PDA

View Full Version : Considerign buying a parrot....

nsrammstein
05-22-2008, 01:49 PM
What are the best parrots for talking? What is the average price for a parrot? Cage cost?

midgetonadonkey
05-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I know some of the good talking parrots can run a few thousand.

nsrammstein
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Im looking to buy an African Grey Parrot

mrsmaalox
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
I have one of these. Not too many of them can talk, but they are vocal. Mine is very smart and sweet, loves to snuggle!

http://birds.allaboutthese.org/wp-content/uploads/thumb-LoveBirds.jpg

BacktoBasics
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I've been in thousands of homes and I can tell you first hand that birds are the filthiest creatures ever. Its gonna be a fucking mess around that cage. You'd probably be better off just taking a shit on you living room table once a week. At least you won't have to feed it or hear it bitch.

tlongII
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Can parrots spell?

mrsmaalox
05-22-2008, 02:08 PM
It's true they are messy. Smaller parrot=smaller mess. You need to be able to clean up after them constantly. My "Sweetie" bathes daily and uses a birdy "litter box". The mess is mostly seeds that they like to toss around. Also mine will have a tantrum now and then and knock over his bath water. I could never handle one of the big ones.

BacktoBasics
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I could never handle one of the big ones.
Might be the first time I've ever heard a women say that.

nsrammstein
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Might be the first time I've ever heard a women say that.

Let's try to keep this thread free of sex slang you nappy feathered ho's!

RandomGuy
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been in thousands of homes and I can tell you first hand that birds are the filthiest creatures ever. Its gonna be a fucking mess around that cage. You'd probably be better off just taking a shit on you living room table once a week. At least you won't have to feed it or hear it bitch.

I concur.

I had a friend in high school, whose parents had about 2 or 3 small ones.

They constantly had shit on their shirts, and in various place in their house. :vomit:

Much later in life, I remembered my friend when I met a guy who used to race pigeons for a living. Yes people do this, a good racing pigeon went for about $45,000 in 1997.

This guy was around bird poop for decades, never smoked, and had a NASTY case of emphasema that required constant oxygen. I can't say for certain how his lungs got f***ed up, but I can make a good enough guess to say I won't take the chance.

Dogs? Sure.
Cats? Maybe.
Birds? Hell no.

G-Nob
05-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Here's the one you want right here...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/21/parrot-yells-obama-slogan_n_102949.html

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Here's the one you want right here...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/21/parrot-yells-obama-slogan_n_102949.html

I have a two year old nephew who does the same thing. Drives my mother (Hillary supporter) and my brother (moderately racist Republican) nuts.

phyzik
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
African Greys are on of, if not, the smartest bird in the world.

BigZak
05-22-2008, 05:09 PM
you like that song freebird? me too.

those wings aren't just for tucking their heads at night after you put the god damn towel over the cage...

although it all good if you just let it fly around the house and teach it some cuss words...especially if you can get it to cuss after flying into a closed window...

good luck with your new friend! i hope it breaks loose and beaks your eye out...

missmyzte
05-22-2008, 09:36 PM
African Greys are seriously smart
Yes, parrots are messy and require constant upkeep. Furthermore, they require a lot of attention and will be very loud if they feel they are being ignored. If you're gone a lot, travel a lot or have guests frequently I wouldn't recommend getting one. They also live a very long time so it's a long-term committment.

I had a parrot growing up and I loved him. Playing peek-a-boo with him before putting him to bed, feeding him ice-cream, watching him chase the cat around the house... good memories.