PDA

View Full Version : Time To Make History

timvp
05-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Heart? Heart? You think your team has heart?

Back when I was still a youngin', I watched a basketball team that showed me exactly what heart is. That team just didn't die. Underdogs in the first round? Didn't matter. Down 0-2 in the second round? Piece of cake. Down 0-2 in the conference Finals? Survived that. Then went out on the road and took home a championship. Nobody thought it was possible but that team wouldn't die.

You don't know what heart is. The 2008 San Antonio Spurs had heart.

bdictjames
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Right on timvp. I still believe we'll take games 3 and 4 and put pressure back to them. If Pop just makes the right adjustments and pushes the right buttons as he did in game 3 of the Spurs-Hornets.

J.T.
+1

21_Blessings
Heart? Maybe they should have used that heart the last two games where they quit instead.

Erasing a 20 point lead with 5 minutes left in the third to go on and win is fucking heart. Take notes.

Princess Pimp

Back when I was still a youngin', I watched a basketball team that showed me exactly what heart is. That team just didn't die. Underdogs in the first round? Didn't matter. Down 0-2 in the second round? Piece of cake. Down 0-2 in the conference Finals? Survived that. Then went out on the road and took home a championship. Nobody thought it was possible but that team wouldn't die.

:nope nope they don't have heart

TD=old&busted
05-23-2008, 11:44 PM
heart? a team with heart does not drop a 20 point led on the road late in the second half :lol:

pooh
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Keyword..."had" so far it's had a double bypass...I dont know if it can handle another one. Eventually it's going to bite them on the ass, and right now it appears that is about to happen.

LA24
Game 5 is going to be the game.

peskypesky

lol
:toast

samikeyp
05-23-2008, 11:46 PM

+1

Spurminator
05-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Eventually Pooh is going to stop making predictions.

Budkin
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Fuck yeah timvp that's what I'm sayin! You can't count out the world champs baby!

Ronaldo McDonald
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM

Thanks, timvp.

I will NEVER give up on a team headed by Manu, Tim, Tony, Bowen, and Pop.

GO SPURS SO

:flag:

IllegalAmigo
05-23-2008, 11:48 PM

This post would be great with some of that Rocky music playing in the background.

LakeShow

Then you WOKE UP! :lmao

ballhog
Heart? Maybe they should have used that heart the last two games where they quit instead.

Erasing a 20 point lead with 5 minutes left in the third to go on and win is fucking heart. Take notes.
You're talking one game.....we're talking the whole series. You're just a weasel at a keyboard. Nobody cares what you think. Don't confuse luck with heart.

baseline bum
05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I hope so.... but blowing those three games in New Orleans has really caught up to this team.

MARTINnba
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
7º game in NO, sleep in the plane, 5 days, 3 games, injuries...

florige
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Then you WOKE UP! :lmao

Oh you guys are going to be so hurt if you lose this series! You held serve at home is all.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2008, 11:52 PM
God i want to believe it but i just don't feel it this time. Manu is hurt bad that is clear. We got Tim doing what he can, Tony has been OK and Manu can't make anyone pay on Offense. We flat out can't win this series if he does not get better and i mean fast. Kobe and his almighty Jordan like bullshit is not nearly as effective on us if Manu is playing like Manu. With him like this, we look like the vastly inferior team.

TD=old&busted
05-23-2008, 11:52 PM
7º game in NO, sleep in the plane, 5 days, 3 games, injuries...

like to Bynum, Ariza, or Kobe's shooting hand? :downspin:

Bruno
05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Spurs have a lot of heart.
Ryan Bowen has also a lot of heart, does he means that he is the best player in the world ?

Sometimes, having heart isn't just enough.

dbreiden83080
05-23-2008, 11:55 PM

Nice screen name you dick-head troll, god i hate these clowns.

TD=old&busted
05-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Nice screen name you dick-head troll, god i hate these clowns.

thank you I thought of it myself :downspin:

MARTINnba
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM

what happens with Kobe? I m talking about basketball, not charges of sexual abuse

SpurOutofTownFan
05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Good post - history was made in the past series and it will be made in this one as well.

