PDA

View Full Version : Come Out Swinging

timvp
05-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Lakers are somewhat vulnerable in this game? The Spurs need to come out swinging and make the Lake Show start thinking about themselves and if they are ready to truly be a championship squad.

The Lakers are a damn solid team, don't get me wrong, but I just don't thing they've been tested at all. Kobe has gone against defenders such as Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony, Kyle Korver and Matt Harpring. He hasn't seen anything like Bruce Bowen thus far in the playoffs -- or even Ime Udoka. Honestly, the thing that truly worries me the most is fatigue.

Keep the pace painfully slow. Make the Lakers walk up the court and try to score against a set defense. Take the crowd out of it. Establish Duncan on the low block early. Show the world why the Spurs are undefeated in their last 15 playoff games decided by less than 17 points.

Basically, the Spurs gotta just punch these fools in the mouth early on and then keep them at bay.

:makemyday

Believe.

ducks
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
they need to

I think lakers will think the spurs are tired and come out not as aggressive
hopefully spurs can captialzize

Strike
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
+1

I'm counting down the minutes until game 1 starts.

If the Spurs can get past the short break between games and establish their presence in the paint, they got this.

Medvedenko
05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Yup, good points...but Kobe saw Kirelenko as well during the Utah series and was pretty banged up. The lakers are weird...they can run as shown during the Denver series and can play half court as shown during the Utah series. They have a lot of horses that can do a a lot of different things on the court. It's going to be fun and if the spurs win, it will be this game. Usually lay offs for teams spell trouble.

T Park
I gotta good feeling about this game.

They really have to take the back against the wall bunker mentality.

Go out and get it boys.

Also.

Drive to the hole, THEY HAVE NO SHOT BLOCKERS!!!

4001 STEREO SPUR
I totally agree.
Lets get game 1.

:flag: :flag:

Budkin
05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Game one is going to be extremely tough for us. With the lack of rest we've gotten I'm almost expecting us to fade out in the 4th quarter. I hope I'm wrong.

nkdlunch
05-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Spurs will be tired by the 3rd quarter if they don't slow the game down as much as possible and make it as ugly as possible.

The Hustler
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
right there with you bro, lakeshow going down...starting today...but slow it down when parker has such a speed advantage over dfish? maybe they just pick their spots...duncan has to dominate when singled and our spurs can't relax on the transition D...:flag:

boutons_
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
timvp, agree.

Spurs taking Game7 @Hornets can't make the Lakers think the Spurs are done. We've had 2 much tougher opponents than Lakers, and they know it.

Spurs need the split badly, so why not grab Game1?

Winning Game1 at LAL, stealing HCA from the #1 seed, could really knock back the Lakers' confidence, which they seem to have abundance. Laker swagger? Crunch it.

"worries me the most is fatigue."

Yep, Games 1 - 7 with only 1 day between them, after a troubled, bedless Monday overnight in NO. But if everybody slept plenty of hours Tue night, then they should be OK.

LakeShow
05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
It will be rust but not enough for the Spurs to win.

Medvedenko
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
I gotta good feeling about this game.

They really have to take the back against the wall bunker mentality.

Go out and get it boys.

Also.

Drive to the hole, THEY HAVE NO SHOT BLOCKERS!!!

Playoffs 08

Pau Gasol: avg: 2.9 blocks per game
Lamar Odom: avg: 1.4 blocks per game (2.0 versus Utah)

T Duncan: avg: 2.08 blocks per game
Kurt Thomas: avg: .50 blocks per game
Oberto avg: .42 blocks per game

Neither do the spurs I guess.

spurschick
05-21-2008, 04:43 PM
1 on the road :nutkick:

DarrinS
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I think winning game 1 is more important for the Lakers. If the Lakers were to lose game 1 (especially at home), most of their newbile players would probably lose confidence.

It will definitely be an entertaining game.

Allanon
05-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I don't think the Lakers underestimate the Spurs at all, I think they know how dangerous the Spurs are and will try to take them out early.

Nobody wants to be only up by 3 points with a minute left against the Spurs.

