PDA

View Full Version : An Early Guess Who Might Call Game 1

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 04:04 PM
I have no idea who the three officials for Game 1 will be, but my morning before guess is that Dan Crawford will be the lead official for Game 1.

I'm assuming the league will have 6 crew chiefs in this round, too: Bavetta, D. Crawford, J. Crawford, Javie, Rush, Salvatore. Having just seen Bavetta and Javie last night, I think you can count them out. Joey's working tonight in Boston, so he's out, too.

That leaves D. Crawford, Rush, and Salvatore. Of the 6 crew chiefs, only the Crawfords didn't work a Game 7 in the 2nd round. Joey gets the next game -- Game 1 of the ECF -- so I'm thinking that Danny gets the game after that one -- Game 1 of the WCF.

Just a guess.

No clue on the other two, other than that we can be sure it won't be Greg Willard, Mark Wunderlich, or Scott Foster. I'm also pretty sure that it won't include Bob Delaney or Tom Washington, since each has worked a game in LA in the last two weeks.

timvp
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice job. DCrawford would be a good ref to help keep Bowen out of foul trouble, hopefully. Even though it does bring back .4 memories :pctoss

P.S.

Has Scott Foster always been as bad as he was last night? Javie and Bavetta were solid. Foster was pathetic.

Nego
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Just please lord... no Dork Bavetta....and no Tim's best friend- Joey Crawford...

gospursgojas
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Joey Crawford should not ever ref a Spurs game again.

Or any NBA game at that

honestfool84
05-20-2008, 04:09 PM
javie is my new favorite road ref.

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Nice job. DCrawford would be a good ref to help keep Bowen out of foul trouble, hopefully. Even though it does bring back .4 memories :pctoss

We'll see if I'm right -- it could just as easily be Ed Rush or Bennett Salvatore.

I'd fully expect to see Salvatore in one of the games in LA in this series, since he worked so recently in San Antonio.

P.S.

Has Scott Foster always been as bad as he was last night? Javie and Bavetta were solid. Foster was pathetic.

I thought Javie and Bavetta were extraordinarily good last night. Truly deserving of their status as elite officials. Bavetta had one fairly questionable call, but that happens. He understood not to interject himself into the game and let the teams decide it.

I agree about Foster and still wonder why he got the nod to call Game 7. As I noted elsewhere, the guys who call Game 7's by this point in the playoffs are the officials who will be calling Finals games (Tom Washington in 2004 was the last official without Finals experience to call a 2nd round Game 7). I'd be very surprised if Foster has reached that level (there would only seem to be room for 2 additions to the Finals roster from last year and one of those will undoubtedly be Joey Crawford), and nothing about his performance last night would suggest that he has. He seemed to be guessing far too much on his calls. It was disappointing because I generally think Foster's a solid official who will likely be in the Finals group within the next few years.

G-Nob
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
If things get heated with Joey Crawford again, you have to expect the league will look into whether he officiates another spurs game this year. I know Stern has said he has no reason to leave him out, but the nba doesn't need anymore negative officiating distractions the remainder of these playoffs.

Allanon
05-20-2008, 04:33 PM
All I hope for is Joey Crawford as the lead official in Game 3. I hope he doesn't ref Game 1 or 2.

I'd like to get Javie done with in Game 1.

easjer
05-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Joey Crawford should not be allowed at Spurs games for the remainder of the post-season. Not after the travesty of game 5. I thought he was fair in the Suns series, and over the course of the season - but after that game 5, I never want to see him again.

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Meh, Joey is Joey. I don't think the league should get itself in the business of saying that certain officials won't work the games of a particular team -- if the official is miscalling games then he shouldn't work any games; if a team feels as though there's an agenda, the league should investigate. At the end of the day, though, the Spurs don't win or lose games because of officials.

Besides, Joey's going to be a Finals official again this year and they can't exactly keep him from calling Spurs games at that point if the Spurs manage to reach the Finals again.

50 cent
05-20-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree that game 1 will likely be Danny and that is a good thing.

I hope we draw Salvatore at home.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 08:49 AM
D. Crawford
J. Clark
B. Delaney

polandprzem
05-21-2008, 08:55 AM
D. Crawford
J. Clark
B. Delaney

:tu

I've just checked it and said

YES!!!

SAGambler
05-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Joey Crawford should not ever ref a Spurs game again.

Or any NBA game at that

Amen to that. He needs to be put out to pasture.

polandprzem
05-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Meh, Joey is Joey. I don't think the league should get itself in the business of saying that certain officials won't work the games of a particular team -- if the official is miscalling games then he shouldn't work any games; if a team feels as though there's an agenda, the league should investigate. At the end of the day, though, the Spurs don't win or lose games because of officials.

