PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford's Mock Draft

coopdogg3
05-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I know the attention is on the Lakers, but I didn't see this posted. If the Spurs get Batum, I would be stoked. Work in Ian and Tiago this year, let Batum develop a bit and then bring him over next year (when we won't have a 1st round draft pick.)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080520

Chad Ford's Mock Draft, Version 1.0: Picks 1-30
Ford

By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider
(Archive)

Updated: May 20, 2008

* Comment
* Email
* Print

The lottery results are in, and Chicago and Miami are the big winners in the Michael Beasley-Derrick Rose sweepstakes. That means it's time for our first full mock draft of 2008.

At this point, very little is set in stone. The process of team workouts has just begun. And in the next few weeks, the Orlando NBA pre-draft camp, the Reebok Eurocamp and hundreds of team workouts will dramatically alter the face of the draft. So, expect this mock draft to fluctuate greatly over the next six weeks.

But for now, here's our best stab, after talking to numerous NBA team sources, about how the draft might play out in June.

CHAD FORD'S MOCK DRAFT
PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Chicago

Michael Beasley Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 235
School: Kansas State

The skinny: This will be a very difficult choice for the Bulls.

On the one hand, Chicago has needed a low-post scorer for a long time, and Beasley fits the bill. He's also a top-notch rebounder, which would fulfill another need for the Bulls.

However, Rose, a Chicago native, would be a major upgrade over Kirk Hinrich. His strength and athleticism could really ignite the Bulls' offense.

For the moment, we're putting Beasley here because he's the best fit.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Miami

Derrick Rose Position: PG
Height: 6-3
Weight: 205
School: Memphis

The skinny: The Heat are big winners, too. They don't get the No. 1 pick, but they do get their favorite player in the draft. A Rose-Wade backcourt should be awesome.

But if the Bulls select Rose No. 1, the word on the street is that the Heat might be willing to deal the pick. While Beasley would be an upgrade over Udonis Haslem, it sounds like the Heat aren't sold.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Minnesota

Brook Lopez Position: C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 260
School: Stanford

The skinny: If the team drafts for need, Lopez will be the guy. The Wolves really need another big to help out Al Jefferson in the post, and Lopez should be a good fit.

But don't count out Danilo Gallinari, who could be the surprise pick here. The team also needs a small forward like Gallinari who can be a facilitator in the offense. His basketball IQ could make him an immediate contributor.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Seattle

Jerryd Bayless Position: PG
Weight: 190
School: Arizona

The skinny: The Sonics fell the furthest of any team in the draft, slipping from No. 2 to No. 4. Call it bad karma for leaving the fans of Seattle.

While the team would have loved to have had a shot at Rose, Bayless should be a very good fit for Seattle. His up-tempo game and excellent shooting ability would give the Sonics a potent weapon to pair with Kevin Durant.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Memphis

O.J. Mayo Position: SG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 195
School: USC

The skinny: The Grizzlies need a power forward. But although they do have a glut of guards, they also could use a guard with the strength, scoring prowess and star quality of Mayo. Team him with Rudy Gay and Mike Conley, and the Grizzlies are a big man away from having a bright future again.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

New York

Danilo Gallinari Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 212

The skinny: Rose was the Knicks' primary target, but with Gallinari, new head coach Mike D'Antoni lands the perfect weapon for his new team: a 6-10 point forward who knows how to think the game. D'Antoni played with Gallinari's father in the Italian League for eight years and knows how good the versatile Italian forward really is.

It might not be a popular pick in New York, but D'Antoni will make it work.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

L.A. Clippers

Russell Westbrook Position: PG
Weight: 189
School: UCLA

The skinny: The Clippers are sweet on Danilo Gallinari and O.J. Mayo, but it looks like neither will be here at No. 7.

Look for the Clippers to make a tough choice between Westbrook and Eric Gordon. Gordon is a polished scorer and shooter, but L.A. really needs a point guard and some perimeter defense, and Westbrook looks like the better fit.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Milwaukee

Eric Gordon Position: SG
Weight: 215
School: Indiana

The skinny: Milwaukee could go in a lot of different directions. Its biggest need is at small forward, but this may be too high to draft Joe Alexander or Donte Greene. With the Bucks expected to be active on the trade market this summer, they can draft the best available player and then work things out later.

