PDA

View Full Version : Tex Winter On The Spurs (True Hoop)

duncan228
05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
I apologize if this has been posted already. I looked but didn't find it. :)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-217/Tex-Winter-on-the-Spurs.html

Tex Winter on the Spurs
Henry Abbott

Roland Lazenby talks to Tex Winter on SportsHubLA about the drum Phil Jackson beats to bring the team together.

Really.

But the longtime Jackson assistant, and the godfather of the triangle, also talks about facing the Spurs:

"They're good, man," the 86-year-old guru, Jackson's longtime mentor, says of the veteran Spurs. "They can control the tempo of the game. That's their strength. They're very balanced. Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen, they all present their own sort of problems.

"We're just gonna have to outscore them some way or another. I hope we can. It's not gonna be easy. But it's gonna be interesting. I'm sure we can score on 'em, but I'm not sure we can score enough."

There are also immense questions defending the Spurs.

Taking the brunt of the challenge will be new Lakers center Pau Gasol, smart, skilled but a tad thin for the task.

"It's a test for all of us," Winter says, "but Gasol's got a tough assignment. He's going head to head with Tim Duncan. Over the years, he's been the best big man in the game."

Laker backup Ronny Turiaf can perhaps help a bit against Duncan, but Winter says even Turiaf's effectiveness will be questionable against Duncan.

Likewise challenged will be the Lakers Derek Fisher with San Antonio's Tony Parker, whom Winter sees as one of the most under-appreciated guards in the game.

"Fisher has been able to play pretty well against him in the past," Winter observed. "That's one of the keys. Parker offers so much speed and penetration."

Defending quick, smart guards like Parker has long been a Laker difficulty.

Backup point Jordan Farmar is another question mark in this matchup. "He's capable of playing well if he gets going," Winter offered. "He's had a tough time against Parker in the past, but then again, most guards have."

The ultimate decision for Jackson is how the Lakers match up with guard Manu Ginobli. "I'm not sure how we're gonna go with that one," Winter said. "Phil may not know the answer to that one right up until game time Wednesday. That's another one of the keys. What are we gonna do to contain that guy?"

Doctor J
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
This interview is quite contentless.

I expected more than this from Tex Winter.

Thanks for posting, duncan228.