PDA

View Full Version : TO Cleared.

IceColdBrewski
01-25-2005, 07:16 PM
ESPNews reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens (lower leg) has been given permission to try running on his injured leg provided he continues with his rehab. The team will not make a decision on Owens' availability for the Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 6, until he shows he can successfully run and cut without any pain or limitation.

ALVAREZ6
01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Good.

Good luck TO!

IceColdBrewski
01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
He has been cleared to run but not play. Which doesn't matter really. The Doctor is going to cover his ass so there's no way he'll clear him to play. But I suspect that we'll see Owens play in the Super Bowl. The Eagles training staff will wrap the Ankle as tight as they can to prevent further injury. He might not be very effective. But then again, after watching him jump around on the sidelines last Sunday, he might suprise a lot of us.

Championship: Patriots at Eagles

ESPN.com news services
PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens' doctor said Tuesday he will not give the All-Pro receiver clearance to play in the Super Bowl.

Owens saw his doctor Tuesday, one day after telling reporters he would play against the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX on Feb. 6.

Dr. Mark Myerson said he's pleased with Owens' recuperation, but maintains the surgery requires a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks. Myerson said in a statement Tuesday night that any attempt to accelerate the rehabilitation process poses the same risk for injury.

Owens said he plans to be in uniform for the Eagles in Jacksonville, Fla. The Eagles' doctors and training staff should have the final say on Owens' status.

"Spiritually I've been healed and I believe that I'll be out there on that field Sunday, regardless of what anybody says," Owens said Monday night, before going to Baltimore for his weekly checkup with Myerson.

Owens has received permission from Myerson to run on his injured ankle Wednesday, a senior member of the Eagles organization has told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Myerson inserted two screws in Owens' right ankle and a plate on the outside of the ankle three days after he was injured against Dallas on Dec. 19. By not clearing Owens to play, Myerson is absolved of any blame should Owens go against his wishes and then re-injure the ankle.

Owens was told after surgery that he had only an outside chance of returning for the Super Bowl, which was 6½ weeks away at the time. He rehabbed vigorously and insisted he's going to play.

"You can't deny the man the ball," Owens said while sitting courtside at a 76ers game against Miami on Monday.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb and other Eagles have said they don't need Owens to beat the defending champion Patriots, who are 7-point favorites.

"We can win it without T.O. But, if he is there, we can win it with him and we are definitely going to try to win it without him," McNabb said one day after leading the Eagles to a 27-10 victory over Atlanta in the NFC championship game. "I think he will be back. But, if he can't be back, we have to continue this ship home."

The Eagles are 2-0 without Owens in games that matter. They lost the last two regular-season games in which most starters hardly played and others were rested.

While the offense hasn't been dominant, they've scored 27 points in each of the playoff games. Though none of the players will admit it, it's possible Owens' return could be more of a distraction than a benefit, especially if he's not able to play at 100 percent.

"I am getting tired of that question," wideout Greg Lewis said when asked if the Eagles proved they can win without Owens. "We won last week, we won the previous week, it doesn't matter. T.O. is part of the team, but he's not here right now. We're trying to go on and not proving to anyone we can win without T.O. We're trying to win the Super Bowl."

Owens was back on the sideline against the Falcons, only this time he served as head cheerleader, flapping his arms, waving a towel and encouraging the crowd to make more noise. He jogged onto the field and pumped up the crowd during pregame introductions, and jumped around on the bench during the game.

Outleaping defenders and escaping tackles won't be as easy.

In his first season with the Eagles after eight years in San Francisco, Owens led Philadelphia with 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs.

JFK
01-25-2005, 11:30 PM
if he does come back thats amazing, even for a few plays, that was a hell of an injury and he would come back fast.

IceColdBrewski
01-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Wasn't it TO who played with a broken rib and a broken foot a few years ago in the playoffs? I remember thinking he shouldn't even be in the game but he was running around like it was nothing. You gotta hand it to the guy. He may have a big mouth but he backs it up with his play. Dude is a big time competitor.

IceColdBrewski
01-26-2005, 12:40 AM
"I'm not releasing him medically," Mark Myerson said. "He's not medically fit to play. However, he has done extremely well in his recovery and his rehab, and he feels he'll be able to play. That is going to be a team decision that they'll have to decide themselves."

The Baltimore-based surgeon said he informed Owens of the risks involved in playing with two surgical screws in his ankle, but that did not discourage the wide receiver, either.

"He feels he can play and he's going to accelerate his rehab," Myerson said. "He understands the risks. They've been discussed extensively. At this point in time, he wants to take those risks and play."

pooh
01-26-2005, 02:05 AM
The best thing for Owens to do is not to play, period. He'll do more damage out there and also cause more damage to the leg. If Owens was healthy, the Eagles would have a "chance", but that's about it.

IceColdBrewski
01-26-2005, 09:14 AM
The best thing for Owens to do is not to play, period. He'll do more damage out there and also cause more damage to the leg.

Maybe. Maybe not. By all accounts, his recovery has been quick. Judging by the way he was jumping around on the sidelines on Sunday, I tend to believe it. But lets assume the worst and say he'll only be 80%. Owens at 80% is still better than half the receivers in the league. Lets take it a step further and assume he can't cut on it. Even if he only gets out there and runs straight ahead 10 or 15 times for the game, fear of the unknown is going to be enough to make the Pats change their defense around for him.

...If Owens was healthy, the Eagles would have a "chance", but that's about it.