In reverse, I think the Lakers come out swinging and try to put down the Spurs early.

ducks
Playoffs 08

Pau Gasol: avg: 2.9 blocks per game
Lamar Odom: avg: 1.4 blocks per game (2.0 versus Utah)

T Duncan: avg: 2.08 blocks per game
Kurt Thomas: avg: .50 blocks per game
Oberto avg: .42 blocks per game

Neither do the spurs I guess.
duncan alters shots

duncan228
Honestly, the thing that truly worries me the most is fatigue.

I'm hoping they've still got adreniline running through them from game 7. That will overpower any fatigue from the short turn around. If they can come out swinging like you say, the adreniline will carry them through the game.

timvp
05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure where the myth started that the Lakers don't have shotblockers. They averaged about twice as many blocks as New Orleans did during the regular season. Gasol has been blocking shots at a healthy clip, Odom can block shots and even Kobe is known to block shots in bunches. Turiaf off the bench can be intimidating in the middle.

Medvedenko
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure where the myth started that the Lakers don't have shotblockers. They averaged about twice as many blocks as New Orleans did during the regular season. Gasol has been blocking shots at a healthy clip, Odom can block shots and even Kobe is known to block shots in bunches. Turiaf off the bench can be intimidating in the middle.

Yup please see my previous thread.

The reality is that our bigs are skinny and don't deal with being pounded on the block. Yes, Gasol is soft but he's long and does block and alter a lot of shots. Even Odom has stepped up his game. Turiaf will swing at anything and is usually rewarded but fouls for every block he does cleanly.

LakersMark
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm hoping they've still got adreniline running through them from game 7. That will overpower any fatigue from the short turn around. If they can come out swinging like you say, the adreniline will carry them through the game.

Not tonight the Lakers will put fear in Spurs fans and the Big Fundamental. Be ready for a team that is more versatile and more capable to handle a long series and no Pargo trying to save our day beware of triple ocho and the bench mob.

travis2
05-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Fear??

:lmao

If getting completely run over TWICE to start the last series (plus a THIRD time later on) didn't do it, the Lakers certainly aren't going to do it...

Das Texan
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
its like in a boxing match, get that quick pop in the jaw early, make the opponent feel it and keep that in the back of their head as you set them up for later on in the bout.

thats what tonight should be all about, get in there, get a real good solid shot in early, win the first round and hope to build on the momentum from there.

DazedAndConfused
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
I actually see LAL blowing this game out early and the Pop waiving the white flag by the 4th quarter. Game 2 is when SAS will give their best effort IMHO. If the Lakers win Game 1 it will be relatively meaningless, if they lose on the other hand.........

rascal
05-21-2008, 05:43 PM
The lakers will blow the spurs out in game 1. Too many things working against the spurs coming off the 7 game series against a well rested team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Sig

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I actually think LA might take us lightly tonight as much as the whole sleeping on the plane thing has been played up in the media.

And yeah, Pau has been a mental midget in the post-season, it'd be nice to put him in a hole right off the bat and see how he responds.

timvp
05-21-2008, 05:47 PM
If the Spurs do lose, I hope it's by 50+ points. Let the starters rest and gear up for Game 2.

But the shock of Kobe having Bowen on him instead of Korver or Carmelo on him could allow the Spurs to get off to a good start. Oh and whoever pointed to Kirilenko as a good defender ... that's laughable. The Jazz don't even bother putting Kirilenko on Ginobili or Parker because he'll get scored on too easily. He ends up on Bowen.

Seriously, who is the best defender Kobe has gone up against so far in the playoffs? Kenyon Martin? Matt Harpring? :rollin

Holt's Cat
05-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm with ya boss.

Lakers had one weak ass ride to the WC Finals.

beachwood
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM
This is a trap game for the Lakers. Besides Kobe & Fisher no one on that team has played a Spurs team marching towards the Finals. Gasol has always been easily discarded by us. The Lakers have not been challenged yet this playoffs and we have. As good as the Lakers are right now, they are not battle tested.

