PDA

View Full Version : Adande: Duncan Schools Gasol In Loss

Spurs Brazil
05-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Duncan Schools Gasol In Loss
By J.A. Adande | ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- On the first day the Lakers really needed Andrew Bynum, he was on the other side of the country, recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his knee earlier Wednesday.

Bynum is eligible for a contract extension this summer, and after the Lakers have rolled on without him, he might want to send them a DVD of Game 1 of the Western Conference finals to remind them of what they're missing.

Things were a lot different from the last time the Lakers played the Spurs. In their final regular-season meeting, Pau Gasol convinced Phil Jackson to give him an extended run at guarding Tim Duncan solo. You wouldn't ask Gasol to be the bouncer at your nightclub, but his long arms can serve as a deterrent -- or maybe just a distraction -- to Duncan. At least they did on that day, when Duncan shot 6-for-19.

It didn't work out that way for the Lakers on Wednesday. The Lakers stuck to their old policy of waiting until the fourth quarter to double-team Duncan, and he had his way with Gasol and his teammates for most of the night, finishing with 30 points on 12-for-25 shooting, plus 18 rebounds.

"He was consistent during the game and he was able to feel a little too comfortable, I think," Gasol said. "Hopefully next time I will give him a little more trouble, make him put the ball on the floor a little more. Don't let him take that easy jumper."

It will all depend on Gasol, because Bynum won't be back in a Lakers jersey until training camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080522&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
This is one of the main things that gives me confidence that the Spurs will win this series. Gasol can't stop Duncan. Timmy totally abused Gasol last night, and that was a tired Tim Duncan. Wait for Game 2...Timmy might drop 40 on the Fakers.

Spurs in 6.

MoSpur
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
If the other Spurs would have hit their jumpers when Tim was doubled, the Spurs would be up 1-0. Oh well. Its time to move on.

brettn
05-22-2008, 12:28 PM
This is one of the main things that gives me confidence that the Spurs will win this series. Gasol can't stop Duncan. Timmy totally abused Gasol last night, and that was a tired Tim Duncan. Wait for Game 2...Timmy might drop 40 on the Fakers.

Spurs in 6.

Agreed, this is exactly how I felt heading into the series and last night kinda brought it home. Tim always has, and at least for the rest of this series, always will own Gasol. Time for the shooters to step up and actually make a damn shot now. Can't be wasting 30-18 performances from Duncan by blowing a 20pt lead.

Ludovician
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised Adande was able to get Kobe's dick out of his mouth long enough to write that.

NoMoneyDown
05-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah, where is that Laker fan who was trumpeting how Gasol=Duncan and the RS game(s) proved it?

Duncan >>>>> Gasol

trjons
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm surprised Adande was able to get Kobe's dick out of his mouth long enough to write that.

Adande hates Kobe. He's a Shaq guy. Since Shaq left town, he hasn't written a complimentary word about Kobe. I think he even voted for CP3 for MVP as ridiculous as that sounds.

Discoflux
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Duncan had his usual amazing game. He may play until he's 50.

This series is not going to be based on one player though. Its going to be a case of two heavyweight teams trading blows. This series is going to 7, I don't see any road wins happening.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Duncan had his usual amazing game. He may play until he's 50.

This series is not going to be based on one player though. Its going to be a case of two heavyweight teams trading blows. This series is going to 7, I don't see any road wins happening.

I do. Game 2.

Spurs in 6.

THE Black Mamba
05-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Spurs in 6.

LOL.....you're so wrong. The Lakers are perfectly happy turning Duncan into a jump shooter (as they did last night). Also, Gasol put up 11 fewer points than Duncan, but took 9 fewer shots and 9 fewer free throws!! I'll take Gasols shooting average of 57 % against Duncan (verse Duncans 48%) with a guy like THE BLACK MAMBA scoring at will all day!!

I'd say 25 points in the second half is more deserving for a term like "abused". "Kobe played with the Spurs like a yo-yo" and will continue to impose his will at any given time.

This series will be over in 5 (4-1 Lakers).

Medvedenko
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Yup, TD played awfully well on Gasol....but just like Kobe, the greats beat themselves and lack of consistency has plagued TD in the playoffs. Hopefully for the Lakers TD has a poor shooting game.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
LOL.....you're so wrong. The Lakers are perfectly happy turning Duncan into a jump shooter (as they did last night). Also, Gasol put up 11 fewer points than Duncan, but took 9 fewer shots and 9 fewer free throws!! I'll take Gasols shooting average of 57 % against Duncan (verse Duncans 48%) with a guy like THE BLACK MAMBA scoring at will all day!!