JamStone
05-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Heart? I think the Spurs would settle for health, rest, and their jump shots to start falling before they start thinking about whether they have enough heart.

florige
05-24-2008, 12:01 AM
I think I will resort back to my NO's habit and only check the scores on ESPN. I did that with game 3,4 and 7 against NO and we won. I will start that same regime Sunday.

MarceloM!
05-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Good words, timvp.

21_Blessings
05-24-2008, 12:03 AM
You're talking one game.....we're talking the whole series. You're just a weasel at a keyboard. Nobody cares what you think. Don't confuse luck with heart.

The whole series so far has been two games. Two games where the Spurs QUIT. Dumbass.

Oh, the Lakers got lucky in game 1, how rich. Nothing to do with having the the BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD, the MVP on their team. Not to mention the greatest coach that ever lived.

Shut the fuck up and enjoy watching your team rebuild.

Doctor J
05-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I do agree, timvp.

I am a bit concerned about manu's health.

I think he should have rested not playing tonight's game.

IronMexican
05-24-2008, 12:05 AM

I agree, i think the Lakers will steal one in SA. then 3-1 will SA win it and push one more in SA, or will LA close it out, but SA could obviously win both in SA.

Doctor J
05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
I think I will resort back to my NO's habit and only check the scores on ESPN. I did that with game 3,4 and 7 against NO and we won. I will start that same regime Sunday.

I think that is a very wise and brilliant idea.:toast

Go! Spurs Go! V5!!!!!

midgetonadonkey
05-24-2008, 12:09 AM
This team plays better when they have all the pressure on them. Hopefully Manu can come back and have a monster game and show that he is the true MVP.

Russ
05-24-2008, 12:09 AM
In '04, the Lakers were the old team without HCA against the #1 seed Spurs. The Spurs ran circles around the old Lakers in Games 1 and 2. The Lakers were even bickering and taking shots at each other.

Then they won four straight.

It's certainly possible.

mikekim
05-24-2008, 12:16 AM

Well said. Thank you for that...It's time to build on that Rudy-T quote. Make it relevant again.

"Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

I'm not sure if I would've picked this route to the 5th if it was up to me. But man...taking that quote and making it completely and unequivocally OURS will be pretty damn sweet.

SRJ
05-24-2008, 12:20 AM
In '04, the Lakers were the old team without HCA against the #1 seed Spurs. The Spurs ran circles around the old Lakers in Games 1 and 2. The Lakers were even bickering and taking shots at each other.

Then they won four straight.

Dex
05-24-2008, 12:21 AM
:lol

Thanks, LJ. I think even my fan-ego needed that.

Believin' ain't easy.

:flag:

I said, I said, I said Fuck the Hornets, and now I says Fuck the Lakers. 2008 ain't over yet.

mVp
05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
I think we’re running out of miracles... seriously, this drive for 5 is getting more and more complicated, and we're still on the road, but do the Spurs really have anything left in the tank? I mean, game 1 of the PHX series had loss written all over it, it took some miraculous shots to win it, then the Hornets series couldn’t be tougher, Spurs came back from a 0-2 deficit to win a 7-game series on the road, for the first time in the Duncan era, and now we have to go through that again... how? Do we really have any miracle left? :depressed

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:33 AM
I think we’re running out of miracles... seriously, this drive for 5 is getting more and more complicated, and we're still on the road, but do the Spurs really have anything left in the tank? I mean, game 1 of the PHX series had loss written all over it, it took some miraculous shots to win it, then the Hornets series couldn’t be tougher, Spurs came back from a 0-2 deficit to win a 7-game series on the road, for the first time in the Duncan era, and now we have to go through that again... how? Do we really have any miracle left? :depressed

it seems the only miracles in the past were Horry playing dirty... (you guys would have lost to Phoenix last year otherwise)

Whisky Dog
05-24-2008, 12:37 AM
This is definitely good drama. I'm interested to see what happens, but win or lose this has truly been one of the great dynasties in sports history. Not over yet, still a chance to retool with the big 3 functioning in prime.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
This is definitely good drama. I'm interested to see what happens, but win or lose this has truly been one of the great dynasties in sports history. Not over yet, still a chance to retool with the big 3 functioning in prime.

no back to back = no dynasty (name one other dynasty without back to back championships) :downspin:

mVp
05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
no back to back = no dynasty (name one other dynasty without back to back championships) :downspin:

STFU already.

