PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Lakers notebook: Champion Air won't carry Spurs

Spurs Brazil
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052208.6C.BKNspurs.lakers.notebook.18824138.ht ml

Spurs-Lakers notebook: Champion Air won't carry Spurs

Web Posted: 05/22/2008 12:29 AM CDT

By Tom Orsborn and Mike Monroe
[email protected]

LOS ANGELES — The Spurs have flown their last flight with Champion Air.
Team chairman Peter Holt said the league assured him Tuesday another carrier would transport the Spurs to San Antonio after Game 2 of the Western Conference finals Friday and would also fly them to the rest of their road playoff games.

Word of the change came less than 24 hours after the Spurs spent seven hours on a tarmac in New Orleans after mechanical problems grounded the Boeing 727 provided to the team by Champion, which declared bankruptcy in March and is set to ground its 16-plane fleet May 31.

“The league called the next morning and said they were working on it right away,” Holt said. “They said they would find us another airplane that (it) will be with you as long as you are in the playoffs. That’s another thing we didn’t want to have to do, keep switching.”

Holt said he made it clear to the league they were done with Champion. The league arranges for the Spurs’ carrier, but the team foots the bill.

“We just told them we obviously don’t have any faith or trust any more (in Champion),” Holt said. “I don’t know if it is a safety issue, as much as we don’t want to be stuck again, especially with us playing every other day from this point on.”

Holt said he hasn’t spoken to anyone from Champion.

“Not interested in Champion,” Holt said. “We’re done.”

Different perspective: What’s it like spending 11 hours onboard an aircraft after you have expended most of your energy in Game 7 of a playoff series?

“Not fun,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said.

But Ginobili had a different take on the ordeal that followed the Spurs’ victory Monday night than most of his teammates. He played three seasons in the Italian League, where long bus rides were commonplace.

“It’s not the first time it happened to me,” he said. “I’ve slept many times on buses, so it was not much of a difference.”

Some of his teammates, Ginobili said with a smile, have had it too easy.

“They are spoiled,” he said. “I’ve spent 20 hours on a bus. So it’s no big thing. Probably never the day before a game. That’s kind of different, but it happened, and we’ve just got to face it.”

Long-range struggles: The Spurs hit just 25 percent (5 of 20) of their 3-point shots Wednesday night, including only 18 percent (2 of 11) in the second half. In their 12 previous games this postseason, they had connected on 38 percent from beyond the arc.

“We got away from our game plan,” forward Robert Horry said. “Sometimes when you get up by 20 like we did in the third quarter, you look for too many knockout blows by shooting 3s. Down the stretch, we should have worked it inside to Tim (Duncan) and stopped shooting jumpers.”

Horry said it was surprising that a veteran club made such poor decisions after gaining a commanding lead.

“We took a lot of jumpers and didn’t play smart at all,” Horry said. “We have got to be smarter than that. We are a veteran team. We should know we have to go inside-out first, and we did a lot of outside-in this game.”

Against the odds: With Wednesday’s 89-85 loss, the Spurs are 7-1 this postseason when holding an opponent to 99 points or less. During the regular season, the Spurs finished 50-16 when limiting teams to 99 points or less and 33-7 when holding them to 89 points or less.

duncan228
05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Good for Holt.

hater
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I expect a minimum of 20 solid minutes from Horry tomorrow.

MoSpur
05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Horry should have coached the 3rd quarter.

SAGambler
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052208.6C.BKNspurs.lakers.notebook.18824138.ht ml

Spurs-Lakers notebook: Champion Air won't carry Spurs

Web Posted: 05/22/2008 12:29 AM CDT

By Tom Orsborn and Mike Monroe
[email protected]

LOS ANGELES — The Spurs have flown their last flight with Champion Air.
Team chairman Peter Holt said the league assured him Tuesday another carrier would transport the Spurs to San Antonio after Game 2 of the Western Conference finals Friday and would also fly them to the rest of their road playoff games.

Word of the change came less than 24 hours after the Spurs spent seven hours on a tarmac in New Orleans after mechanical problems grounded the Boeing 727 provided to the team by Champion, which declared bankruptcy in March and is set to ground its 16-plane fleet May 31.

“The league called the next morning and said they were working on it right away,” Holt said. “They said they would find us another airplane that (it) will be with you as long as you are in the playoffs. That’s another thing we didn’t want to have to do, keep switching.”

