PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Go As Far As Ginobili Can (New Article)

greens
05-22-2008, 05:29 AM
With all the Manu bashing going on as to be expected, I found a nice article. And yes, he had a horrible game. There are really no words to describe it.

Spurs go as far as Ginobili can
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmN8qXORxUGfT6Omavi6.k.M0bYF?slug=jy-ginobilihurting052208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
By Johnny Ludden, Yahoo! Sports 51 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES – Most of the San Antonio Spurs already had cleared out of the locker room by the time Manu Ginobili finally lifted himself off the training table late Wednesday. He had a long red scratch on his left shoulder, another on his waist, and one of the fingernails from his trusted shooting hand was missing, battle scars all. Each step toward the shower seemed to bring only more pain.

Brent Barry nicknamed Ginobili El Contusión because of nights like this, and that’s what has to concern the Spurs most about Wednesday. They’re strong enough to stomach wasting a 20-point lead in 18 minutes, but they won’t catch these Los Angeles Lakers if Ginobili’s body won’t let them.

Ginobili only would say he had “a couple of issues.” Among those issues: 10 missed shots and four turnovers. But Issue No. 1? Ginobili gave that away an hour before tip-off as he tried to stand on a rubber ball.

“What’s that for?” asked a foreign reporter.

“This is what you do,” Ginobili said, “when you have problems with your ankle.”

Ginobili jammed his left ankle in the opening game of the playoffs against the Phoenix Suns, and he hasn’t been the same since. Compensating for the injury also stressed his groin, but the sore ankle is what has lingered the most. Ginobili still has played brilliantly at times in these playoffs, scoring 29 and 31 points in separate games against the Suns and New Orleans Hornets. But each of those performances was preceded by two days of rest. Given only one day off between games, he’s averaging 14.4 points while shooting worse than 38 percent.

The problem for the Spurs: Every game in these West finals is separated by just one off day.

One Spurs official already was worried before the team even bused out of the arena in New Orleans. Ginobili, he said, had nothing left in the tank. He had given everything in the final two games against the Hornets just to push the Spurs into the conference finals.

What the official didn’t know at the time was that Ginobili and the rest of the Spurs were about to lose one of the two nights of sleep they had coming to them. Gregg Popovich wouldn’t blame Champion Airlines for Wednesday’s series-opening collapse, though he could. Spending the night on a tarmac makes for a good story, but little else. The Spurs coach paced the plane’s aisle telling his players this was just “one more challenge,” but this was a challenge they didn’t need – and for reasons more than comfort.

“We learned,” Barry said, “that Matt Bonner likes to sleep in the nude.”

Bonner in the buff is good for a nightmare or two, and the Spurs probably had another sleepless night after Wednesday’s meltdown. A victory would have shouldered the Lakers with pressure they haven’t had to face in these playoffs.

“Hurts like hell,” Popovich said of the loss.

Popovich wisely didn’t fault the short turnaround between series. The Spurs know the drill. You want a break? Then get your work done early.

Still, Lakers coach Phil Jackson cited fatigue as a likely reason the Spurs made only three shots in the fourth quarter and just one in the final 7˝ minutes. San Antonio didn’t win four championships by setting franchise records for air-balled three-pointers.

Fatigue comes in different forms, and there’s no denying the Lakers wore on the Spurs with their aggressiveness. The game changed when Jackson left Kobe Bryant on the floor with the Lakers’ two young reserves, Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar.

Vujacic particularly troubled Ginobili. He’s longer than he looks, and his Laker Girl hairband only masks his toughness. Spurs officials admitted their players were bothered by his energy. Jackson said his Slovenian guard had one of his best defensive games.

Ginobili certainly didn’t see defense like this against New Orleans. The Hornets played off him throughout the series, conceding the three-point line. That was a mistake for two reasons: Ginobili can shoot; and he hasn’t had his usual burst throughout the playoffs. Finishing at the rim has been difficult for him.

When Ginobili went to the bench for the first time Wednesday, he repeatedly tried to stretch his foot. He admitted afterward his ankle had bothered him, but didn’t want to discuss the injury. “Nothing that bad,” he said, “that can justify the way I played.”(for those fans who are complaining that he's whining about his injuries)

Ginobili wasn’t alone in his struggles. Tony Parker made only one of his seven shots in the second half. Michael Finley missed all five of his, and Tim Duncan had four of the Spurs’ 10 turnovers in the final two quarters. The Spurs also didn’t give away this game as much as Bryant, in his typical greatness, took it from them.

“I really believe if you’re up 20, even if you’re tired, you just have to be smart,” Ginobili said. “We always talk about how experienced we are. We didn’t show it.”

No Spur burns more after losses. When his late foul on Dirk Nowitzki helped lead to the Spurs’ season-ending Game 7 loss to Dallas two years ago, Ginobili fell into a deep enough funk that his teammates worried for days about him. That competitiveness has helped carry the Spurs through their championship era. They’ve leaned on Ginobili in their biggest moments, and they did so again Wednesday.

Trailing by two in the closing seconds, the ball swung to Ginobili in the corner. He set his feet, lined up the shot and fired. As soon as the ball left his hand, Ginobili knew he had missed.

“I didn’t take a good shot,” he said. “Another thing that helps get me upset.”

Frustrated and tired, Ginobili limped out of the locker room. He’ll have Thursday to rest. Popovich won’t put the Spurs through practice. He’ll gather them in a hotel ballroom, show some film and tell his guys they played well for 30 minutes and that they need to play better for 18 more.