Whisky Dog
05-24-2008, 12:47 AM

Call it whatever you want. I don't give a shit. To me its been a great ride and It's not over. I know it's a dynasty.

duncan228
05-24-2008, 12:47 AM
(name one other dynasty without back to back championships)

Larry Bird's Celtics.

Brutalis
05-24-2008, 12:49 AM

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Larry Bird's Celtics.

they only won three champs and no back to back = no dynasty. show me one reference to this Celtics squad as a dynasty.

The Spurs in 99 deserve an asterisk, half season = half championship
last year the Suns deserved it more obviously

the Spurs are not a dynasty, they did not dominate like the Lakers of the early 2000s year and year out :downspin:

Brutalis
05-24-2008, 12:55 AM
they only won three champs and no back to back = no dynasty. show me one reference to this Celtics squad as a dynasty.

The Spurs in 99 deserve an asterisk, half season = half championship
last year the Suns deserved it more obviously

the Spurs are not a dynasty, they did not dominate like the Lakers of the early 2000s year and year out :downspin:

So if the Lakers had won in 99 would there be an asterisk?

It was a full playoffs correct?

Anyways, bad luck and death loom upon you sir. A do a bit you a farewell.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 12:55 AM
"In sports, the term dynasty is often used to refer to a team that dominates their sport for a period of time. Such dominance is usually recognized only after a team has won many consecutive championships in a given time. The exact requirements for the label is a frequent topic of debate among sports fans."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_(sports)

SRJ
05-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Wikipedia!

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
The Spurs are a dynasty? Of what?

SRJ
05-24-2008, 12:58 AM
The Spurs are a dynasty? Of what?

Find me a more dominant team in the post-Jordan era.

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 12:59 AM
The Lakers...next.

Seek a clue.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Find me a more dominant team in the post-Jordan era.

2000-2003 Lakers :downspin:

3 CONSECUTIVE championships. not one every few years or so :downspin:

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:00 AM
4>3.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:01 AM
4>3.

14 > 3.5 :downspin:

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 01:02 AM
4>3.

You mean you guys actually count the 1999 title? ROFL!!!!!

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:03 AM
14 > 3.5

1) 4 > 3

2) You guys have won 14 championships in the 10 seasons since Jordan left Chicago? That's awesome! :tu

LakerLanny
05-24-2008, 01:05 AM
If any of you really believed, you would bet me on the series.

Deb said she would bet, she never confirmed but seems up for losing $25

Who else REALLY believes?

My guess is none of you. Your team isn't coming back in this series, this ain't the Hornets.

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:06 AM
this ain't the Hornets.

You're right. The Hornets are better.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:06 AM
1) 4 > 3

2) You guys have won 14 championships in the 10 seasons since Jordan left Chicago? That's awesome! :tu

3.5 over ten years isnt dominant let alone a dynasty :lol

The Lakers would have beat the Spurs in 99 if they played a full season

crc21209
05-24-2008, 01:07 AM
You mean you guys actually count the 1999 title? ROFL!!!!!

This comment pisses me off more than anything, because guess what? It's still a championship fucker! Even though there wasnt a "regular" regular season guess what...There was still the same amount and length of Playoff games! The Season that matters...So stfu. If the Lakers would've won in 99' you wouldnt be bitching about it right? If any other team won it that year nobody would be bitching right? But nooo since its the Spurs...it didnt count blah blah blah...whatever.

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 01:08 AM
You're right. The Hornets are better.

Than the Spurs. Yeah they are. So are the Jazz.

SRJ

So that's why they lost 4-0 to the Spurs that year...they were upset about missing out on 32 regular season games. :tu

4>3.

