PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Lakers Game 1

timvp
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Hurts like hell. That’s how Pop described the Game 1 loss against the Los Angeles Lakers and I have to wholeheartedly agree with his assessment. The San Antonio Spurs had this game all but won. With a 65-45 lead with six minutes to go in the third quarter, the Spurs went ice cold, Kobe Bryant caught on fire and the Spurs ended up losing 89-85.

First of all, the Lakers deserve a lot of the credit for the win. Bryant showed why he’s regarded as the best player on the planet. He carried the Lakers on his shoulders and took his team home to victory. His teammates chipped in with swarming defense and timely shooting to complete the dismantling of San Antonio’s big lead. Bryant capped off the victory by hitting the game-winning shot with less than 24 second remaining in the contest.

For the Spurs, Game 1 was a horribly wasted opportunity. Playing on the road, the Spurs could have taken a big step toward getting back to the Finals if they would have finished off the game strongly. Championships aren’t easy to win, especially when you blow chances to complete a momentum altering victory early in a series.

Offensively, the Spurs were scoring the ball well until the Lakers got rolling in the third quarter. At that point, the Spurs panicked on the offensive end of the court. They took hurried shots, stopped passing the ball and didn’t penetrate into the paint.

On the defensive end, it’s difficult to complain too much. The Lakers came into the game as the highest scoring team in the playoffs. Holding Los Angeles to 89 points should be enough to get a win. The biggest problem for the Spurs defensively was Bryant’s brilliance in the second half.

Overall, this was just a disheartening and painful loss. The Spurs definitely let one get away. The series obviously isn’t over but it will now be much more difficult than it would have been with a Game 1 victory.

-Tim Duncan’s play has to be considered a bright spot of the Game 1 loss. Duncan struggled virtually the whole series against the New Orleans Hornets but he busted out of his slump versus the Lakers. Duncan finished the game with 30 points, 18 rebounds, four blocks, two assists and two steals, while shooting 12-for-25 from the field. On both ends of the court, Duncan was very good. The Lakers couldn’t handle him in one-on-one situations offensively and he came up with a lot of big plays on defense. While he didn’t play especially well down the stretch, Duncan definitely deserved more help on this night. It’s a shame the Spurs wasted such a great game by Duncan. Hopefully, Duncan can continue playing at this level against the Lakers and the Spurs can give him more help.

-Ugh. To put it nicely, Manu Ginobili wasn’t at his best against the Lakers in Game 1. Offensively, I can live with his erratic play. With Ginobili, you have to take the good with the bad. Ginobili was the latter on Wednesday night as he finished with ten points, four rebounds, three assists and four turnovers, while shooting 3-for-13 from the floor. What’s harder to deal with was Ginobili’s pitiful defensive performance. He made Vladimir Radmanovic and Sasha Vujacic look like Hall of Famers. I know Ginobili is hurting and he’s probably fatigued on top of being hurt, but with his smarts and his natural instincts, there’s no reason for him to be by far the worst defensive player on the court. It’d also be nice if Ginobili would reel himself in when he’s struggling offensively. He compounded his errors by forcing shots and passes when it obviously wasn’t his night. It’s no coincidence that Ginobili finished with a plus/minus of -19 on the night. It goes without saying that the Spurs need Ginobili to play much better if they are going to be able to make this a series.

-Tony Parker played two and a half very good quarters of basketball but then he fell off the cliff with the rest of the team. It wasn't totally Parker’s fault that the Spurs stopped playing well in the middle of the third quarter but he absolutely was part of the problem. Parker seemed to take his foot off the gas a bit and the result was a stagnated offense. On the night, Parker finished with 18 points, ten rebounds and six assists, while shooting 7-for-17 from the field. Despite his offensive struggles down the stretch, I was really impressed with Parker’s defense. Derek Fisher entered the game as perhaps the hottest shooter in the NBA and Fisher finished 1-for-9 from the field. Fisher’s lone basket came when Parker was on the bench. Parker also deserves credit for crashing the boards. However, in upcoming games, Parker needs to stay in attack mode offensively for 48 minutes.