Gordon is a dynamic scorer who could free up the Bucks to trade Michael Redd.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Charlotte

Kevin Love Position: PF
Weight: 275
School: UCLA

The skinny: Larry Brown loves guys who "play the right way." And Love is as fundamentally sound as anyone in the draft.

But after the Adam Morrison debacle, will they really draft another college guy noted for his lack of athleticism?

Anthony Randolph and DeAndre Jordan are other possibilities here.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

New Jersey

Anthony Randolph Position: PF
Height: 6-11
Weight: 220
School: LSU

The skinny: The Nets have lacked a super-athletic 4 since Kenyon Martin walked out the door. Randolph has been compared to a young Chris Bosh by some scouts. His combination of length and athleticism is exciting, but he has to get stronger and improve his perimeter game.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Indiana

D.J. Augustin Position: PG
Height: 6-0
Weight: 180
School: Texas

The skinny: The Pacers need a long-term replacement for Jamaal Tinsley, and they are crossing their fingers that either Augustin or Westbrook is still on the board when they pick. Of the two, Augustin is probably the better fit in Jim O'Brien's system.

Augustin is an excellent floor leader and can really shoot the basketball. Another bonus for Pacers fans is that he is an excellent character guy.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Sacramento

Darrell Arthur Position: PF
Weight: 225
School: Kansas

The skinny: The Kings are hoping that either Augustin or Westbrook falls into their laps. However, if they're not available, Sacramento will likely have to make a tough choice between a number of power forwards.

Of the group, Arthur has the greatest upside as an athlete and a scorer. But he's going to have to improve his rebounding to really make it in the league.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Portland

Joe Alexander Position: SF
Height: 6-8
School: West Virginia

The skinny: Alexander could be the sleeper of the draft. His combination of size, athleticism and shooting ability has GMs drooling right now. He's still learning the game, but on a team like the Blazers, his versatility could be an immediate asset.

Donte Greene is also a possibility here.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Golden State

DeAndre Jordan Position: C
Weight: 255
School: Texas A&M

The skinny: At some point you just draft talent. The Warriors don't have a huge need in the middle, but Jordan's too talented to let slip any further. He has the body and athletic skills of Dwight Howard. But his lack of motivation is scaring a lot of GMs away right now.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Phoenix
(via Atlanta)

Donte Greene Position: SF
Weight: 225
School: Syracuse

The skinny: Greene is a steal if he slips this far. He has the potential to be a Shawn Marion-type combo forward in the pros. While his game is still raw, he has great length and athleticism and an emerging perimeter game.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Philadelphia

Marreese Speights Position: C
Weight: 245
School: Florida

The skinny: The Sixers are still looking for a low-post banger. If they can't get Elton Brand this summer, they'll have to seriously consider Speights. Speights does a lot of the same things Brand does, though he doesn't have the same conditioning or drive yet.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Toronto

Robin Lopez Position: C
Weight: 245
School: Stanford

The skinny: Lopez is drawing a lot of comparisons to Anderson Varejao. On a team that needs toughness and rebounding in the middle, he should be a great fit. He's kind of the anti-Andrea Bargnani.

PICK

Washington

JaVale McGee Position: PF
Weight: 237
School: Nevada

The skinny: McGee is another wildcard. Long, athletic and skilled, he has huge upside and can fly up and down the court. But his thin frame and lack of position mean he's a few years away from contributing.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Cleveland

Kosta Koufos Position: C
Weight: 265
School: Ohio State

The skinny: If Koufos slips this far, it will be tough for the Cavs to pass on him. He's a very skilled big man who gets up and down the floor really well.

