Clutch and choke are always waaaay overrated. Give me enough quality and I'll take my chances.

Yes. At age 37, a physical shadow of his former self. Playing with a rookie Ginobili and second year Parker. I guess, by your logic, the Suns should have gone right through the Spurs since they had Shaq and Grant Hill. You're talking about two All-NBA guys joining Nash and Amare!

The spirit of that comment is that it's too bad that Robinson, during the prime seasons of his career, didn't have stud teammates like Timmy has had during his prime seasons. But thanks for playing dumb so I could spell all this out.

Findog
05-20-2008, 08:19 PM

The hell he is. KG's much better defense is cancelled out by Dirk's much better ability to carry a team. At worst, they're equal.

endrity
05-20-2008, 08:27 PM
I agree with the idea that somehow these playoffs are even more damagaing to KG's rep.

In Minny he could hide behind shitty teammates, or not playing enough big games, but in Boston he is playing with the best regular season team. And in the playoffs he has had so many chances to come through, yet he plays hot potato like no one else in the 4th quarter. He has missed out on every single opportunity this year.

I said it in another thread, but he is really on another level. CWebb would play hot potato in the last two minutes of a game, Garnett just covers himself with a blanket the whole 4th quarter. He does so, even when he is having a nice game before that. And as I write this KG is being owned by Rasheed.

Capt Bringdown
05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
I think KG deserves getting called out because of his BS "I invented intensity" persona and because of the way he runs his mouth.

Armando
05-20-2008, 08:37 PM
There is no bigger douchebag in the NBA then Rasheed Wallace.

Magic_Johnson
05-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Rasheed will own him in this serie

Armando
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Rasheed will own him in this serie

You overestimate Rasheed. He is just one bad call from being ejected.

Magic_Johnson
05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
You overestimate Rasheed. He is just one bad call from being ejected.

KG is just one quarter from disapearing

hitmanyr2k
05-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I've been saying the same thing about KG for years. If you've watched the guy long enough you know how he is. He was finally starting to get more assertive in the clutch starting in '03 and it carried through to '04 but now he's back to being the same guy that shrinks so small in big moments you need a microscope to find him on the floor.

Capt Bringdown
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
...but now he's back to being the same guy that shrinks so small in big moments you need a microscope to find him on the floor.

He didn't do much shrinking today, and it was a pretty big moment. Important game 1 following a grueling game 7. Celts with the big Mo right now.

JamStone
05-20-2008, 11:13 PM
He didn't do much shrinking today, and it was a pretty big moment. Important game 1 following a grueling game 7. Celts with the big Mo right now.

He played like it was game 1 of a playoff series at home and not game 7 or an elimination game.

He deserves credit, but let's not talk about him not shrinking in game 1 of a series.

2centsworth
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
oh and duncan has

neither did tim in '99

TDfan2007
05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Well while we were all roasting KG, he came up REALLY big tonight. Had a great game and punked Rasheed Wallace.

With that said, it was only one game...hopefully for the Celts, he'll be able to do this in every game.

ludda
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
KG has good playoff games...every dog has its day :hat

just kidding

KG is not a clutch, go-to guy. He has a great overall game, but if you dump the ball to him in close games, expect to the ball to be thrown right out again most of the times. That's ALWAYS been his fault.

"Clutch" "choker" has become overused. ALL great players have "choked" in important games, but at the very least they are willing to take on that burden of trying to close out the game.

lefty
05-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Ironically enough I think this postseason, in which his team is could still conceivably win a championship, is doing as much damage to his reputation as any of his first round exits. That game 7 against Cleveland was pretty damning. If Paul Pierce doesn't rise up and match Lebron shot for shot the Celtics are fishing right now. There's no reason that a team with a "Big 3" should have to have one of them step up like that to beat a one man show like Lebron.

Pierce is the shit