Holt said he made it clear to the league they were done with Champion. The league arranges for the Spurs’ carrier, but the team foots the bill.

“We just told them we obviously don’t have any faith or trust any more (in Champion),” Holt said. “I don’t know if it is a safety issue, as much as we don’t want to be stuck again, especially with us playing every other day from this point on.”

Holt said he hasn’t spoken to anyone from Champion.

“Not interested in Champion,” Holt said. “We’re done.”

Different perspective: What’s it like spending 11 hours onboard an aircraft after you have expended most of your energy in Game 7 of a playoff series?

“Not fun,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said.

But Ginobili had a different take on the ordeal that followed the Spurs’ victory Monday night than most of his teammates. He played three seasons in the Italian League, where long bus rides were commonplace.

“It’s not the first time it happened to me,” he said. “I’ve slept many times on buses, so it was not much of a difference.”

Some of his teammates, Ginobili said with a smile, have had it too easy.

“They are spoiled,” he said. “I’ve spent 20 hours on a bus. So it’s no big thing. Probably never the day before a game. That’s kind of different, but it happened, and we’ve just got to face it.”

Long-range struggles: The Spurs hit just 25 percent (5 of 20) of their 3-point shots Wednesday night, including only 18 percent (2 of 11) in the second half. In their 12 previous games this postseason, they had connected on 38 percent from beyond the arc.

“We got away from our game plan,” forward Robert Horry said. “Sometimes when you get up by 20 like we did in the third quarter, you look for too many knockout blows by shooting 3s. Down the stretch, we should have worked it inside to Tim (Duncan) and stopped shooting jumpers.”

Horry said it was surprising that a veteran club made such poor decisions after gaining a commanding lead.

“We took a lot of jumpers and didn’t play smart at all,” Horry said. “We have got to be smarter than that. We are a veteran team. We should know we have to go inside-out first, and we did a lot of outside-in this game.”

Against the odds: With Wednesday’s 89-85 loss, the Spurs are 7-1 this postseason when holding an opponent to 99 points or less. During the regular season, the Spurs finished 50-16 when limiting teams to 99 points or less and 33-7 when holding them to 89 points or less.

Yeah, but Manu, you ain't 21 or 22 years old any more either.

nkdlunch
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
“I’ve spent 20 hours on a bus. So it’s no big thing. Probably never the day before a game. That’s kind of different, but it happened, and we’ve just got to face it.”

I have spend 12 hours in a bus and it is one of the worst experience of my life. It takes days to recover and I am in my early 20s.

Spurs just ran out of gas. Friday they won't

G-Nob
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Maybe this may spark Holt and the boys to spend some money and get our own damn plane.

Trainwreck2100
05-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Maybe this may spark Holt and the boys to spend some money and get our own damn plane.

The article says the foot the bill after the NBA makes arrangements with the carrier

G-Nob
05-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The article says the foot the bill after the NBA makes arrangements with the carrier

Why buy the hamburgers when you can buy the cow?

degenerate_gambler
05-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Why buy the hamburgers when you can buy the cow?

How many NBA teams own their own planes?

G-Nob
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
How many NBA teams own their own planes?

I'm a Rangers and Stars fan as well. Tom Hicks bought them their own planes. I guess I'm spoiled. I don't know for sure and I don't know what the long-term costs are.

T Park
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah cause this teams owners are totally loaded to the point of like Cuban and whatever.

m33p0
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
spork this.

honestfool84
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
i just had a dream - spurs by six in game 2.

G-Nob
05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah cause this teams owners are totally loaded to the point of like Cuban and whatever.

I know and its maddening.

Maybe if they were Mark Cuban, we'd have had Scola come here instead of trading him away.
:stirpot:

LakerLanny
05-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Maybe Cuban will lend them the Mavs plane, God knows they won't need it any time soon!

Zero Point Four
05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Looks like the Spurs have arranged hotel accommodations for tonight.

http://www.cruisinaltitude.com/images/b747/nzb744g1laxl.jpg

spurastic
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Maybe Cuban will lend them the Mavs plane, God knows they won't need it any time soon!

Yeah he would. But arrange to have a leak in the fuel tanks. He WANTS that :lobt2:.

CosmicCowboy
05-22-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.nbaobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/david_stern.jpg
Heres your plane, Spurs!
http://photoblog.deviantdeadlock.de/images/dc3_bright.jpg