PDA

View Full Version : From Romania to SA

lileasy
05-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi there!

I'm browsing this forums forever but i never got the courage to start speaking (for stupid reasons) but now i'm in US , for my first time and half of my motivation to come here , other than visit some friends, was to get a chance to see my boys playing (and in playoff, nevertheless)!

So here i am, with my buddy, a romanian guy that lives in Chicago, we bought plane tickets to arrive ths sunday in SA and we bought game tickets for games 3 and 4 (from stubhub.com).

we plan to rent a car for the 3-4 days of our stay and , of course, find a decent hotel. Right now we were thinking to reserve some hotel near Riverwalk, in the 50-100$ per night area... i don't know if is a good ideea or if it's close to thee arena...
What would be your advice, San Antonians? Where to stay and what to visit in these 3-4 days?

Thanks in advance and hope to meet some of you, if there is some GTG between snday and wednsday!

Sense
05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi there!

I'm browsing this forums forever but i never got the courage to start speaking (for stupid reasons) but now i'm in US , for my first time and half of my motivation to come here , other than visit some friends, was to get a chance to see my boys playing (and in playoff, nevertheless)!

So here i am, with my buddy, a romanian guy that lives in Chicago, we bought plane tickets to arrive ths sunday in SA and we bought game tickets for games 3 and 4 (from stubhub.com).

we plan to rent a car for the 3-4 days of our stay and , of course, find a decent hotel. Right now we were thinking to reserve some hotel near Riverwalk, in the 50-100$ per night area... i don't know if is a good ideea or if it's close to thee arena...
What would be your advice, San Antonians? Where to stay and what to visit in these 3-4 days?

Thanks in advance and hope to meet some of you, if there is some GTG between snday and wednsday!
Welcome to the forum...

Now I'm not from San Antonio... but I'm going to have to say Good Luck on the 50-100 dollar per night hotels near the Riverwalk... especially during playoff season... especially against the Lakers.

Slomo
05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
The area around the arena is not a good place to stay. But since you'll have a car it's not a problem, access to the at&t center is easy by car (actually that's true for any destination in SA).

On that budget staying downtown is probably not realistic, but regardless where you stay make sure you go see the riverwalk and spend an evening downtown.

GTGs are usually during away games, since your in town for the Spurs home games you can meet some of the people from the forum at the arena (typically during halftime). Hopefully people going to the game will post here or in the Spurs forum and confirm whether they're meeting at halftime.

marini martini
05-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Welcome to S.A.! and Spurs Talk. There's a cool Hotel in that price range on E. Houston, East of 37 across from the train Depot. Damn can't think of the name! If you stay there, the green trolley bus will come by, and take you on 3 different routes in and around downtown, for real cheap. Save your stub & ride all day. Will get you familiar with downtown, ie: riverwalk, market square, Alamo, La Villita, Kinq William, Blue star art complex, Hemisfair, Hemisfair tower, to name a few. If you go to Market Square please go to the Smithsonian Latino Cultural Museum right on the corner, and be sure to go to MiTierra for a margarita & nachos! Have fun. don't carry a purse, talk to strangers:toast

El Guapo
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
welcome to san antonio amigo! if you see this tshirt at the store, BUY IT pendejo!

http://shirtofun.com/www.shirtofun.com/shirtofun/nfoscomm/catalog/images/You-are-my-friend.gif

also be sure not to not miss out on all the after parties at the alazon apache courts after the game! write it down, you might forget! :sombrero:

Sweetie Pie
05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh my gosh! I am so new here too! Thank you all for the great information on SanAntonio, but hey, I was born here 18 years ago. In fact I'm about to graduate from Alamo Heights this year? Anyone here heard of my school??? "Here's to Our Blue & Gold, Long Let it Wave, Over Our Dear Old School, Colors never FAADE"...............oh, never mind!

Go Spurs Go:flag:

tlongII
05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
I am new here too and am planning on traveling to San Antonio for the 2009 2nd round WC playoff series between the Blazers and Spurs. Can you recommend a nice hotel on the Riverwalk for about $65 per night? I look forward to meeting everyone from SpursTalk!

mouse.
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Can you recommend a nice hotel on the Riverwalk for about $65 per night?

65 a night? you are one sheep bastard.

Sweetie Pie
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
You might want to P.M., Ms Martini, she seems awful knowledgeable.

