PDA

View Full Version : Some Random Numbers Stuff that Might Fascinate Only Me

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 05:03 PM
29th -- By appearing in Game 7 of the New Orleans series, Tim Duncan tied Don Nelson for 29th place All-Time in playoff appearances with 150. If he plays 4 games against LA, he'll tie Gary Payton and Sam Jones for 24th place.

100 -- Tony Parker has appeared in exactly 100 more playoff games than Chris Paul; that number will obviously increase before it gets smaller; also the number of playoff wins for Gregg Popovich since 1998 (an average of 9+ playoff wins per season -- 8 wins gets you into the conference finals, at least since 2003).

6001 -- Tim Duncan's career playoff minutes; he's only the 17th NBA player to log as many as 6,000 playoff minutes in his career.

1304 -- The number of field goals Tim Duncan has made during his playoff career. During the New Orleans series, Duncan passed both James Worthy and Magic Johnson and now sits 13th All-Time in FGM.

98 -- Tim Duncan has made 98 more playoff field goals than Kobe Bryant.

130 -- Kobe Bryant has 130 more playoff field goal attempts than Tim Duncan.

2, 5, 8, 10, 11, 14 -- the all-time rankings for Robert Horry, Michael Finley, Derek Fisher, Manu Ginobili, Kobe Bryant, and Bruce Bowen in career playoff Three Point Field Goals.

23.5 -- if Duncan averages 23.5 ppg in a 4 game series against LA, he'll pass Wilt Chamberlain on the all-time playoff scoring list; if the series goes to 7 games, he'll need only to average 13.4 ppg to pass Wilt. If he averages 27.5 over the first four games of the 2008 WCF, he'll also pass Elgin Baylor on that list; he'll do the same thing if he averages 15.7 ppg over a 7 game series.

4 -- at the end of the 2002 playoffs, David Robinson became the first player in Spurs history to appear in 100 playoff games for the Spurs organization. After Game 7 of the New Orleans series, Tim Duncan (150), Bruce Bowen (112), Tony Parker (112), and Manu Ginobili (102) have all now also appeared in 100+ playoff games for the Spurs.

10 -- the 2008 West Finals mark the Spurs' 10th run to this level or beyond. Since the merger, only the Lakers and Pistons have appeared more times at this level; the Celtics trip to the ECF is also their 10th since the merger.

thispego
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
4 -- at the end of the 2002 playoffs, David Robinson became the first player in Spurs history to appear in 100 playoff games for the Spurs organization. After Game 7 of the New Orleans series, Tim Duncan (150), Bruce Bowen (112), Tony Parker (112), and Manu Ginobili (102) have all now also appeared in 100+ playoff games for the Spurs.

awesome!

jman3000
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
at the end of the 2002 playoffs, David Robinson became the first player in Spurs history to appear in 100 playoff games for the Spurs organization. After Game 7 of the New Orleans series, Tim Duncan (150), Bruce Bowen (112), Tony Parker (112), and Manu Ginobili (102) have all now also appeared in 100+ playoff games for the Spurs.

probably my favorite... it's amazing how seasoned tony parker is at the age of 26.

duncan228
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Fascinates me too FWD. Especially the Duncan info. His legacy is set in stone already, he's just adding to it with each Playoff game now. He continues to amaze me. I really want to see him get this repeat. I think he'll be appreciated by a wider audience after he retires, but the repeat would sure shut some haters up.

jman3000
05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Fascinates me too FWD I think he'll be appreciated by a wider audience after he retires, but the repeat would sure shut some haters up.

i and most likely tim too couldnt give 2 shits as to how the "haters feel"

Spurminator
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
124 -- The number of Playoff games it would take Tim Duncan to pass Michael Jordan for 1st on the Playoff scoring list if he averages 20 ppg during that span.

10 -- The number of Playoff games it would take Tim Duncan to pass Magic Johnson for 10th on the Playoff scoring list if he averages 20 ppg during that span.

honestfool84
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
10 -- the 2008 West Finals mark the Spurs' 10th run to this level or beyond. Since the merger, only the Lakers and Pistons have appeared more times at this level; the Celtics trip to the ECF is also their 10th since the merger.

since their merger? huh?

duncan228
05-20-2008, 05:13 PM
i and most likely tim too couldnt give 2 shits as to how the "haters feel"

I agree, Duncan probably doesn't care. But he's all about winning and we know he wants his fifth. I selfishly would like to see that fifth come this year, as a repeat. I'm a Duncan fan and I like shutting Duncan haters up. :)

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
since their merger? huh?

The NBA/ABA merger, which occurred before the 1976-77 season.

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Fascinates me too FWD. Especially the Duncan info. His legacy is set in stone already, he's just adding to it with each Playoff game now. He continues to amaze me. I really want to see him get this repeat. I think he'll be appreciated by a wider audience after he retires, but the repeat would sure shut some haters up.

We probably could make a thread that just keeps track of Timmy's standing on some of these lists and how long it might take him to pass up other legends. I still remember thinking, as late as 1998 or 1999, that no Spur would ever actually play 100+ playoff games; to see Duncan do that and half-over again is remarkable. To know that he has a few more playoff runs left in him is all the better.

I'd be all for Tim playing another 10 or so playoff games this season.

Natural Science
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
probably my favorite... it's amazing how seasoned tony parker is at the age of 26.

Expanding on Tony Parker:

39 Tony is currently the 39th all-time playoff scorer with 2,060 points. If he continues to score at the 23.7 ppg clip he is averaging this postseason for the next 4 games, he will be tied with Gary Payton for 34th at 2,155 points.

timvp
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Nice numbers.

My personal favorite number:

15 -- In the last 15 Spurs playoff games decided by less than 17 points, the Spurs are 15-0.

:wow

:smchode:

FromWayDowntown
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM
Another favorite of mine:

24 -- the Spurs have won 24 of their last 31 playoff games; the Spurs have also won 27 of their last 35.

jman3000
05-20-2008, 05:54 PM

jman3000
05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
5 is a pretty nice number too though.

TampaDude
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Last night was the 100th Game 7 ever in the NBA playoffs, and it was also Pop's 100th career playoff win. :hat

Spurs Brazil
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Great post FWD

Nice numbers.

My personal favorite number:

15 -- In the last 15 Spurs playoff games decided by less than 17 points, the Spurs are 15-0.

:wow

:smchode:

That's impressive

duncan228
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
We probably could make a thread that just keeps track of Timmy's standing on some of these lists and how long it might take him to pass up other legends. I still remember thinking, as late as 1998 or 1999, that no Spur would ever actually play 100+ playoff games; to see Duncan do that and half-over again is remarkable. To know that he has a few more playoff runs left in him is all the better.

I'd be all for Tim playing another 10 or so playoff games this season.

It would be cool to keep track of his standing. Maybe I'll keep a doc running and update it as he moves up lists.

And I'm all for Duncan playing as long as possible in these Playoffs too. The longer he plays the shorter the off-season is for me. :)

TD=old&busted
05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
5 = the number points tim had in game one vs. the Hornets, can't wait to see if he scores less than that vs. the Lakers. (Im sure sleeping on a plane, two road games, a quick turnaround between games will help)

duncan228
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
5 = the number points tim had in game one vs. the Hornets, can't wait to see if he scores less than that vs. the Lakers. (Im sure sleeping on a plane, two road games, a quick turnaround between games will help)

He had the flu. With a 103 degree fever. He's healthy now. The Lakers won't see that Duncan. He's motivated, hungry, and halfway to his fifth Title. He's surrounded by a group of guys that are battle tested. This series will be great, I don't under estimate the Lakers. Don't be a fool and under estimate Duncan or his team.

TD=old&busted
05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
He had the flu. With a 103 degree fever. He's healthy now. The Lakers won't see that Duncan. He's motivated, hungry, and halfway to his fifth Title. He's surrounded by a group of guys that are battle tested. This series will be great, I don't under estimate the Lakers. Don't be a fool and under estimate Duncan or his team.

Duncan has 3 real championships and one that deserves an asterisk. Im just glad our best player isnt over 32 and is able to get sick easily. (you better be hoping that night in the plane doesnt make flu come back even worse) Even Manu needs to visit the hair club. All our best players are in their 20's with years upon years of domination left.:wow

ShoogarBear
05-20-2008, 07:11 PM

And it just so happens those four teams are the current four finalists.

David Stern has really blown it. The NBA right now has four out of their top six all-time greatest franchises in the Conference Finals (Chicago and Philadelphia being the other two). They should be hyping the shit out of that fact. Instead the NBA office is actively cowering in the face of the possibility that it might be the Spurs and Detroit facing off at the end, instead of the Golden Children Abetted by Suspicious Trades.

Any smart basketball fan knows that Lakers vs. Spurs is the true classic modern-day rivalry, WITH RETURNING PARTICIPANTS EVEN, but the league publicists are too stupid to do that. (Yes, Boston vs. Detroit has history, but the Celtics have been irrelevant for over 15 years.)

If the League had a PR guy with a quarter of a brain, they would be marketing the shit out of old Laker/Spurs and Boston/Detroit playoff games on NBA-TV.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
All our best players are in their 20's with years upon years of domination left.:wow

Assuming no jail time is on the horizon.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
It would be cool to keep track of his standing. Maybe I'll keep a doc running and update it as he moves up lists.

And I'm all for Duncan playing as long as possible in these Playoffs too. The longer he plays the shorter the off-season is for me. :)

I'd still take an 8 game sweep, over all time lists standings...Timmy's already pouring it on already as it is...:lol

I want the championship title opportunity seized by our guys as soon and swiftly as possible.
As much as I love watching our guys play, nothing beats a championship offseason as a fan.

TD=old&busted
05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Assuming no jail time is on the horizon.

I know with the beating the Lakers will lay on the Spurs, there might be assault/criminal charges filed :wow

Avitus1
05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
I found it interesting too. Good read.

Johnny RIngo
05-20-2008, 08:18 PM
And it just so happens those four teams are the current four finalists.

David Stern has really blown it. The NBA right now has four out of their top six all-time greatest franchises in the Conference Finals (Chicago and Philadelphia being the other two). They should be hyping the shit out of that fact. Instead the NBA office is actively cowering in the face of the possibility that it might be the Spurs and Detroit facing off at the end, instead of the Golden Children Abetted by Suspicious Trades.

Any smart basketball fan knows that Lakers vs. Spurs is the true classic modern-day rivalry, WITH RETURNING PARTICIPANTS EVEN, but the league publicists are too stupid to do that. (Yes, Boston vs. Detroit has history, but the Celtics have been irrelevant for over 15 years.)

If the League had a PR guy with a quarter of a brain, they would be marketing the shit out of old Laker/Spurs and Boston/Detroit playoff games on NBA-TV.

The league doesn't know how to market team rivalries anymore. They fell into this trap during the Jordan era(less emphasis on teams and more on star players). Stern milked Jordan for all he was worth. Now he's looking for another player to carry the league but he's falling flat on his face every time. Remember the ridiculous Lebron promotions during last year's Finals? Or the Nash hype two years ago. This year it's Garnett and Kobe. Then there's the split screen player ads for the playoffs. The league(foolishly) chooses to promote the star players when there's a lot of history behind some of these teams. The only history they're interested in promoting is the same Lakers-Celtics crap that we've been hearing about for the past 20+ years.