TD=old&busted
This comment pisses me off more than anything, because guess what? It's still a championship fucker! Even though there wasnt a regular season guess what...There was still the same amount and length of Playoff games! The Season that matters...So stfu.

this post season shows how important home court is. home court was based on a half season. with a full season Kobe and Shaq would have gelled like they did the very next season and would have beat the spurs in 99 :downspin:

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:10 AM
this post season shows how important home court is. home court was based on a half season. with a full season Kobe and Shaq would have gelled like they did the very next season and would have beat the spurs in 99

4>3.

crc21209
05-24-2008, 01:11 AM
this post season shows how important home court is. home court was based on a half season. with a full season Kobe and Shaq would have gelled like they did the very next season and would have beat the spurs in 99

Lol like I said once before....if the Lakers would have beaten the Spurs and won the championship you wouldnt be bitching....A championship is a championship.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:11 AM
4>3.

2-0 :downspin:

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Lol like I said once before....if the Lakers would have beaten the Spurs and won the championship you wouldnt be bitching....A championship is a championship.

baseball didnt give out a championship in it's strike year :downspin:

Lakers Dynasty
05-24-2008, 01:13 AM
You know, in tonight's game, there was an eerie parallel where with 5 minutes left in the third quarter, the Lakers were up 18. By the time it was around a minute and a half remaining, the Spurs had whittled it down to 13, and had possession. They could have dropped it to 10, and regained momentum.

Heart of a champion moment.

But instead, they had a coronary.

We are witnessing the title returning to the true Dynasty.

Slippy
05-24-2008, 01:14 AM

Sorry to burst the bubble.

Spurs got heart but it can only carry you so much. Now that im older i sure do understand what rest can do for you and what tired legs forces you to do when you're balling . I lose the aggression , stop driving and take the easy route of shooting jumpshots. When your legs feel dead, those jumpshots look ugly doesn't matter how open they are . Same effect on defense.

In any case i still like their chances of evening this series.

SRJ
baseball didnt give out a championship in it's strike year

1) The season stopped. No playoffs were played.
2) 1999 was not a "strike year", it was a "lockout year"
3) 2-0? Takes four to advance. Which reminds me...

4>3.

dualmax
Spurs will prevail. Lakers fan is full of shit. Phill Jackson is a quiter , remember few years ago when he realizes his team not going to make it then he simply quit. Now he is the shit because somehow they made a most non sense trade in the history of NBA, i will not respect that Zen master no matter how many more trophy he will win in the future ( probably none). Kobe was crying and want to be traded before the season started, he made a biggest highlight about his unhappiness with the team beside his "rape" case. BTW, remember how the Lakers fans were booing him at the beginning of the season, now they embrace him like a god. What a fucking joke.
Spurs fans, we will make history, then we stuff that fifth trophy into David Stern's ass without KY.:lobt:

crc21209
05-24-2008, 01:15 AM
Lol this isnt baseball jackass...what an idiot....But ohhh no the Lakers omg omg omg omg they won the championship in 1999! Thats what youd be saying now if they won it then...youd be sucking them off about how great a 4-peat it was and shit...Just remember this....Kobe hasnt won jack since Shaq left town, and its not gonna change. Since Shaq left town....Spurs- 2 Championships. Lakers- 0. Since 1999...Spurs-4 Championships. Lakers-3.

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:15 AM
We are witnessing the title returning to the true Dynasty.

You think the Celtics are winning it, then?

16-3>>>>>>>>>>>14-14

and

4>3.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:18 AM
14 championships + 1 this year > 3.5 (should really be 2.5 but Rob played dirty and Suns were cheated by Stern)

94% winning percentage of a team leading 2-0 :downspin:

enjoy getting older and watching the new Lakers dynasty begin

LakerLanny
05-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Come on Beleivers, where is the confidence? :lol

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Seriously the 1999 NBA season doesn't count. This isn't even worth discussing. And the Spurs STILL aren't a dynasty, they haven't even repeated yet. Hell they can't even get back to the Finals two years in a row let alone repeat. God Spurs fans really are delusional. Can you imagine having to cheer for the Spurs? Scary thought.

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:20 AM
14 championships + 1 this year > 3.5 (should really be 2.5 but Rob played dirty and Suns were cheated by Stern)

Typical Lakers bandwagoner. When the Lakers sucked, you hopped on the bandwagon of another team who played silly, trite basketball.

