PDA

View Full Version : Why pop likes Oberto?

pwrusr21
05-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I'll say it upfront, I don't care who wins the Lakers/Spurs. I was actually cheering against the Spurs against the Hornets, and cheering for them during the Suns series.

But why does Oberto get soo much burn? Even against the Hornets, he was basically useless. He can't shoot, and his defense is basically fouling. He has brought nothing to the lakers series, and was horrible tonight. I understand why Kurt is not getting any burn because of bad matchups, but why not Bonner. From watching him play with the Raptors, his outside J is killer. He can't hit the 3 with consistency, but one foot in, and he is very good shooter. In addition he hustles and will get you the odd offensive rebound.

So why not dress him, sit Damon, and have him play instead of Oberto. Horry is basically useless out there as well as he can only manage 1 three every other game.

Am missing something about Bonner?

ballhog
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Oberto can't jump, shoot or defend. He can set picks. Don't know what they see in him. He's makes every bunny shot an adventure.

themvp
05-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Oberto is finished.

His layups makes me sick as well as he's rebounding.

TDfan2007
05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
One of the worst starters in the NBA...I honestly don't understand this guy at all.

The worst part is that we don't have a better option, KT and Horry are both playing disgusting basketball right now.

peskypesky
05-23-2008, 11:13 PM
I'll say it upfront, I don't care who wins the Lakers/Spurs. I was actually cheering against the Spurs against the Hornets, and cheering for them during the Suns series.

But why does Oberto get soo much burn? Even against the Hornets, he was basically useless. He can't shoot, and his defense is basically fouling. He has brought nothing to the lakers series, and was horrible tonight. I understand why Kurt is not getting any burn because of bad matchups, but why not Bonner. From watching him play with the Raptors, his outside J is killer. He can't hit the 3 with consistency, but one foot in, and he is very good shooter. In addition he hustles and will get you the odd offensive rebound.

So why not dress him, sit Damon, and have him play instead of Oberto. Horry is basically useless out there as well as he can only manage 1 three every other game.

I agree with you. I think Bonner could help us out a lot. He couldn't possibly be worse than Horry.

E20
Oboito stunk it up pretty badly out there tonight.

rascal

Bonner sucks thats why he never plays.

They all suck for that matter. Horry is finished, Bonner stinks, Thomas is too slow for certain matchups, Barry has never got back into shape after his injury to be effective, Oberto is nothing more than a fill in role player who doesn't do anything very well.

samikeyp
05-23-2008, 11:14 PM

Good question. Apparently "Fabricio Oberto" means "piece of crap" in Spanish.

Let him go back to Europe.

Sway
05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree...Oberto sucks! I've always wondered what Pop sees in him.

Bruno
05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Spurs bigs outside of Duncan sucks bad. Oberto is maybe the less worst of them. FYI, Horry FG% is 22% in these playoffs.

Thanks to Pop for having put Bonner in the doghouse. :bang
Thanks to Pop for having put Mahinmi in the doghouse. :bang
Thanks to Spurs' FO for having given up a first round pick for Kurt Thomas. :bang

bdictjames
05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Spurs bigs outside of Duncan sucks bad. Oberto is maybe the less worst of them. FYI, Horry FG% is 22% in these playoffs.

Thanks to Spurs' FO for having given up a first round pick for Kurt Thomas. :bang
Without Kurt, I wonder where the Spurs would be now, probably caught a 100 fishies by now.

mikekim
05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Oberto DOES NOT suck. If you honestly believe he does, you're a dumbass.

Pop should keep playing him, and he will. I do agree Bonner should be given a chance when the opportunity presents itself...like when Horry is hitting all backboard on his shots. (Or maybe even when we're down 20 in the 4th?)

Pop's made some bad choices (like playing Jacque Vaughn...and coaching with a scared mentality in game 1), playing Oberto isn't one of them...

Did you guys not watch the last series?

samikeyp
05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Oberto DOES NOT suck. If you honestly believe he does, you're a dumbass.

