PDA

View Full Version : There are some positives to game 1

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 07:57 AM
In stretches, Bowen can guard Kobe pretty effectively.

The Lakers don't really have an answer for Tony and repeatedely let him into the paint.

Tim is going to have some good games against the Lakers because Phil doesn't want to double him too much.

If Manu doesn't have such a poor game, the outcome would be different.

Tony doesn't have to contend with defending CP3

Odom is not as good as David West

-----

On the flip-side...

Lakers bench >>> Hornets bench

Lakers have two Peja's and Bruce has his hands full with Kobiashi

Kobi is Kobi

Gasol is pretty nifty around the rim

florige
05-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Yeah I agree. And for once the refs actually let the two teams pretty much play in the 4th. Lets hope the refs still call a pretty good series in LA like last night. There were alot of drives that Kobe had that normally he would have gotten calls for and didn't. That was another positive I saw too. Lets hope it stays that way throughout the series on both sides of the ball.

Allanon
05-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Damn good non-homeristic posts both of you.

I only disagree that Odom isn't as good as David West. West is a better scorer but I think Odom brings as much in other areas. He was not good last night but I think he'll get better.

Good luck in the next game.

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah I agree. And for once the refs actually let the two teams pretty much play in the 4th. Lets hope the refs still call a pretty good series in LA like last night. There were alot of drives that Kobe had that normally he would have gotten calls for and didn't. That was another positive I saw too. Lets hope it stays that way throughout the series on both sides of the ball.

Dan Crawford has a lot to do with that.

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM

I only disagree that Odom isn't as good as David West. West is a better scorer but I think Odom brings as much in other areas. He was not good last night but I think he'll get better.

Well, Odom is perhaps a better defender, but West is definitely a better perimeter shooter.

Also, unlike a lot of fans here, I don't think the Spurs choked so much as the Lakers just took the game away from them.

Looking forward to game 2. Unfortunately for us, I see game 2 being a high-scoring game.

florige
05-22-2008, 08:22 AM

Yeah Odom is alot more versatile than West being as though he can hit the outside shot, and take the ball up the court on the break and score. Also he gives you guys those hustle plays that never show up on the stat sheets too. Containing him is crucial if we are to beat you guys. Thats why last nights lost was so crushing because you know that when he is on, he is REALLY on! We really let one get away from us yesterday.

florige
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, Odom is perhaps a better defender, but West is definitely a better perimeter shooter.

Also, unlike a lot of fans here, I don't think the Spurs choked so much as the Lakers just took the game away from them.

Looking forward to game 2. Unfortunately for us, I see game 2 being a high-scoring game.

Really!

I'm just not in any hurry to start trading baskets with Kobe in the 4th. Thats a battle that doesn't favor us....:lol

m33p0
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
tim, tony and bruce almost won the game for the spurs last night. if only manu showed up. game 1 was the best chance for the spurs to steal a game. game 2 will much tougher.

DarrinS
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Really!

I'm just not in any hurry to start trading baskets with Kobe in the 4th. Thats a battle that doesn't favor us....:lol

I think Kobe will take more than 2 shots in first half on Friday. That first half was really bizarre.

Slippy
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Spurs fans that are freaking out need to go watch the game again. See Tony parker in the second half, slow it down often instead of upping the tempo and playing aggressive like he did in the first. Watch the whole team pass up open shots in the 4th that they had no problem taking in the first half. See Bruce take a simple bump off Kobe and then show no energy in recovering to defend him. Ask yourselfs why Pop was subbing a lot, even leaving Bowen out when Kobe started to go off in the 3rd. The Spurs got tired and it shouldn't really surprise us. For me, that's a negative that could also be looked at as a positive going into the next game . The problem is, I'm not sure one day of rest is long enough for this old team.

florige
05-22-2008, 08:34 AM
I think Kobe will take more than 2 shots in first half on Friday. That first half was really bizarre.

Yeah thats why I'm so pissed we couldn't capitalize on this. I def think he's going to waaay more aggressive in the 1st half. Expect him to drive alot more and take whatever is given to him. But you are right Bowen did play him pretty good though.

baseline bum
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Fuck that shit. There's not a positive thing the Spurs can take out of last night. The Lakers sucked ass, got down 20, and the fucking Spurs blew it. LA was awful the first 2 1/2 quarters, and wasn't that good in the 4th either. The Spurs rolled over and died. There's nothing good that can be said about last night.

