PDA

View Full Version : I Think Tony Parker Will Save Us

Ghost Writer
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I am not a big Parker fan, but no one can question his value to the Spurs or how he can affect a series.

Tony Parker can destroy any of the PGs that the Lakers throw at him.

While we can point to Kobe torching Bowen or Manu's struggles or Duncan dominating Gasol or Phil vs. Pop, I think Parker is the real key.

Last year's Finals MVP has historically had good success versus the Lakers. And he was brilliant this season in the Spurs win against Los Angeles (26 and 9).

When Parker is attacking, the Spurs generally roll. I want to see the pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop, the tear drop, the cutting layups... I want Parker to do his thing.

It just seems that we are overlooking Parker as a player that can step up and dominate this series.

GaryJohnston
05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
I AM a big fan of Parker. Its no secret he needs to be play well in this series and can really get the better of his matchup with Fisher.

But I agree I want to see him attacking, I want to see the pick and roll, etc.

2Cleva
05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Spurs fans may be overlooking him but the Lakers aren't. From the start I've said Parker is the main guy LA has to worry about and Phil has agreed. Duncan gets one-on-one coverage until late. Ginobili is one-on-one and taking away his left. Parker is the focal point of the Lakers D.

Although the Lakers rallied from a 20-point deficit Wednesday, the Spurs' Tony Parker had plenty of success breaking down Jackson's half-court defense with high, extended pick-and-roll plays.

Parker -- usually working from the left side of the court above the three-point line with San Antonio big man Tim Duncan and, at times, Fabricio Oberto -- took advantage of his quickness and superior ballhandling skills to lead to numerous open baskets for San Antonio.

With Duncan setting firm screens outside the arc, Parker's first goal was to penetrate into the lane for open shots against the Lakers' bigger but slower interior defenders....

This became a problem whenever the Lakers' Derek Fisher fought his way over Duncan's screen to defend Parker. No matter how hard Fisher tried, Parker normally was a step in front, which made Gasol's defensive indecisiveness even more of an issue.

That's how the Spurs raced out to a 65-45 lead early in the third quarter with Duncan and Parker combining for the majority of San Antonio's points.

The Spurs' pick-and-roll success helped force Jackson into making the best coaching move of Game 1.

He inserted backup guard Sasha Vujacic and assigned him to defend Manu Ginobili, the Spurs' top three-point threat. Vujacic's quickness enabled the Lakers to gamble more on defense and defend Parker's screen-and-roll play with increased aggressiveness.

This combination defense helped spark the Lakers' comeback.

When Parker tried to use a high screen, he often found his path blocked as the Lakers did a better job of keeping their hands up and moving their feet on defense down the stretch.

Easy plays made by the Spurs suddenly turned into turnovers or forced shots as Vujacic proved to be a difference maker because he helped collapse into the middle on defense and was still able to stay close to Ginobili, who had an off night shooting.

By the middle of the fourth quarter, the Spurs had gone away from their extended pick-and-roll plays with Parker in favor of a dribble-handoff weave offense or post-ups with Duncan.

LA Times Story (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerxo23-2008may23,0,1631668.story)

If Parker can take the Laker guards off the dribble without a pick then he has a major advantage. But thats not what he's comfortable doing as much as the P&R.

Ghost Writer
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Good excerpt, 2Cleva.

Looks like Phil knows what time it is.

I look for Parker to set the tone tonight.

rAm
05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Good excerpt, 2Cleva.

Looks like Phil knows what time it is.

I look for Parker to set the tone tonight.

That will be difficult the way the Lakers have been packing the lane.

rascal
05-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I am a big Parker fan. His speed to the basket for easy layups is special and is key to the success of the team, since the spurs have so few players with the ability to take it to the basket.

LakerLanny
05-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I think Kenny Mauer is going to come up big for you tonight.

PDXSpursFan
05-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Not only can Parker dominate offensively, but his defense on Fisher is key. Historically, Parker defends well against scorers (e.g Iverson). And we already saw some of that on game 1 (Fisher went 1-9)

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Spurs just gotta hit their shots. If they had hit just a couple more shots in the 4th quarter of Game 1, the Spurs would be up 1-0 right now.

2Cleva
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Unless Parker can score one-on-one, he's only going to do well in the 1st and early 3rd when Fisher and Radmanovic is on the floor.

Thats something LA can accept, as long as the D has discouraged him enough to play outside in the 4th.

