PDA

View Full Version : Key to Victory: Deny the Three Point Line

J.T.
05-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Going through some stats of this series and the two previous ones, I noticed something interesting. Prior to Game 2 of this series, the Spurs won every game in which they hold the opponent under 40% from 3-point land. Tonight's game is somewhat of an anomaly because the Spurs conceded the game early in the fourth quarter, and LA played the rest of the game like it was the All-Star Game, throwing up lobs and chucking threes. When the game was close, the Spurs were defending the three point line extremely well. At the 37-all tie, the Lakers were 1-6 from the arc. LA finished the night at 5-19 on 27% shooting.

Against the Suns, in the four wins, the Spurs held the Suns to 5-16, 4-13, 2-6, and 5-19 for an average of 29%. In the one loss to Phoenix, the Suns shot 9-20 at 45%.

The three pointer numbers against the Hornets are even more staggering. In the three losses to New Orleans, the Spurs allowed totals of 4-10, 10-17 and 8-15 for an average of roughly 50%. In the four victories, they held the Hornets to 2-11, 5-15, 2-9 and 4-17 for an average of 24%.

In Game 1 against the Lakers, they allowed 4-10 on three point shots for 40%. Two of those came in the Lakers third quarter run that cut the lead to seven before the fourth quarter. The other two were in the first quarter, but Bryant and Vujacic hit three pointers on almost back to back possessions in the third quarter and that undoubtedly was gave the Lakers quick, easy points that enabled them to go on that run to win the game.

There are a number of things the Spurs need to do to get back in this series, but on defense, history proves that in this playoffs, the Spurs are 8-1 when holding the opposition under 40% from the arc.

J.T.
05-23-2008, 11:59 PM
You should put Bowen on Sasha, since it worked when you moved him to Peja in the last series.

I'm actually not opposed to throwing different defensive looks at Kobe. I'd like to see Pop leave Udoka on him for a stretch at home and move Bowen to whoever else is on a hot streak. I can live with Kobe scoring under 30 points per game in this series, I can't live with Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar looking like Hall of Famers...they're not, and that will be proven in San Antonio.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-24-2008, 12:02 AM
I expect some series adjustments along those lines you guys are talking about. Its just not good for those rookies to look like the reincarnation of jordan. They are running wild and free and a little bit of going back to reality would help tremendously. They are right now wild fandangos loose at Staples center.

JamStone
05-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Going through some stats of this series and the two previous ones, I noticed something interesting. Prior to Game 2 of this series, the Spurs won every game in which they hold the opponent under 40% from 3-point land. Tonight's game is somewhat of an anomaly because the Spurs conceded the game early in the fourth quarter, and LA played the rest of the game like it was the All-Star Game, throwing up lobs and chucking threes. When the game was close, the Spurs were defending the three point line extremely well. At the 37-all tie, the Lakers were 1-6 from the arc. LA finished the night at 5-19 on 27% shooting.

If tonight was an anomaly, why bring up this point?

Even with that 1-6 start, 4-13 is still holding them to 31% from three point range.

J.T.
05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
If tonight was an anomaly, why bring up this point?

Even with that 1-6 start, 4-13 is still holding them to 31% from three point range.

I don't get what you're saying here. Tonight's game was an anomaly; every other time they held their opponent to under 40%, they've won.

leemajors
05-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I don't get what you're saying here. Tonight's game was an anomaly; every other time they held their opponent to under 40%, they've won.

where the fuck's your logic?

J.T.
05-24-2008, 12:14 AM
where the fuck's your logic?

I don't know why my logic needs to be questioned when the Spurs are 8-1 when they hold the opponent under 40% on three point shooting. What the fuck else is there to understand about it?

leemajors
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
the Spurs won every game in which they hold the opponent under 40% from 3-point land.

except they didn't. Don't get mad because JamStone dispatched you so easily.

DazedAndConfused
05-24-2008, 12:22 AM
The Lakers aren't the Hornets or the Suns. They don't depend on the 3pt line at all to win games. The 3pt line is icing on the cake.

The bread and butter comes from points in the paint.

J.T.
05-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Game 3 Lakers' three point shooting:

6-17, 35%

Spurs are 9-1 in this playoffs when holding opponents under 40% from the arc.