PDA

View Full Version : "We were spent"

T Park
01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Quote from Pop on the radio show.

He said pretty much the team's tank is on empty. Manu asked to come out after 5 minutes into the first quarter.

So, anyone else that wants to rip this team for no heart, no this no that.

They were whooped.

Once again, they are human, theyve played the MOST games of anyone.

The effort was there, but the bodies werent responding.

That simple.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-25-2005, 08:15 PM
yeah, too bad they finally got double digit losses though

TMTTRIO
01-25-2005, 08:15 PM
I thought Manu looked really worn down the other night especially after the huge night against Phoenix. Hopefully they'll all rest for two days and be refreshed for the next game.

sickdsm
01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
He ASKED to come out? You know if Bill Parcels coached that team he'd be riding the pine for the rest of the year. Hudson was riduclued for a week straight after his stint last month

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
What I think is promising out of last night's loss is the idea that, even playing poorly and even with their tanks on empty, the Spurs gave themselves plenty of opportunities to win the game. So many other teams (ala Sacramento on Sunday) would have packed it in after that first quarter and moved on to the next game. The Spurs dug deep and tried to find something that would work, and almost managed to get the game. That mentality (if not the execution) pays off over the long haul.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2005, 08:42 PM
If these guys were major league baseball players this would have never happened. Where are the good folks from Balco when you need them??

FromWayDowntown
01-25-2005, 08:45 PM
He ASKED to come out? You know if Bill Parcels coached that team he'd be riding the pine for the rest of the year. Hudson was riduclued for a week straight after his stint last month

This is a silly point. Pop substitutes for Manu around the 6 minute mark of every first quarter. Last night, Manu asked out after 5 minutes. Rather than questioning his manhood or his integrity, I think we should applaud his commitment to the team. Rather than drag up and down and potentially cost the team, he admitted that he needed a breather. That's part of being on a team. Not unlike Emmitt Smith asking for breathers after long runs (when he used to make long runs).

Besides, it's not as if he asked out of the game for good . . . . and it's not as if Manu has struggled to perform when the Spurs have needed him.

manustarting2gd
01-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Sickdsm, yeah thats what players that actually "try" do sometimes. Unlike Cassell and "I'm Broke" Latrell Spreewell. Dude had a 48 point night and his stats tell you what he does on the reg. Guess your not used to seeing players winded being a fan of the Tpups. Garnett is paddling on a lonely ship these days.

mrblonde17
01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Back-to-backs are hell. In an 80+ game season, there are going to be nights when their bodies don't respond. I always hate losing, but they're going to come. I don't think it was a matter of playing down to Portland's level nearly as much as they were dead. The road games ahead don't look to be too rough. We owe Seattle; Miami will be tough, we get Cleveland after a couple of home games; but other than that this next stretch doesn't offer too much of the NBA's elite.

I'm always reminded of Kareem's cameo in "Airplane." The little kid questions his work ethic. He grabs the kid by the shirt and offers, "The hell I don't! LISTEN KID, I've been hearing that crap since I was UCLA. I"m out there busting my buns every night. You tell your old man Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

sickdsm
01-25-2005, 11:01 PM
No excuse for that. You dropped a 30 point bomb on sac the night before, everyone should be rested enough. this was the 1st quarter????? You guys are a bunch of homers. Maybe if you'd get off his jock long enough you'd question him and the minutes. How the hell does Devin get only 7 in a blowout?

Good thing manu went for 48, i guess that gives a free pass for the rest of the season.

Solid D
01-25-2005, 11:07 PM
This is a silly point. Pop substitutes for Manu around the 6 minute mark of every first quarter. Last night, Manu asked out after 5 minutes. Rather than questioning his manhood or his integrity, I think we should applaud his commitment to the team. Rather than drag up and down and potentially cost the team, he admitted that he needed a breather. That's part of being on a team. Not unlike Emmitt Smith asking for breathers after long runs (when he used to make long runs).

Besides, it's not as if he asked out of the game for good . . . . and it's not as if Manu has struggled to perform when the Spurs have needed him.