TampaDude
05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I think Kenny Mauer is going to come up big for you tonight.

Dude...Salvatore is bad news for the Spurs...almost as bad as Joey Crawford...if it's a close game (less than 7 points), we're gonna get fucked by the refs...just wait.

MadDog73
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Lakers left Spurs jumpers open, daring them to make shots, just like in 2004.

Spurs have had 3 years to adjust to that tactic. We'll find out tonight if they did.

pbandjnocrust
05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, they started trapping him late in the game. I expect more of that, but it'll leave room for Ginobli to work....if he shows up.

phxspurfan
05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here. Tony parker seems to step up his play most when matched up with an elite opposing point guard. There is no such player on the Lakers, so who does he have to outplay? I'm pretty sure he doesn't equate 55 year old Derek Fisher or 16 year old Jordan Farmar to Steve Nash or Chris Paul.

If Parker does play like a superstar in this series, it will be due to Coach Pop calling more motion offense and set plays for him. Parker will not have the motivation to tear it up like he had against players who were thought to be better by leaps and bounds.

cherylsteele
05-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Didn't you just start this thread saying we won't win the series?:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96401

brettn
05-23-2008, 12:23 PM
He needs to stay aggressive for 48 minutes. He had a great 1st half and then dissapeared in the 2nd. Part of it has to do with the Lakers defense, but I still felt like he stopped attacking the basket. He needs to stop relying on the his mid range jumper and find ways to get in the lane. He's fully capable against fisher and farmar.

Ghost Writer
05-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Didn't you just start this thread saying we won't win the series?:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96401

Did you read the thread, sweetheart?

Didn't think so.

Ghost Writer
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
One thing I think Tony Parker needs to limit is when he flies out of bounds under the basket and falls to the floor, trying to get the and-one.

Many times, he won't get that call in the playoffs and his man will break down the floor with him complaining on his @ss.

cherylsteele
05-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Did you read the thread, sweetheart?

Didn't think so.
You started that thread with a post saying the Spurs will not win the series, heck you even made it the thread title. Whether or not it is because you feel the refs and the NBA are against them.

DazedAndConfused
05-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Ball movement is what really kills the Laker's defense. Their rotations are average at best, so the more they have to switch and communicate the better for the opposing team. Parker is at his best when he blows by Fisher and forces our D to collapse on him. From there Parker can either take his patented floater shot, try and weave into the paint, or kick it to the perimeter for a wide open 3pt shot. Bruce gets a ton of his points off of plays like this.

The Lakers did a good job stopping this in the 4th by trapping Parker on his high P&R with Duncan. All Parker could do was pass back to Duncan, who was left stranded at the top of the key with either an open jumpshot to take or a pass back to a perimeter player. Duncan froze up several times seemingly not knowing what to do.

gobo
05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I am not a big Parker fan, but no one can question his value to the Spurs or how he can affect a series.

Tony Parker can destroy any of the PGs that the Lakers throw at him.

While we can point to Kobe torching Bowen or Manu's struggles or Duncan dominating Gasol or Phil vs. Pop, I think Parker is the real key.

Last year's Finals MVP has historically had good success versus the Lakers. And he was brilliant this season in the Spurs win against Los Angeles (26 and 9).

When Parker is attacking, the Spurs generally roll. I want to see the pick-and-roll, pick-and-pop, the tear drop, the cutting layups... I want Parker to do his thing.

It just seems that we are overlooking Parker as a player that can step up and dominate this series.

Where was he in last game? Why did not he save you? {Parker has improved his shooting. He is a very impressive penetrator but he has to learn to pass the damn ball to his teammates more often than he does now. I do not know if Pop has given him the green light to be a ball hog or somethingt.

cherylsteele
05-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Ball movement is what really kills the Laker's defense.
Yes, it seemed that way through 3 1/2 qtrs. and then for whatever reason the ball movement slowed, and that is one of the main things that killed the Spurs in game 1.
Better Lakers' "D"
Poor decisions on offense.
Possibly a bit fatigued.

Medvedenko
05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Yup Parker is the key.

ForeignFan
05-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, if Manu (and Fin, Bowen ...) makes a few shots and can penetrate a few times, the Lakers D should not be able to focus too much on Parker

ducks
05-23-2008, 05:18 PM
I am a big Parker fan. His speed to the basket for easy layups is special and is key to the success of the team, since the spurs have so few players with the ability to take it to the basket.

oh my god he likes a spur player