PDA

View Full Version : Question about a key call down the stretch.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't Odumb clearly hit the ball out of Duncan's hands (towards the end of the game after Duncan got a defensive rebound)? Why did they called out of bounds on TD, especially when the ref was two feet in front of the play?

I got home just in time to check out the last few posessions, and this was something I thought I'd bring up mainly because I want to know what everyone thinks baout this particular call.

Allanon
05-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, that was a bad call on the refs. Gasol actually hit it out.

ShoogarBear
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Spurs ended up getting the ball back on the next play, otherwise that would have been a huge blown call.

mexicanjunior
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Spurs ended up getting the ball back on the next play, otherwise that would have been a huge blown call.

They lost alot of valuable time though, it was huge regardless of whether the Lakers scored or not...

hitmanyr2k
05-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Gasol didn't just hit it out. He mugged the hell out of Duncan. Usually the ref will let the foul go and give the ball back to the the team that got fouled but I was shocked when he let the foul go AND gave the ball to LA lol.

DDS4
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Yeah, the next play made up for it. So overall, it was irrelevant.

The Spurs just plain sucked in the 4th.

Spur Spoiler
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM

My first post and I am defending the Spurs? You both have it wrong. Gasol hacked Duncan on the arm. Duncan was the last to touch it but never would have dropped it had Gasol not fouled him.

Allanon
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
My first post and I am defending the Spurs? You both have it wrong. Gasol hacked Duncan on the arm. Duncan was the last to touch it but never would have dropped it had Gasol not fouled him.

Same thing, bad call :D

ShoogarBear
05-21-2008, 11:56 PM
They lost alot of valuable time though, it was huge regardless of whether the Lakers scored or not...

The Spurs had the ball with 20 seconds left and a chance to take the lead. The play ended up making no difference in the final outcome.

And I think Gasol both fouled Tim AND hit it out.

SouthernFried
05-21-2008, 11:59 PM
It gave LA an extra possession. Just because they didn't score on it and turned it over to us doesn't matter, it still gave LA another possession that we should have had instead.

It should have went something like this...

LA possession....missed shot, Duncan rebound.
Spurs possession...5 point play by Manu.
LA possession, out of bounds...Spurs ball.
Spurs possession

Instead, it went like this...

LA possession, missed shot...Duncan rebound. Ducan loses ball out of bounds on a terrible fucking call.
LA possession, out of bounds, Spurs ball.
Spurs possession...

We missed an extra possession and that 5 point shot of Manu's.

...uh, you get the idea ;)

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:01 AM
It was a foul. Spurs were in the bonus. Should have been two free-throws. It was big.

anjlbitz
05-22-2008, 12:03 AM
oops.. wrong thread

Ludovician
05-22-2008, 12:06 AM
That was probably the only unequivocally bad call in the entire game. Overall refs were fine tonight. Spurs have no excuse.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
That was probably the only unequivocally bad call in the entire game. Overall refs were fine tonight. Spurs have no excuse.

Kobe pushing off on Bowen and then hitting him with the shoulder... no call

Manu getting tackled at the end of the game... no call

Parker getting wiped-out on one end of the court... no call, Kobe takes it to the other end of the court and gets breathed on for a trip to the line...

Ronaldo McDonald
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
I just don't understand how a guy standing directly in front of the play could miss it at such a crucial point in the game.

No excuses, we played horribly, but that was a scetchy call.

SouthernFried
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
I forgot we were in the bonus.

Yes...it was HUGE.

It doesn't affect the SPURS blowing a 20 point lead...but, it did affect the outcome of the game.

And the ref was right in front of the play...no excuse for the ref.\

I wonder if that ref is an acquaintance of Charles...

Roxsfan
05-22-2008, 12:33 AM
I just don't understand how a guy standing directly in front of the play could miss it at such a crucial point in the game.

No excuses, we played horribly, but that was a scetchy call.

because D.Stern wants lakers-celtics finals and his puppets will make that happen.

Discoflux
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
I just hope the refs are as good overall to us in your building as they were to you at the Stapler.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:42 AM
I just hope the refs are as good overall to us in your building as they were to you at the Stapler.

Me too. It would be nice to see the Lakers lose one in the same fashion...

ShoogarBear
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM
They were NEVER going to call the foul in that situation. The best that could be hoped for is that they get the possession right. They didn't, but the Spurs got the ball back. Didn't affect the outcome.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:48 AM
They were NEVER going to call the foul in that situation. The best that could be hoped for is that they get the possession right. They didn't, but the Spurs got the ball back. Didn't affect the outcome.

