PDA

View Full Version : 2 major mistakes by Pop

K-State Spur
05-21-2008, 10:56 PM
sitting bowen after his 3rd foul allowed Kobe to go off. i don't care if Bowen fouls out at the end of the third quarter, the Spurs still would have had a 15 point lead going into that frame.

i don't hate small-ball when it's Udoka, but Fab was playing well and Finley on Odom IS A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MISMATCH.

that was nothing short of disastrous.

JoeChalupa
05-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't blame for Pop for what I consider a meltdown by the players but I agree that some moves were questionable. Manu simply didn't produce and that is not Pop's fault.

Deuces88
05-21-2008, 10:59 PM
I definitely think Bowen was out the game too long. I also cringe anytime Finley comes into the game. He's basically a cancer to the team nowadays. He does NOTHING defensively and misses open shots. Why is the rationale for even making him put on his jersey?

Mr. Peabody
05-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't blame for Pop for what I consider a meltdown by the players but I agree that some moves were questionable. Manu simply didn't produce and that is not Pop's fault.

Yeah, you can't blame Pop for Manu getting caught on the baseline and jumping up not knowing where he's passing to. You also can't blame Pop for Finley and Udoka throwing up airballs.

wildbill2u
sitting bowen after his 3rd foul allowed Kobe to go off. i don't care if Bowen fouls out at the end of the third quarter, the Spurs still would have had a 15 point lead going into that frame.

i don't hate small-ball when it's Udoka, but Fab was playing well and Finley on Odom IS A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MISMATCH.

1. Unless Fabricio was hurt, I'd have him in there in the 4th.

2. Barry should have been used instead of Finley in the 4th. Finley was clanging everything and Barry couldn't have done worse. Besides, barry moves the ball better.

3. When Udoka starts shooting 3 consecutive airballs, he's choking in a big game. Get him out of there.

K-State Spur
if finley misses his first couple of shots, put him on the bench and be done with it. he just doesn't have it that night.

i know that barry can't play defense right now, but it's not like fin is of ANY value guarding Odom. that's just terrible.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96297

Join us, I know it's a hard thing to miss another thread calling out Pop...

K-State Spur
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
my complaints were separate than just 'fuck small ball.'

mando6599
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Pop banked on Manu WAAY too much!

I put this loss on Manu. Up 20, Manu comes in and quickly turns the ball over 2 times and commits an offensive foul? Lakers cut it to 11 within a few minutes of Manu coming in. He forced the issue everytime he handled the ball. Driving and throwing ill-advised pass after pass? Horrible. The only thing that would have forgiven it was if he made that last 3. But not the kind of night we need from Manu as he hurt more than helped. Also couldn't finish at the rim like he normally does. Wasted Duncan effort for sure. I love Manu, but tonight he needs to take this one and come out Friday and play much better Manu ball.

mando

SouthernFried
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Finley should NOT have been in the game, obvious to any 12 yr old. Barry had a steal and hit a shot or 2. He missed one driving hook shot, and POP pulls him for the rest of the game. Dumb.

And keeping Bowen out of the game, not even trying to adjust to the lakers biggest run. DUMB DUMB.

Pop is great...except when he's dumb.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
it was very disappointing overall. i think pop made some mistakes but manu was so off he shouldn't have started. I can see manu going back to the bench - the spurs bench got killed tonight.

this loss was worse than those at NO - they really laid a huge egg in the second half. manu was just being slopping and their run started when manu turned it over twice.

some players played great like duncan, enough to win the game. i can only think they ran out of gas but pop made some huge mistakes

K-State Spur
05-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Manu's clearly not 100% still. there's no way radmanovich could stay between him and the rim otherwise.

but he hasn't been 100% in these playoffs, gotta deal with it.

Manu_Ginobili
05-21-2008, 11:07 PM

Keeping Finley in he game was STUPID too - he didn't do anything in this game...

Quiet Strength
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Barry should of played more minutes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
my complaints were separate than just 'fuck small ball.'

So was everyone else's in that thread.

SouthernFried
It's been obvious all playoffs that Manu has not been 100%. Pop needs to adjust his role to what he is capable of in the condition he is in. Basically shooting 3's, and penetrating only occassionaly. Parker has to be the closer right now...not Manu.

peskypesky
05-21-2008, 11:10 PM

yeah, but a coach should notice when a guy doesn't have anything left in the tank.

loveforthegame
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
It's not like Udoka and Barry were lighting it up so not sure why Finley is taking all the heat. Yes, he sucked offensively missing all his shots but Barry was 1-3 with only 1 rebound, 1 assist, and 1 steal. Udoka only had 1 rebound, 1 assist, and a turnover. Finley at least had 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and a steal.

Who lit Finley up exactly? One possesion Odom scores on him and he's bad defensively?

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Blame the Spurs, Pop, whoever, but give the Lakers credit.

They went on a 44-20 run after it was 45-65.

Tragically bitter loss for the the Spurs. I would have rather been blown out by 30 than lose a game like this.

Can we recover? I'm not sure, this sure looks one of those turning point moments.

raspsa
05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Some questionnable shot selection particularly by Ime in the endgame. Don't know why TD doesn't take a lot more bankshots instead. TP disappeared in the 4th quarter. Manu had his worst game EVER. Pop should have called timeouts or tried something to break the Laker run in the 3rdQ. Thatwas the pivotal quarter just like in NO.

ballhog
05-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Oberto or Thomas needed to be in there near the end. Passing and defense was needed.

still.focused
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
After Kobe lites up Udoka Pop shoulda came back with Bruce
I watched the scorerrs table everytime the ball crossed half court hopin to see Bruce
Then it happened i saw him, but there were no stoppages("GET A T-O BABY!!!" Dickie V)
And then the end of the 3rd come Bruce goes back to the bench
And has to deal wit a red hot Kobe

K-State Spur
05-21-2008, 11:23 PM
So was everyone else's in that thread.

sorry, i just look at thread titles before diverging.