PDA

View Full Version : Finger: Lakers Gain Confidence, But Don't Expect An Easy Path

duncan228
05-22-2008, 11:44 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052308_LakersSider.en.3897bbc.html

NBA: Lakers gain confidence, but don't expect an easy path
Mike Finger

LOS ANGELES — As a group, this newest version of the Los Angeles Lakers is relatively young and undeniably European, which can make for some nontraditional NBA tastes in personal style and grooming.

But after the Lakers overcame a 20-point second-half deficit to beat the Spurs in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals, Derek Fisher explained his still-developing team was in for some old-school changes.

“Those are the type of wins,” Fisher said, “that at least for the men in the room, put a little hair on your chest.”

Wednesday's comeback was that kind of a coming-of-age moment for a Lakers team that — outside of Fisher and Kobe Bryant — is trying to assert its postseason machismo. Now that they've proven themselves capable of escaping dire circumstances to outplay the defending champions under pressure, the Lakers have yet another reason to believe their NBA title aspirations are legitimate.

“The crew that we have here, everybody's so young,” Bryant said. “I think it's a big confidence boost for them.”

Even with that being said, the Lakers insisted Thursday they weren't quite as ready as some of the Southern California locals to start booking their trips east for the NBA Finals.

The Lakers are, after all, the same team that managed to dig itself into a huge deficit at home against the Spurs. And even though everything fell into place for them Wednesday, the Lakers said they know no team is good enough to count on monumental rallies every game.

“We can't live that way,” Fisher said. “We understand that's not the recipe for success.”

The one thing for certain is that however the Lakers decide to cook things up, Bryant will be the key ingredient. He took his time in Game 1, making only one of three shots in the first half while consistently shunning good looks at the basket in favor of passing to teammates. When he started looking for his own shot in the third quarter, he ignited a game-changing 14-0 run and pulled the Lakers back from the brink of a blowout. He scored 25 of his 27 points in the second half, but he insisted Thursday it wasn't by design.

“I'm not smart enough for that,” Bryant said. “I just go out and play.”

But wasn't getting his teammates involved early and taking over late what he wanted to do?

“Everybody's making too much of a big deal out of it,” he said. “We got back into the game because of pretty solid defense. What I did is just infuse some more energy to our ballclub.”

That energy paid off, but the Lakers aren't counting on the Spurs to lose all of theirs. They remember how bad the Spurs looked in lopsided losses in New Orleans only to win the conference semifinals, and they know something similar can happen if they aren't careful.

“We can't expect to just break those guys,” Lamar Odom said.

“I don't see Game 1 lingering into Game 2,” Bryant said. “I think they'll be ready to go.”

pawe
05-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I doubt chest hair would grow on sasha vujacic.

TD=old&busted
05-23-2008, 01:01 AM
game 1 is second most important game of a seven game series, the Lakes can easily cruise past the Spurs

Princess Pimp
05-23-2008, 01:39 AM
“I don't see Game 1 lingering into Game 2,” Bryant said. “I think they'll be ready to go.”

And they will still lose yet again, this time by double digits

ForeignFan
05-23-2008, 08:47 AM
And they will still lose yet again, this time by double digits

And eventually you will go fishing again, for the third time, until you root for Boston or Detroit ...

Ginofan
05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
game 1 is second most important game of a seven game series, the Lakes can easily cruise past the Spurs

:lol:rollin:lmao

jmard5
05-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Say what? :lmao

SpurYank
05-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey, Princess Pimp, you having fun watching the NBA playoffs?

Capt Bringdown
05-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Spurs need not only a win, but some stunning psychological edge, similar to what the Lakers gained in game 1.

Even if the Lakers lose game 2, they should certainly be confident that they can win in SA. The Spurs showed everyone in game 1 that they can be pressured into choking large leads away. We're vulnerable.

Manu-of-steel
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Spurs need not only a win, but some stunning psychological edge, similar to what the Lakers gained in game 1.

Even if the Lakers lose game 2, they should certainly be confident that they can win in SA. The Spurs showed everyone in game 1 that they can be pressured into choking large leads away. We're vulnerable.

Game 1 also showed what the spurs can do to the lakers. we can bury them, we have the capability,

2Cleva
05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Game 1 also showed what the spurs can do to the lakers. we can bury them, we have the capability,

The thing is - the Lakers already knew that. Thats part of the reason they played so poorly, imo - out of awe/respect of the champs.

Now, they know they took the best shot from the Spurs and can still win - as well as have the ultimate ace in Kobe.

Expect LA to be strong out the gate on this one.

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah...that's what the Hornets thought...and they are much tougher at home than the Lakers...

beachwood
05-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I doubt chest hair would grow on sasha vujacic.

It made hair grown on his mangina.

DazedAndConfused
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't think either team is going to "bury" each other from here on out.

I expect a close game throughout.

DazedAndConfused
05-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah...that's what the Hornets thought...and they are much tougher at home than the Lakers...

But also much weaker on the road.

The Lakers can win on the road in the most hostile environments.

LakeShow
05-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Please stop comparing the Lakers to the Hornets! Two different teams, players and coaches. What happened to them has nothing to do with the Lakers.

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
But also much weaker on the road.

The Lakers can win on the road in the most hostile environments.

We haven't played Games 3 and 4 yet... :hat

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't think either team is going to "bury" each other from here on out.

I expect a close game throughout.

True dat...I think those big point swings in Game 1 were an aberration...I don't see any blowouts in this series by either team. :toast

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Please stop comparing the Lakers to the Hornets! Two different teams, players and coaches. What happened to them has nothing to do with the Lakers.

Not yet, anyway...the Lakers have to take a 2-0 lead in the series first...and that ain't gonna happen...

pad300
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Now, they know they took the best shot from the Spurs and can still win

You know, I've met some very stupid people in my time, but shooting 3/21 in the 4th quarter is the Spurs best shot?!? You sir, have made my all time list of dumbshits...