PDA

View Full Version : Does Pop believe in Tim in crunch time anymore?

TDfan2007
05-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Tim was having a fantastic game and on that last possession instead of giving him the ball we watched an awkward Tony drive and an even worse looking 3 by Manu.

As a matter of fact, Pop rarely goes to Tim to win games anymore, it's usually always Manu up top.

Tim is clutch and has hit plenty of game winners before when the plays were called for him, I don't understand why we deviate so much from him on game-winning plays...

Cant_Be_Faded
05-22-2008, 12:53 AM
Yes he does, which is why he kept going 4 down with 1on1 coverage from Gasol. Unfortunately, Duncan missed. Every time.

T Park
05-22-2008, 12:53 AM
I'd say clutch wise Manu > Duncan.

and I love Duncan to death.

If anything like Aggie said, Horry should've gotten the shot.

baseline bum
05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
If the game goes to OT the Lakers win by 10+. Anything less than a three on that possession was a loss.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't iso anybody in clutch time..Pop is a great playcaller, he should just run a good play..

I agree with the poster that posted before me, Horry should have got the shot..why run a play for Ginobili? he's been our clutchest player, but everybody knows Manu is a streak shooter..

1Parker1
05-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Bigger question is does Tim believe in Tim in crunch time anymore? He frickin passed up a wide open jumper just beyong the foul line with Odom on him and passed to udoka who had just airballed a 3 pointer the previous possession. :pctoss

hitmanyr2k
05-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Tim was having a fantastic game and on that last possession instead of giving him the ball we watched an awkward Tony drive and an even worse looking 3 by Manu.

As a matter of fact, Pop rarely goes to Tim to win games anymore, it's usually always Manu up top.

Tim is clutch and has hit plenty of game winners before when the plays were called for him, I don't understand why we deviate so much from him on game-winning plays...

Getting the ball to Ginobili at the top of the key resulted in him getting trapped but he delivered two perfect passes to a wide open Tim Duncan at the foul line who could have gone to the rim or easily taken a dribble and pulled up for a 10 foot shot. Do you remember what Duncan did with the ball both times? How the fuck can you be that wide open and not shoot? That was Kevin Garnett type shit right there.

mystargtr34
05-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Its not common to have your final play by dumping it down in the post... you have a greater chance of creating something not just for urself but for others from the perimeter.

And what the fuck is with Tony and Manu dumping the ball to Tim about 20 feet from the basket with about 4 seconds to go in the shot clock...

I counted at least 3, maybe 4 possession where we dribbled and dribbled nd dribbled and then just gave it to Tim with 4 seconds left about 20 feet form the bucket and es forced to put a shitty shot.... just drive the ball and try get a foul

Phil Hellmuth
05-22-2008, 01:04 AM
You go for a 3 in that situation EVERY TIME.

1. refs
2. staples center
3. tired from monday
4. Kobe

TDfan2007
05-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Bigger question is does Tim believe in Tim in crunch time anymore? He frickin passed up a wide open jumper just beyong the foul line with Odom on him and passed to udoka who had just airballed a 3 pointer the previous possession. :pctoss

I don't know anymore...but I'm getting sick and tired of him being so indecisive and passive at times. I'm also sick and tired of all the bricked jumpshots. I mean fuckin A if you hit them in practice constantly and were hitting them against PHX, why the fuck aren't they going in now?

:depressed

dbreiden83080
05-22-2008, 01:13 AM
I don't know anymore...but I'm getting sick and tired of him being so indecisive and passive at times. I'm also sick and tired of all the bricked jumpshots. I mean fuckin A if you hit them in practice constantly and were hitting them against PHX, why the fuck aren't they going in now?

:depressed

Oh give me a break he was great tonight. They did not give him the touches when they should have down the stretch. The bitch of this game is we wasted a great game by Tim and now if he is less than stellar in game 2, we may lose and go down 0-2.

TDfan2007
05-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Oh give me a break he was great tonight. They did not give him the touches when they should have down the stretch. The bitch of this game is we wasted a great game by Tim and now if he is less than stellar in game 2, we may lose and go down 0-2.

I hate it when Tim has these great games and we lose. That, coupled with our D-league performance in the 2nd half was enough to make me want to break my TV.

And yes, Tim was great, but he was also extremely passive on a few key possessions. It just seemed that he was afraid of screwing up late in the game...much like the rest of our guys. THe choking got contagous. But I know that Tim's 4th quarter play was FAR from the reason why we lost.

Spurs3000
05-22-2008, 01:33 AM

You make it sound like Duncan having a great game is some kind of once-in-a-month occurrence that needs to be cherished. The man is supposed to be a fucking franchise player. He should be having great games all the time.

And for the record, despite his stats, Duncan's performance in LA cannot possibly be declared all "great". He wasn't able to deliver in when it counted - worse yet, a couple of times he didn't even have the courage to try. IMO he got plenty of touches, but at some point all the hesitating and avoidance of responsibility starts to have an effect on your teammates.

TDfan2007
05-22-2008, 01:36 AM
You make it sound like Duncan having a great game is some kind of once-in-a-month occurrence that needs to be cherished. The man is supposed to be a fucking franchise player. He should be having great games all the time.

And for the record, despite his stats, Duncan's performance in LA cannot possibly be declared all "great". He wasn't able to deliver in when it counted - worse yet, a couple of times he didn't even have the courage to try. IMO he got plenty of touches, but at some point all the hesitating and avoidance of responsibility starts to have an effect on your teammates.

Not really...he played a fantastic game on both ends of the floor and Phil realized this and got the ball out of Tim's hands in the final 6 mins of the 4th. Nobody else could step up and hit a shot though. My beef is with Pop and refusing to ever call plays for Tim in crunch time since 03. The guy delivers time and time again in the clutch, he's not KG, and yet we don't go to him.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2008, 01:44 AM
Its not common to have your final play by dumping it down in the post... you have a greater chance of creating something not just for urself but for others from the perimeter.

And what the fuck is with Tony and Manu dumping the ball to Tim about 20 feet from the basket with about 4 seconds to go in the shot clock...

I counted at least 3, maybe 4 possession where we dribbled and dribbled nd dribbled and then just gave it to Tim with 4 seconds left about 20 feet form the bucket and es forced to put a shitty shot.... just drive the ball and try get a foul

Duncan actually missed 6 shots where he was put in a bad situation at the end of the shot clock..

but I agree with most in this thread..Timmy should have took the shots down the stretch..at least he tied the game with his tip though..he was the only one that seemed to score in the 4th..