-For the first 30 minutes of the game, Bruce Bowen was playing defense at an amazingly high level. While it’s true that Bryant was looking for his teammates early on, Bowen’s defense also had a major hand in Bryant’s slow start. Over the first 30 minutes, Bryant had just four points. At that point, Bowen went to the bench and Bryant responded by scoring nine points and dishing out four assists in the next six minutes. By the time Bowen returned to the court, Bryant was in an unstoppable groove and Bowen was basically helpless. Bowen did his best to slow him down but to no avail. In addition to his defensive play, Bowen was effective offensively. He scored 12 points on 5-for-8 shooting from the floor, including 2-for-4 from beyond the three-point arc. All told, Bowen played well enough for the Spurs to win.

-Fabricio Oberto started at center but only played 12 minutes. I thought he played rather well on both end of the court. He finished with four points, four rebounds and connected on half of his four field goal attempts. Most impressively, he defended Lamar Odom well. Oberto earned more minutes in this series going forward, especially when the Lakers play both Gasol and Odom at the same time.

-After a heroic final four games against the Hornets, Ime Udoka came crashing back down to earth in Game 1 against the Lakers. Udoka played 25 minutes but managed just seven points and one rebound, while shooting 3-for-7 from the floor. His stats don’t explain how poorly he played. Offensively, Udoka fired a number of questionable shots and made a handful of poor decisions. On defense, Udoka was fouling way too much and did a poor job against Bryant. His defense, outside of the time he spent on Bryant, was solid but he needs to play much better for the Spurs to have a chance. Another poor outing like Game 1 and he’ll find himself reburied on the bench.

-I don’t think there’s a word in the English language that can convey exactly how Michael Finley played. Finley was horrible, putrid, pitiful or any other synonym you want to throw out there. In 22 minutes, he went scoreless by missing all five of his shots. His defense was poor and the Lakers took advantage of every minute he was on the court. Truthfully though, part of Finley’s problem was Pop putting him in positions to fail – like when he put him on Odom late in the fourth quarter defensively.

-Brent Barry played 11 minutes and did more good than bad. He finished with two points, one rebound, one assist and one steal. His steal was especially impressive because defense has been his weakest point since his return from injury. With as poorly as Udoka and Finley played, Barry could be in line for more minutes in upcoming games.

-Robert Horry played five minutes in the first quarter but then didn't return to the court until the final seconds. In his five minutes, Horry played good defense and had a blocked shot. He didn’t attempt a shot from the field.

-Kurt Thomas played four minutes and hit one of his two shots. Thomas finished without a rebound and was embarrassed by Pau Gasol on one defensive possession.

-As well as Pop coached in the first two rounds of the playoffs, that’s how poorly he coached in Game 1 against the Lakers. By far his biggest coaching mistake of the game was benching Bowen in the middle of the third quarter. I’ve thought about what the hell Pop could have been thinking and I still haven’t figured out the faulty logic he used to bench Bowen.

The Spurs were up by 20 points with six minutes to go in the third quarter and Bryant had four points. Bowen picked up his third foul and inexplicably Pop put Bowen on the bench. Why? That’s the question I will never figure out. Sure, you don’t want Bowen to pick up his fourth foul but the Lakers were on the ropes. A couple more minutes of dominating defense and the game would have been over. Bowen was in great rhythm against Bryant and the Lakers were just about at their breaking point.

I’ve tried to think of a similar poor decision in Pop’s coaching career and I can’t think of a move that was so destructive. You simply don’t bench Bowen at that point in time. You step on the Lakers’ throats – you don’t conserve fouls with a big lead on a player who wasn’t even in foul trouble. To make it worse, Pop eventually put Ginobili on Bryant. The same Ginobili who couldn’t defend Radmanovic or Vujacic. Bryant was on fire so Pop decided to try to cool him off pouring gasoline on him? Great going, Pop.

Pop had other mistakes but that one substitution was an unforgivable mistake. Right when Bowen went to the bench for no reason, the Lakers went on a 14-0 run. You could literally see Bryant’s eyes light up. Seriously, Pop couldn’t have messed up the game more if he tried. If Phil Jackson could have told Pop what he wanted the Spurs to do to choke away the game, Jackson would have been hard pressed to think of such a great plan.