Some scouts compare him to a young Zydrunas Ilgauskas. He needs to get stronger, but he's got great upside for a pick this low in the draft.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Denver

Ty Lawson Position: PG
Height: 5-11
School: North Carolina

The skinny: The Nuggets need a floor leader who can push the ball up and down the floor. While Lawson has his weaknesses, he should be an excellent fit in George Karl's up-tempo system.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

New Jersey
(via Dallas)

Chase Budinger Position: SG
Height: 6-7
School: Arizona

The skinny: Budinger could easily be a late lottery pick, but he could also slip. Teams love his size and shooting ability but worry a bit about his lack of aggressiveness and defense. At this point in the draft, the Nets will be glad to take the risk.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Orlando

Brandon Rush Position: SG
Height: 6-7
School: Kansas

The skinny: There's quite a bit of buzz over Rush at the moment. He's got the size, athleticism and shooting ability needed to excel as an NBA 2-guard. He is also an excellent defender and should be ready to step in and contribute right away. He's a perfect fit for Orlando.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Utah

Roy Hibbert Position: C
Height: 7-2
Weight: 275
School: Georgetown

The skinny: Is there a better fit for Hibbert than Utah? He needs a team that excels in half-court sets. His size and scoring ability make him an asset as long, as you don't ask him to run the floor or play 40 minutes a game.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Seattle
(via Phoenix)

Serge Ibaka Position: PF

The skinny: Expect Sonics GM Sam Presti to use a trick or two from his days in San Antonio and look internationally with his second pick. Ibaka has the talent to be a potential lottery pick someday, but he's still very raw. The Sonics can leave him over in Spain and reap the benefits down the road.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Houston

J. J. Hickson Position: PF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 240
School: NC State

The skinny: The Rockets got a big boost from rookie Luis Scola this season, but they could still use another strong, bruising power forward like Hickson. He's not ready for the NBA yet, but the Rockets can afford to develop him.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

San Antonio

Nicolas Batum Position: SF
Weight: 210

The skinny: This low in the draft, the Spurs almost always look to the future, and I expect them to do it again. Batum has a lot of talent, but he needs more time in France to develop it. In a couple of years, San Antonio will look really smart.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

New Orleans

Bill Walker Position: SF
Height: 6-6
Weight: 235
School: Kansas State

The skinny: Walker could be a major coup for the Hornets if he's still on the board here. A year and a half ago, teams were talking about him as a top-5 pick. An ACL injury stopped that talk, but sources say his weight is finally down and his explosiveness is back. He and Chris Paul could make for a dynamite backcourt if Walker plays 2-guard.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Memphis

Nathan Jawai Position: PF
Weight: 270

The skinny: The Grizzlies need a power forward with some real power, and Jawai has that in abundance. He's coming off a big year in Australia, and his game resembles Elton Brand's a little. At this point in the draft, he's worth the risk.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Detroit

Chris Douglas-Roberts Position: SG
Height: 6-6
School: Memphis

The skinny: The Pistons thrive on getting players who don't get the respect they probably deserve. Adding CDR as a reserve who can play the 2 and 3 and provide some scoring off the bench seems like a steal here.

PICK

TEAM

PLAYER

VITALS

Boston

Ante Tomic Position: C
Height: 7-2
Weight: 237
School: Croatia

The skinny: The Celtics don't need rookies right now, and Tomic is stuck in a contract for the next few years overseas. They can afford to let him develop and hope in a few years he can be a building block.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

SPARKY
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
San Antonio

Nicolas Batum Position: SF
Weight: 210

The skinny: This low in the draft, the Spurs almost always look to the future, and I expect them to do it again. Batum has a lot of talent, but he needs more time in France to develop it. In a couple of years, San Antonio will look really smart.

Because they don't already with late round French picks.

SPARKY
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Maybe the Spurs shock us and go domestic in the 1st round.

On second thought, I hope not.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Draft-n-Stash on autopilot even in the predictions now.

tmtcsc
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeah...uh Chad, if you're guessing it, we aren't doing it.