I'd say 25 points in the second half is more deserving for a term like "abused". "Kobe played with the Spurs like a yo-yo" and will continue to impose his will at any given time.

This series will be over in 5 (4-1 Lakers).

You'd really like to believe that, wouldn't you??? :lol

THE Black Mamba
05-22-2008, 12:54 PM
You'd really like to believe that, wouldn't you??? :lol

That's all you got? Run along now.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 12:56 PM
That's all you got? Run along now.

Nope, but I try not to feed the trolls.

Spurs in 6. Deal with it.

THE Black Mamba
05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Ok.....I'll deal with Kobe playing the Spurs like a cheap whore.

Last night was a bitter, bitter loss for the Spurs and their fans. You're obviously having a hard time coping today. Better luck next year.

KB_MVP
05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
THE Black Mamba can you please just close your mouth man, come on your acting like this series is over by saying good luck next year. What happens if they come out and win the next four and we go down 4-1!

I feel lucky to get that win last night and im not afraid to admit it, I though you guys had us beat but i kept my hope and we pulled through! But this is the worst i've felt after a win for awhile.

THE Black Mamba
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
THE Black Mamba can you please just close your mouth man, come on your acting like this series is over by saying good luck next year. What happens if they come out and win the next four and we go down 4-1!

I feel lucky to get that win last night and im not afraid to admit it, I though you guys had us beat but i kept my hope and we pulled through! But this is the worst i've felt after a win for awhile.

Are you kidding me? To get a win that we had no business getting? To rip the Spurs hearts out like that? To send them back to their hotel reeling, tired and confused? THOSE are the types of wins that propel teams on to the next round.

Discoflux
05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
I do. Game 2.

Spurs in 6.

Good luck with that.

trjons
05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Lakers in 5.

Don Quixote
05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I've always liked Adande. He's a Laker fan, but not otherwise sinister.

peskypesky
05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Duncan will continue to dominate the Lakers' front-court.

Spurs in 5!

:flag:

SpurOutofTownFan
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't recall Duncan abusing a guy so much as he did last night with Gasol - there was a time he was just hitting from every angle and behaved like the guy wasn't even in front of him. He completely and utterly ate his lunch all night.

Also it's worth noticing that we can clearly see they can't stop Parker either - Fisher was filled up with fouls all night and Parker roamed around at will.

I think vujacic bothered Manu a little bit, he was aggresive on D and owned manu several times on 3pt shots.

Budkin
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Timmy is going to be dominating this series. He just needs some help.

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
We'll gladly let Timmy go off from 20-30 pts so long as none of your shooters get touches. If we can contain Ginobli and Parker the way we did in the 2nd half Duncan do whatever he wants down on the block.

He did score 30, but he also took 25 shots.

TDfan2007
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't recall Duncan abusing a guy so much as he did last night with Gasol - there was a time he was just hitting from every angle and behaved like the guy wasn't even in front of him. He completely and utterly ate his lunch all night.

Also it's worth noticing that we can clearly see they can't stop Parker either - Fisher was filled up with fouls all night and Parker roamed around at will.

I think vujacic bothered Manu a little bit, he was aggresive on D and owned manu several times on 3pt shots.

Oh yes they can stop Tony. Did you watch the 2nd half of the game last night?

It's getting to the point where I think that Phil Jackson is inside Pop and Tony's heads now.

1Parker1
05-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Fisher and the Lakers defense actually adjusted after halftime and did an excellent job on Parker which I think was key to their success.

trjons
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

It went both ways. Gasol was getting to the rim quite easily against Duncan too.

Parker was completely shut down in the second half and Vujacic owned Ginobli.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
It went both ways. Gasol was getting to the rim quite easily against Duncan too.

The box score doesn't agree with you...

Duncan: 30 points, 18 rebounds

Gasol: 19 points, 7 rebounds

That, my friend, is called OWNAGE!!! :lol

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Gasol is going to have to do a much better job of denying Duncan the entry pass and getting him out of his comfort zone. Duncan played as good a game as he can, hitting shots from just about every angle. It wasn't fun to watch at all.

The bizarre thing is Duncan going off like that was a detriment towards the end of the game. He shot the ball 25 times, which meant less touches for the Spur's shooters. In fact the Lakers refused to bring the double until late in the game on purpose, it kept the ball out of the hands of Finley, Horry, Udoka, and Barry. Phil's strategy is going to be single-coverage on Duncan and not letting the Spurs get hot from 3pt land. If Manu can be contained like that again it's actually a brilliant strategy. Duncan and Parker get their points, Ginobli is contained, and the rest of the role players are never allowed to get into a shooting rhythm.

trjons
05-22-2008, 04:04 PM

Not even close to ownage fool.

Gasol was 9 of 16. Duncan took 25 shots to get 30 points. If anything the ratio of points to shot shows Gasol owned Duncan and got better production from his teammates.

TampaDude
05-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Not even close to ownage fool.

Gasol was 9 of 16. Duncan took 25 shots to get 30 points. If anything the ratio of points to shot shows Gasol owned Duncan and got better production from his teammates.

Gasol owed Duncan??? Wow...that must be some really good crack you're smoking... :lmao

romad_20
05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Parker was completely shut down in the second half and Vujacic owned Ginobli.

Parker went to one on one ball and didn't pass. Also if Manu's ankle doesn't get any better Vujacic will bother him. If Manu was any kind of healthy he would destroy him. Bill Schoeing was on the radio earlier saying last night in the lockerroom Manu's ankle looked like it had a golf ball on the side of it. Take it for what you will. :depressed

trjons
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
You should be proud that the Lakers only outscored the Spurs 48-36 in the paint.

Yeah, Duncan was owned.

trjons
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Parker went to one on one ball and didn't pass. Also if Manu's ankle doesn't get any better Vujacic will bother him. If Manu was any kind of healthy he would destroy him. Bill Schoeing was on the radio earlier saying last night in the lockerroom Manu's ankle looked like it had a golf ball on the side of it. Take it for what you will. :depressed

That's what got Parker all his points in the first half too. He wasn't racking up assists last night even in the first half when the Spurs were hitting an amazing 50% of their shots.

dickface
05-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Gasol is going to have to do a much better job of denying Duncan the entry pass and getting him out of his comfort zone. Duncan played as good a game as he can, hitting shots from just about every angle. It wasn't fun to watch at all.

The bizarre thing is Duncan going off like that was a detriment towards the end of the game. He shot the ball 25 times, which meant less touches for the Spur's shooters. In fact the Lakers refused to bring the double until late in the game on purpose, it kept the ball out of the hands of Finley, Horry, Udoka, and Barry. Phil's strategy is going to be single-coverage on Duncan and not letting the Spurs get hot from 3pt land. If Manu can be contained like that again it's actually a brilliant strategy. Duncan and Parker get their points, Ginobli is contained, and the rest of the role players are never allowed to get into a shooting rhythm.

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.

MONTENEGRINO
05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
That would be all series long... Timmy is back!
Spurs 4:2

romad_20
05-22-2008, 05:25 PM
That's what got Parker all his points in the first half too. He wasn't racking up assists last night even in the first half when the Spurs were hitting an amazing 50% of their shots.

are you high? he had 5 or 6 assist in the 1st qtr

romad_20
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Actually he had 5 in the 1st and didn't have another one until the mid way of the 3rd and that was his last. When did the run start?

Lakers_55
05-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Way back in 1972, when the Lakers played Milwaukee in the WCF, we had Wilt Chamberlain, they had Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Every time Kareem went for his skyhook, Wilt jumped too, and tried to block them, but never could. Wilt did keep him away from the basket for offensive rebounding though. Laker strategy was Kareem was going to get his 30+ points, work on the other 4 guys. We can't stop Duncan, but we can concentrate on the other 4 Spurs on the floor.

My prediction again:

2-2 after 4 games with HCA stolen twice. Whoever wins game 5 wins in 6. If we can go up 2-0, I still say we can split in SA in games 3 and 4. Meanwhile, let's just enjoy the series, we aren't playing, just chatting. The real guys will decide this.

Bob Lanier
05-23-2008, 10:44 PM
So, ah, yeah.

TDfan2007
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Way back in 1972, when the Lakers played Milwaukee in the WCF, we had Wilt Chamberlain, they had Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Every time Kareem went for his skyhook, Wilt jumped too, and tried to block them, but never could. Wilt did keep him away from the basket for offensive rebounding though. Laker strategy was Kareem was going to get his 30+ points, work on the other 4 guys. We can't stop Duncan, but we can concentrate on the other 4 Spurs on the floor.

My prediction again:

2-2 after 4 games with HCA stolen twice. Whoever wins game 5 wins in 6. If we can go up 2-0, I still say we can split in SA in games 3 and 4. Meanwhile, let's just enjoy the series, we aren't playing, just chatting. The real guys will decide this.

you're easily the best fan on this board that hails from another team. Actually, tied with Xylus.