The bottomline is the Spurs blew a golden opportunity. While it’s painful, the Spurs can’t let it be demoralizing. Instead, the Spurs need to use this loss as fuel to go out and get Game 2.

Honestly, a lot of good things happened in Game 1. Duncan snapped out of his funk. Parker played well for a majority of the game. Bowen played well. Oberto and Horry showed they can stay with Odom. The Spurs built a 20-point lead by playing great defense and smart offense. If it wasn’t for the coaching blunder to end all coaching blunders, the Spurs would have been in good shape.

Going forward, I expect Ginobili to come to life and a few role players to step up. If Pop can just not get in the way, the Spurs still have a very good chance to win this series. Bryant is playing amazing basketball and the Lakers are an extremely talented and well-coached team, but the Spurs can climb this mountain. I know they can.

Believe.

peacemaker885
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
AT LAST! Something worthwhile to read....

rAm
05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
It was a huge wasted opportunity, that is what bothers me the most. You need to take all the opportunities you get in order to win a championship, and I hope this isn't the game we look back on as the reason we didn't make it to the finals.

On another note: why is it that Laker fans are the most insecure fans about losing? I have never had to deal with more ridiculous responses to a game than last nights. I guess that is what I get for living in LA. Oh well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:31 PM
sig

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
props for this particular edition

most Spurs fans would want to try to forget this game as soon as possible after yesterday,
and pretend it never happened. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
Man, was that a dissappointing game. Especially with the way Manu played so poorly. I wanted to reach through the screen and slap him to wake up.

said7
05-22-2008, 06:32 PM
Nice post.

I would have liked to see more Oberto as well. They swung the ball very well when he was in.

I also like Horry on Odom.

duncan228
05-22-2008, 06:32 PM
I thought he played rather on both end of the court.

Oberto played rather...? I think a word is missing. :)

Great as always. Thanks.

timvp
05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Oberto played rather...? I think a word is missing. :)Fixed. Thanks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Udoka should guard Odom one-on-one. There was a play where Odom tried to post up Udoka and try to get in the paint, and Udoka stood his ground and denied him the look, which resulted in an erratic shot. My jaw dropped when he did that. I then realized Udoka really is strong.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Fixed. Thanks.

I wonder why Pop didn't keep Oberto with Duncan in the second half. Duncan only benefits with Oberto at his side.

Was he in foul trouble?

Spuradicator
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
AT LAST! Something worthwhile to read....

+1

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
And was Kurt's defense on that Gasol field goal that bad to glue a seat to him? I can't remember that play.

timvp
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I wonder why Pop didn't keep Oberto with Duncan in the second half. Duncan only benefits with Oberto at his side.

Was he in foul trouble?The Lakers went to tiny ball in the middle of the third by taking Odom and Fisher out of the game and putting in Vujacic and Farmar. Oberto can guard Odom but not Radmanovic.

beachwood
05-22-2008, 06:44 PM
After this place being bombarded by all the Laker troll posts this was such a great read. For the life of me I can't figure out what Pop was thinking in the 3rd quarter with Bowen on the bench.

Likewise I was really please with Oberto/KT's play against Odom. Especially Oberto. He needs way more minutes with TD in the front court.

timvp
And was Kurt's defense on that Gasol field goal that bad to glue a seat to him? I can't remember that play.If you blinked, you missed it. Gasol was on Thomas and did a spin move and dunked it. Thomas was left staring into the crowd.

Budkin
Damn I've been waiting all day for this and it was well worth it as always. We got this shit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:46 PM
If you blinked, you missed it. Gasol was on Thomas and did a spin move and dunked it. Thomas was left staring into the crowd.

Hmm. Well as much as Kurt was dismantled on that play, I still think he should be given another shot at defending Gasol.

timvp
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Hmm. Well as much as Kurt was dismantled on that play, I still think he should be given another shot at defending Gasol.Agreed. Thomas, in theory, is the Spurs' second best option on Gasol. Gasol has an enormous wingspan and perhaps the best hand-eye coordination in the league of any bigman ... but he sometimes doesn't like it if you rough him up.

duncan228
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
...tiny ball...