Mr. Body
05-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I've not seen Batum that low in mocks yet, but Joe Alexander is rising fast and Budinger may take his earlier spot, too. Time was, Batum closely followed Galinari at the SF position, but questions about his passiveness abound. Still, if he falls to us, he'd be a good pick.

tmtcsc
05-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Has anybody guessed our picks correctly in the last 10 years ? Duncan was probably the last time.

Mr. Body
05-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Has anybody guessed our picks correctly in the last 10 years ? Duncan was probably the last time.

1) Picks that late are almost impossible to guess, unless word of a promise has come out.

2) The Spurs keep their cards close to their chest.

3) But, we know what kinds of players the Spurs like and what positions they need.

4) We can get a sense of who they may be looking at.

5) It's still fine to discuss it.

SPARKY
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Spurs may have some interest in Casspi at #26.

SPARKY
05-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Bill Walker at 26 would be a bit of a reach. If he's around at 47 he might be worth it.

Russ
05-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Batum sounds good. But it would seem that the Spurs need to find a replacement for the Finley/Barry tandem -- they have plenty of young bigs stashed away.

SPARKY
05-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Rodrigue Beaubois (http://nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/rodriguebeaubois.html) perhaps in the 2nd round.

SpursFan0728
05-20-2008, 11:46 PM
I'll be in shock if we get him

I even hear raptors fans wanting him -_-

tmtcsc
05-20-2008, 11:47 PM
1) Picks that late are almost impossible to guess, unless word of a promise has come out.

2) The Spurs keep their cards close to their chest.

3) But, we know what kinds of players the Spurs like and what positions they need.

4) We can get a sense of who they may be looking at.

5) It's still fine to discuss it.

Agreed. I just gave up trying to guess a long time ago. Ian Mahinmi ? Forget about it.

Mr. Body
05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
If Batum fell it would be the second year in a row of getting a lottery-potential foreign player because too many teams either wanted immediate production or fell in love with 'their player'. Splitter never should have lasted that long.

That said, I doubt Batum is around. If he is, the Spurs would be hard-pressed not to take him.

pad300
05-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Given the scenario that Chad layed out, I would take Walker in the Spurs place. That would leave them with
Bigs - Bonner, Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter, FA (Likely Thomas resigned with Bird Rights)
Wings - Ginobili, Barry, Bowen, Udoka, Walker, MLE FA
PGs - Parker, Vaughn (He has a player option for another year, which I suspect he will take), 2nd round pick or FA for the LLE

Picking Batum to leave him in Europe puts them into a weaker position, as they will be forced to either go for a player for the minimum or split the MLE. If they intend to offer a short contract (in accordance with the Major rebuild in 2010 scenario), splitting the MLE would leave them very short of leverage...

mystargtr34
05-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Brandon Rush might be nice there, but i doubt Batum or Rush will be at 26.

Ariel
05-21-2008, 12:16 AM
This kid's been projected as a lottery pick pretty much since forever, I could have sworn not too long ago (a year or so) I even saw him going no. 1 in some mock drafts, and even now he's at worst projected to go 10 spots earlier than we pick. So my question is, did something happen that his stock plummeted, or is Chad Ford on drugs?

Mr. Body
05-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Given the scenario that Chad layed out, I would take Walker in the Spurs place. That would leave them with
Bigs - Bonner, Duncan, Oberto, Mahinmi, Splitter, FA (Likely Thomas resigned with Bird Rights)
Wings - Ginobili, Barry, Bowen, Udoka, Walker, MLE FA
PGs - Parker, Vaughn (He has a player option for another year, which I suspect he will take), 2nd round pick or FA for the LLE

Picking Batum to leave him in Europe puts them into a weaker position, as they will be forced to either go for a player for the minimum or split the MLE. If they intend to offer a short contract (in accordance with the Major rebuild in 2010 scenario), splitting the MLE would leave them very short of leverage...

AFAIK there's no reason Batum has to stay over in Europe, although it's an option. I don't know about any buy-outs.

Bill Walker is strictly a second rounder, to me. I don't get the appeal, especially with his attitude. He doesn't seem to be a Spurs player. He'll never be the player Batum is right now, given Batum's flaws. Given Ford's board, and if Batum weren't available, I'd look to Courtney Lee, JR Giddens, or for a back-up point.