Besides, Joey's going to be a Finals official again this year and they can't exactly keep him from calling Spurs games at that point if the Spurs manage to reach the Finals again.

We probably will get javie for 2nd game.
How do yo feel about his chances?

2nd game of the det-bos series will be officiated by Dick or Bennet as I assume.
But that's just a thinking

curtismedellin
05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
D. Crawford
J. Clark
B. Delaney

can you post that link for future reference?

50 cent
05-21-2008, 10:03 AM
D. Crawford
J. Clark
B. Delaney

2 out of 3 ain't bad. Don't care for Delaney in this spot, but oh well.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
2 out of 3 ain't bad. Don't care for Delaney in this spot, but oh well.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Delaney got this game. Apparently, some of the rules aren't as ironclad as they've been in the past.

P.S.-- Does anyone else think that the recent allegations made by Donaghy are actually likely to be helpful in terms of assuring that these high-profile games are called a bit more evenly?

LakerLanny
05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Delaney is a Circle of 7 Fixer Ref and probably the worst ref in the league today.

Jim Clark was atrocious in favor of Utah in Game 1 of that series, he was just abysmal.

Danny Crawford is hit or miss, he misses a lot of calls and does way too much talking with the players instead of concentrating on the game.

Overall, a very suspect crew and pretty much a best case scenario for the *purs.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Overall, a very suspect crew and pretty much a best case scenario for the *purs.

Because, of course, the only way that the Spurs could possibly win a game in Los Angeles is by virtue of a fix, right?

:rolleyes

LakerLanny
05-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Because, of course, the only way that the Spurs could possibly win a game in Los Angeles is by virtue of a fix, right?

:rolleyes

Yes, much like the 35-12 FT attempt differential fix job in Game 1 of the 2003 series that unjustly swung the series in your team's favor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=230505024

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm still wondering when Laker Lanny will actually admit that the Spurs are truly capable of simply outplaying his Lakers in a playoff game.

I'm sure that the Spurs wouldn't have taken Game 6 in 2003 without the manipulation skills of Dick Bavetta and Joey Crawford inuring to their benefit.

easjer
05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
D. Crawford
J. Clark
B. Delaney

Well done, FWD!

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with the principle behind it. I don't know if I can agree that Joey should continue reffing if he won't call a game appropriately. I feel pretty strongly about that game 5. I'll give him another chance at redemption, though, and then we'll see. If an official has such a personality conflict with one team (whoever the team is - even if that would be beneficial to the Spurs) they shouldn't be a high level official anymore.

Yes, it is true that games are not won or lost by officials, though a well-timed bad call can swing a close game (see the foul on Tim Duncan, who had the temerity to let Dirk Nowitski step on his feet). That was not the end of the game, had better plays been made earlier, had other shots fallen, they could have won - but it might as well have ended it.

That's true. I still hate him and would prefer that if he cannot leave his personality conflicts off the court that he not be allowed to officiate Finals games.

P.S.-- Does anyone else think that the recent allegations made by Donaghy are actually likely to be helpful in terms of assuring that these high-profile games are called a bit more evenly?

But . . . but . . . but . . . that interferes with my conspiracy theories! Pain is shooting through the tin foil hat. . .

Ok, in reality - I don't know. I think it helps. I hope these games will be fairly called anyway; I expect fewer egregrious calls than in the past. But there are a lot of subtle ways in which officials can influence a game and/or a series. Like all the homecooking in the semis. I think that the league is eager for the stain of the ref scandal to go away, but they are likewise eager to see anything but Spurs/Pistons II. Whether that will be felt as an influence in calls remains to be seen (I don't actually believe a fix is in).

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Well done, FWD!

I'm getting better at it. . . . .

Ok, in reality - I don't know. I think it helps. I hope these games will be fairly called anyway; I expect fewer egregrious calls than in the past. But there are a lot of subtle ways in which officials can influence a game and/or a series. Like all the homecooking in the semis. I think that the league is eager for the stain of the ref scandal to go away, but they are likewise eager to see anything but Spurs/Pistons II. Whether that will be felt as an influence in calls remains to be seen (I don't actually believe a fix is in).

I think that if there ends up being a game that looks a lot like Game 6 of SAC/LAL in 2002, the lid will blow off the Donaghy thing and the world is going to look really closely at what Donaghy is saying. I think that's true without regard to who might benefit from a travesty like that. As such, I wouldn't expect anything that would remotely reach that level, which should be a great relief to basketball fans everywhere.

It's the interesting cloud that looms over the NBA right now, to me. There was something in the way that David Stern responded yesterday to questions about Donaghy's assertions that got me wondering about this -- it was as if he was both angry and unsure about the effects of this. I thought the league's announced desire to talk with Donaghy again was also an interestingly-timed request.

