PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 Thoughts - The Laker Side

2Cleva
05-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Someone usually does this for the Spurs (and I'm sure they still will - TIMVP I think) but they are understandably upset right now - so here is the flip side.

1 - No better way to get a victory for the Lakers. As a team, LA didn't play with confidence, most of them were in reverance of the Spurs. But they know they took one of the Spurs best shots and they still got it done.

2 - Kobe = MVP. 'Nuf said.

3 - Duncan still falls for the banana in the tailpipe in the 4th quarter. He can score all he want in the first 3 but when LA finally brings the traps in the 4th he has the deer in the headlights look. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

4 - Tony Parker is the biggest threat for the Spurs and keeping his penetration to a minimum was key. These aren't the Shaq Lakers when it comes to P&R - LA defends it well. LA just needs to adjust if/when Parker goes one-on-one off the dribble without the pick.

5 - LA's role players have confidence again. What Radmanovic, Farmar, and Turiaf gave was huge. I expect Walton to get better and Ariza will be back shortly as well.

6 - God bless Pop for going smallball. I'll take Finley guarding Odom and the more Pop does this, the faster tempo the games will be. And we all know he's not going to go away from it. Way to go, Pop!

7 - I knew Ginobili would have problems with LA's size but its funny how he doesn't have the gas tank to consistently play 40 a night.

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
3 - Duncan still falls for the banana in the tailpipe in the 4th quarter. He can score all he want in the first 3 but when LA finally brings the traps in the 4th he has the deer in the headlights look. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I pretty much agree with all your points, except this one. I mean, yes, it is more difficult when Tim is doubled, but it may backfire if our perimeter shooting is on. That's why Phil is not a big fan of the double-team (at least not early on).

SenorSpur
05-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Pop playing small was ill-advised during that stage of the game when the Fakers were mounting that comeback. If I'm Jackson, Finley on Gasol is matchup I'd exploit every time.

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Pop playing small was ill-advised during that stage of the game when the Fakers were mounting that comeback. If I'm Jackson, Finley on Gasol is matchup I'd exploit every time.

I think the starters were tired -- it sure looked like they were running out of gas. I know -- no excuses. Do you think the Lakers would kindly spend the night in an airplane for us?

byrontx
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Last night's game really increased my confidence that the Spurs will prevail in this series. Considering the last of rest between games and in major part of that spent on a plane I am not surprised they ran out of gas. Manu had nothing in his tank to even start the game. Juiced up and rested they will deliver a whopping on the Lakers. Spurs in 6.

SenorSpur
05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
I think the starters were tired -- it sure looked like they were running out of gas. I know -- no excuses. Do you think the Lakers would kindly spend the night in an airplane for us?

Pop did a pretty good job of using his bench during the game. However, the starters were largely responsible for a lot of the damage too. I don't give a shit how tired they were. You DO NOT give up a large lead like that - EVER.

1Parker1
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Phily basically did what Pop did to NO in Game 7. He kept sending different looks to Duncan and Parker in the 2nd half. He began sending double teams to Duncan at times and he sent two hard defenders at Parker off screens to get the ball out of his hands.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
You DO NOT give up a large lead like that - EVER.

Except the Spurs did that a lot this season...when they pushed the lead to 65-45, I was thinking "they're gonna need every one of those 20 points in the 4th quarter, because the Lakers are gonna make a run." I was right, like I usually am about these things. As soon as the Lakers cut the lead to 6, I knew it was all over for the Spurs...they just hit the wall.

Game 2 will be different, though...The Spurs will be rested and will win by double digits...they will have the momentum going back home to SA.

SPURS IN 6... :hat

SAGambler
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Naw. Stern won't mess with their plane!!!!

2Cleva
05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
I pretty much agree with all your points, except this one. I mean, yes, it is more difficult when Tim is doubled, but it may backfire if our perimeter shooting is on. That's why Phil is not a big fan of the double-team (at least not early on).

The Spurs live off open 3 point shots through the traffic and creation caused by their big 3. LA refused to double any of the big 3 early which prevents the Spurs to getting into a 3 point rythym. Thats why no early double on Duncan - every 3 is contested and as a result come the 4th, the players are more trigger shy and aren't ready to shoot (ie Parker dropping the ball on the swingout in the 4th).

LA has everything to do with the Spurs poor 3point shooting.

fitzgerald
05-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Except the Spurs did that a lot this season...when they pushed the lead to 65-45, I was thinking "they're gonna need every one of those 20 points in the 4th quarter, because the Lakers are gonna make a run." I was right, like I usually am about these things. As soon as the Lakers cut the lead to 6, I knew it was all over for the Spurs...they just hit the wall.

