PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's game winning shot

jman3000
05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Just wondering how ya'll feel about this...

Good no call?

Did Bowen flop?

Blatant missed call?

From the replay it looked like Kobe obviously used his shoulder and off hand to create space and send Bowen flying... but on the other hand Bowen did look like he flew a little too far... but that may be understandable considering he was moving backwards at the time it occured.

I'm of the opinion that Kobe indeed did push off... but either way, we deserved to lose this game and I'm not gonna pin it on the refs.

lefty
05-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Let it go.

MVP, it was an obvious no-call

timvp
Bad flop. I thought it was the first real mistake Bowen made against Kobe all night.

Trainwreck2100
you don't call that crap in the playoffs

JamStone
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Maybe arguably an offensive foul, but you won't see that called ever at that point in the game, especially for a home team player, even more especially a superstar player. It was a good no-call all things considered.

DDS4
05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Bowen should have known better.

Kobe pushed off with his left arm but didn't extend. No way a ref is gonna call that.

Bowen was partially flopping and hoping for a call.

jman3000
05-22-2008, 12:18 AM
yeah... bowen looked at the ref about .5 seconds after kobe made contact with him... you just cant flop like that with the game on the line and giving up a wide open jumper to one of the best mid range players in the league. even if he did push off a little bit you cant expect that call... you man up and you put your mother fucking hands in his face.

1Parker1
05-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Bowen wasn't going to get that call. He exaggerated the contact and he should have played Kobe up straight. Perhaps because of his foul situation, Bowen tried to go for the offensive foul on Kobe. Too bad he backfired.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Bad flop. I thought it was the first real mistake Bowen made against Kobe all night.

Yep, Kobe might have pushed just a little, but it was never going to be a call and Bowen could and should have stayed with the shot. 'Course, Kobe might have hit it anyway.

Actually, it reminded me a little of the shot Rip Hamilton tried in game 5 of the 2005 Finals, after Horry hit his 3. TP didn't flop, stayed in front of him, and forced an off-balance jumper to seal the win.

loveforthegame
05-22-2008, 12:19 AM
I thought Bowen went with a bad flop and was looking for the refs to bail him out. Not going to happen in SA let alone in LA.

whottt
05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Fuck Kobe...Kobe had about 0% to do with this loss...

You blow a 20 point second half lead you have choked...plain and simple.

It's called pulling a Mav.

Pop gave this one away.

TheMACHINE
05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Bowen is really good at staying on Kobe...i dont know why he settled for the flop. I bet he coulda disrupted that shot too.

mexicanjunior
05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Good no call, no way I thought they would call Bryant on an offensive foul at that point of the game. Bowen should have stayed in front of him...

Ludovician
05-22-2008, 12:22 AM
I honestly think it could have been called a blocking foul on Bowen. I'm not saying it was, mind you, but it could have been with a crappier crew. No way was it an offensive foul, and especially not against the MVP at home. That was a stupid ass play by Bowen, period.

The only unequivocally bad call in this whole game was the Duncan OOB call, even Laker fans are admitting as much. But I literally yelled out "make up call!" on the following scramble for the ball which resulted in a Spurs possession. So the officials had next to nothing to do with this horrendous loss.

ipeefreely
05-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Good no call, no way I thought they would call Bryant on an offensive foul at that point of the game. Bowen should have stayed in front of him...

Myopic fan hahahahahah(go ahead look up myopia) LOL

God, deal with it, now its the refs? hahahahaha on the other thread it was Manures ankle....

Kobe slapped you up and down..... deal with it...

Game over..

psst. the team that wins game 1 wins 80% of the time.....:toast:lobt2:

jman3000
05-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Myopic fan hahahahahah(go ahead look up myopia) LOL

God, deal with it, now its the refs? hahahahaha on the other thread it was Manures ankle....

Kobe slapped you up and down..... deal with it...

Game over..

psst. the team that wins game 1 wins 80% of the time.....:toast:lobt2:

hollinger? is that you?

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Kobe pushed off first, then he lowered his shoulder and ran into Bowen.

The push-off alone should have been a no call, but lowering a shoulder is an automatic foul, especially combined with the push-off.

If Bowen were the shooter and Kobe the defender it would have been an offensive foul and you know it.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-22-2008, 12:28 AM
oh come on
kobe was kobe
bowen shouldn't have flopped
bad calculation on bowen's part, but sheesh the guy deserves a pass

TheMACHINE
05-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Kobe pushed off first, then he lowered his shoulder and ran into Bowen.

The push-off alone should have been a no call, but lowering a shoulder is an automatic foul, especially combined with the push-off.

If Bowen were the shooter and Kobe the defender it would have been an offensive foul and you know it.

How does it feel to be the only guy in the world who thinks it was an offensive foul?

GSH
05-22-2008, 12:31 AM
The truth is, the game-winning shots happened starting at 5:40 in the third quarter. Kobe made 2 jumpers and a 3-pointer, 2 free throws, and dished out 4 assists to Pau Gasol. All in about 5 minutes time. The Spurs went from a 20 point lead to a 7 point lead.