4>3

AND

16-3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>14-14

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Seriously the 1999 NBA season doesn't count. This isn't even worth discussing. And the Spurs STILL aren't a dynasty, they haven't even repeated yet. Hell they can't even get back to the Finals two years in a row let alone repeat. God Spurs fans really are delusional. Can you imagine having to cheer for the Spurs? Scary thought.

You guys were so clutch in the 1960's. Boston owns the fuck out of you.

crc21209
05-24-2008, 01:23 AM
94% winning percentage of a team leading 2-0

GO SUCK HOLLINGER OFF. NUMBERS DONT MEAN SHIT!

Lakers14Titles
05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Two embarrassing losses do though.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
You guys were so clutch in the 1960's. Boston owns the fuck out of you.

okay in my lifetime of cheering for the Lakers 8 championships. with another few coming in next few seasons. Man it feels great knowing my team is getting better and better. Everyone of our big 4 are in their 20's. Duncan is older than 32, so we'll be winning championships when you guys are tanking more seasons trying to get the first pick (it's not like any free agents want to play in SA) :downspin:

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Everyone of our big 4 are in their 20's.

Are you really counting Kobe, who turns thirty in like 3 months??

SpursDynasty
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Young teams feed off the home crowd (for example, New Orleans). Three of the next four are in SA.

Brox6
05-24-2008, 01:27 AM
Time to wake Manu Ginobili...Go Spurs...:flag:

Lakers Dynasty
05-24-2008, 01:32 AM
You think the Celtics are winning it, then?

16-3>>>>>>>>>>>14-14

and

4>3.

Lakers, my friend.

Lakers.

Celtics were a dynasty in the era of basketball when there weren't even ten teams in the league. The league was saved by Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

It now is the premier league of a truly international game.

The Spurs deserve respect for what they've accomplished in the current era. No doubt. But it is "accomplished" in the past tense.

The Lakers, however, were dominant at the beginning of this decade, faltered, and are reborn with a new dynasty in the making.

Lakers Dynasty, baby!

SRJ
05-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Celtics were a dynasty in the era of basketball when there weren't even ten teams in the league. The league was saved by Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

If we get to cherry pick when titles start to count, then only one team has dominated the 16-win playoffs era:

2003 San Antonio Spurs d. New Jersey Nets
2004 Detroit Pistons d. Los Angeles Lakers
2005 San Antonio Spurs d. Detroit Pistons
2006 Miami Heat d. Dallas Mavericks
2007 San Antonio Spurs d. Cleveland Cavaliers

You are as good as Cleveland. Congrats. :toast

Strike
05-24-2008, 01:41 AM

Yeah until they pull their heads out of their asses and play with some balls, they don't deserve to win.

I love the Spurs but I'm pissed right now.

GrandeDavid
05-24-2008, 07:21 PM

I drew the marathon analogy, so I'm in line with LJ's thoughts here. 2-2 series come Wednesday, and Game 5 will be up for grabs.

td4mvp21
05-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Good post. Even if we don't comeback there's no question this team has heart.

J.T.
05-24-2008, 08:17 PM
timvp, I think it's time to reinstate that one day ban rule that was imposed on Mavfans who shit on all the rally threads in 2006.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-24-2008, 08:23 PM
The Spurs will win the series.

slayermin
05-24-2008, 08:24 PM
baseball didnt give out a championship in it's strike year :downspin:

What about the 1981 LOS ANGELES Dodgers? They won a World Series in a strike shortened year?

Most Dodger fans I know are Laker fans and they get pissed when I bring them up.

Russ
05-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Lakers, my friend.

Lakers.

Celtics were a dynasty in the era of basketball when there weren't even ten teams in the league.

That's true. The 60's Celtics are overrated. There was no parity -- the Celtics just had to beat the same hapless team every year in the Finals.

century
05-24-2008, 08:51 PM
it seems the only miracles in the past were Horry playing dirty... (you guys would have lost to Phoenix last year otherwise)

And if your mother had aborted you, LA would be a slightly more intelligent city.

