PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: More third-quarter woes hit Spurs, Ginobili

Spurs Brazil
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052208.7C.BKNspurs.ginobili.4051605.html

More third-quarter woes hit Spurs, Ginobili

Web Posted: 05/22/2008 01:03 AM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

LOS ANGELES — Somewhere between New Orleans and Los Angeles, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili lost a nail from a finger on his shooting hand.

An acrylic cover protected it during Game 1 of the Spurs-Lakers Western Conference finals at Staples Center.

The left ankle that has bothered him for weeks ached after his 41 minutes and 34 seconds of intense play in Monday's Game 7 victory over the Hornets in the conference semifinals.

He got no more than 20 minutes of fitful sleep in the seven hours the Spurs spent on the tarmac at New Orleans' Louis Armstrong International Airport after their charter aircraft developed mechanical problems Monday night and stranded the team on board.

None of those problems, though, bothered Ginobili after Wednesday's 89-85 loss to the Lakers nearly as much as the problem with his head, and those of all of his teammates.

The problem: When the Lakers made a run back from a 20-point Spurs lead, the Spurs didn't keep their heads, or use them wisely.

Just as the Spurs had blown halftime leads in the third quarters of Games 1, 2 and 5 in New Orleans when the Hornets intensified their defensive effort, they failed to properly respond to the Lakers' added defensive energy after the Spurs took a 65-45 lead with 5:55 remaining in the third period, and that left a scowl on Ginobili's face.

“I think it did happen again in the third quarter,” Ginobili said “That's where it started. Of course, as usual, we give (the Lakers) credit. They started playing harder. They started making shots. Their defense got tougher. But we just kind of stopped.

“We didn't have any answers to their defense. I don't know if it was our legs, or what.

“Probably (it was) our heads.”

Ginobili suffered through an inefficient offensive performance, missing 10 of 13 shots, and 4 of 6 3-pointers.

He had a chance to atone for all his previous misses when he found himself in the right corner, behind the 3-point line, with 10 seconds remaining and the Spurs trailing by two.

His shot that could have given the Spurs a one-point lead was flat, and skidded off the rim, whereupon a mad scramble for the loose ball ensued. When Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic emerged with the ball and was fouled, with 7.3 seconds left, the game was, effectively, over.

“I kind of hurried up,” he said. “I didn't take a good shot, so that's another thing that helps get me upset.”

Ginobili had plenty of excuses to use for his off night if he had cared to make them. Instead, he blamed his own lack of focus.

“I have a couple issues,” he said, “but nothing that bad that can justify the way I played today. I'm upset, but it's over, and now you've got to try and play better next game.

“”The hand is all right. That's just a nail. My ankle is bothering me and I've got a couple of little things, but I don't want to talk about that. That's not the reason why I played so bad. I've just got to step up and play better.”

There will be precious little time for Ginobili's aches and pains to heal before Game 2, and with only one day in between each game of the series, recovery from his injuries before it ends seems unlikely.

Nevertheless, he looked to the future with optimism.

“It's a tough loss, but this is only Game 1,” he said. “We've got six more to go, hopefully. We've just got to step up.”

Budkin
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Manu is always a warrior. He'll be back.