LA has to be feeling great to get a win in a game they played so badly in.

xtremesteven33
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
its easy to say IF ONLY spurs made this shot, or IF ONLY spurs got this call. lets face it, the Lakers played like crap and still won this game. that is what scares me the most. i know the spurs didnt play thier best basketball either but these 20 point lead oppurtunities against the Lakers do not come often. i expect the Lakers to come out better in game 2 with confidence up the bunghole. all spurs need to do is weather the laker runs and no easy baskets. hit some of thier 3's and commit less TO's.

i do say this. if spurs lose game 2. i see little to no chance of them winning this series.

BiZNicK
05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
If we make Odom a jump shooter, he turns into a non-threat. All he did in game 1 was try to score in the paint which the Spurs did not allow him to do. David West had a back-up plan, which was a reliable jumpshot. And I can see that Duncan is able to shut down Gasol 1 on 1. Gasol was fortunate to get some easy points from Kobe's alley-oop passes.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Spurs in 6.

BiZNicK
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Spurs in 6.

:flag:

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
the spurs played good basketball until they ran out of gas.. actually they started the game like they were still playing the hornets at NO. The 20 pt lead I was afraid it was too much, the spurs never blow out teams and you could see they were tired. For a moment there I thought they could still pull it out winning by 3 or 5 as the lakers were in deep hole but Kobe was a monster. If it wasn't for Kobe in the 4th quarter the spurs would have taken the game anywya, playing tired and like garbage.

I do believe that with a couple of real rest nights, energy will come back and as they go into the series things will improve. The lakers will get tired as well and they already know this isn't the nuggets or the jazz.

In all honesty before the game I didn't think the spurs were going to win game 1 so it was disappointing they laid an egg but it wasn't heartbreaking - there was a big chance they could lose anyway.

True disappointing would have been if game 1 was in san antonio instead and they lose after being up 20.

Budkin
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
the spurs played good basketball until they ran out of gas.. actually they started the game like they were still playing the hornets at NO. The 20 pt lead I was afraid it was too much, the spurs never blow out teams and you could see they were tired. For a moment there I thought they could still pull it out winning by 3 or 5 as the lakers were in deep hole but Kobe was a monster. If it wasn't for Kobe in the 4th quarter the spurs would have taken the game anywya, playing tired and like garbage.

I do believe that with a couple of real rest nights, energy will come back and as they go into the series things will improve. The lakers will get tired as well and they already know this isn't the nuggets or the jazz.

In all honesty before the game I didn't think the spurs were going to win game 1 so it was disappointing they laid an egg but it wasn't heartbreaking - there was a big chance they could lose anyway.

True disappointing would have been if game 1 was in san antonio instead and they lose after being up 20.

Agreed... I freaked out way more back in 2003 when we lost Game 1 of the WCF at home to the Mavs in almost the exact same fashion. Blew a 22 pt lead and Finley hit the winner for them.

Say-Townbball
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
There were positives to the FIRST half of the game. It was like the lakers and the spurs traded places in the second half.

That being said, once adjustments are made in Game 2, the mistakes we made in game 1 will give us the ability to learn and take game 2.:flag:

Zero Point Four
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I agree that there were positives to game one -

Lakers won.

Spurs lost.

There's a couple right there . . .

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I agree that there were positives to game one -

Lakers won.

Spurs lost.

There's a couple right there . . .

I'm glad you post in this forum so you can share with us some of your vast knowledge about basketball

Tradition
05-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Duncan played amazing and the spurs played solid ball the first 2 and a half quarter. Outside of that there isnt much to be excited about on this loss. You had a 20 point lead and a golden opportunity to steal game 1. Being "tired" doesnt cut it. You had 3 days rest before game 7 and this was your 2nd game in the last week. The Lakers made a huge run the spurs werent able to respond to. The Lakers executed down the stretch while the spurs faltered. There is still 3 more games to be one and anyone would be foolish to be thinking this one is over. However spurs fans who think the Lakers have less of a chance than New Orleans/Phoenix in beating the Spurs 4 times, need to stop lying to themselves.

It is going to come down to the role players. Which bench and starting role players will be the ones to raise their game when it is all on the line. Stay tuned......

trjons
05-22-2008, 03:48 PM
If we make Odom a jump shooter, he turns into a non-threat. All he did in game 1 was try to score in the paint which the Spurs did not allow him to do. David West had a back-up plan, which was a reliable jumpshot. And I can see that Duncan is able to shut down Gasol 1 on 1. Gasol was fortunate to get some easy points from Kobe's alley-oop passes.

The gameplan on Odom worked because this officiating crew swallowed their whistles on the drives to the bucket. I don't think you can count on that style of officiating every game. I'm predicting a lot more fouls and foul shots in Game 2.

lefty
05-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Good thread.

I just hope Horry will see more minutes, and that Pop will put him on Odom.