You're a good man. You noticed the substitution patterns (and there are very definite ones). Spot on, bro'.

sickdsm
01-25-2005, 11:20 PM
Maybe manu should have realized it was a 3 for 8 kinda night and told Pop he didn't want to go back in. Devin was obviously feeling it and could have played his minutes. I mean if he's spent after 5 how come he was able to play 33?

Classic, Tony parker gets crackback after dropping 20 and 7 for being pussified over his current housewife but manu is applauded for asking to come out.

sickdsm
01-25-2005, 11:22 PM
The comparison to emmitt's long run is rediculous. Manu didn't do much in sacramento either.

Nikos
01-25-2005, 11:31 PM
No one applauded Manu until a Wolves fan had to come out and question him for wanting to come out of the game. Bringing up a Bill Parcels example of all examples.

Honestly who cares that he wanted to come out? The dude has been playing for years straight with minimal breaks in between seasons. Even Duncan mentions how tired he has been lately, and how 40 min games are rare for him. I really don't see your argument here. This is a Spurs board, if some people want to prop up their players then they have every right to without having to hear some Wolve fan spew off about how Manu didn't do much in Sacto because you happen to look at a box score and saw he shot lower than 50%, and assumed he played poorly.

In case you didn't know Tim Duncan is the leader of this team. And any time a player like Parker or Manu doesn't shoot 50%, does not mean that person played poorly. So please, if you are going to criticize other posters critiques or praises, at least watch most of the Spurs games instead of looking at FG% in a box score.

Until then, go post somewhere cause your just filling the forum with non sense.

TheWriter
01-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Wolves really suck... don't they... lol

Hey, while you're making posts in June about Manu asking to sit 5 minutes into a qt, he'll be on a river barge holding up a trophy. While KG is at home practicing his powder clap that he does before every game.

But man, do the Wolves suck... more then your Mom at happy hour in some poorly lit bar.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2005, 12:04 AM
You know, the back to back *would* have some legitimacy, if it weren't for the Sacto game the night before. In that laugher, here's the PT:

Duncan 32
Bowen 32
Parker 30
TMass 30
Ginobili 29
Barry 23
Rose 21
Udrih 18
Marks 13

The most anyone played was 32 minutes, no starters played in the fourth, but they were too tired from the night before?

Sorry, that's weak. Just admit that they didn't give a damn, but to say they were tired is either 1) a serious cop out or 2) we have some conditioning problems on this team.

Kori Ellis
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Pop said that Manu and Tim were "spent". He said that they expended as much energy and effort as they could, but they just didn't have the juice.

T Park
01-26-2005, 12:24 AM
of course that would an "excuse"

what the hell would pop know right, not like hes WITH the players or anything.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Jesus H. Christ Tpark, go get laid. You are the most defensive mofo I have ever seen.

We all know Tim's been hurting/sick lately, I was amazed he had the game he had Phoenix.

I can buy him, and Manu (after Friday) being tired, but the whole team? Especially the rest of the starters?

The whole team just mentally wasn't in to it. We should leave it at that and move on.

T Park
01-26-2005, 12:39 AM
I would think Massenburg would be.

played the most minutes all year.

Horry shouldn't have played period obviously.

The TEAM is tired. 44 games in the amount of time given is alot.

They could be MEntally tired as well, that shouldnt be out of the realm.

emmo
01-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Classic, Tony parker gets crackback after dropping 20 and 7 for being pussified over his current housewife but manu is applauded for asking to come out.

so are you jealous because your team sucks or because you aren't getting any play? either way, you need a hug, man.

Rummpd
01-26-2005, 09:19 AM
I also agree that "spent" is rediculous. These guys sleep in 5 star hotels, travel on a charter etc. It was all mental this game plus Portland for their credit did not choke this one away per their usual fashion instead got hot.

The Spurs starters played very minutes vs. Sac town.

This was a bad loss period that despite some valient efforts to keep in it was really lost by an abysmal start to the game. Plus Pop rested many of the starters for long stretches while Brown, Barry, Beno and Rose played.

Manu gets a pass just because he is always so competetive and he was back in there trying to pull it out. But again, this loss simply stank - despite the Spurs actually having a chance due to hitting their FTs most of the game for once on the road. Bowen especially, played very bad as did Tim in the first 15 minutes of the game.