:lmao

slayermin
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I didn't catch all the post game interviews last night.

Did anyone actually ask Pop about the Bowen substitution? Did he take blame for the loss at all?

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Agreed. Thomas, in theory, is the Spurs' second best option on Gasol. Gasol has an enormous wingspan and perhaps the best hand-eye coordination in the league of any bigman ... but he sometimes doesn't like it if you rough him up.

If Kurt is able to keep Gasol at bay, do you think we can solve the Kobe-lob-to-Gasol problem that killed us for a good 3-4 times?
Bowen can be in Kobe's face, while Kurt keeps Gasol away from the possible lop opportunity, but if he happens to slip, there's Duncan for help D.

timvp
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM

Did anyone actually ask Pop about the Bowen substitution? Did he take blame for the loss at all?Pop didn't get into specifics -- like usual. However, Bowen was visibly angry after the game. He hinted at his displeasure of being taken out of the game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
The Lakers went to tiny ball in the middle of the third by taking Odom and Fisher out of the game and putting in Vujacic and Farmar. Oberto can guard Odom but not Radmanovic.

Damn, good chess move...though Ginobili and Finley didn't help our smallball team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Pop didn't get into specifics -- like usual. However, Bowen was visibly angry after the game. He hinted at his displeasure of being taken out of the game.

I don't blame him. Although Kobe was starting to heat up, Bowen was still doing a good job on him.

timvp
If Kurt is able to keep Gasol at bay, do you think we can solve the Kobe-Gasol pick & roll problem easily?
Bowen can be in Kobe's face, while Kurt keeps Gasol away from the possible pick & roll, but if he happens to slip, there's Duncan for help D.Not really because Duncan would then be out on the perimeter guarding either Odom or Radmanovic. It's going to have to be Duncan on Gasol for a majority of the time. Thomas on Gasol comes into play when Duncan is on the bench. I don't think we'll see much of Duncan and Thomas on the court at the same time.

The Bryant and Gasol pick-and-roll is difficult to guard but probably not as difficult as the other pick-and-roll tandems the Spurs have faced this postseason. That one play won't beat them.

LakerLanny
05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
timvp,

That was a great summary, very well done.

To me, Game 2 is the critical game for both teams. The Lakers won Game 1, but surely can't be happy about being 20 down at home....that isn't a great sign.

The Spurs are smart enough to know Game 2 is essentially a must win for them, there is no way they want to try and dig out of another 0-2 hole without the HCA like they had to in the last round.

I expect a war Friday night.

duncan228
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM

For anyone that may have missed interviews and wants to see them:

Jackson and Pop post game interviews here:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/pc08_p311_saslal_080521.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba

Manu, Duncan, Thomas, Bowen, and Horry post game locker room interviews here:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/playoffs_2008.html

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I don't blame him. Although Kobe was starting to heat up, Bowen was still doing a good job on him.

When Bowen came back to defend Kobe, after Ginobili's incapability to check him..the contrast was tenfold. In retrospect, Pop messed up.
Before Ginobili, I think Udoka was put on Kobe to test him out... Pop took our 20 point lead for granted.

rAm
timvp,

That was a great summary, very well done.

To me, Game 2 is the critical game for both teams. The Lakers won Game 1, but surely can't be happy about being 20 down at home....that isn't a great sign.

The Spurs are smart enough to know Game 2 is essentially a must win for them, there is no way they want to try and dig out of another 0-2 hole without the HCA like they had to in the last round.

I expect a war Friday night.

+1

dbreiden83080
Great write up and i agree about Pop, what was he thinking last night??

rAm
05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Wasn't it only a 20-pt lead for a matter of seconds? It was more like a steady 14-16 point lead if I remember correctly. The 20 point lead thing makes me want to throw up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
My keys to Game 2-
Manu and Kurt's defense-don't let Vlad, Sasha, and Gasol go off.
Offensive Chemistry-can't be hurrying and panicking down the stretch again. Take it a possession at a time.
Resurrection of Rob and Brent-they both played well in limited minutes. So give them more.
Finley-Just get your shit together.
Udoka on Odom-I think it can work.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Not really because Duncan would then be out on the perimeter guarding either Odom or Radmanovic. It's going to have to be Duncan on Gasol for a majority of the time. Thomas on Gasol comes into play when Duncan is on the bench. I don't think we'll see much of Duncan and Thomas on the court at the same time.