Mr. Body
05-21-2008, 12:20 AM
So my question is, did something happen that his stock plummeted, or is Chad Ford on drugs?

Chad Ford is on drugs. Or published his draft mock draft.

PlayoffEx-static
05-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Love will be a huge lottery bust?

pad300
05-21-2008, 12:38 AM
AFAIK there's no reason Batum has to stay over in Europe, although it's an option. I don't know about any buy-outs.

Bill Walker is strictly a second rounder, to me. I don't get the appeal, especially with his attitude. He doesn't seem to be a Spurs player. He'll never be the player Batum is right now, given Batum's flaws. Given Ford's board, and if Batum weren't available, I'd look to Courtney Lee, JR Giddens, or for a back-up point.

I think you're seriously underestimating young Mr. Walker. He's shown a freakish level of athleticism and body strength. He's shown a willingness to commit to putting effort in on D. He's only 20 years old. He's shown flashes of a jumpshot and midrange game. He is a devestating slasher who can get to the hoop. He also rebounds strongly... His game is not very polished, but there's very little wrong with it. He's also shown significant mental toughness, coming back from significant injuries, and he raised his game in the NCAA tournament at crunch time for his team... His attitude problems appear no worse than those of SJAX, and he was really useful...

Also, Batum is, IMO, not ready to come to the NBA now. Bill Walker could survive limited minutes and develop as he went.

wildbill2u
05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Spurs may have some interest in Casspi at #26.

I agree. Spurs like to go overseas with a low first round position pick to save immediate dollars.

Batum probably won't fall that far and Casspi is the next project from overseas on the charts that would fit.

Mr. Body
05-21-2008, 12:55 AM
pad, if Bill Walker turns out to be anything like a decent bench player and the Spurs have picked him, I will be happy. But I doubt the first will happen and the second has something like a negative ratio.

Freeze
05-21-2008, 01:31 AM
Few days ago Batum said in french newspaper that he has 2 options for next year : either playing one more year in a good Euroleague team (in Spain, Italy or Greece), either comming in NBA. Then He said he's made his decision and he now wants to join NBA next year.

SenorSpur
05-21-2008, 01:40 AM
I like the Batum pick. But I'm praying Brandon Rush somehow falls to the Spurs. I know, I know. It's likely not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

mathbzh
05-21-2008, 02:55 AM
If we get Batum it is a steal.
This kid as amazing talent on both end of the court.

I really don't understand how the stocks works in the mock drafts.
Last season Batum had one good game at the nike hoop summit and became a potential top 5 pick and now after a good season he falls at the end of the first round. This is quiet stupid.
Batum as struggled earlier this season but he still has this amazing potential.
Yes he is sometime passive and was not ready to be a leader for Le Mans in Euroleague, but he is the best player in the best team in the french league.
What more can you expect from a 19 yo kid playing at a pro level?

12 ppg / 5rpg / 4 apg / 1 spg / 1 bpg in 29 minutes shooting 51 %FG (35 %3Pt) is not enough? What was he supposed to do?

One more fact, this season Le Mans is #1 in Pro A, in games against the teams #2 to #5, Batum stats are: 15.5 ppg/6.3 rpg/4.1 apg/1.1bpg/1.3apg
Actually he had all his off games against poor teams.

In a couple of years, San Antonio will look really smart.

If it happens, I would just say other teams look really stupid (how many players picked in the late lottery have an immediate impact for their team?).

mathbzh
05-21-2008, 02:59 AM
Few days ago Batum said in french newspaper that he has 2 options for next year : either playing one more year in a good Euroleague team (in Spain, Italy or Greece), either comming in NBA. Then He said he's made his decision and he now wants to join NBA next year.

He also said it on TV (he wants to join the NBA). I think he should stay one more year in Europe.

Bruno
05-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Batum at 26 will be huge steal. I just don't see how a talented player like him could drop that low.
If Spurs wants him, they will have to move up. Denver is said to be looking for money, could they do a trade with Spurs like #26+$3M in cash for #20 ?

