PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' Success Hinges On Whether Bowen Can Keep Clamps On Bryant

duncan228
05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052108.12E.BKNspurs.bowen.1307031f.html

Spurs' success hinges on whether Bowen can keep clamps on Bryant
By Mike Monroe

LOS ANGELES — One of the most difficult playoff series of the Spurs’ championship era was less than an hour behind him, but Bruce Bowen, the Spurs’ defensive stopper extraordinaire, already was thinking about what lay ahead in the Western Conference finals.
“Kobe,” Bowen said. “Kobe, Kobe.”

As he offered his first thoughts about the challenge that awaits him against Kobe Bryant, the recently crowned MVP, a tiny smile worked its way from the corner of Bowen’s mouth until his eyes widened and his voice rose.

“We’re going to play as hard as we can against each other,” he said, “but nobody is going to be giving ground.”

A student of defense who keeps a dossier on the league’s best perimeter scorers, Bowen’s “book” on Bryant is like a referenced volume.

There are no entries, however, about bitter complaints from Bryant about Bowen’s defensive tactics. That is because Bryant never has accused Bowen of dirty play, unlike such stars as Ray Allen, Vince Carter and Amare Stoudemire.

“It’s funny,” Bowen said. “I think it’s because of the respect he and I have for one another, as far as competitors. It’s just a situation where at times, we’ve just had to say, ‘Hey, OK, this guy just does a really great job of this.’

“It’s about respecting one another’s craft. I have a great deal of respect for his craft, and I think he has a great amount of respect for mine. When we come together, it’s just about playing to the best of your ability. It’s kind of like old times, where you just play for the fun of it.”

Bryant said he always looks forward to his duels with Bowen but promised not to get caught up in the one-on-one matchup.

“It will be fun,” Bryant said. “He’s a great defender, and they’re a great defensive team. But for me, it’s about making sure my teammates get involved and executing and moving the ball. That’s how you beat a great defensive team like San Antonio: move the ball.”

Without question, the Bowen-Bryant matchup will demand much of the media focus of the series. In the interview room after the Spurs eliminated the Hornets, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was asked about facing the Lakers. His initial response was about one player: Bryant.

“As we all know,” Popovich said, “Kobe’s the greatest player on the planet, and not just because he was MVP this year. He just is. He’s a tough cover, and between now and Wednesday, we’ll try to put a game plan together so we can go out there and play as well as we possibly can.”

Bowen, of course, will be an enormous part of that plan. His ability to keep Bryant from imposing his will with games on the line will be vital to the Spurs’ chances to win the series.

Bowen will study tapes of Bryant’s play during the Lakers’ playoff run and go back over notes from his past matchups with a player for whom he has the highest regard.

He also understands there is no way to prepare for everything he will see from Bryant during Game 1 at Staples Center.

“I know quite a bit about him,” Bowen said, “but when the ball goes up in the air, all that goes out the window. Sometimes, things tend to work out that way, and he improvises really well on the court.”

Bowen has defended Bryant only once since the Lakers acquired center Pau Gasol in February. Gasol’s post presence in coach Phil Jackson’s triangle offense demands the attention of the Spurs’ big men. The net effect for Bowen: less help dealing with Bryant.

“It creates another lane for him to drive,” Bowen said. “When Kobe had Shaq (O’Neal), he was doing big things because Shaq would occupy certain guys. Pau has that type of ability to create certain matchups and draw attention to himself, where Kobe is able to go free on top.”

Brutalis
05-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Nobody is stopping Kobe in this series. He will get his numbers. However I do believe Bowen can get into a jive and shut him down just temporarily however. More than anyone else can speak of or LakerFan to give credit to.

peskypesky
05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Kobe will be BOWENED!

dbreiden83080
05-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Kobe will do his thing, if the big 3 play like they can and the D is there we will win.

honestfool84
05-21-2008, 12:19 AM
oh, i love how kobe respects bowen.

pawe
05-21-2008, 12:22 AM
I trust Bowen. He knows Kobe's game and he knows how to stop him..the problem is Kobe still finds a way to get his. I just hope the fatigue in finding a shot against bowen would wear him out a lil bit. KT on Gasol is also a good matchup.

Man of Steel
05-21-2008, 02:21 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/clark101857/lakers_spurs_basketball_400.jpg

Brox6
05-21-2008, 02:27 AM
First Bowen on Nash then Bowen on CP3 and Bowen on Peja...now Bowen on KB24..

Bowen for MVP...

Amuseddaysleeper
05-21-2008, 02:29 AM
I don't know if I agree with the title of this article.

I think the Spurs success hinges a lot more on who decides to show up aside from the big 3.

The superstars will always be superstars, but it's gonna be the bench that decides which team will advance.

ChumpDumper
05-21-2008, 02:57 AM
If it's anything like it was during Bowen's DPOY year, we're in trouble.