The experience of dealing with elimination twice and overcoming huge obstacles with our backs against the wall will come into play.

Holt's Cat
The Lakers are frauds.

T Park
Could it be like 2002 though if they slap em in the face in the first game they will respond with 4 straight?

Personally I could see it going either way.

DazedAndConfused
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
If the Spurs do lose, I hope it's by 50+ points. Let the starters rest and gear up for Game 2.

But the shock of Kobe having Bowen on him instead of Korver or Carmelo on him could allow the Spurs to get off to a good start. Oh and whoever pointed to Kirilenko as a good defender ... that's laughable. The Jazz don't even bother putting Kirilenko on Ginobili or Parker because he'll get scored on too easily. He ends up on Bowen.

Seriously, who is the best defender Kobe has gone up against so far in the playoffs? Kenyon Martin? Matt Harpring? :rollin

Kenyon Martin, Najera, Anthony, Kleiza, JR Smith, Harpring, AK47, Korver, Brewer, and Miles.

Kobe has seen every type of defender you can imagine and torched them all. Bowen is going to have to be at the top of his game. Even then, it still might not be enough. Kobe can have a bad game and the Lakers can still win.

G-Nob
05-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Phil will find a way to create shots for Kobe. The only thing I ask is please defend the pick-n-roll w/ Gasol.

Holt's Cat
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Kenyon Martin?

ROFL.

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah that playoff stud Kenyon Martin.

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Kenyon Martin, Najera, Anthony, Kleiza, JR Smith, Harpring, AK47, Korver, Brewer, and Miles.

Kobe has seen every type of defender you can imagine and torched them all.:lmao :lmao

Every type of defender? You just named ten of the 25 worst perimeter defenders in the NBA. ROFL @ Najera, JR Smith and CJ Miles spending time on Kobe. That's hysterical. That'd be like if the Spurs put Oberto on Kobe and Laker Fan got all hot and bothered because Kobe "torched" him.

DazedAndConfused
05-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Kenyon Martin?

ROFL.

The only thing he can do acceptably is play defense. And believe it or not, he's guarded Kobe the best out of anyone thus far in the playoffs.

You Spurs fans are seriously some of the most arrogant and cocky individuals I've ever come across. I've seen you guys repeat this "DUNCAN PWNS GASOL" comment all over the place when none of the stats over the last 3 years even come remotely close to proving that. If anything Gasol has had more good games against Duncan......and that was when he was playing for an inferior MEM team.

Holt's Cat
05-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Kenyon Martin stopped playing D back in Ohio. Next.

DazedAndConfused
05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
:lmao :lmao

Every type of defender? You just named ten of the 25 worst perimeter defenders in the NBA. ROFL @ Najera, JR Smith and CJ Miles spending time on Kobe. That's hysterical. That'd be like if the Spurs put Oberto on Kobe and Laker Fan got all hot and bothered because Kobe "torched" him.

AK47 is a horrible defender? News to me.......

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
The only thing he can do acceptably is play defense. And believe it or not, he's guarded Kobe the best out of anyone thus far in the playoffs.

You Spurs fans are seriously some of the most arrogant and cocky individuals I've ever come across. I've seen you guys repeat this "DUNCAN PWNS GASOL" comment all over the place when none of the stats over the last 3 years even come remotely close to proving that. If anything Gasol has had more good games against Duncan......and that was when he was playing for an inferior MEM team.

:lmao @ youc alling us cocky

STFU already chump

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Kenyon Martin, fresh off his second microfracture surgery, is the best defender Kobe has faced thus far in the playoffs?

:hungry:

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM
AK47 is a horrible defender? News to me.......ROFL. I'm sure it is. If Kenyon Martin is defensive stud in your book, Kirilenko is probably pretty damn hardcore.

ducks
05-21-2008, 06:21 PM

sloan has called him out in utah paper:lol:lol

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Uh yeah he is.

Theres alot of things that would be news to you chump

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
sloan has called him out in utah paper:lol:lolYeah, I think the exact quote from Sloan was that Kirilenko doesn't play defense, he just lets players drive by him and then goes for the blocked shot.