Game 2 will be different, though...The Spurs will be rested and will win by double digits...they will have the momentum going back home to SA.

SPURS IN 6... :hat

How can the Spurs be rested if the game is tomorrow? Spurs need 2 to 3 days to rest up. They will play Friday and Sunday. That is an advantage to the lakers for sure. Spurs will lose by double digits on Friday.

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 09:35 AM
If fatigue was a problem in this game then it will be a problem the entire series. The Spurs only get 1 day rest between games, which means they get the exact amount of time off they did before the start of Game 1.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
7 - I knew Ginobili would have problems with LA's size but its funny how he doesn't have the gas tank to consistently play 40 a night.

He's not used to play 40 minute games during the season - that's the way the Spurs team is set up. IF he's not used to play that many minutes you can't expect him to play like that out of the blue.

2Cleva
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
He's not used to play 40 minute games during the season - that's the way the Spurs team is set up. IF he's not used to play that many minutes you can't expect him to play like that out of the blue.

Agreed. Yet he's starting now, when he's obviously hurt, and he has a big bulls-eye on his jersey.

Its not going to get any easier for Ginobili.

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 09:42 AM
If fatigue is a problem now, how do you expect things to get any better as this series progresses? The entire Big 3 are playing bigtime minutes because Pop doesn't trust his bench.

The Lakers, OTOH, will always have fresh legs because Phil is going to trust the 2nd unit no matter what.

aka_USAPA
05-22-2008, 09:51 AM

I saw Duncan being double-teamed last night. Not a lot but what the Lakers are doing is timing the double team. The let Duncan setup and just as soon as he is about to make his final shot, a quick double-team comes his way. Also, look for the Lakers to copy what the Jazz were doing to Gasol. When Gasol was posting low, he had single coverage but when he goes for his shot, their guards picked the ball off his hands. It worked a lot but the Lakers picked up on it and started doing the same to Boozer. Granted, Boozer is no Tim Duncan but just to let Duncan think twice about his shots. Gasol will never stop Duncan 1-1, nobody can but he should play better defensively the next game.

michaelwcho
05-22-2008, 10:07 AM
You DO NOT give up a large lead like that - EVER.

Except we did the same in Game 7 against the Hornets.

SpurYank
05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
No, no, no. Neither Kobe nor the Lakers beat us last night. We simply went cold and couldn't score. We've done this all year long. We always recover in time to win the games we need to win. My guess is we will win handily tomorrow, and again at home on Sunday and Tuesday.

There are better teams than the Lakers watching this series. All you have is Kobe. This is a team sport.

O-Factor
05-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I love how laker fan thinks we will be fatigued the entire series. Eat it up :lol

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
I love how laker fan thinks we will be fatigued the entire series. Eat it up :lol

Your fans are pussies for constantly bringing up fatigue and the refs as excuses why you lost.

O-Factor
05-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Your fans are pussies for constantly bringing up fatigue and the refs as excuses why you lost.

Well it is the reason we lost. Two nights of proper rest will do us good enough to take the win on Friday.

But you and you fagget fan base can go ahead and eat up your excuses, circle jerk eachother, pathetically troll, rah-rah, or whatever the fuck.

SPARKY
05-22-2008, 10:22 AM

At least we aren't glory seeking trolling bitches. It's a shame about your Rockets. Maybe next season.

O-Factor
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
timvp's game thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any laker fan game thoughts

wildchild
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
timvp's game thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any laker fan game thoughts

Amen. No more words.

FlAVaK
05-22-2008, 10:59 AM
any thoughts >>> no thoughts

wildbill2u
05-22-2008, 11:22 AM
If you shoot 3-17 (or whatever the final numbers were) in the 4th quarter, you are going to lose to a good team. simple as that.

Sure, fatigue takes the legs out from under you, but someone has to make a shot occasionally and we didn't.

trjons
05-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Last night's game really increased my confidence that the Spurs will prevail in this series. Considering the last of rest between games and in major part of that spent on a plane I am not surprised they ran out of gas. Manu had nothing in his tank to even start the game. Juiced up and rested they will deliver a whopping on the Lakers. Spurs in 6.

As a Laker fan, my confidence that the Lakers would win the series if they won Game 1 was 80%. If they hadn't come back, it would have been more like 20%.

Given how poorly the Lakers played, how rusty they looked, and how easily they shut down the Spurs when the game was on the line, my confidence is more like 85% now.

I was thinking Lakers in 6 but now I think we get a split in San Antonio and wrap it up in 5.