MadDoc

Phenomanul
01-26-2005, 09:22 AM
The comparison to emmitt's long run is rediculous. Manu didn't do much in sacramento either.

Manu did what he had to for the team to succeed... simple as that. BTW thanks to BSPN you didn't get the full story of what happened at Arco... Manu was the human highlight film.

Oh and before you question anybody's work ethic don't forget to criticize your own first....

---KG copped out of Olympics....

---Cassell and Spreewell nearly held out... but seem to be 'holding' out anyways (their demeanor on the court and overall lack of passion tell the story).

ducks
01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
was marks spent is that why he did not play but one mminute

CHAMPS AGAIN
01-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Trying to compare Parcell to POP and girly Hudson I want to be traded to,
MANU is just wrong.Need to come out after 5minutes is alot better than I need a new contract I have to feed my family 14 million is not enough I can not take them to Chucky Cheese. Tpups win 3 games in a row they come back to this forum start bitching about the SPURS, where were you when the Tpups lost 4 or 5 in a row. GET OUT NOW!

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Oh the drama!!! That game came down to these basic things.

The Spurs played slightly below average defense.

The Spurs shot slightly below average on offense.

The Blazers shot very well from the floor.

The Blazers played better than avereage defense.

The Spurs had injured players. (Also remember Manu's ankle tweek @ Suns)

The Blazers had a bunch of bench players who camed to play. They have two injured starters, but the their replacements have been really trying to battle for minutes. They were hungry.

I don't think Manu was complaining about starting or money, both of which are the norm in Wolves land.

BigVee
01-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Popovich is known to be honest about his team. No sugar coat. So why dispute what he is saying. Teams get tired, physically and mentally. Sometimes it hits you two or three days later. They were still riding high in Sacto after the Pho game and came down in Portland. How many 82 game seasons have some of you experts played? Another thing, Pop demands maximum effort at all times....not like some other teams.

Phenomanul
01-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Another thing, Pop demands maximum effort at all times....not like some other teams.

Which is also why he opted not to play starter minutes for his bench.... something like that would give the Blazers something 'motivating' to think about if we ever faced them in the playoffs. I mean what team wouldn't feel disrespected if the other team came in to your house and played mainly with their subs.

TMTTRIO
01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not surprised Manu is tired though. He recently came back from having some thigh injuries but still played really hard, tweaked an ankle during the Phoenix game, and having a huge game against Phoenix (which made me tired just watching it).

T Park
01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
what do five star hotels and charter planes have to do with being tired.

So they get to sleep in fancy planes and beds that means they shouldn't get tired/??

Pathetic.

FromWayDowntown
01-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Maybe manu should have realized it was a 3 for 8 kinda night and told Pop he didn't want to go back in. Devin was obviously feeling it and could have played his minutes. I mean if he's spent after 5 how come he was able to play 33?

You're the one who started the questions about Manu. Like I say, Manu asked out at 5 minutes, but he's substituted for EVERY NIGHT at the 6 minute mark. What's the big deal, other than a T'Wolves fan digging for some shred of hope that the Spurs might have some exploitable weakness.

Manu plays in short bursts and has all year. Pop rarely lets him go more than 6 consecutive minutes, because it best assures that Manu will best be able to contribute in the many ways that he does. He plays 6, rests for 3 or 4, plays for 6 more, rests, plays for 6 more, and so forth. You might see that as a weakness, but I've got his numbers and the Spurs record, which both tell me that it's worked pretty damned well for the Spurs so far.

Keep digging.

Useruser666
01-26-2005, 02:30 PM
what do five star hotels and charter planes have to do with being tired.

So they get to sleep in fancy planes and beds that means they shouldn't get tired/??

Pathetic.

Oh shit T Park I agree with you! [/OMG]

Extra Stout
01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
If this team gets so spent on a three-game trip that they can't be bothered to show up against a decimated Portland squad, get ready for a big-ass losing streak during the rodeo.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-26-2005, 02:40 PM

Now that is dumbass thing to say! I don't think you're taking into account the fact that Manu played all through the summer in the olympics, while the rest of the team (except Tim ofcourse) was having a holiday. You try and play all year, get no holday rest, then play like 40 games out of 42, have a 48 point night returning from an injury, and then be expected to play just as if you are at your best the very next day and the one after that. i'm sory, but nobody is applauding the fact he asked to come out, we're applauding the fact that he lasted this long.