Russ
05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Duncan is older than 32, so we'll be winning championships when you guys are tanking more seasons trying to get the first pick (it's not like any free agents want to play in SA) :downspin:

You don't have a big four -- only a big two. And, FYI, the average age of our Big Three is seven months older than your Big Two. :)

FilSpursFan
05-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Having a HEART is... giving up first two games to the opponent but still win a series.

hsxvvd
05-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Game 1 Lakers win
Game 2 Lakers win
Game 3 Spurs win
Game 4 Lakers win
Game 5 Spurs win
Game 6 Spurs win
Game 7 Spurs win

This is how I see it happening.

cindyp601
05-24-2008, 09:15 PM
I do agree, timvp.

I am a bit concerned about manu's health.

I think he should have rested not playing tonight's game.

im a bit concerned about the whole team... last night's 30 point was horrible

E20
05-24-2008, 09:24 PM
It's time to shut the fucking Laker fans up. Manu will be ready for Game 3.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4089/1462f6a3d53052bc54340bdev7.jpg
yHhWAsPQ_LU

DazedAndConfused
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
The past NBA seasons are IRRELEVANT. All that matters is this series that is happening RIGHT NOW.

The way I see it unless the Spurs can get production out of Ginobli this series is over. They just can't put up enough pts to hang with the Lakers and their high scoring offense. Horry, Barry, Finley, Udoka.....one of these guys will have to step up each night and have a huge game when Ginobli doesn't.

genomefreak13
05-24-2008, 09:45 PM
The exact requirements for the label is a frequent topic of debate among sports fans."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty_(sports)

Your own source dooms you...the definition isn't really settled yet.

samikeyp
05-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Dynasty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is no one recognized definition so its all subjective. Being as such, there are only opinions, not fact and are not right or wrong.

genomefreak13
05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Lakers, my friend.

Lakers.

It now is the premier league of a truly international game.

The Spurs deserve respect for what they've accomplished in the current era. No doubt. But it is "accomplished" in the past tense.

The Lakers, however, were dominant at the beginning of this decade, faltered, and are reborn with a new dynasty in the making.

Lakers Dynasty, baby!

New Lakers dynasty doesn't doesn't happen till after your second championship . Stop counting chicks before the eggs hatch.

Lakers Dynasty
05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
New Lakers dynasty doesn't doesn't happen till after your second championship . Stop counting chicks before the eggs hatch.

Agreed. That's specifically why I used the phrase "dynasty in the making."

But it is to help guide your analysis of the now, and the next five years.

genomefreak13
05-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Agreed. That's specifically why I used the phrase "dynasty in the making."

But it is to help guide your analysis of the now, and the next five years.

:toast Lakers (dynasty in the making) baby!

Harry Callahan
05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Whatever the Spurs have in the tank will be left on that floor tomorrow. If the Lakers shoot 40-45%, this thing tightens up.

Harry Callahan
05-24-2008, 10:23 PM

Larry Bird's Celtics. Next!

Harry Callahan
05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
3.5 over ten years isnt dominant let alone a dynasty :lol

What? The Lakers were SWEPT by the Spurs that year. What a crock of s***. Last time I checked, Kobe and Shaq were on the floor. Stupid.

IronMexican
05-24-2008, 10:32 PM
What? The Lakers were SWEPT by the Spurs that year. What a crock of s***. Last time I checked, Kobe and Shaq were on the floor. Stupid.

that mans a tardm the spurs were clearly the better team that year, pay no dividends to him.

TD=old&busted
05-24-2008, 10:40 PM

larry bird's celtics were not a dynasty. only 3 champs spread out over 6 years with no back to back. :lol that is not a dynasty, even you guys did not call yourselves a dynasty till after the 4th. show me one publication stating larry bird's celtics were a dynasty

btw there can only be one ongoing dynasty and that my brother was the Lakers with 5 titles in the 80s (including back to back) :downspin:

Spurs Brazil
05-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Believe

It starts tonight

Cant_Be_Faded
05-25-2008, 01:27 PM
The Lakers suck xcore in most aspects of the game. Kobe's desire to be better than Jordan will not push his team to a championship.