I'm still convinced that there is no conspiracy and that the NBA is truly on the up-and-up, even if it is sometimes subject to officiating cliches favoring superstars or home teams or whatever else. It would sadden me to no end to learn that Donaghy is correct and I hope that he's not; but if his assertions compel the league to take additional steps to ensure absolutely that games are officiated without an interest in personalities or ratings, that would be the best result that could come out of this whole mess.

By the way, Lakers fans screaming about "fixes" amuse me to no end.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm getting better at it. . . . .

I think that if there ends up being a game that looks a lot like Game 6 of SAC/LAL in 2002, the lid will blow off the Donaghy thing and the world is going to look really closely at what Donaghy is saying. I think that's true without regard to who might benefit from a travesty like that. As such, I wouldn't expect anything that would remotely reach that level, which should be a great relief to basketball fans everywhere.

It's the interesting cloud that looms over the NBA right now, to me. There was something in the way that David Stern responded yesterday to questions about Donaghy's assertions that got me wondering about this -- it was as if he was both angry and unsure about the effects of this. I thought the league's announced desire to talk with Donaghy again was also an interestingly-timed request.

I'm still convinced that there is no conspiracy and that the NBA is truly on the up-and-up, even if it is sometimes subject to officiating cliches favoring superstars or home teams or whatever else. It would sadden me to no end to learn that Donaghy is correct and I hope that he's not; but if his assertions compel the league to take additional steps to ensure absolutely that games are officiated without an interest in personalities or ratings, that would be the best result that could come out of this whole mess.

By the way, Lakers fans screaming about "fixes" amuse me to no end.

Good Job FWD. You are in Timvp status now.

Southwest Texas Fan
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Oh what did Donaghy say?

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I suspect that my mystique will end when it comes time to figure out the Game 2 officials.

G-Nob
05-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I suspect that my mystique will end when it comes time to figure out the Game 2 officials.

Keep up the reasoning. I am a huge fan of stats and probables.

baseline bum
05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, much like the 35-12 FT attempt differential fix job in Game 1 of the 2003 series that unjustly swung the series in your team's favor.

How about the 45-26 FT disparity that unfairly evened the series in game 4?

http://www.nba.com/games/20030511/SASLAL/boxscore.html

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2008, 01:30 PM
How about the 45-26 FT disparity that unfairly evened the series in game 4?

http://www.nba.com/games/20030511/SASLAL/boxscore.html

Are you kidding?!?!?! Those 45 free throws were hard earned by the Lakers!! The Lakers get lots of free throws in games only because they overcome the will of the game officials to ensure that the Lakers don't ever succeed. There's a massive conspiracy afoot and it's aimed at assuring that the Lakers don't ever get any benefit; luckily for the whole world, the Lakers are so good that they overcome that conspiracy and win titles anyway. Hell, Chuck Norris cowers at the sight of the purple & gold.

travis2
05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
:lmao

TampaDude
05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm still wondering when Laker Lanny will actually admit that the Spurs are truly capable of simply outplaying his Lakers in a playoff game.

I'm sure that the Spurs wouldn't have taken Game 6 in 2003 without the manipulation skills of Dick Bavetta and Joey Crawford inuring to their benefit.

What about Game 7 of the 2005 Finals against Detroit?

Officials: Dick Bavetta, Joe Crawford, Eddie F. Rush

We still won that game 81-74 despite one of the worst possible officiating lineups for the Spurs. :lol

grjr
05-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Hey FWD, do you have any thoughts about why Jack "Tim Lover" Nies got shut out of the playoffs this year?

50 cent
05-21-2008, 05:51 PM
What about Game 7 of the 2005 Finals against Detroit?

Officials: Dick Bavetta, Joe Crawford, Eddie F. Rush

We still won that game 81-74 despite one of the worst possible officiating lineups for the Spurs. :lol

Substitute Bavetta for Nies and that would have been the worst officiating lineup for the Spurs.

Holt's Cat
05-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Delaney is a Circle of 7 Fixer Ref and probably the worst ref in the league today.

Jim Clark was atrocious in favor of Utah in Game 1 of that series, he was just abysmal.

Danny Crawford is hit or miss, he misses a lot of calls and does way too much talking with the players instead of concentrating on the game.

:baby

birdy219
05-21-2008, 08:02 PM

I find it hilarious that a Laker fan would EVER say that the refs were against them. Kobe just set the history of the NBA record of 80 free throws in a series. Even more than Jordan. I bet that the Spurs entire team didn't attempt 80 free throws in the 7 game series that they finished. Anyway,
:flag: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt2: