PDA

View Full Version : Music: DJ/Dance

tekdragon
01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone else on this board is a fan of dance music...house, progressive, dnb...anything dj/dancefloor based?

Any DJ's on this forum? What kind of music does Dex spin?

I know a few new clubs have opened in San Antonio since I left, some actually bringing in world-class DJ talent...any reports/reviews? Coming to town next month, so it'd be nice to hit a new spot...

:music

Samurai Jane
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm not a DJ myself, but it runs in the family. My dad and brother are both DJ's (old school type). My dad used to own a club called DJ's back in the 80's...he's kind of semi-retired and my brother does most of the jobs now.

SpursWoman
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
I love dance music...techno, trance....there are a few DJ's that I really like, but mostly just all on the radio or what I can find online. I don't get out to many clubs, though. :(

I listen to it mostly when I work out. :)

Samurai Jane
01-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I love dance music...techno, trance....there are a few DJ's that I really like, but mostly just all on the radio or what I can find online. I don't get out to many clubs, though. :(

I actually like to listen to it when I work out. :)
BTW, I love the music too, but I haven't been out to a club in while either.. . :depressed

I agree great workout music! :elephant

tekdragon
01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
If you're looking for good dance music online, try:

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/essentialmix

Every Saturday night in the UK Radio One hosts the Essential Mix, best DJ's in the world for two hours. You can hear the most recent show all week, and after next Saturday's show, they'll post the new one. Good stuff!

Also, see:

www.maximumrotation.com

Click on Listen and you'll find some of the industry's biggest names on the decks. Highly Recommended: Groove Junkies and David Alvarado mixes. Excellent house music.

Drachen
01-25-2005, 05:20 PM
I used to be a big-time raver, but it got all outta hand because they just became places that young kids would go to find a place to do their drugs, they didnt even care about the music. Also, the promoters got outta hand because they would start charging $3 a bottle for water, and not have any AC on in the venues. I still love the music, but I got outta the scene for these reasons.

Drachen
01-25-2005, 05:26 PM
BTW I recommend seeing Rabbit in the Moon live. They put on a great show, and DJ Monk is great.

gay abc
01-25-2005, 05:26 PM
dj don bishop out of ft. lauderdale is HOT - i have ordered cdr's from him for eight years now - he sends out a newsletter every couple of months - he use to spin at circuit parties in austin twice a year :smokin

i have his latest newsletter saved as a pdf file - if anyone is interested - let me know - i can email it to you

tekdragon
01-25-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't blame you Drachen. My friends and I were in Austin every weekend for a while, but like you said, it just got out of hand. The venues and promoters just sucked...I started throwing small parties in San Antonio, but kind of let it slip when I got to Houston. There seems to be no underground scene at all here. It's all nightclubs now.

tekdragon
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Drachen,

I just saw Monk here in Houston on New Years Eve! Not quite the Rabbit in the Moon live set, but it was jumpin', the crowd liked it. His dj set is not quite my style, but after Monk was a guy named Mark Lewis, who I was not previously familiar with...He rocked!

Drachen
01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
I actually went to a only one rave in houston (massive something). The flyers said 150 tons of AC equipment, they didnt turn it on though. My friends and I were staying at a la quinta right next door, and I was the last to leave the rave (I left before micro came on, this is how hot it was), I found all my friends in the parking lot dancing (we could hear the music from there). It was pretty fun because we had world class dj'ing, with a house party feel! Oh and that hottie boom-body spacegirl was staying in the hotel room next to ours. I never went to another rave in houston, it was all austin. I really think the decision for me had less to do with the promoters though (even though they sucked), than it did with all these 16 year olds who didnt even know who was spinning, just trying to find a safe haven to do their X.

edit, a couple of years before this I went to one at the I-ball, which actually was not bad.

Drachen
01-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Drachen,

I just saw Monk here in Houston on New Years Eve! Not quite the Rabbit in the Moon live set, but it was jumpin', the crowd liked it. His dj set is not quite my style, but after Monk was a guy named Mark Lewis, who I was not previously familiar with...He rocked!

there was one song that he spun which was a remix of baby got back, but they say baby got BASS, and then some hard bass notes dropped, I really liked that. I have an eclectic taste in techno. Everything from highs (goa) to lows (hard breakbeats).

Duff McCartney
01-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I like this guy....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000059T41.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Drachen
01-25-2005, 05:47 PM
anyone ever see keoki do a good set (i.e. he wasnt too messed up to spin)...
Yeah, me neither.