The Bryant and Gasol pick-and-roll is difficult to guard but probably not as difficult as the other pick-and-roll tandems the Spurs have faced this postseason. That one play won't beat them.

:tu

GrandeDavid
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
LJ, dude, your thoughts are right on the money as always. I especially left speechless after your assessment of Udoka and Finley. I would not describe their (non) performances any differently.

I came within a shred of rationality from throwing my effing laptop off my balcony from 18 stories up into the streets of Uberlandia. I didn't do it because I thought it would be decent of me to at least give it to someone in need.

ducks
05-22-2008, 07:01 PM
why did pop think manu can defend kobe
spurs usually try to hide manu some on the other teams worse o player
manu can still the ball but he gambles to much to be on kobe

J.T.
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Hm. Bowen's reaction makes me think Pop is up to something here.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
why did pop think manu can defend kobe
spurs usually try to hide manu some on the other teams worse o player
manu can still the ball but he gambles to much to be on kobe

Manu sometimes gives Bruce a rest, on perimeter players. Some days he defends better than others due to his lateral quickness.
He had no business checking Kobe yesterday, however.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 07:05 PM
For anyone that may have missed interviews and wants to see them:

Jackson and Pop post game interviews here:

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/pc08_p311_saslal_080521.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba

Manu, Duncan, Thomas, Bowen, and Horry post game locker room interviews here:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/playoffs_2008.html

Thanks.

It's good to have Horry in that locker room.

jman3000
05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
costas was right about that play when we were up 7 and got a big stop ... kobe stole the ball from duncan i believe about a second after we had possession and went in for the easy lay up.. .insstead of being up 7 with 24 seconds to milk... we're up 5 and gave them an opportunity to score 2 points in basically 1 second of game time.

timvp
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
costas was right about that play when we were up 7 and got a big stop ... kobe stole the ball from duncan i believe about a second after we had possession and went in for the easy lay up.. .insstead of being up 7 with 24 seconds to milk... we're up 5 and gave them an opportunity to score 2 points in basically 1 second of game time.It was Doug Collins but yeah thanks for reminding me of the horrific Collins/Costas pairing of yesteryear :madrun

Russ
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I was at the game last night and my opinion of the Lakers hasn't changed -- they ain't that good folks. I still think the Spurs win this series.

I just hope the team isn't thinking like that. :)

foodie2
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I can't tell you how much I agree with you about the Pop/Bowen benching thing. I kept screaming at Pop from my couch but it did no good. WTF was he thinking? Also Horry and Barry were playing well and they never sniffed the court outside of a few minutes. I just don't understand.

Capt Bringdown
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Pop had other mistakes but that one substitution was an unforgivable mistake. RIf Phil Jackson could have told Pop what he wanted the Spurs to do to choke away the game, Jackson would have been hard pressed to think of such a great plan.

That decision was just crazy! If we win this series, it will be forgotten, but if not we will look back and wonder.

Pop seems to be intimidated by PJ? I don't think PJ wastes words, so I reckon he knew what he was doing with his famous "simulator crew" crack.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-22-2008, 07:57 PM
That decision was just crazy! If we win this series, it will be forgotten, but if not we will look back and wonder.

Pop seems to be intimidated by PJ? I don't think PJ wastes words, so I reckon he knew what he was doing with his famous "simulator crew" crack.

I don't know if Pop is intimidated, but he might be self-aware of the personal challenge in taking it to Phil Jackson. In the first half , Phil was probably surprised that they were going to possibly lose th game.

Anyway, I trust in Pop, I know he can right the ship, and really get our team to beat Phil's Lakers.

beachwood
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
My keys to Game 2-
Manu and Kurt's defense-don't let Vlad, Sasha, and Gasol go off.
Offensive Chemistry-can't be hurrying and panicking down the stretch again. Take it a possession at a time.
Resurrection of Rob and Brent-they both played well in limited minutes. So give them more.
Finley-Just get your shit together.
Udoka on Odom-I think it can work.