It absolutely HELPED affect the outcome along with a few other calls. And "They were NEVER going to call the foul in that situation" is a cop-out. Either it is right or it is wrong. They made the wrong call.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2008, 01:01 AM
:rolleyes

You're the same guy arguing that Kobe should have been called for an offensive foul on the Bowen flop, right?

zepn
05-22-2008, 01:14 AM
:rolleyes

You're the same guy arguing that Kobe should have been called for an offensive foul on the Bowen flop, right?

No, I'm the guy that said it should be a foul for ANY player to lower his shoulder and run into another player. Even if your name is Kobe.

Medvedenko
05-22-2008, 01:19 AM
It was a foul on Gasol...still the ref didn't have a great angle on it and made the out of bounds call....felt pressure and there was a make up call soon after. I still think it was a big play. A bigger play was TD's shot that rimmed out and Kobe actually tipped it in to give you a 2 point deficit.

PwrGetter
05-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Kobe pushing off on Bowen and then hitting him with the shoulder... no call

Manu getting tackled at the end of the game... no call

Parker getting wiped-out on one end of the court... no call, Kobe takes it to the other end of the court and gets breathed on for a trip to the line...

Horry tackled Odom, which caused Odom to fall on Manu... no excuses.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7171/captfa8ca9ee75bd4c4e890yu9.jpg

Dopey310
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
-Manu undercutting Gasol in to Duncan. Foul on Gasol. Bad Call
-Manu swinging elbow in to Sasha's neck. No Call
-After the bad call against the Spurs with Gasol hacking Duncan arm, the Spurs hacked away at Gasol at the rim and got away with it. That play didn't affect the outcome of the game.
- Just because Manu flails his neck, doesn't mean there's a foul.

Lakers999
05-22-2008, 07:24 AM
any team that blows a 20 point lead and loses the game deserves the loss.... pin point on all you want, however it doesnt change the fact that the spurs are only down a game

zepn
05-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Blowing the 20 point lead had nothing to do with the ref's.

The one-sided calls down the stretch did.

zepn
05-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Horry tackled Odom, which caused Odom to fall on Manu... no excuses.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7171/captfa8ca9ee75bd4c4e890yu9.jpg

Fail.

Odom had already hit Manu, and was standing on Manu's his foot when Horry got there.

urunobili
05-22-2008, 08:40 AM

hit it out??? that was a hack to Duncan non called

Allanon
05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
hit it out??? that was a hack to Duncan non called

You're right, he hacked Duncan. But the refs gave them the next call so that evened it out.

As for Odom tackling Manu, if you look at the pic, their feet are pretty much touching right there, and Horry has a firm grip on Odom so it must have happened pretty much at the same time. It might have been a foul on Odom, we can't see but that's definitely a foul on Horry. Good no-call.

zepn
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
You're right, he hacked Duncan. But the refs gave them the next call so that evened it out.

Not quite. We were in the bonus. It should have been two free throws.

zepn
05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
As for Odom tackling Manu, if you look at the pic, their feet are pretty much touching right there, and Horry has a firm grip on Odom so it must have happened pretty much at the same time. It might have been a foul on Odom, we can't see but that's definitely a foul on Horry. Good no-call.

The foul on Manu had already occurred at that point. Notice both Manu and Horry diving for the ball and Odom (bracing his legs and NOT falling) boxing Horry out. Horry got there later and got boxed-out by Odom and was trying to work his way around to get to the ball.

nkdlunch
05-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Not quite. We were in the bonus. It should have been two free throws.

yup, Duncan was fouled and Manu was fouled. but what does it matter. Spurs blew a 20 point lead.

zepn
05-22-2008, 09:00 AM
yup, Duncan was fouled and Manu was fouled. but what does it matter. Spurs blew a 20 point lead.

It matters because even if we had blown a thousand point lead the Spurs were still in it at the End.

And the End was when the lead changed from the Spurs to the Lakers.

And the End was called, let's be diplomatic and say "less evenly" than the previous 45 minutes of the game.

It mattered.

Lake_show
05-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Are spurs fans crying because of their loss?

zepn
05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Are spurs fans crying because of their loss?

Just stating the facts.

zepn
05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
As I have said before, I thought the game was called pretty fairly until the last few minutes.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
any team that blows a 20 point lead and loses the game deserves the loss.... pin point on all you want, however it doesnt change the fact that the spurs are only down a game

+1 Yes, it sucks they blew that huge lead...but that's nothing new for the Spurs...they've been pulling that shit all season long...and you're right, it's just one game. The Spurs sucked in the 4th, but they were clearly gassed...they played well enough to beat the Lakers, so I still have confidence in them to get Game 2 and take the split back to SA.

Spurs in 6...BELIEVE!!! :flag: