PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap apartment in Austin, TX

Sausage
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I know there are a few people from Austin on this board, don't know if anyone can help me, but what the hell, I'm desperate.

I'm looking to move up to Austin in mid August in an apartment within walking distance of the UT/ACC college campuses. I'm looking for a good reliable apartment, but at the same time that is relatively cheap. I'm looking for something in the price range of $400-$650 a month.

If anyone can help that'd be cool, if not, I'll just look harder. :(

Avitus1
05-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Good luck.

CubanMustGo
05-20-2008, 08:02 PM
nm

Mark in Austin
05-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I haven't had to look for a place close to campus,but I hear it's pretty tough. You probably won't have much luck with the big complexes. I would recommend getting a apartment search/locator firm to help - it shouldn't cost you anything, the apartment management pays their fee.

Also, I would monitor Craig's List - it has a pretty active for rent section and you might get luck finding somebody looking to sublease, or a small owner who only has a couple units to rent.

Good luck. Rent isn't cheap 'round here.

Man of Steel
05-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Years ago, I found a great place in West Austin that was not being listed in the newspapers, but was only being offered through a listing company.

Getting an apt that close to UT Campus for that price is going to be pretty tough. It is not clear if you will have roommates and if so, is the $500 per person or the total price.

Good luck in your studies...

AND GO HORNS...BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF OU!!!!!

RandomGuy
05-21-2008, 12:00 PM
"cheap apartment" and "Austin" don't go together.

There are 100,000+ college students in a town whos metro area has about 800,000-1.2M depending on how you draw the lines.

They are building like crazy, but supply hasn't quite yet caught up with demand.

http://www.poconnor.com/article.asp?id=122

Your best bet is to find something on a bus route.

or

Get married and move into married student housing. They have a waiting list, but the apartments are safe, cheap, and very convenient to campus via the bus system. Just expect most of your neighbors to be Chinese nationals.

katyon6th
05-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Craigslist, definitely. Look under rooms/share or sublets/temporary. Living with roommates may be your best bet considering your budget and you wanting to live so close to campus.