PDA

View Full Version : Orsborn: Finley Doesn't Stress Over Poor Shooting

duncan228
05-22-2008, 11:38 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052308_SpursSider.en.3897cf8.html

NBA: Finley doesn't stress over poor shooting
Tom Orsborn

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Spurs guard Michael Finley met the media Thursday holding a blueberry muffin in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other.

Between bites and sips, he calmly discussed his dismal shooting performance in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals.

Although his touch in Wednesday's stunning 89-85 loss to the Lakers wasn't as sweet as his breakfast, it didn't seem to weigh down Finley.

“It's nothing I am going to dwell on,” he said. “As far as last night goes, today is a new day.”

A short memory served Finley well in the Western Conference semifinals. After missing 5 of 6 shots in both Games 4 and 5 against New Orleans, the 13-year veteran sank 5 of 7, including 2 of 4 from 3-point territory, in Game 6 for 12 points. In Game 7, he connected on 4 of 7, including 3 of 5 from beyond the arc, for 11 points.

His hot hand, though, apparently didn't make it to the West Coast. In 21 minutes against the Lakers, he missed all five of his shots — all from 3-point range — including four in the pivotal final period.

“I just missed the shots,” said Finley, who played well defensively and notched two rebounds and two assists. “Every game I expect to hit my shots. Last night, unfortunately, I wasn't able to, but it's just one game.”

Finley wasn't the only reserve to struggle for the Spurs. Ime Udoka missed 4 of 7 shots, including 1 of 3 from downtown, and Brent Barry missed 2 of 3, including his only 3-point attempt.

The Lakers, meanwhile, got a spark from their subs. Led by Sasha Vujacic's 10 points on 3-of-8 shooting, including a 2-of-5 effort from 3-point land, the Lakers' bench outscored the Spurs' reserves 21-11.

Of course, the Lakers' bench is much younger and didn't arrive in Los Angeles on Tuesday morning after spending seven hours on a tarmac in New Orleans.

“I pretty much stayed up that night,” the 35-year-old Finley said. “I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep. But I was fine. We were able to get to the hotel in ample time, and I got a good night's sleep and a good meal.”

The Spurs didn't practice Thursday and several players, including Finley, said their plan was to stay at the team hotel and rest.

“The most important thing is to rest physically and mentally and get prepared to play again,” said Finley, who is averaging 6.5 points and 24 minutes in the playoffs after averaging 10.1 points and 26 minutes in the regular season.

Finley's coach and teammates expect him to bounce back in Game 2, set for 8 tonight at the Staples Center.

“Sometimes people don't make shots,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “Michael will be fine. He's like any other player. Some nights you shoot well, some nights you don't. It's not a big deal.”

Bob Lanier
05-22-2008, 11:41 PM
How about defense? Does he stress about that?

ducks
05-22-2008, 11:43 PM
I hope pop does not plan on playinghim over 15 minutes

Tek_XX
05-22-2008, 11:52 PM
No offense, no defense, it's obvious he doesn't stress anything.

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Who is stressed out when they're about to retire?

Trainwreck2100
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
he stresses me

midgetonadonkey
05-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't understand why Pop doesn't play Barry over Finley. At least give it a shot. Fuck Finley is shit. I can shoot a better percentage from 3 than Finley and I'm a fat mexican.

milkyway21
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Finley must not drink orange but energy drink tonight to make his 3pt shots. we need it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Of course he doesn't stress, he knows he's going to get his 20+ minutes a game whether or not he's doing a damn thing for the team because of Pop's stubborness.

pawe
05-23-2008, 12:49 AM
he stresses me

+1

SenorSpur
05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Personally, and I've said this before, I'm sick of having to live with Finley incredible slumps and cold streaks. Sure he gets on a periodic roll and he does have the best stroke on the team, but you can't trust him to provide consistent productivity.

As someone stated earlier, I also don't know why Pop doesn't play Barry more ahead of Finley when he's clearly struggling.

Win or lose, I hope this is his LAST year in a Spurs uniform.

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2008, 02:05 AM
he aint stressing cause his bankn 2 paychecks

hive_attack
05-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Udoka and Barry>Finley

Radiosparks
05-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Personally, and I've said this before, I'm sick of having to live with Finley incredible slumps and cold streaks. Sure he gets on a periodic roll and he does have the best stroke on the team, but you can't trust him to provide consistent productivity.

As someone stated earlier, I also don't know why Pop doesn't play Barry more ahead of Finley when he's clearly struggling.

Win or lose, I hope this is his LAST year in a Spurs uniform.

Indeed! I would rather see Barry get Finley's minutes when he's struggling. :bang

Cloud786
05-23-2008, 04:54 AM
All of you'll will change your tunes quickly if he hits some important shots tonight. How quickly we forget game 1's clutch jumper against phoenix. Finley WILL be fine and he will make a difference in this series with his 3 point shooting.

1Parker1
05-23-2008, 08:01 AM
“I just missed the shots,” said Finley, who played well defensively and notched two rebounds and two assists. “Every game I expect to hit my shots. Last night, unfortunately, I wasn't able to, but it's just one game.”

What game was this?!?! If Finley isn't going to shoot the ball well and he's not playing good defense/rebounding, his minutes may as well go to Barry.

hsxvvd
05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
He must be due for a hot streak.

Jimcs50
05-23-2008, 08:04 AM
This is the exact mindset that he must have. He can not worry over what happened in the past, he needs to keep being positive. This is what separates a great pro from a bench warmer.

I like it.

said7
05-23-2008, 08:17 AM
13 playoff games and hes played well in maybe 2. At this point it has to be mental.

mrspurs
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
i dont think anyone will change their tones if finley's shot is on tonight....i give all players knuckle love when they hit shots....its the inbetween times (between making shots) that makes the knucklelove's get harder and harder.......with finley, i woulda broke his or my fists long ago.....someone said it earlier...win or lose i hope finley isnt a spurs jersey next yr.........go spurs go