Popovich also will hope for something else. If the Spurs are going to win, El Contusión must be ready to ride again.

carina_gino20
05-22-2008, 05:48 AM
This is why it's hard to rag on Ginobili when he plays like a total ass, which he did last night. If you've watched Manu religiously through the years, you know that even though it sucks watching your team lose like this, Manu feels it WAAAAYYYY worse than others.

The one thing I'm worried about in this series, especially for Manu, is really the quick turnarounds. I just hope he'll make better decisions next game. And I can live with missed shots (not too many, please), because with his banged up body, it's expected. But he's got to take care of that ball better and stick with sure passes. I don't think injuries make you throw a ball into traffic. We don't need fancy, Manu. We just need perfect.

greens
05-22-2008, 05:54 AM
This is why it's hard to rag on Ginobili when he plays like a total ass, which he did last night. If you've watched Manu religiously through the years, you know that even though it sucks watching your team lose like this, Manu feels it WAAAAYYYY worse than others.

The one thing I'm worried about in this series, especially for Manu, is really the quick turnarounds. I just hope he'll make better decisions next game. And I can live with missed shots (not too many, please), because with his banged up body, it's expected. But he's got to take care of that ball better and stick with sure passes. I don't think injuries make you throw a ball into traffic. We don't need fancy, Manu. We just need perfect.

You're right. There were plenty of mental errors by Manu in this game. Bad passes and bad decisions.

Just an all around bad game for him.

1Parker1
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Vujacic particularly troubled Ginobili. He’s longer than he looks, and his Laker Girl hairband only masks his toughness.
:lol

I actually disagree with this article. I don't think we need Manu to be SuperManu this series to win. Spurs have a decided edge with Duncan and Parker that if Ginobili just plays smarter and does the usual little things we're used to, Spurs can still win. Case in point was yesterday. Spurs got the 20+ point lead with Ginobili playing horrible on both offense and defense. In the 3rd and 4th quarters, his TO's, his shot selections, and his overdribbling didn't exactly help the Spurs. Of course Duncan/Parker not stepping up also hurt them. But those two are healthy enough to carry the Spurs past the Lakers.

Instead, Spurs are now in a dogfight and the Lakers have all the confidence in the world. They know that no matter what, they have the best player on the floor on their team.

Dex
05-22-2008, 09:15 AM
If Manu can be a key role-player like he was last year, and other role-players step up and knock down their shots, then i think this Spurs team can handle the Lakers.

Last night, he wasn't even able to accomplish that. It was one of the rare cases where Manu's mistakes were greater than the sum of his contributions.

Cherry
05-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Bashing Manu is easy when he's tired and injured, rigth? Oh! if we lost this series it will be his fault because he was tired and injured.

Get a clue.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
the spurs probably only need manu to play smart and dont create so many turnovers. vujacic clearly owned him last night - fisher can't guard parker, duncan eats gasol so you just need manu to play smart and you get the win.

2Cleva
05-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Ginobili still has played brilliantly at times in these playoffs, scoring 29 and 31 points in separate games against the Suns and New Orleans Hornets. But each of those performances was preceded by two days of rest. Given only one day off between games, he’s averaging 14.4 points while shooting worse than 38 percent.

The problem for the Spurs: Every game in these West finals is separated by just one off day.

One Spurs official already was worried before the team even bused out of the arena in New Orleans. Ginobili, he said, had nothing left in the tank. He had given everything in the final two games against the Hornets just to push the Spurs into the conference finals.

It's not going to be much better for Ginobili in this series.

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
So if Ginobli's scoring output stays where its at who is going to pick up the scoring load?

Duncan was a beast last night, but lets be serious he isn't going to average 30 and 18 every night. Parker will probably put up 20 with ease. You gotta rely on Barry, Bowen, Udoka, Finley, and Horry to score a good chunk of pts if Ginobli can't.

Capt Bringdown
05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
San Antonio didn’t win four championships by setting franchise records for air-balled three-pointers.

This quote says it all IMO.

So many articles leading up this game praising the Spurs for their "championship experience."

Win or lose this series, I'll never understand the Spurs mentality during this epic, monumental breakdown.

SAGambler
05-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Okay, Manu had a less than stellar night.

But why we lost?

Finley 0 for 5
Vaughn 0 pts.
Horry 0 pts.
Barry 2 pts.
Thomas 2 pts.

5 players account for a whopping 4 points.

We have to have more than this from our bench.

pawe
05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
the advantage clearly is on the PG and PF positions so Manu doesnt have to go apeshit. we coulda clearly won the game if manu just had his average nights. What sucks about the injury is he uses that foot to plant so he can change directions for a drive to the basket. Dang, I hope Manu gets better coz they will need him.

Say-Townbball
05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
You're right. There were plenty of mental errors by Manu in this game. Bad passes and bad decisions.

Just an all around bad game for him.

Yep. It was like he tried to hard, and it fucked him in the end.

Do Manu! That's all we ask!

SpurYank
05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Let's quantify our loss:

Bench scoring

mrspurs
05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
just game one....i thought the spurs took the same game plan they used with NO, only this isnt NO...pop will make the correct adjustments, and game 2 will be better for manu and the rest of the spurs.......get some sleep boys, get used to the 2hr difference as well........go spurs go

SpurYank
05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Let me finish this:

Bench scoring = 20
Manu's injuries = 20
Running out of gas = 40
Lakers' strength = 20
Total = 100%

sassystriker
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Manu has been pushing himself since the injury. How bout, let's all just lay off him for a while. The ugly r3g1 play, bad decisions, turnovers, the injuries, its all there and it already happened. But one thing is that, Manu is a competitor who loves winning. He never gives up without a fight. So no matter what, he'll show up and play hard, with or without injuries, coz he always plays to win.

You and I have seen that numerous times.

Princess Pimp
05-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Just die already!