The only way I see Batum dropping is if teams decides to draft by need and not the best player available. Batum is a SF and just look at what teams have at SF:
#18 : Wizards -> Butler
#19 : Cavs -> Lebron
#20 : Nuggets -> Melo, Kleiza
#21 : Nets -> Jefferson
#22 : Magic -> Turkoglu, Lewis
#23 : Jazz -> Kirilenko, Korver, Harpring
#24 : Sonics -> Durant, Green
#25 : Rockets -> Battier, MacGrady

All these teams have a long term answer at SF. Batum won't fill a need for them.

objective
05-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Batum at 26 will be huge steal. I just don't see how a talented player like him could drop that low.
If Spurs wants him, they will have to move up. Denver is said to be looking for money, could they do a trade with Spurs like #26+$3M in cash for #20 ?

I don't think the Spurs would even pay $300,000 for any pick, can't see them dropping 3 million.

I don't even see how Ford has him this low.

I haven't seen a mock yet that had him lower than 17, but now late 20s?

BTW

Has Claver pulled out? I still don't see him listed in mocks even though his name was on the early entrant list.

Bruno
05-21-2008, 04:35 AM
BTW

Has Claver pulled out? I still don't see him listed in mocks even though his name was on the early entrant list.

AFAIK, he is still in. He has no reason to pull out that far from the withdraw deadline. Mock drafts haven't listed his name because they think that he will likely pull out just before the deadline. He should just try to draw some attention from NBA team on him for the future.

In the likely case, Batum doesn't slip at 26, I hope Spurs will draft Zach Feinstein. This guy will be a stud.

thekingrobert
05-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Batum would be a steal but i'm hoping Finley retires Barry starts and we draft Richard Roby Brandon Rush or Courtney Lee

MI21
05-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Nathan Jawai Position: PF
Weight: 270

The skinny: The Grizzlies need a power forward with some real power, and Jawai has that in abundance. He's coming off a big year in Australia, and his game resembles Elton Brand's a little. At this point in the draft, he's worth the risk.

Chad Ford has always been terrible with his hyping of overseas players. Jawai plays nothing, I repeat, nothing like Brand. More like Eddy Curry...

AFBlue
05-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Let's give Chad Ford a break, because the draft is still a ways out and this is his first one. Hell, no teams have even seen these players in a workout. I COULD see a scenario where Batum slips...but it's not likely.

I'd fully expect Batum to get picked up in the late teens to early twenties when all is said an done.

Someone mentioned Casspi and I could definitely see that as a more likely scenario.

manufor3
05-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Lopez #3????

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-21-2008, 07:03 AM
In the likely case, Batum doesn't slip at 26, I hope Spurs will draft Zach Feinstein. This guy will be a stud.

Care to give us the downlow on this Feinstein fellow?

SPARKY
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Care to give us the downlow on this Feinstein fellow?

The internets are your friends.

K-State Spur
05-21-2008, 09:11 AM
I think you're seriously underestimating young Mr. Walker. He's shown a freakish level of athleticism and body strength. He's shown a willingness to commit to putting effort in on D. He's only 20 years old. He's shown flashes of a jumpshot and midrange game. He is a devestating slasher who can get to the hoop. He also rebounds strongly... His game is not very polished, but there's very little wrong with it. He's also shown significant mental toughness, coming back from significant injuries, and he raised his game in the NCAA tournament at crunch time for his team... His attitude problems appear no worse than those of SJAX, and he was really useful...

Also, Batum is, IMO, not ready to come to the NBA now. Bill Walker could survive limited minutes and develop as he went.

listen, i like bill a lot and hope he drops out of the draft and returns to KSU.

that said, i think it's fair to say I've probably watched him more than anybody else on this board. you have some misconceptions.

he's never shown a willingness to commit to defense. his mid-range game is virtually non-existent. and he really only takes the ball to the rim when he is guarded by a big out on the perimeter. the vast majority of his damage was done on the low block where he is typically only guarded by 6'7 guys in the big 12.

i think he'll improve on all of those aspects. but as of today, your analysis is simply not true.

yavozerb
05-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Look for a number of this year's lottery picks to be for sale the next few months. Numerous sources have said that the Heat, Timberwolves, Sonics, Knicks, Clippers, Bucks, Bobcats, Nets and Blazers are all open to trading their picks if the right deal came along.