And more Oberto. He played well on Odom and TD and Oberto have good chemistry.

polandprzem
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I was thinking about this game all the time.
All the fricking time! All day long. The game1 in my head. The loss. The loss. Won game lost!
RU kidding me?

And as I was thinking about that game I came out with some thoughts.
Ofcourse everybody will say Manu blew it, Pop blew it, Bowen should stay on Kobe etc.
But what was more important? The thing that the spurs match up better with LA then with Hornets. The thing that Spurs played easier (if can you say that at that stage of the playoffs) against LA then NO.

You know - they run out of gas but no excuses. The sport is brutal but I think there is something more to it.

Spurs came up strong and with a good plan and they were doing what they were suppose to do. La were flat, rusty whatever. Tim plyed realy good. If there was a win we could say fantastic. (btw. How good of a defender Chandler is and how good was Orlean in stopping TD - underrated Hornets team).

Someone said that Phil will not double Tim at the begining, the he went to doble him more as the game progressed. Good tactic. Not get shooters a confidence at the begining, shut them down. Then when they will get tired - dig in the % will drop as the shooters 1. do not have the confidence 2. do not have fresh legs anymore. It is always good to have the same tactic through 3 quarters and then make a change in the 4th. It confuses and disrupts a bit. And adjust to that is hard thing to do.

We blame Pop for the loss

Small ball went bad, but how could it as the spurs playing small in one of the contests crushed LA. The moving was there the motion was there and spurs could roll. Pop thought maybe they will click on some point he hold Finley trusting him and thinking maybe he could drain a dagger, he brough up Barry thinking he could bring some motion and smart passing - nothing went his way (IMO). Finley was fighting for some positions but he was unable to do anything and he failed as he could fail the most, guarding Odom was death. I'd rather see Thomas on ODom and stay big cause we need rebounding. Without rebs we are lost.

Gino was lost. And I will come back to the being tired excuse.
Gino excample - he was absolutely out of sync. He made awefull decisions, and he made some horrible decisions and also some bad decisions.
He was mentioning something about the head in the game (Rob said is as well). And when you are tired you just not thinking right. That's why they folded on gameplan, that's why they made some bad passes, that's why they rushed some shots. I remember one situation when Gino went on a drive and LA closed him he decided to pass cross court Turnover, and he had TD right there close to him open.
All in all you can have your body tired and you can prevail with head.
But at some point you are so tired you just not function right.
That was a bad sign. And I was hoping the spurs will survive.

They didn't.

Bright spot was that they were not whining to the refs.

Now the spurs just simply must win next game. And Pop will have to stay sharp and make instant decisions.
If there is possibility to free up Manu and he can manage it he must do it.
TD must to stay TD
Manu must be back
Tony macarony
Bowen own 'em

Beat LA!

DazedAndConfused
05-22-2008, 08:26 PM
It's going to be an awesome game tomorrow. I don't expect SAS to make too many adjustments to be honest. Defensively they shut the Lakers down for 3 1/2 quarters and offensively they were simply ice cold from the field. A few more 3pters go in and they would have snagged the victory.

The Lakers, OTOH, have a lot of work to do. The Spurs are excellent at coming in and taking away your primary offensive options. They shut down the interior and denied LA it's usual layup drill for most of the game. I'm not comfortable with needing Kobe to be super-aggressive all game just for us to get good looks on offense. Phil may have to tweak the starting lineups to insert more speed and shooters to spread the floor and open up the lanes. Sasha, in particular, was very effective against Ginobli and he is our best 3pt shooter.

Admidave50
05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
I put the blame on Manu, he was a big disappointment and was frustrating to watch the whole game. He got outplayed by Vujacic, that can't happened again. He got the best of him offensively and defensively. He played physically against Manu and Manu lost his cool which led to bad decisions.

If Vujacic>Manu, it will be hard to beat the Lakers.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Good recap, although you don't mention the obvious fatigue the players showed from the late-3rd Q onwards. They were all a step slow to every loose ball, stopped penetrating and moving. I think a lot of that was let-down from that huge game 7, and fatigue.