Go spurs GOOOOO

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Whatever you ladies call most championships and highest winning % of any team in professional sports over the last decade, I'll take it.

Lakers_55
05-25-2008, 01:35 PM

There was no internet in the 80's when the Lakers and Celtics battled it out that decade for supremecy, so no fan debates existed outside of the papers and talk radio.....However, I lived through it. Let's look at a few facts....

Champs
1980 Lakers
1981 Celtics
1982 Lakers
1983 76rs
1984 Celtics
1985 Lakers
1986 Celtics
1987 Lakers
1988 Lakers

We were always +1 or even with Boston until after 1987. In 1987 we had 4 championships in 8 years and no one would give us dynasty status. Two reasons; No back-to-back, and 3 Celtic titles in our span with usually as many as we had. We won in 1988 and then had 5 in 9, and got the Dyansty title.

This compares similar to the Spurs success. You have 4 titles in 9 years, but there is a Laker dynasty with a 3peat interupting your run. If the Lakers win it all this year, we will have 4 championships in 9 years, but our dynasty can't go back to 2002. We have to start a new one by winning more.

If the Spurs want undisputed claim to Dyansty status, they need to win it all this year. That gives you a back to back and four titles in six years. You may date your dynasty from 2003, not 1999. The latter title is just a nice bonus for you. Right now, few people outside of San Antonio call you or believe you to be a dynasty. You are a incredibly great team, I don't detract from your success one bit. But Bird never got his dynasty, and Magic and Kareem came close to not getting theirs either.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
laker fan thinks championships in the 50s are relevant to his 14 year old life. props :tu

rayray2k8
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
1 is back...
Again.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
If the Spurs want undisputed claim to Dyansty status,

The Spurs don't care one way or the other. "Dynasties" are the stuff of tweedy little nerds like Mike Lupica.

Lakers_55
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
The Spurs don't care one way or the other. "Dynasties" are the stuff of tweedy little nerds like Mike Lupica.

Your fans are the ones that are claiming it. Dynasties are rare and you do have a chance to join the club and believe, me if you do, you will all boast it. However, instead of starting a new thread, let me give you plenty of ammunition for you to boast with. The term is called "Era"

We all know about the Bird/Magic era. when people talk about that era, we know of when they speak.

You Spurs fans have plenty of notable eras, an expert among you can date them correctly...

You have the:
ABA era
George Gervin era
The David Robinson era
The Tim Duncan era
The Big Three era
The Championship era (1999-date)
More to come....

Think about it, a lot of teams probably don't have more than one era they can claim. Now Spurs historians, define your eras and rightly boast about them!

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 02:07 PM
So some fans are claiming it.

Determining dynasties is just like determining who are great players. It is inherently subjective and an utter waste of time.

Ockham
05-25-2008, 02:14 PM
If the Spurs want undisputed claim to Dyansty status, they need to win it all this year. That gives you a back to back and four titles in six years. You may date your dynasty from 2003, not 1999. The latter title is just a nice bonus for you. Right now, few people outside of San Antonio call you or believe you to be a dynasty. You are a incredibly great team, I don't detract from your success one bit. But Bird never got his dynasty, and Magic and Kareem came close to not getting theirs either.

I guess I just don't understand why there's this much fuss. "Dynasty," as applied in sports contexts, simply isn't a well-defined term. Bickering about whether the Spurs (or the 80's Celtics or Lakers) count is like bickering over whether or not someone is bald in a borderline case. There are paradigm cases of sports dynasties, like the 60's Celtics and the 60's-70's Bruins, and there are vague cases, like the 80's Celtics. (Given that the Celtics won so many titles during the 80's, even the 80's Lakers' claim to dynasty-hood is up for debate.)

4 titles in 9 years, while boasting the best W-L% of any team in any major American sport? I'll take that, whatever you choose to call it (or not call it).

(But 5 titles in 10 years sure would be nice.)

DazedAndConfused
05-25-2008, 02:15 PM
If the Spurs win it all this year they will be an undisputed dynasty and considered the team of the decade hands down. They could not do anything for the next 20 years and people would still remember the sustained dominance they held throughout this decade.

