PDA

View Full Version : NBA Story, US today - my 1 minute of fame

Rummpd
01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Re all star game format at www.cnn.com - go to nba site.

USA vs. international squad adds flair to All-Star Game
By David DuPree, USA TODAY
East vs. West has always been the All-Star Game tradition, but a number of readers feel a change in that format could make for a more interesting contest.
I agree with Peter Rumm of Philadelphia and Rodney Reid of Lawton, Mich., who, in response to last week's question — What would you do to make the All-Star Game more interesting? — want to see All-Stars born in the USA play against a team of international All-Stars.

Rumm calls it "athleticism vs. fundamentals." Reid says that format "would also help reinforce the NBA as a global game, which (Commissioner) David Stern has been trying to accomplish for years." (I said that too but)

The All-Star Game could use a jump-start, and this would truly make it a more competitive and meaningful game, as opposed to simply being an exhibition.

A few suggestions:

• Try the format every four years as preparation for the Olympics and select the Olympic team before the game.

• Play the game under international rules.

• Let the fans vote for the international All-Stars.

There were plenty of other suggestions on how to make the game more interesting.

"I would pick an eight-player All-Star team from each division," says Larry Dorfman of Indianapolis. "Then have the six All-Star teams square off in an All-Star tournament."

Daryl Dorsey of North Ridgeville, Ohio, wants to pick the teams differently. "It would be more interesting if, just like in pickup basketball, one team captain from each of the teams represented in the previous year's NBA Finals selected his starting five," Dorsey says. "The captain of the winner of the NBA Finals picks first. The captains would take turns picking from both the Eastern and Western Conference players. The fans would vote for the All-Star reserves."

Some fans want to see role players get some All-Star recognition. "I'd pick two random rookies and two random veterans," says Casandra Camacho of San Antonio, "guys who play with just as much effort and enthusiasm but ... never catch the public's eye. Adding them into the mix would make an All-Star Game exciting, unpredictable and fundamental."

Do away with the dunk contest, Tom Valentine of Minneapolis suggests, and replace it with a game of H-O-R-S-E. "It could be current players, legends or both," he says. "I think there is so much room for creativity and strategy. Not everyone has done a slam-dunk contest, but we all have played this game countless times."

Next week:

The All-Star starters will be announced next week, but who do you think the five starters in each conference should be?

Readers can match wits with David DuPree by e-mailing him at [email protected]. Tell him your opinion on next week's question, then check Tuesday's newspaper. Please include your name, city and state.

MadDoc :smokin :smokin

samikeyp
01-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Nice job, bro. :smokin

tekdragon
01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Awesome, Rummpd!

And I agree entirely...US vs. International All-Stars would be sweet...

Phenomanul
01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
"I would pick an eight-player All-Star team from each division," says Larry Dorfman of Indianapolis. "Then have the six All-Star teams square off in an All-Star tournament."

I've already supported the idea of having an All-Star game of U.S. vs. International played on Friday... and the East vs. West on Sunday... So it's good to see people like rummpd get the notion some national attention... it might very well happen one day... I don't, however, like the idea of playing with international rules... it's our chance to show the world that in our courts with THE rules for our game... the US should win...

Anyways.... this other format (bolded above) sounds very creative and would allow the fans to see more players.... I guess it would be an all day tourney... with reduced game minutes (say two quarters per contest or one twenty minute game) and would allow a particular division to own bragging rights for the year... if you wanted higher stakes how 'bout this: Only a team from the winning division can host the All-Star game the following year (hey... this is a big money item in the eyes of the owners)

ALVAREZ6
01-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I agree with the Philadelphian...( if that is how you spell it )

Rummpd
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Glad for 15 seconds at this stage of life.

MadDoc

chaco
01-25-2005, 06:14 PM
All-Stars USA vs international All-Stars !!!

starting line up ? Bench ?

T Park
01-25-2005, 07:43 PM
thats 15 seconds longer than alot of us will get.

Props.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Way To Go Brother!!!!!!