PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Jobs: Top 5 Perimeter Defenders

duncan228
05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=414779

Dirty Jobs: Top 5 perimeter defenders
By Stan McNeal - SportingNews

According to an advance scout, no one does perimeter D better than these guys:

1. Bruce Bowen, Spurs. What separates him are intelligence and effort. He says he doesn’t watch a lot of video, but he’s reading scouting reports or something because he does a great job of knowing where his guy is supposed to get the ball. Some consider him a dirty player because of how shooters sometimes land on his feet, but I don’t agree. Bowen also has great versatility, able to guard anyone except centers.

2. Tayshaun Prince, Pistons. He might not be as good chasing guys around screens as Bowen is , but no one’s better at sticking with his man once he has the ball. That’s why he’ll block more shots than these other guys.

3. Raja Bell, Suns. He will get right up on his man and still make it difficult for him to get around him. What makes him different from these other guys is he’s tough and physical. For example, if Bowen gets tangled up with his man, he’s likely to flop. Bell is more likely to mix in an elbow.

4. James Posey, Celtics. He always puts that extra effort into closing out on shooters. He’s so long, and that helps him do a great job of contesting shots. When his man has the ball, Posey will try to keep a hand over it, not necessarily to reach in for it, but to make it more difficult for his man to go up for a shot.

5. Kobe Bryant , Lakers/LeBron James, Cavaliers. These two could be the best, but they just don’t always give the necessary effort. Of course, it’s more important for them to score than to defend, but that’s a difference between them and Michael Jordan. He was expected to score, too, but even during the regular season, he would flat-out lock guys down every night it was necessary. I don’t see that same focus from these two.

m33p0
05-22-2008, 09:10 PM
bronbron? i haven't watch him play alot this year.

IronMexican
05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I would put Artest on that list, bron isn't top 10. pathetic.

ShowtimeRedux
05-22-2008, 09:35 PM
LeBron is not a good defender at all... he gambles to get steals, but he doesnt shut anyone down. Artest should be on that top five instead of posey. Id actually put Artest third, and Kobe fourth.

Bob Lanier
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
2. Tayshaun Prince, Pistons. He might not be as good chasing guys around screens as Bowen is , but no one’s better at sticking with his man once he has the ball.
Ah, no, not really. Prince gets blown by fairly easily.

That’s why he’ll block more shots than these other guys.
Prince blocks fewer shots than James or Bryant, and is on par with Bowen, Bell, and Posey.

But Tay will get the :jack treatment from the media all day, if that's important for your team.

m33p0
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
agree on artest definitely, but he's primarily a post defender.

author shouldn't have placed bronbron's name in the same paragraph as jordan. not even bowen could usurp jordan when it comes to defense. he was everything these guys are and more. not only was mj a great perimeter defender but a post defender and help defender as well. karl malone must cringe everytime he thinks of that steal.

xcoriate
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
lmao this article is terrible. It's just based on the hype around each defender.. LeBron are you kidding me?

xcoriate
05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
I mean there isn't even one savvy pick in there... you know a Devin Harris, Quintin Ross or even Ime Udoka style guy.

djohn14
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
LeBron is a good defender when he sets his mind to it. A lot of you dont even watch the Cavs. He will be a first team player on D in a few years. He dosent always focus on it though in fear he will pick up fouls. Some things that are in his favor is speed cant kill him because he is just as fast, strength cant kill him because he is just as strong, and because someone gets by him dosent mean they will score because he'll chase them down for the block. Please dont judge someone unless you watch him on a nightly basis. In crunch time LeBron steps it up. Please dont bring Pierce into this, because the shots he made where rediculous. Prior to game 7, LeBron shut him down.

kobe_mvp_24
05-23-2008, 12:12 AM
here are my top 5 floppers in the NBA

1- manu ginobli

2- bruce bown

3- tim duncan

4- tony parker

5- robert horry

so pretty much its off topic but just felt like lettin u guys know

pawe
05-23-2008, 12:44 AM

1- manu ginobli

2- bruce bown

3- tim duncan

4- tony parker

5- robert horry

Why is Kobe's dick not on the list? Im sure it gets tired from all those skanks he's banging when his wife is not around. Back to the topic now.

Dalamar_the_Dark
05-23-2008, 03:45 AM
Where's Shane Battier?

PumpUpTheJam
05-23-2008, 04:08 AM
Coincidence that 4 out of 5 are in the conference finals?

PumpUpTheJam
05-23-2008, 04:09 AM

1- manu ginobli

2- bruce bown

3- tim duncan

4- tony parker

5- robert horry

Oberto didn't make the cut?

Your list needs work.

xcoriate
05-23-2008, 04:13 AM
LeBron is a good defender when he sets his mind to it. A lot of you dont even watch the Cavs. He will be a first team player on D in a few years. He dosent always focus on it though in fear he will pick up fouls. Some things that are in his favor is speed cant kill him because he is just as fast, strength cant kill him because he is just as strong, and because someone gets by him dosent mean they will score because he'll chase them down for the block. Please dont judge someone unless you watch him on a nightly basis. In crunch time LeBron steps it up. Please dont bring Pierce into this, because the shots he made where rediculous. Prior to game 7, LeBron shut him down.

Please... you're coming across like the anti-ducks.

So even though he doesn't focus on it and only plays proper d half the time he is deserving of a top 5 ranking. You can't be a top 5 defender if half the time you don't care and let your guy run past you.

Matchman
05-23-2008, 04:14 AM
The list shows a great amount of NBA knowledge and obviously he did not bother to watch any part of the 22-game winning streak. Now thats called ignoring the hype.

Dim Tuncan
05-23-2008, 04:15 AM
LeBron fucking SUCKS on defense no matter what those two ST fags JoeTait75 and Lefty try to say. He just fucking sucks. There's no sugarcoating it.

ShowtimeRedux
05-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Rondo is also a very good defensive perimeter defender, and he's very underrated. Shane Battier is good, Marion is good, theres a lot of guys you could arguably put up there.

djohn14
05-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Please... you're coming across like the anti-ducks.

So even though he doesn't focus on it and only plays proper d half the time he is deserving of a top 5 ranking. You can't be a top 5 defender if half the time you don't care and let your guy run past you.

No he dosent deserve top 5 defender status. Like someone said...Shane Battier is off the list. All Im saying is by no means LeBron is a bad defensive player. In a few years...he just might earn that status though.

balli
05-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Just to copy what everyone else said:

Lebron is getting better and better at perimeter D. Plus their defensive system is so good that any lapses get covered by his teamates. He worked last summer at least on his lateral movement and I'd expect he will continue to improve as an mono y mono defensive force. He's great at getting blocks that nobody outside of Dwight Howard could get and he's actually good on gambling at the right time. That said, he's not even top 20 in the league in terms of perimeter D.