Pop should keep playing him, and he will. I do agree Bonner should be given a chance when the opportunity presents itself...like when Horry is hitting all backboard on his shots. (Or maybe even when we're down 20 in the 4th?)

Pop's made some bad choices (like playing Jacque Vaughn...and coaching with a scared mentality in game 1), playing Oberto isn't one of them...

Did you guys not watch the last series?

Why because YOU say so?

Oberto has awful the majority of the postseason with only occasional flashes of good. Half the time he either gets his shot blocked or he misses a 2foot layup and he is afraid to take it strong to the basket.

lefty
05-23-2008, 11:38 PM
" I'll do whatever it takes to lose "

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1185/popolakersqo5.jpg

Spurs da champs
05-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Thats why we need Tiago Splitter,Oberto is horrible seriously he doesn't even try to rebound all he does is swat the ball.

kuato
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Wow, a lot of people that doesnt know a shit about team basketball in here.

Texas_Ranger
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Oberto really sucks. I hope Thomas will play more next game.

And some of you said that Fab is better than Rasho... :lol at that.

and also some of you said that Elson is better than Nazr... So :lol X2.

ballhog
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Wow, a lot of people that doesnt know a shit about team basketball in here.

He's a starter. He has hands of stone and no touch. Can't make a layup.

wireonfire
05-24-2008, 12:38 AM
Now Scola's 14/9 in the playoffs looks so good. :lol

T Park
05-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Without Kurt Thomas they don't get out of the first fucking round.

Bonner stinks

Mahinmi was never ready for this year.

Get over it.

Matchman
05-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Whos better Chuck Hayes or Oberto?
Seriously stop complaining you cannot have all-stars starting at every position. just appreciate that you have one of the greatest PF of all time.

bigdog
05-24-2008, 01:17 AM
I've always hated Oberto, but I think our problem is with the entire Spurs frontcourt, outside of Duncan. They let Rasho leave, and now he's playing good ball with Toronto, they let go of Elson, who at least contributed SOMETHING to this team that we currently don't have in the frontcourt----athleticism. Nazr played some pretty good ball with Charlotte this year after being in the Detroit doghouse. We had some good players here before but failed to realize that they could actually play, and now we're left with aging stiffs that can't do anything. The only guy I have faith in is Kurt Thomas, because at least he plays hard and can make a shot on a somewhat consistent basis. Horry is done after this year, Bonner should be given a chance, I guess. I mean, they did give him a new contract, so he can take Horry's place.

Mahinmi should be ready for next year. He's bulked up and seems to understand the game more after being in Austin with the Toros.

FUCK Splitter. I've never seen anything in him that would be attractive to an NBA team. I think the dude will be worthless, and a waste of money and time.

We need some new bigs, besides Duncan, that can at least be decent contributors to the team. Most of our guys are just good for fouling and that's about it.

SouthTexasRancher
05-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Bonner sucks thats why he never plays.

They all suck for that matter. Horry is finished, Bonner stinks, Thomas is too slow for certain matchups, Barry has never got back into shape after his injury to be effective, Oberto is nothing more than a fill in role player who doesn't do anything very well.

Aaaaaaamen!!! And you can add Big Time Loser Finley, Vaughn, and Stoudamire to the list. Pop and RC have no choice but, to do some major rebuilding this coming season. We may miss the playoffs next season but, with the guys we already know we'll be bringing in and a piece here and a part there we'll be back! Damn, I wish we could have kept the rights to Scola for frontline help. He hustles his ass off. He can score and rebound...something which Oberto can't do.

NewJerSpur
05-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Oberto is out their to help make the offense run smoother overall. He's the best passing big man on the team next to Tim and moves very well without the ball which puts him in position for high percentage shots where most guys would just stand around and watch the action. The problem is he doesn't finish strong at the rim like a big man should which leaves to many of his shots/layups to chance.

Thomas on the other hand is more touted for his defense and defensive rebounding. Both have performed pretty admirably under the circumstances of basically having an EXTREMELY short bench which has only gotten shorter with each round.