GoSpurs21
01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
You know, the back to back *would* have some legitimacy, if it weren't for the Sacto game the night before. In that laugher, here's the PT:

Duncan 32
Bowen 32
Parker 30
TMass 30
Ginobili 29
Barry 23
Rose 21
Udrih 18
Marks 13

The most anyone played was 32 minutes, no starters played in the fourth, but they were too tired from the night before?

Sorry, that's weak. Just admit that they didn't give a damn, but to say they were tired is either 1) a serious cop out or 2) we have some conditioning problems on this team.7 games in 11 days take a toll, but I guess you could probably do it.

FromWayDowntown
01-26-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't think Popovich's concern has anything to do with physical conditioning, though I don't doubt that some of these players are physically tired.

The season is a grind, and that takes both a physical and mental toll. Some of you seem to believe that the Spurs should be able to swipe the mental slate clean each night and begin anew with their efforts to win games, leaving only physical ability as a hurdle. It doesn't work that way. Very few of us would be mentally ignited to perform a task that appears to be rather simple after accomplishing two significantly difficult tasks immediately before. Even if you could take a little bit of downtime to try to recover physically from tasks 1 and 2, there is still going to be a mental let down in trying to accomplish 3. NBA teams fall prey to that, too. And when you are the hunted (as the Spurs are now) and you get every team's best shot (as the Spurs seem to now), even a slight dip in focus can result in an occasional loss. I mean, it's not like the Blazers can't play . . . .

T Park
01-26-2005, 07:24 PM
If this team gets so spent on a three-game trip that they can't be bothered to show up against a decimated Portland squad, get ready for a big-ass losing streak during the rodeo

of course 7 games in 11 days means nothing right???

But youve done it before of course.....

sickdsm
01-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Look at all the tools that act like i hide when the wolves are doing bad, i've been here nonstop since the day i joined. Get a clue.

Mom comments

Check

Your team comments

Check

Can you do it comments

Check

How many of you have dunked in a NBA game? Blocked a shot? Started? You know what, close the forum down because there's probably only one or two here that have. STFU with that weak take.

If you can bring the "TD will be at the river parade while kg hasn't" take i'm sure as hell going to bring up the Jermaine O'neal, AI, and Timmy should look forward to being tired after the olympics everytime because it really is hard on your respitory system when you choke a tradition away.

The golden rule is don't ask to come out. But i did my point anyway, there is people on here questioning it now.

FWIW:, why won't someone comment on the tony parker/manu comment? Did it hit home too much?

Nikos
01-27-2005, 10:39 AM
I commented on it. Your comment was pathetic, especially considering the fact you probably don't watch as near as many Spurs games, and seemingly judge players by whether they shot over 50% in a box score.

What 'hit home' is how horrible your posts are.

Useruser666
01-27-2005, 10:50 AM
What does having dunked in an NBA game have to do with posting on this forum?

Phenomanul
01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
If you can bring the "TD will be at the river parade while kg hasn't" take i'm sure as hell going to bring up the Jermaine O'neal, AI, and Timmy should look forward to being tired after the olympics everytime because it really is hard on your respitory system when you choke a tradition away.

The golden rule is don't ask to come out. But i did my point anyway, there is people on here questioning it now.

You still don't convince me that KG didn't cop out of the olympics... too scared.... If we didn't get the gold maybe you should be pointing the finger at players such as KG, Shaq and T-Mac.... At least our player went... Also realize that he couldn't impact the games near as much with international refs taking him out of almost every game....

T Park
01-27-2005, 01:44 PM
TD will be at the river parade while kg hasn't" take i'm sure as hell going to bring up the Jermaine O'neal, AI, and Timmy should look forward to being tired after the olympics

I agree, Duncan should put the team that pays him, and his proffession first, before something that everyone knows is slanted against the US going in.

Jermaine O'Neal would be plenty rested since he wouldve gotten to rest about 15 20 games this year.