If they don't, they will sadly be forgotten. That's just how it is in sports.

pooh
05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Time to make history or be history...just don't be like the Pistons last night and choke at home...then it will be over but the shouting.

urunobili
05-25-2008, 02:53 PM
i am so on this man...

Lakers_55
05-25-2008, 03:05 PM
4 titles in 9 years, while boasting the best W-L% of any team in any major American sport? I'll take that, whatever you choose to call it (or not call it).

(But 5 titles in 10 years sure would be nice.)

See, this is one of the big selling points of the current Spurs championship era I point out above. Your team is one of the most successful franchises in the NBA since they arrived from the ABA, plenty of WCF appearances and division titles. People will argue with a dynasty claim, but there is no denying an era. I post seriously here, and never talk smack. I love the board and enjoy the great fans here.

This is a Spurs message board, and you have some great writers. They need to put their heads together and define your eras based on my rough draft above and post them in new threads. I am here to read about basketball, and although I have been around pro basketball longer than the Spurs, I would sure love to read some great NBA history stuff about your team and relive it again. I just get frustrated having to sort through the trash the trolls love to post to find the good stuff.

Best of luck in game 3. Although I like our chances in the series, it isn't over by any means.

SPARKY
05-25-2008, 03:09 PM
If the Spurs win it all this year they will be an undisputed dynasty and considered the team of the decade hands down. They could not do anything for the next 20 years and people would still remember the sustained dominance they held throughout this decade.

If they don't, they will sadly be forgotten. That's just how it is in sports.

That's a rather stupid claim. One more championship won't change a thing one way or the other.

SenorSpur
05-25-2008, 03:15 PM
This reincarnated version of the Fakers has YEY to endure any adversity - drama, maybe - but no adversity. I don't expect them to simply "breeze" their way into the Finals.

The Spurs, on the other hand, have seen and endured just about everything. There are few situations that they've not encountered - including this one. I'm expecting the Spurs to now revise and recall their championship mettle and will their way back into this thing. In the process, planting seeds of doubt, as well as significant roadblocks into the mind of this young team.

The last book on this Spurs dynasty HAS NOT yet been written. The Spurs WILL prevail!

SenorSpur
05-25-2008, 03:30 PM
this post season shows how important home court is. home court was based on a half season. with a full season Kobe and Shaq would have gelled like they did the very next season and would have beat the spurs in 99 :downspin:

OK. So the season was only 50 games long. So what? The key words you used there is "would have". The fact remains is that your team DID NOT beat the Spurs. To show how shortsighted your point is, your team DID NOT just barely lose, THEY GOT SWEPT by the Spurs.

It's funny how most Fakers fans seem to forget that or simply discount how dominant that Spurs team was during that season. They were 15-2 during that championiship run.

td4mvp21
05-25-2008, 03:41 PM
OK. So the season was only 50 games long. So what? The key words you used there is "would have". The fact remains is that your team DID NOT beat the Spurs. To show how shortsighted your point is, your team DID NOT just barely lose, THEY GOT SWEPT by the Spurs.

It's funny how most Fakers fans seem to forget that or simply discount how dominant that Spurs team was during that season. They were 15-2 during that championiship run.

Don't expect Lakers fans to give ANY team in the league credit for anything.

cherylsteele
05-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Your fans are the ones that are claiming it. Dynasties are rare and you do have a chance to join the club and believe, me if you do, you will all boast it. However, instead of starting a new thread, let me give you plenty of ammunition for you to boast with. The term is called "Era"

We all know about the Bird/Magic era. when people talk about that era, we know of when they speak.

You Spurs fans have plenty of notable eras, an expert among you can date them correctly...

You have the:
ABA era
George Gervin era
The David Robinson era
The Tim Duncan era
The Big Three era
The Championship era (1999-date)
More to come....

Think about it, a lot of teams probably don't have more than one era they can claim. Now Spurs historians, define your eras and rightly boast about them!
The late 80's.....our crappy, Clipper-type era.

Spuradicator
05-25-2008, 04:33 PM

haven't you learned. We spot teams 2 games before we start playing a series.