PDA

View Full Version : Step in Coach Pop's Shoes

Deuces88
05-21-2008, 07:20 AM
If you were Coach Pop, how would you start off this series?

My adjustments would be:

STARTING LINEUP
PG - Tony Parker (obv)
SG - Manu Ginobili (obv)
SF - Bruce Bowen (obv)
PF - Tim Duncan (obv)
C - Fabricio Oberto

Now from this starting line-up, I'd want to watch the Oberto-Odom match-up very closely. I want to see how Oberto is doing on Odom and if he will truly be a liability on defense (committing fouls). Either way, I will have Udoka and Thomas there more.

I want Kurt Thomas to have the most time guarding Odom. From watching him in the Hornets series, Kurt Thomas was good at limited West. He was able to stay in front of West (denying the driving lane) and being big and long enough to affect West's shot. However, West was defended by Oberto most of the time and he can easily get past Oberto. This is because Thomas likes to commit silly fouls (not necessarily on West) to get him into foul trouble and limit his play. This is why I don't start Thomas. I will probably get him in halfway through the 1st quarter. The way he was able to stay in front of West, I'm sure he can do the same to Odom. I want Thomas to defend Odom as much as possible throughout the game, so I don't want him to rack up the fouls early.

Udoka is turning out to be not only a solid defender, but a reliable 3-point shooter. During the Hornets series, he was more consistent than Bowen at hitting the open 3. Sometime during the series, I would try to see how Udoka can handle Kobe. We don't need to stop Kobe. I just want to see if he can disrupt Kobe's comfort zone the way Bowen can. He can at least go on Odom, if Thomas is in trouble, to force Odom to be a jump-shooter.

I also will look to see how often Lakers will double team Duncan and if Kobe will be defending Manu. If they are not going to double Duncan or if they are going to do a soft double-team, then you better believe I am going to have every offensive play run through Duncan. If Kobe is the one guarding Manu, I will encourage Manu to slash and try to get Kobe into foul trouble. Kobe in foul trouble would be a huge knock on the Lakers' offense.

Parker vs Fisher will be interesting to watch. Neither can stop the other, but Fisher won't score as much as Parker. I guess that's best we can ask for in that match-up. Knowing Parker's tendencies, he probably won't get Fisher into foul trouble.

With Bowen, his job is simple on each end. On defense, make Kobe's day f*cking bad. Bowen has what I call "Molestation Defense," because at the end of the day, you feel so violated you can't look at yourself in the mirror. I either want Kobe's points limited or have him take the bulk of the team's shot attempts. On the offensive end, Bowen is there to shoot the open corner 3's. Too many times in the Hornets series, Bowen put the ball to the floor to drive and take a shot. It always ended up with the Hornets getting the ball. He needs to realize that he's not there to create his own shot or even dribble. The only time I want to see Bowen dribble is if he got a steal and he's going on a fast break (I don't want him to try to score, though :hat). Otherwise, it's just shoot and corner 3 or pass the ball.

For Barry and Finley, their job is simple. When they come in, I expect them to just shoot the open jumper and shoot foul shots (if the game is close at the end and each team is intentionally fouling). Horry's job is also simple. He comes in to shoot the open 3 and maybe break Kobe's arm (jk :lol).

That's all I can come up with at this stage. This may be revised after watching game 1.

mrspurs
05-21-2008, 07:51 AM
at least unlike the professional writers, who get paid....this one had something of interest...something that isnt the same ole, same ole....they should hire ya for the sa express news......cos they got boring writers.....go spurs go

naico
05-21-2008, 07:54 AM
No, put Kurt on Gasol..He has the defensive tools, to really limit a guy like Gasol on defense.

KT on Odom? Are you kidding me???

G-Nob
05-21-2008, 08:27 AM
The problem is the Lakers starting five score all of their points. Unlike us, where the big three do the leg work. I think Thomas comes off the bench to tangle with Turiaf. Turiaf can get a bunch of boards on you in a hurry of you don't stay with him.

Start oberto and get your passing game going offensively. Make odom a scorer outside the paint and for pete's sake, don't get outhussled.

Lakers love to run high screen n roll w/ kobe and gasol. I think you have to take the defensive approach you would with the suns, there.

They also like to post up gasol. You have to hope duncan guards him one on one because he's capable of finding Radmon and Fisher up top and in the corners.

Defensively, Kobe is manu. He will roam the floor when he's not on ginobili and duncan must be aware of kobe coming up from behind him when timmy posts up.