Anyway, we'll see a different team in game 2. ;)

Killakobe81
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Classy recap as always ... Series is FAR from over but that was a HUGE WIN for LA

bigfundamental21
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for another great recap, timvp.

It was a disappointing loss, but there are not too many adjustments that have to be made. I am still confident that we can win this series and I expect a much more focused Spurs team tomorrow night. All we have to do is play the full 48!

GO SPURS GO!

BELIEVE!

ballhog
05-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Wasn't it only a 20-pt lead for a matter of seconds? It was more like a steady 14-16 point lead if I remember correctly. The 20 point lead thing makes me want to throw up.

Good point. I thought the same thing. I can't remember them being up 20 before Kobe went of and it was over in 3 min.

urunobili
05-23-2008, 08:04 AM
The Lakers went to tiny ball in the middle of the third by taking Odom and Fisher out of the game and putting in Vujacic and Farmar. Oberto can guard Odom but not Radmanovic.

Oberto has ALWAYS owned Odom on International ball... Radmanovic was a match up problem for Argentina in 2002... i agree with this... but Oberto has played both enough to be able to do a decent job on them... i expect Pop to play him a WHOLE lot more tonight... :flag:

DarrinS
05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Great analysis as usual.

You really have to give credit to the Lakers, though. Lesser teams would have folded in that game.

Looking forward to game 2. :flag:

SpurOutofTownFan
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I thought Bowen played admirabily well for the huge task he had on hands - he only picked up his 3rd well in the 3rd quarter against the best player. Winning by 20pts I would have left Bowen out there until his fifth, etc. By that time the game would have been more than over.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:15 AM
I don't think it's fair criticism of Pop for taking Bowen out with 3 fouls.

If up 20 points midway through the third quarter isn't a good time to save Bruce for the entire fourth quarter with an ample amount of fouls, when is? If the Spurs were up 30, would it be ok? If the Spurs were only up 2 points, would that have been more acceptable?

The decision is a catch-22. If Pop leaves Bruce in, and Bruce gets a foul the very next possession, Pop is forced to take him out and probably won't be questioned for taking him out at that point. But, say that happens and the Lakers still make their run and in the fourth quarter, Bruce fouls out with 2 minutes to go in the game and Lakers win by the same 3-4 points. Then, everyone and their mamas question why Pop didn't take Bowen out when he got his 3rd foul when the Spurs were up 20 points.

Catch-22.

Pop knew Kobe was going to get aggressive and the Lakers were going to make a run. What Pop was doing was playing the odds. The Spurs were up 20 points, Bruce was going to need a little bit of a rest anyway late in the third or early in the fourth. He gets extra rest and he can play basically the entire fourth quarter with 3 fouls to give.

It actually makes too much sense. But, it didn't work.

It's easy to question the decision in retrospect. Hindsight is 20/20. The decision may have been one of the reasons for the loss, but at the time, it wasn't a horrible decision if you think about the risk versus reward scenarios of leaving him in versus taking him.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2008, 09:28 AM
If up 20 points midway through the third quarter isn't a good time to save Bruce for the entire fourth quarter with an ample amount of fouls, when is? If the Spurs were up 30, would it be ok? If the Spurs were only up 2 points, would that have been more acceptable?

But in the first 2 minutes after Bowen came out when he saw Kobe attacking and destroying Udoka, the answer should have been to put Bowen back in. Not to put Manu on him. Manu had already been laboring and already been destroyed by Radmanovic and others.

Pop f'd up by leaving Bowen out so long.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Like I said, he left him out of the entire third quarter because he wanted him with those 3 fouls to give for the entire fourth quarter. He didn't want Bowen to foul out of the game when the game got close.

Udoka ended up being on Bryant for about 1:44 where Bryant hit two jumpers, drew a foul and shot free throws and got an assist. After that, Pop put Manu on him and Bryant proceeded to dissect Manu off the dribble but mostly with assists, save for that one cross, pump fake fade-away, step through off the glass move.