Sweetie Pie
05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Mr. Long, sir, you have an awful lot of numbers in your post count, for being new. And a sheep and Spur under your name, what gives, sir?

lileasy
05-21-2008, 08:21 PM
hey, thanks everybody for the details!
:)

The Riverwalk was the only point of reffrence in SA i knew from the Spurs parades but, as i see, it's no chance to get a good deal on these days....
Not a problem, i'm not there to live in luxury...not even to sleep too much!

Thanks to everybody, including Tlong - maybe next year i'll come to Portland, see the games...:rolleyes

'm going catch the game right now....

marini martini
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
hey, thanks everybody for the details!

The Riverwalk was the only point of reffrence in SA i knew from the Spurs parades but, as i see, it's no chance to get a good deal on these days....
Not a problem, i'm not there to live in luxury...not even to sleep too much!

Thanks to everybody, including Tlong - maybe next year i'll come to Portland, see the games...:rolleyes

'm going catch the game right now....

How come you got $1000. v-bookie???????:greedy

nsrammstein
05-22-2008, 01:48 AM
I was in the san antonio area during the 2006 playoffs with some friends we stayed the first two games of the semis down in the SA area we didn't need a hotel because we slept in our cars and most of the night we spent it in the riverwalk getting wasted inside the clubs alongside the riverwalk, gotta say that thats a nice atmosphere down there

lileasy
05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, God blessed me with this day i put my foot on San Antonio land...
I already like it here because everywhere i look, there's a poster with Tony Parker, or a sports bar right in the aeroport with Gervin, people wearing game jerseys, banners at the Car rental office... and i've already been to Washington and Clevland these weeks and i saw nothing like that... Washington was eliminated at that game i watched live and there was a fiesta/jam session outside... go figure!
:rolleyes

Anyway, i got the tickets for tonight from StubHub, section 214 , row 11 - i gotta go pick the up before the game...

I don't know if it's possible or even interesting for anybody since i didn't wrote in the forum before and i didn't make friends...but i would really like to meet some people from this forum... word is that SA people are really friendly...:toast

See you at the game or after!
Just give me a sign...

samikeyp
05-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Welcome!

Now if you go to the game and the Spurs lose...you can never come back! :lol

(I keed, I keed)

lileasy
05-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Actually superstition was a key factor in my browsing this forums for so many years and not writing anything...
But i'm here with all my good voodoo pregame routine so i hope we'll win... we kinda have to, right?

So, are people from the forum going out to some special place after the games?

balli
05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Wait, wait, wait... You traveled all the way to the states from Romania and you purposefully chose to go to Texas? That's like an American going to Europe to see Chernobyl. If it were me wanting to see the Spurs I would've just turned on the TV in Chicago.

samikeyp
05-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Texas is a beautiful place, you made a good choice.

robino2001
05-26-2008, 03:57 PM
I believe/assume/would hope this would have been the dude on the jumbotron last night holding his "Romania loves the Spurs sign"... cool deal - hope you enjoyed the game

Slomo
05-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I believe/assume/would hope this would have been the dude on the jumbotron last night holding his "Romania loves the Spurs sign"... cool deal - hope you enjoyed the game

:lol

That's very cool!

Slomo
05-27-2008, 03:17 AM

Actually in Slovenia we're so awesome we don't need signs!

We're also smart, beautiful and modest! :p:

Slydragon
05-27-2008, 03:22 AM

Actually in Slovenia we're so awesome we don't need signs!

We're also smart, beautiful and modest! :p:

Like Beno?

Slomo
05-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Like Beno?

:depressed way to ruin my day. :flipoff

Slydragon
05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
:lmao

lileasy
05-27-2008, 05:33 PM
yeah, that was my moment of glory i suppose...showing my support and get on the Jumbotron!
:toast

And Texas is so very nice, we visited in San Antonio the main points, we loved the Riverwalk and we got out , visiting around, The Cave without a name and then got to Bandera, getting to drink a lot of beers with some real cowboys overthere and eating some great Ribeye steak at an old restaurant..

And really apreciatted the way people for SA love their team, and how they celebrate on the streets after te game...it's very much like Romania, after the soccer games, every body is honking and yelling... that's great!

I also have to mention that is really tough for me to get my dream to watch my boys and hear the "here comes the Spurs!" and see the action and... put up with the many-many purple jerseys and the "mvp" chanting when Kobe does something in AT&T arena nevertheless...that's really something i have to get used to it... in Europe it would be really different...

So far i have a really great time in SA and all my love and the emotions just overhelemd me at the game (being on the Jumbotron was just an unexpected bonus!)... i had goose bumps half of the game...

Great times!