And you also said the Eagles wouldn't beat the Falcons. :rolleyes

samikeyp
01-26-2005, 10:37 AM
On one hand it is the biggest game of his life, on the other hand he could do more damage that could affect his career. If it were me, as long as I could walk, I would play...as long as I wasn't a liability for my team.

ducks
01-26-2005, 10:54 AM
the best thing for the eagles is for him to SIT

moss tried to come back to soon and failed

t.o would take throws away from people that were healthy.,

t.o you think you are above the doctors?

ducks
01-26-2005, 10:58 AM
what is he worried the eagles will not get back to the superbowl next year?

ducks
01-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Quarterback Donovan McNabb and other Eagles have said they don't need Owens to beat the defending champion Patriots, who are 7-point favorites.

that should tick off t.o

samikeyp
01-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Ducks...if it were you and you thought you could play in the biggest game of your life, wouldn't you try?

ducks
01-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I might try but if I was not right I would tell coach and get taken out

especially after seeing what moss did to vikes

mcnabb will throw to him only because he is t.o even if he is not open.

if he can get open that is something else but if not HE NEEDS TO SIT HIS ASS DONE

and if MEDICAL peolple think he should not play then he should not play

we all know what happened to grant hill

samikeyp
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I might try but if I was not right I would tell coach and get taken out

agreed. He needs to be honest with his team.

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 01:12 PM

that should tick off t.o
How should that tick off TO?

McNabb was saying that so that he doesn't tick off the rest of his team.

What would the other players think if Donovan said that they need TO to win?

They would be ticked at his lack of confidence.

Donovan is a great team leader, and he knows what he's talking about.

samikeyp
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I think he was implying that Owens would be offended if the team thought they didn't need him to win the game.

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I think he was implying that Owens would be offended if the team thought they didn't need him to win the game.
But think of it the other way, would you want your QB to doubt the rest of the team because one of the players might not play?

TO isn't even the #1 option on the Eagles.

Westbrook is way more important than TO to this team.

If Westbrook got injured rather than TO, Eagles would be in deep shit.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 02:44 PM
the eagles are in deep shit no matter what loudmouth does.

IceColdBrewski
01-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Eagles trainer says Owens plans to try to play, despite doctor's advice

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
January 26, 2005
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Terrell Owens might try to play in the Super Bowl, ignoring his doctor's orders.

Philadelphia Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said Wednesday that Owens plans to continue rehabbing his injured ankle in an attempt to suit up against the New England Patriots on Feb. 6.

Dr. Mark Myerson, the surgeon who operated on the All-Pro receiver in December, said Tuesday he would not clear Owens to play in the Super Bowl.

``We understand Dr. Myerson's point of view. It's just that our risk-reward is different than his risk-reward,'' Burkholder said. ``He has great risk in clearing Terrell to play and no reward. We think there's some risk and we think there's great reward, so right now we're going to progress with his rehab.''

Owens was at the Eagles' practice facility for rehab work Wednesday, but the team said he wouldn't be made available to reporters.

On Monday, before hearing Myerson's bad news, Owens said: ``Spiritually I've been healed and I believe that I'll be out there on that field Sunday, regardless of what anybody says.''

Myerson inserted two screws in Owens' right ankle and a plate on the outside of the ankle three days after he was injured against Dallas on Dec. 19. By not clearing Owens to play, Myerson should be absolved of any blame if Owens goes against his wishes and winds up re-injuring the ankle.

Owens was told after surgery that he had only an outside chance of returning for the Super Bowl, which was 6 1/2 weeks away at the time. But he rehabbed vigorously, hoping to help Philadelphia win its first NFL championship since 1960.

But after a checkup Tuesday in Baltimore, Myerson said that while he's pleased with Owens' recuperation, the operation requires a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks. Myerson added that any attempt to accelerate the rehabilitation process poses the same risk for injury.

Burkholder said Owens worked out on a treadmill when he returned to Philadelphia on Tuesday.

``We will continue to see whether he can jog and see how he does day in and day out, see if he can change direction,'' Burkholder said Wednesday.

``If he passes all those tests, then we'll start talking about practice time. Right now, the game isn't even in our vision right now. If he has any setbacks in his rehab, then the whole idea of playing in the Super Bowl is probably off.''

In his first season with the Eagles after eight years in San Francisco, Owens led Philadelphia with 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs.

``We can win it without T.O. But, if he is there, we can win it with him and we are definitely going to try to win it without him,'' McNabb said Monday.

``I think he will be back,'' he added. ``But, if he can't be back, we have to continue this ship home.''

IceColdBrewski
01-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Here's something else I found on Philly.com. Apparently it would just mean redoing the surjery. No big deal since the season will be over anyway.

Okereke, who is not involved in Owens' treatment, said the screws in the athlete's ankle - which would normally be removed after about three months - could break if he played football, causing the bones to pull apart and reinjure the ligament.

"If that were to happen, it would mean redoing the surgery," Okereke said. "It wouldn't be the end of the world."

Like millions of Americans, Okereke watched Owens jumping for joy on the sidelines Sunday.

"I wasn't concerned," he said. "It's one thing to jump in place. But it's another thing to run down a football field and turn on a dime."

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 04:07 PM
the eagles are in deep shit no matter what loudmouth does.
go commit suicide

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 04:20 PM
oh no a mortal wound

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 04:22 PM
oh no a mortal wound
Go commit suicide.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 04:27 PM
such big talk for a little piece of dogshit that hasnt touched a girl, let alone fucked one

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 04:31 PM
such big talk for a little piece of dogshit that hasnt touched a girl, let alone fucked one
Touched way more than you ever will in your pathetic life.

violentkitten
01-26-2005, 04:32 PM
relatives dont count

ALVAREZ6
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
relatives dont count
Well in that case, my comment is still valid.

Didn't change anything.