But then again, a Laker Fan with NBA knowledge is usually an oxymoron.

Ginofan
05-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Dang, timvp owning fools left and right...

If you don't know, now you know...
http://www.grooveshark.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/notoriousbig2.jpg

Kori Ellis

Ask Jerry Sloan who rips his ass about it all the time. He lets everybody and their mother blow by him and then reaches over to (try to) block from behind. Sloan has tried to explain that's not good D.

T Park
Kenyon Martin, fresh off his second microfracture surgery, is the best defender Kobe has faced thus far in the playoffs?

Wait till Udoka bodys up to him and slaps him around.

Obstructed_View
The Lakers fans seem to be completely delusional. I'm not surprised Dilatation and Curettage is spouting ridiculous "Lakers are invincible" crap, but I'm mildly surprised that the majority of people passing themselves off as "sports journalists" have partaken of the same Laker Koolaid. We're all well aware that the league and the casual fan are desperately hoping that the Spurs don't return to the finals, but to say they have absolutely no chance is silly. I'm actually glad it's being said, as the Spurs play better when they aren't reading about how great they are, but the completely lack of objectivity is stunning.

beachwood
05-21-2008, 06:27 PM

:lol

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I think the exact quote from Sloan was that Kirilenko doesn't play defense, he just lets players drive by him and then goes for the blocked shot.

But then again, a Laker Fan with NBA knowledge is usually an oxymoron.

Time to drop these mofos like its 1999 and 2003

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:29 PM
The Lakers fans seem to be completely delusional. I'm not surprised Dilatation and Curettage is spouting ridiculous "Lakers are invincible" crap, but I'm mildly surprised that the majority of people passing themselves off as "sports journalists" have partaken of the same Laker Koolaid. We're all well aware that the league and the casual fan are desperately hoping that the Spurs don't return to the finals, but to say they have absolutely no chance is silly. I'm actually glad it's being said, as the Spurs play better when they aren't reading about how great they are, but the completely lack of objectivity is stunning.

The last time the media disrepsected them this much it was the first round.

Go ask the Suns how that worked out.

baseline bum
05-21-2008, 06:33 PM
The lakers will blow the spurs out in game 1. Too many things working against the spurs coming off the 7 game series against a well rested team.

Big surprise. What's your call? LA in 4?

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Rascal also said there was no way the Spurs would win a game 7 in New Orleans.

Howd that work out for you sunshine?

Borosai
05-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Ime Udoka!

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Martin, Najera and Harpring combine for six microfracture surgeries. Are we sure Chris Webber didn't guard Kobe at some point in the playoffs?

ROFL.

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
NENE GUARDED HIM TOO YA KNO!!

What he just came off of cancer surgery?

IRREGARDLESS!!! HES A FANTASTIC ONE ON ONE DEFENDER!!

timvp
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
http://enquirer.com/bearcats/img/photos/2000/03/031100martin.jpg

The best defender Kobe has faced in the 2008 playoffs.

You can't make this ish up.

bigfundamental21
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
We definitely need to come out swinging. I think Game 1 is the best chance to steal HCA. At this time of the year, there is no such thing as tired or injured. You play through it. GO GET THIS GAME, SPURS!

GO SPURS GO!

BELIEVE!

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Im just wonder where Andrew Bynum is.

He was supposed to be back in February.
Then March.
Then April.

THE LATEST first round.

aybe the second round...

baseline bum
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Who's a tougher defender? Kirilenko or Steve Smith?

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Who's a tougher defender? Kirilenko or Steve Smith?

Dirk Nowitzki.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Im just wonder where Andrew Bynum is.

He was supposed to be back in February.
Then March.
Then April.

THE LATEST first round.

aybe the second round...

Unfortunately, he just had surgery today.

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Its a shame the Spurs couldn't put Steve Nash on Kobe tonight.
I mean, he pales in coparison to like Tyronne Lue or Ronnie Price but....

smeagol
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
You Spurs fans are seriously some of the most arrogant and cocky individuals I've ever come across.