During that same stretch, Duncan missed a jumper, a layup, and 2 free throws. Ginobili turned the ball over twice, and Finley missed a 3-pointer.

Forget what happened on one play at the end of the game. Whether Kobe pushed off or not, he put the little ball through the ring. Our guys didn't. A whole bunch of times. If that was a bad call, all it would have taken to overcome it was for the Spurs to make a few open shots.

T Park
05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Bowen is really good at staying on Kobe...i dont know why he settled for the flop. I bet he coulda disrupted that shot too.

I think I'm gonna have a heart attack.

A Laker fan who gives respect to Bowen....

dbreiden83080
05-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Bowen flopped Kobe did his thing, you are not going to get that call.

Budkin
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Bowen slipped before Kobe drove and gave him all the space he needed. It was an automatic two for Kobe. The guy is really fucking good. But the Spurs are a better team and will still take the series. Book it.

IronMexican
05-22-2008, 12:36 AM
you guys are honest, thanks for that, jazzfans.com would be calling major BS on that one, but thats how losers think, and the spurs aren't losers, they blame no one but themselves.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM

YellowFever
05-22-2008, 12:47 AM
This thread is a prime reason why I have respect for the Spurs fans (Umm...except for the obvious few of you that kept....well, you know who you are)

Maybe in the third quarter that was a foul ..maybe even in the early fourth that was a foul, (offensive of defensive).

But in the last minute of a close game during the playoffs?

No way.

That's a time when an offensive player gets away with more than he should and also a time when defensive players get away with the same.

The refs just swallow their whistles during that time and if you don't know it by now..wtf have you learned about playoff basketball???

:toast to those of you who grudgingly think it was the right no call.

I woulda felt the same way if it was on the other foot.

itzsoweezee
05-22-2008, 12:48 AM
there's no way any ref would have made that call with that much time left in the game. kobe fouled but it's wasn't that blatant.

Ludovician
05-22-2008, 12:49 AM

Very possibly, but here's the thing; Kobe was the shooter, and Bowen was the defender. He's supposed to be "veteran savvy", and instead made a rookie mistake in a big time moment. It's even worse because it wasn't a desperation move after a blown defense, he could have actually disrupted the shot. It's his fault and nobody else's.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:50 AM
This thread is a prime reason why I have respect for the Spurs fans (Umm...except for the obvious few of you that kept....well, you know who you are)

Maybe in the third quarter that was a foul ..maybe even in the early fourth that was a foul, (offensive of defensive).

But in the last minute of a close game during the playoffs?

No way.

That's a time when an offensive player gets away with more than he should and also a time when defensive players get away with the same.

The refs just swallow their whistles during that time and if you don't know it by now..wtf have you learned about playoff basketball???

:toast to those of you who grudgingly think it was the right no call.

I woulda felt the same way if it was on the other foot.

Oh, I see what you're saying, like when Manu DIDN'T get called for the foul on Dirk in 2006!

Fillmoe
05-22-2008, 12:51 AM
you don't call that crap in the playoffs

I agree

YellowFever
05-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Oh, I see what you're saying, like when Manu DIDN'T get called for the foul on Dirk in 2006!

As you can see from a Laker fan/Spurs fan perspective in this or any other thread, fouls are, alot of the times, subjective.

Let it go, dude...

I wish I can comment on the play you were refering to but I have no recollection whatsoever about that play.

zepn
05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Very possibly, but here's the thing; Kobe was the shooter, and Bowen was the defender. He's supposed to be "veteran savvy", and instead made a rookie mistake in a big time moment. It's even worse because it wasn't a desperation move after a blown defense, he could have actually disrupted the shot. It's his fault and nobody else's.

Uh, no. It was a bad no-call. First Bowen was pushed off on, the he was ran into with a lowered shoulder.

If Bowen had run into Kobe with a lowered shoulder it would have been a foul. If you don't believe that you are just naive.

Ludovician
05-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Uh, no. It was a bad no-call. First Bowen was pushed off on, the he was ran into with a lowered shoulder.

If Bowen had run into Kobe with a lowered shoulder it would have been a foul. If you don't believe that you are just naive.

You're the one who's naive if you think that's a meaningful argument. If all things were equal, yes, that would be so. But that's not the NBA I've watched for fifteen years, and it's not the NBA Bruce Bowen has played in for fifteen years. He ought to, and does, know better, and he made a horrendous play, period.

Medvedenko
05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Fuck Kobe...Kobe had about 0% to do with this loss...

You blow a 20 point second half lead you have choked...plain and simple.

It's called pulling a Mav.

Pop gave this one away.

That's a classic Whottt take.....really 0%.....

zepn
05-22-2008, 01:16 AM
You're the one who's naive if you think that's a meaningful argument. If all things were equal, yes, that would be so. But that's not the NBA I've watched for fifteen years, and it's not the NBA Bruce Bowen has played in for fifteen years. He ought to, and does, know better, and he made a horrendous play, period.

It should be a foul for ANY player to lower his shoulder and run into another player - especially at the end of the game. Even if your name is Kobe.