Pop was playing his odds. With the way Bryant started getting aggressive, there's no certainty Bowen would have slowed him down in those final minutes of the third quarter, and he could have picked up another foul.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Like I said, he left him out of the entire third quarter because he wanted him with those 3 fouls to give for the entire fourth quarter. He didn't want Bowen to foul out of the game when the game got close

The game would have never got close. They could have maintained the lead if Bowen stayed in. Then if he fouled out late in the game, it wouldn't have mattered. Pop played it as if Bowen had 4 fouls. 3 fouls is nothing. Bowen is not a foul-prone player who fouls out a lot. It was a huge mistake.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:41 AM
You're assuming Bowen would have shut down Kobe when Kobe decided to get aggressive.

That's an assumption that is neither certain nor probable.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:42 AM
You're assuming Bowen would have shut down Kobe when Kobe decided to get aggressive.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2008, 09:42 AM

No, I'm not assuming he would shut him down. I'm assuming that he would have played him much better than Udoka/Manu. In this series, Bowen should stay on the floor every minute that Kobe is on the floor. That's how the Spurs usually play. If he fouls out, then so be it. But you can't give games away in the third quarter.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:43 AM
And, Bowen could have played Kobe better and Kobe still have done the same damage he did.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
And, Bowen could have played Kobe better and Kobe still have done the same damage he did.

Yeah Kobe could have. But you have to give your team the best chance. Sitting your best defender through a 14-0 run when he only has 3 fouls isn't the best chance.

JamStone
05-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Don't completely disagree with that claim. But, I understand Pop's thinking to save Bruce for the entire fourth quarter with three fouls to give, especially since the Spurs still had a lead. In the fourth quarter, it wasn't necessarily Kobe's offensive dominance that decided the game compared to the Spurs inability to score baskets. In retrospect, maybe Pop does put Bruce back in after Udoka crapped his pants. Again, hindsight is perfect vision.

GaryJohnston
05-23-2008, 10:32 AM

But it gives us the best chance of Kobe shooting a lower percentage. No doubt in my mind that had Bowen stayed it, it would of made a hell of a difference.

ctpsb
05-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's fair criticism of Pop for taking Bowen out with 3 fouls.

The decision is a catch-22. If Pop leaves Bruce in, and Bruce gets a foul the very next possession, Pop is forced to take him out and probably won't be questioned for taking him out at that point. But, say that happens and the Lakers still make their run and in the fourth quarter, Bruce fouls out with 2 minutes to go in the game and Lakers win by the same 3-4 points. Then, everyone and their mamas question why Pop didn't take Bowen out when he got his 3rd foul when the Spurs were up 20 points.

Catch-22.

Pop knew Kobe was going to get aggressive and the Lakers were going to make a run. What Pop was doing was playing the odds. The Spurs were up 20 points, Bruce was going to need a little bit of a rest anyway late in the third or early in the fourth. He gets extra rest and he can play basically the entire fourth quarter with 3 fouls to give.

It actually makes too much sense. But, it didn't work.

It's easy to question the decision in retrospect. Hindsight is 20/20. The decision may have been one of the reasons for the loss, but at the time, it wasn't a horrible decision if you think about the risk versus reward scenarios of leaving him in versus taking him.

Great, great points. I was thinking the same things myself. If the rest of the team completely falls apart without Bowen for 4-6 minutes then they are in trouble anyway because he will need to rest and sit sometimes due to number of fouls at points in this series.

polandprzem
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Don't completely disagree with that claim. But, I understand Pop's thinking to save Bruce for the entire fourth quarter with three fouls to give, especially since the Spurs still had a lead. In the fourth quarter, it wasn't necessarily Kobe's offensive dominance that decided the game compared to the Spurs inability to score baskets. In retrospect, maybe Pop does put Bruce back in after Udoka crapped his pants. Again, hindsight is perfect vision.

Plus Pop was trying to release the offense knowing that small ball killed LA in one of the games in the season.

It was hard to swallow seeing Finley, Manu and Brent as our backcourt with Manu on Kobe, but if the spurs just could exchange the baskets then having Bowen and the gameplan they had would be a good decision. All in all Pop took a great risk and it did not pay out. Anyway spurs were close to winning this game 2 possesions our way and we would have survived.
2 shots two decisions.

Spurs had horrific turnovers
Detroit had some bad as well in the 2nd game but they survives executing every offensive possesion to perfection