Teams like the Wolves, Sonics, Bucks, Bobcats and Blazers are already loaded with young players. What they need are veterans who can add leadership and depth. Teams like the Heat, Knicks, Clippers and Nets seem to be focused on winning now.

While everyone agrees that the draft is deep and talented, only Rose and Beasley are considered superstar material. The rest of the players in the draft are considered good prospects, but not the type of players who can quickly turn the fortunes of a team.

• If I'm Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, I'm really sweating losing LeBron James in two years. Nets co-owner Jay-Z was at the draft lottery and Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant and Rudy Gay were absolutely mesmerized by the guy. We know LeBron is a big fan as well and if the Nets can get under the cap and use Jay-Z as a pitch man -- he could very well become one of the most powerful owners in the league.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

mathbzh
05-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Also, Batum is, IMO, not ready to come to the NBA now.

I agree Batum is not completely ready to come to the NBA now.
I would prefer if he stays one more year in Europe.

But do you really believe that all these 18 to 19 yo players listed in this mock draft are more ready than he is?

Extra Stout
05-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I doubt the Spurs keep this draft pick. I bet they use it as bait to dump Matt Bonner and get a second-round pick in return.

yavozerb
05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Possible Bonner and their #1 to move up to early 20's

BradLohaus
05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Memphis

O.J. Mayo Position: SG
School: USC

The skinny: The Grizzlies need a power forward. But although they do have a glut of guards, they also could use a guard with the strength, scoring prowess and star quality of Mayo. Team him with Rudy Gay and Mike Conley, and the Grizzlies are a big man away from having a bright future again.

:lol yeah, a Pau Gasol type would fit well...

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Why would anyone want Matt Bonner?

Holt's Cat
05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I doubt the Spurs keep this draft pick. I bet they use it as bait to dump Matt Bonner and get a second-round pick in return.

Sadly I think that's where they are headed.

jag
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Batum would be amazing...but there's no way he slips that far in the draft. I didn't think Splitter would slip as far as he did either, but there's just no way.

Freeze
05-22-2008, 06:59 AM
Batum' stats last night in 1st round playoff :
24min, 11pts (5/8FG's, 1/1 3PT's), 7reb, 9 ast

Le Mans outplayed Cholet by 20.
Nando de Colo's stats :
31min, 14pts (5/14FG's, 2/5 3PT's), 3reb, 3 ast

mathbzh
05-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Batum' stats last night in 1st round playoff :
24min, 11pts (5/8FG's, 1/1 3PT's), 7reb, 9 ast

Le Mans outplayed Cholet by 20.
Nando de Colo's stats :
31min, 14pts (5/14FG's, 2/5 3PT's), 3reb, 3 ast

highlights from this game:

http://www.msb.fr/videos/3765.wmv

Batum is #5 in blue/violet
De Colo is #12 in red.

SenorSpur
05-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Batum would be amazing...but there's no way he slips that far in the draft. I didn't think Splitter would slip as far as he did either, but there's just no way.

Good point.

Hell, I'm even wishing, hoping, and praying that somehow Brandon Rush will fall to us. However, I don't expect him to get past Orlando @ pick #22.

pad300
05-22-2008, 09:43 AM

Can't. The CBA won't allow you to trade away 1st round picks such as to lead to a situation where you don't have a 1st for 2 consecutive years. We have already traded away our 2009 1st. To make something like this work, we either have to make an arrangement to pick a player for another team, and then trade the rights to that player + Matt Bonner, or we have to arrange to get another 08 or 09 1st either as part of the deal or in a separate deal beforehand...

200 miles
05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
if only Russell Westbrook would still be around at pick #26.....