Not really. You have thousands of posts on LG.net.

T Park
05-21-2008, 06:53 PM

But Dzed said he was FINE!!

smeagol
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM

Don't tell me you will also take that WD $10,000 bet :lmao

duncan228
05-21-2008, 06:58 PM

They say the surgery was a success. I hope he can recover completely, the kid has a lot of promise.

LAKERS CENTER ANDREW BYNUM HAS SUCCESSFUL KNEE SURGERY

Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his left knee today in New York, it was announced today by the team.

The procedure, which took 30 minutes and was performed by Dr. David Altchek, consisted of removing some cartilage debris and smoothing some rough spots on the underside of the kneecap.

Bynum is expected to make a full recovery by the start of training camp.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/080521_bynumsuccessfulsurgery.html

Kori Ellis
05-21-2008, 06:58 PM
But Dzed said he was FINE!!

He's expected to be fine by next season. He's my favorite Laker, so hopefully that's true.

ElNono
05-21-2008, 07:02 PM
He'll be back in September... :rolleyes

polandprzem
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
wow Lj not giving the credit to LA?

WTF

LA had the best record in the NBA even before they took Gasol from Memphis.

And Kobe is playing better and better plus he knoiws how to play against Bowen. Odom is in his best. Fisher loves to outstrike the spurs.

Strange.

---------------
1st round - Tim defeted his nemesis
2nd round - It was old vs. young, athletic vs. experienced
3rd round - Pop vs Jax

polandprzem
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
He's expected to be fine by next season. He's my favorite Laker, so hopefully that's true.

Bynum is your favoirite Laker? :bang

The world is crushing down.

T Park
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
wow Lj not giving the credit to LA?

WTF

LA had the best record in the NBA even before they took Gasol from Memphis.

And Kobe is playing better and better plus he knoiws how to play against Bowen. Odom is in his best. Fisher loves to outstrike the spurs.

Strange.

Can you n

---------------
1st round - Tim defeted his nemesis
2nd round - It was old vs. young, athletic vs. experienced
3rd round - Pop vs Jax

WTF? :wtf

Where does he say that?

timvp
05-21-2008, 07:23 PM
wow Lj not giving the credit to LA?Link to me not giving credit to LA? I said the Spurs need to come out swinging against the Lakers. If these Lakers get rolling, they'll be damn difficult to stop. Getting them in Game 1 though is possible and could slow down the momentum.

The Lakers are the best team the Spurs have faced so far. But the Spurs shouldn't lay down and die. That's not how they do.

Oh and saying Kobe hasn't had anyone defend him is accurate. Najera and JR Smith and the like have been on him. The Lakers played the two teams in the entire NBA with the worst perimeter defenders. It's not the Lakers fault, though. But it is truth. He could very well average 35 against the Spurs but that still doesn't make Kyle Korver a good defender.

Kori Ellis
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Bynum is your favoirite Laker? :bang

The world is crushing down.
Who should be my favorite?

T Park
05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I like Derek Fisher.

He to me is like the anti Laker.

td4mvp21
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Lakers fans are more cocky than Spurs fans, and this is the first time they've made it past the second round since 2004! We are cocky but the Lakers fans on this board have surpassed our own arrogance.

baseline bum
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM

That's like saying al-Gaddafi is my favorite terrorist.

Avitus1
05-21-2008, 07:36 PM
This is the one to steal. We got momentum so lets do it...

timvp
05-21-2008, 07:38 PM
The only respectable Laker is an ex-Laker.

Spuradicator
05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Tony needs to attack and finish in the paint. No way Fisher can stay with him. But he also needs to get his jumper going again.

I look for Duncan to have a series similar to what he did in the suns series.

der Kaiser
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
http://media.movieweb.com/dvd_art/full/21/29621.jpg

NuGGeTs-FaN
05-21-2008, 10:44 PM
sorry Spurs fans, you know the refs cant let you steal one in LA :lol

LakeShow
05-21-2008, 10:52 PM
It will be rust but not enough for the Spurs to win.

:tu

This was your shot. YOU FAILED!